PDA

View Full Version : Gee, who would have thought?

Chief Nathan
12-28-2000, 12:06 PM
Well you know Al, like the hide of a triceratops, ratings this year were kind of tough....

"Despite all the hoopla about Dennis Miller in the Monday Night Football booth, ABC conceded that MNF had its WORST ratings season in history in 2000."

[This message has been edited by jl80 (edited 12-28-2000).]

Dr. Red
12-28-2000, 01:25 PM
I attribute the low ratings to two things [neither of them Dennis].
1. Quality opposition. Usually, the other networks laid down for the MNF juggernaut. But, 'Ally McBeal' has a strong following and 'Everybody Loves Raymond' is on eof the best shows on TV. Likewise, 'Family Law' and 'Third Watch' are quality shows.
2. The Election. For all our puported ennui, the viewing public was GLUED to Foxnews, CNN, and MSNBC throughout the evening from November to mid-December.

Sad too, as this season had some of the BEST MNF games ever.

Chief Nathan
12-28-2000, 01:35 PM
I actually think the biggest problem is those 9:00 est starts in attempt to lure in the West Coast audience...Most people on the East coast and Midwest lose interest knowing they won't be able see the finish.

morphius
12-28-2000, 01:59 PM
IMO the stomach-churning WWF is the single biggest reason that MNF is hurting, because this was the best season of Monday night games I've ever seen. Jets-Dolphins and Rams-Bucs were classics.

redhed
12-28-2000, 02:10 PM
Clint,
You hit the nail right on the head. Pro wrestling takes the NFL target group away every Monday. Wrestling is the highest rated show on TV. Pay per view leaders are dominated by wrestling shows. I don't get it but I don't think Dennis Miller or anybody is going to dent these ratings. This years MNF games were some of the best I have ever witnessed.

Dave Lane
12-28-2000, 02:12 PM
They need to start the Monday night games a little earlier. It's hard to stay up past midnight to watch the games when you've got to wake up early the next morning.

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

Baby Lee
12-28-2000, 02:14 PM
Here's a thought: Replace Fouts & Miller with Jesse Ventura & The Rock. At least the Rock was a football player.

Chief Nathan
12-28-2000, 02:29 PM
Wrestling drawing a bigger audience than MNF is a misconception...They never have. They do take a lot of their would be viewers...But MNF on it's worst night still draw about double of what wrestling does. Case you want to look at the actual ratings and audience numbers:
http://tv.zap2it.com/news/ratings/sports/001127sport.html

Gracie Dean
12-28-2000, 02:39 PM
Melissa Stark was a good start. Stark Naked would be even better. They need her in a bathing suit even at the cold games, goose bumbs, nip bumps & all! More cheerleader face time & less Fouts, Miller face time.

[This message has been edited by KPhobia (edited 12-28-2000).]

Dr. Red
12-28-2000, 02:41 PM
I think the term ir 'Stark naked.'

Gracie Dean
12-28-2000, 02:41 PM
That's what I was thinking, JC. Dunno how that came out Start Nude. I'll fix it. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

Baby Lee
12-28-2000, 02:44 PM
The only reason MNF still beats rasslin' is because rasslin' is on cable and MNF isn't. Put WWF on NBC monday night, and it'll beat MNF.

Hopefully, this will NEVER happen.

Chief Nathan
12-28-2000, 02:55 PM
That is not actually true either...It is much closer but even ESPN's losing Sunday night matchups out do rasslin:
http://tv.zap2it.com/news/ratings/cable/001204cable.html

Baby Lee
12-28-2000, 03:08 PM
That's a little misleading, because WWF comes on at 9:00, and ESPN sunday night football comes on at 8:30.

Think of all the trailers that don't have a dish yet. If rasslin' were on NBC oppositte MNF, I think it would win.

Just a hunch........

Chief Nathan
12-28-2000, 03:20 PM
MI,

With this current push of a free receiver and dish with a new subscription should really help infiltrate the trailer parks as long as DirecTv doesn't run a credit check.