PDA

View Full Version : Will Derrick Johnson Start Day 1

oaklandhater
04-25-2005, 06:18 PM
Wondering how many of you guys Think Dj will start day one ?

Oregon chief
04-25-2005, 06:19 PM
yes

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2005, 06:19 PM
Unless DV's ego is bigger than I think it is, yes.

Logical
04-25-2005, 06:20 PM
Lets put it another way.

We will find out who truly runs our defense. Assuming he is in camp from the start, if he does not start DV runs it. If yes then Gun does. It is just my opinion but DV has a problem with rookies.

oaklandhater
04-25-2005, 06:25 PM
Lets put it another way.

We will find out who truly runs our defense. Assuming he is in camp from the start, if he does not start DV runs it. If yes then Gun does. It is just my opinion but DV has a problem with rookies.

I have been saying that for years Allen and Larry Jhonson are more then
Enough proof that DV hates Starting Rookies.

eazyb81
04-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Who's Jhonson?

Seriously, Vermeil shouldn't really get any say on whether DJ starts or not. Gun is the D coordinator, and he isn't insecure like Vermeil is about playing rookies. Like I said in another post, I have 100% faith that Gun will start the best players, and DJ will be in the starting lineup. He might not be in the 1st or 2nd game, but he will definately be a starter after a couple games.

CosmicPal
04-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Considering what's available right now in that position- I think it will be a resounding YES.

Sure-Oz
04-25-2005, 06:33 PM
There is no reason he shouldn't start.

Count Zarth
04-25-2005, 06:34 PM
Duh!

milkman
04-25-2005, 07:00 PM
DJ, right now, without ever having played a down in the NFL, is one of the two best LBs on our roster.

There is no way he isn't starting.

royr17
04-25-2005, 07:01 PM
I picked yes, Too Good and Too Much Talent to not start.

Inspector
04-25-2005, 08:12 PM
Lets put it another way.

Exactly!

I'm expecting him to NOT start based on DV's apparent "no rookie starters" stance he seems to stick with most of the time.

That can be a real pisser too. Especially when you have reason to believe the rook is better than the one in front of him. :banghead:

rocks
04-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Yes, if he is signed before the season starts. Anyone know who his agent is??

Skip Towne
04-25-2005, 08:25 PM
Lets put it another way.

VD is full of shit on his treatment of rookies. He kept telling us LJ wasn't ready and pissed him off royally. Enough where he wanted to leave town. Then both Priest and Blaylock went down and VD HAD to use LJ. And he rip shit tore ass. Not ready my dying ass. I'll never believe VD again. The old f*cker is senile.

whoman69
04-25-2005, 08:40 PM
I don't know at what point that DV stopped trusting rookies to start. He had no problems starting rookies when he was in Philadelphia and St. Louis.

jcroft
04-25-2005, 08:43 PM
I don't know at what point that DV stopped trusting rookies to start. He had no problems starting rookies when he was in Philadelphia and St. Louis.

Probably at the point that he started having CP draft shitty rookies.

Seriously, let's look at our first round picks since DV was here:

Sims (not in camp, not ready on day one)
L. Johnson (we had Holmes, plus he was being a crybaby)

If D. Johnson makes it to camp and works hard, he'll start. He's a good pick at a position of need.

Wallcrawler
04-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Well, for day one, Derrick Johnson has to be one of our top 3 linebackers available.

Shawn Barber wont be ready with the knee, Keyaron Fox has no regular season playing time, Fujita could be missing in action with the ankle, and the prospect of playing Mitchell on the outside over Johnson is just ridiculous.

I would think now that with the addition of Johnson, the Chiefs go ahead and put Barber on the PUP list, which takes him out until at least week 6.

I figure that after training camp and preseason, our linebackers will be Derrick Johnson at ROLB, Kendrell Bell in the middle, and Fujita playing LOLB.

If Fujita isnt able to go either, it all but guarantees Derrick Johnson starting in the opener on one side or the other.

I dont see any sane reason why you would take a player of Derrick Johnson's caliber and NOT get him on the field as soon as possible. There is no better learning tool than actual game experience. Let him get out there and contribute.

As said, if Gun is in charge of the defense, we will see Derrick Johnson early and often.

Hydrae
04-25-2005, 09:44 PM
I voted yes due to Barber. However there has to be a huge IF due to Carl's history with first round picks and getting them signed in time to get ready to play.

digi2fish
04-25-2005, 10:13 PM
Hell Yeah!!!

mcan
04-26-2005, 12:37 AM
He won't start right away. He can't learn to play NFL defense without ever having been in a game. I believe he will get signed very quickly, and he'll be in training camp. He'll make mistakes, and get burned. He'll feel lost... For awhile.

But he'll probably start to feel pretty good about what he's doing after the third week of preseason. He'll get some playing time, but mostly it will be special teams for him for the first couple weeks. Expect him to take over for Fujita around week 4.

Mitchell certainly won't start on the other side though. Until Barber is ready it's Caver's job. Personally I think a FA linebacker after June 1st is a good bet. But, I've been pretty high on Caver, and I'd like to see what he can do next to a good middle linebacker (he was a rising star with the Eagles next to Trotter).

Wallcrawler
04-26-2005, 01:55 AM
I thought Quinton Caver was released. He wasnt tendered by the Chiefs, not that I know of, unless it just happened very recently.

tk13
04-26-2005, 02:13 AM
It'll be tough to keep him off the field. If he's not starting, he'll be playing day 1 I think. He's too talented to keep off the field.

Logical
04-26-2005, 02:20 AM
...But, I've been pretty high on Caver, and I'd like to see what he can do next to a good middle linebacker (he was a rising star with the Eagles next to Trotter).

He was? Then why did they release him mid season?

Herzig
04-26-2005, 05:56 AM
I thought Quinton Caver was released. He wasnt tendered by the Chiefs, not that I know of, unless it just happened very recently.

Caver was resigned...not sure about the terms. Here you go.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=196&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=83&sti=k

htismaqe
04-26-2005, 06:30 AM
I'm with Jim on this one.

I'm so sour on DV that if Johnson doesn't start, there's no way to convince me it wasn't CryBaby's idea...

ptlyon
04-26-2005, 07:31 AM
I agree with mcan here. We have never started rookies, at least in the first game. Look at Shields.

It would be great to be at home, and introducing our defense, and have the crowd go nuts when they announce his name, but I just don't see it happening.

Ron Jaworski
04-26-2005, 07:41 AM
I'll never believe VD again. The old f*cker is senile.

Well then you both have something in common. ;)

Manila-Chief
04-26-2005, 09:36 AM
I voted no because I do not have faith that C.P. will get him signed and into camp in time for him to get prepared. Also, voted no because DV doesn't like to play rookies.

But, I think he ought to start the season on the left side. If he is as good as advertized then let him earn his money and learn on the fly. It will only make us better down the home stretch.

Chiefnj
04-26-2005, 09:49 AM
If the best 4-3 linebacker in the draft can't start on a team that has had the 32nd and 31st ranked defenses the last two years then the coaching staff should be shipped off to Division 1-AA.

Skip Towne
04-26-2005, 09:49 AM
Well then you both have something in common. ;)
Here's a red square for you shit-for-brains.

Coogs
04-26-2005, 09:51 AM
If the best 4-3 linebacker in the draft can't start on a team that has had the 32nd and 31st ranked defenses the last two years then the coaching staff should be shipped off to Division 1-AA.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Skip Towne
04-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Whoa!! Make that two red squares. With only one shot too.

Manila-Chief
04-26-2005, 10:06 AM

Ouch! Funny!! and I totally agree with you!!!

Since you put it in those terms.

SCTrojan
04-26-2005, 10:19 AM
I voted yes. My hope is that Gunther has more influence in his second year and DV has read the writing on the wall about his 32 defense.

That's all assuming that DJ is in camp from the beginning and we don't pick up some post-June 1 LB shocker.

Ron Jaworski
04-26-2005, 10:24 AM

Wow, I guess I must've struck a nerve. Sorry for the honesty. :p You should know that Dick Vermeil is the greatest coach of all time. He really connects with his players. And he's got that blueprint for success. :thumb:

Lzen
04-26-2005, 10:32 AM
That's a great clip in your sig, oaklandhater. But dang, did it have to be one of him blowing up my Jayhawks? Ouch.

Gravedigger
04-26-2005, 10:53 AM
There is no way that DJ doesn't start. Not only is he our #1 pick and his talent reflects his stature but with our depleted LB core with barber maz and fujita having injury issues and/or surgery recently we have to start him. He will get better through experience not from sitting on the sidelines and watching bell and fujita knock helmets.

oaklandhater
07-12-2005, 03:23 AM
There is no way that DJ doesn't start. Not only is he our #1 pick and his talent reflects his stature but with our depleted LB core with barber maz and fujita having injury issues and/or surgery recently we have to start him. He will get better through experience not from sitting on the sidelines and watching bell and fujita knock helmets.

If he misses training camp i dont think he will start:(

Electric
07-12-2005, 04:04 AM
I would ask if DT started on day one. I realize it's with a different coach and different circumstances, but how many rookies start day one with the Chiefs?

Wallcrawler
07-12-2005, 12:33 PM
Vermiel had no problems starting Torry Holt in 99 with the Rams.

I think you have to look at who the rookies are, and what position they are before you just go off and say Vermiel doesnt want to play rookies.

Snoop Minnis started in his first regular season game as a Chief, and torched Charles Woodson with a diving td catch in the endzone to tie the game and force OT.

Ryan Sims was extremely late getting in, and was a lardass when he got here. I can hardly blame DV for keeping him out. Even when he did get in, he got himself hurt and put on injured reserve.

Larry Johnson, when he first got here was going to be playing behind Priest Holmes and Derrick Blaylock, both of whom were productive backs, knew the system, and moreover COULD BLOCK FOR TRENT GREEN. Dick Vermiel stated bluntly that he would not put Larry Johnson in the backfield with his starting quarterback if he could not pick up his assignment in the blocking scheme. Those of you that watched Johnson play in the pre-season saw his shitty blocking skills, so I find that statement by DV to be well founded.

He had to sit a year, and learn the system. Boo effin hoo. He got his chance, and now he's the backup to Priest Holmes.

You dont just start a rookie just for the sake of saying that youre starting a rookie. Why start Larry Johnson when you have Holmes and Blaylock? Why start Ryan Sims when he's not in playing form? We havent had too many rookies in here where it made sense to demand that they start.

I think that when the opener rolls around, the best three linebackers we have will be starting. Right now, I have to believe that Derrick Johnson is one of those three. It may take him a game or two to adjust to the speed, but he has the athletecism required to still play and be a solid contributor to the defense. He is only going to get better with each game.

whoman69
07-12-2005, 12:47 PM
If the Chiefs are looking to have the most talent on the field at any time, DJ will start.

Pants
07-12-2005, 12:49 PM
What Crawler said.

KChiefs1
07-12-2005, 01:50 PM
I believe from the comments I've heard from Gun that DJ is going to be starting vs the Jets on 09/11.

KCChiefsMan
07-12-2005, 01:51 PM
if he is signed = yes

nascher
07-12-2005, 02:05 PM
yes i have no doubt after OTA's + Minicamp.

Based on Gunthers and Dickies ;) comments it's pretty sure that DJ will start Week 1.