PDA

View Full Version : KCChiefs.com answers/ideas

cobra88
04-26-2005, 08:24 AM
1. Behind the scenes video - it's on our list and we'll be making some features.

2. Video highlights - we include them in the game summaries:

http://www.kcchiefs.com/stats/

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/10/31/game_summary/

RSS has been HUGE for us - thanks.

3. WAP site - since our site is CSS/XHTML/504c compliant any device that is "standards compliant" (compliant browser - which many PDA devices DON'T use) the site AUTOMATICALLY formats for the given device - I can surf on my Treo 600 just fine.

4. Team History - I'll load up even more sections of the media guide via PDF. Formatting it for the web is a LONG work in progress. The media guide is being done now and I'll load up sections as they are ready. THIS IS A PRIORITY.

Drop down menus - YUK! ALL of our links are in the RIGHT HAND column of a particular section - I may reintroduce them for the 2006 season.

5. Historical Rosters - Don't have them digitally and the media guide just refers to "starters." The PDF's of the All-Time roster and "#" roster are PDF's on the site now.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/alltime/

6. TAILGATE INTERVIEWS - Excellent idea and one we'll talk about today.

7. GAMEBOOKS - Read them - we post a link in the summary each game.

8. Training Camp - Labor/time crunch - we're trying to do more but logisics are tough for this. We're working on it.

9. Inspector post - why we don't have Chiefs "official" fan forum/message boards. You all do it better. If we ever do them you would have to reveal your true identities. Are you all willing to give up anomynity? I'm not sure we would have that many fans sign-up but I could be wrong.

10. Please post replies here of your ideas.

Thanks!

KCChiefs.com

|Zach|
04-26-2005, 08:28 AM
Awesome, thanks for the input. You guys must work long and hard with all the stuff on there. There is nothing fast about that work.

Phobia
04-26-2005, 08:32 AM
9. Inspector post - why we don't have Chiefs "official" fan forum/message boards. You all do it better. If we ever do them you would have to reveal your true identities. Are you all willing to give up anomynity? I'm not sure we would have that many fans sign-up but I could be wrong.

I think we like that answer. I'd hate to have to compete with a Chiefs official message board.

What do you think about publishing a list of Chiefs fan sites, player sites, and Chiefs related charities? I'd be happy to do the research for you. All you'd have to do is plug them in.

Essentially, make a comprehensive section for the fans - steered by them with the content they'd be interested in. Many, many fans come into town for the game and want to know what they can do over the weekend. Where are the players going to be signing autographs, etc.

penguinz
04-26-2005, 08:35 AM
3. WAP site - since our site is CSS/XHTML/504c compliant
I hate to tell you this but it is not XHTML compliant.

You have 47 errors on your home page.

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//kcchiefs.com/

Count Zarth
04-26-2005, 08:35 AM
The Broncos site has a nice little feature that I've been wishing kcchiefs.com would copy for awhile now...

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=362

Phobia
04-26-2005, 08:37 AM
Hey, penguinz - I'll give you a few minutes to fix that formating. If you can't, please PM it to him. Otherwise I'm going to delete it.

Chiefnj
04-26-2005, 08:38 AM
The site has improved lately. The draft coverage was very good.

Three suggestions. First, go see the Jaguars board and see the "Ask Vic" column. It would be nice for KC fans to have a feature like that, and please don't tell me that Gretz already does this.

Second, during the regular season I'd like to see a "Hardest Hit of the Week" contest. Show three or four of the best hits from the latest game, and let the fans vote on the hardest hit. Maybe you can get a sponsor who can donate a small sum of money to the winner's charity.

Third, this is going to seem trivial, but the cheerleaders need a better photographer. Every offseason threads abound various Chief fan sites about the overall hideousness of the cheerleaders when compared to the rest of the NFL. The photographs on the site don't do the ladies justice.

penguinz
04-26-2005, 08:38 AM
Sorry about that. When copying and pasting from Firefox on a mac it tends to copy the html coding which caused that screwup.

Phobia
04-26-2005, 08:41 AM
Third, this is going to seem trivial, but the cheerleaders need a better photographer. Every offseason threads abound various Chief fan sites about the overall hideousness of the cheerleaders when compared to the rest of the NFL. The photographs on the site don't do the ladies justice.

Seconded. If you need support on this, I could provide links to every message board - each had a thread about the cheerleaders when the 2005 photos came out. It's not the girls, it's the photography.

Phobia
04-26-2005, 08:41 AM
Sorry about that. When copying and pasting from Firefox on a mac it tends to copy the html coding which caused that screwup.

No biggy. Thanks for fixing it quickly. Nothing kills a thread faster than screwy formatting and I think this is a very important thread.

big nasty kcnut
04-26-2005, 08:42 AM
Well get all your video stuff on windows media.
Plus better cheerleaders pictures.
Also one other thing have trivia contests.

Thank for letting us put some input. You guys do an awesome job.

cobra88
04-26-2005, 08:54 AM
1. Phobia - Yes. There are other issues involved but this needs to be done and we'll look into it.

Chiefs board would only happen if we had a sponsor for big $'s

2. XHTML compliant - Very good. I'm well aware of that. The publishing system is compliant and does try to fix stuff as it is input - BUT the PR staff can override it - thus errors. Also, video in and of itself isn't 504c sompliant.

3. gochiefs - seems we should do that...I'll see.

4. Chiefnj - Ask the Chiefs - may just do that. We're thinking about that as well as a bunch of more interactive features.

Hardest hit - we're hamstrung by NFL films for video clips. We CAN'T use our own video due ot NFL restrictions - same goes for why we use only Real Video - the league pays for it (sponsored by Real) and we would have to pay (th Chiefs) to set-up WMA etc.

Cheer photog - you're preaching to the choir. Loud and clear.

5. Contest/sweepstakes etc. - We're always looking to do something. Hang on.

KEEP IT COMING

jcroft
04-26-2005, 09:03 AM
I hate to tell you this but it is not XHTML compliant.

You have 47 errors on your home page.

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//kcchiefs.com/

Almost all of these errors are non-closed br tags and unencoded HTML entities. Very minor errors which will not affect the site's portability to cell phones, etc.

Yes, there are errors, and they should be fixed, but a quick look at the source code will show that this site was clearly designed with an eye towards standards compliance. When a site is constantly updated with new content, there are bound to be errors once in a while. Get over it. The Chiefs have clearly made standards a priority, which is more than can be said for nearly every other team site out there. If it doesn't perfectly validate 100% of the time, it's still a step in the right direction.

The site was designed by Zeldman, who quite literally wrote the book on web standards. Pointing out piddly little errors that you never would have noticed if not for the validator is like telling Picasso that his brushstrokes aren't quite right. Give the dude a break.

jspchief
04-26-2005, 09:04 AM
Drop down menus - YUK! ALL of our links are in the RIGHT HAND column of a particular section - I may reintroduce them for the 2006 season.

Not sure what your aversion is to Drop down menus. Personally, I prefer to be able to click directly on the link of where I want to go. Why would anyone prefer to have to watch an extra page load?

Besides, as you begin to add content, they will be invaluable to quick site navigation. Say I want to find a 2001 roster. Maybe I click on "The team" thinking that will have historical rosters. Now I've wasted my time waiting for the wrong page to load. Then I click "Team History", wait for that to load, then click "historical rosters". See where I'm going? I could have gone directly to the page I wanted if I would have been able to hover over links to find drop down menus.

jcroft
04-26-2005, 09:11 AM
Not sure what your aversion is to Drop down menus. Personally, I prefer to be able to click directly on the link of where I want to go. Why would anyone prefer to have to watch an extra page load?

Besides, as you begin to add content, they will be invaluable to quick site navigation. Say I want to find a 2001 roster. Maybe I click on "The team" thinking that will have historical rosters. Now I've wasted my time waiting for the wrong page to load. Then I click "Team History", wait for that to load, then click "historical rosters". See where I'm going? I could have gone directly to the page I wanted if I would have been able to hover over links to find drop down menus.

Not to speak for him, but most web designers' aversion to drop down menus, historically speaking, is that it can get complex to make them work in all browsers. Now, on today's web, you can use pure CSS dropdowns, or standard ECMA/DOM scripting and make it work quite well.

But I think many web designers object to them just because they've have bad experiences in the past.

|Zach|
04-26-2005, 09:12 AM
I have a tough time making clean drop downs.

cobra88
04-26-2005, 09:27 AM
jcroft - You're spot on. Zeldman CRINGE's at some of the stuff we throw out. Yes, drop downs can now be done quite effectively and when we do a revamped site for '06 they will probably be implemented.

FWIW - We FIRMLY believe in web standards and everyhting is geared with that in mind. We place a premium on the site loading fast. What we won't be is a "flashy - GRAPHICS intensive - eye candy type of site. Some people complain that's what they want - sorry to disappoint.

If there are other ?'s about why/how we do things I'll try to provide a quick answers.

EXCELLENT discussion.

AustinChief
04-26-2005, 09:29 AM
I have a tough time making clean drop downs.
Get more fiber in your diet.

|Zach|
04-26-2005, 09:31 AM
Everyone is a comedian on Chiefs Planet. :)

jcroft
04-26-2005, 09:34 AM

ROFL

Monty
04-26-2005, 09:38 AM
First of all, thanks for listening, it's really appreciated.

In regards to tailgating, are there any restrictions regarding the setting up of a webcam for tailgating parties? I've been wanting to do this for years, but as I don't live in the area, I've not really pursued this. Just wanted to check to make sure this is allowed before I start the research to make it happen.

If you see Donna Scott, tell her I said hi. :)

penguinz
04-26-2005, 09:40 AM
Pointing out piddly little errors that you never would have noticed if not for the validator
Piddly littel errors are just a sign of sloppiness. And yes I would have seen them without the validator. Is easy to see impropper tags when viewing the source.

jcroft
04-26-2005, 09:45 AM
Piddly littel errors are just a sign of sloppiness. And yes I would have seen them without the validator. Is easy to see impropper tags when viewing the source.

Fine, but my point remains in tact. They are trying, and the core templates of their site validates. They obviously have some legacy CMS that spits out a bit of bad code or a few people who occasionally make a mistake, but to jump all over them about it when they are far, far better than most sites out there is just stupid.

They're trying. Leave them alone.

headsnap
04-26-2005, 09:52 AM
FWIW - We FIRMLY believe in web standards and everyhting is geared with that in mind. We place a premium on the site loading fast. What we won't be is a "flashy - GRAPHICS intensive - eye candy type of site. Some people complain that's what they want - sorry to disappoint.

:clap:

:thumb:

tyton75
04-26-2005, 09:53 AM
I liked the vote for hardest hits from the previous game. If you can't run video.. maybe you could still run action stills??

nothing like a closeup of someones face contorted in agony after getting the wood laid to them... (haven't seen any of that since Clemons crushed McNairs chest) but still...

penguinz
04-26-2005, 09:55 AM
I did not jump all over them. All I did was inform them that the site was not valid when he said it was. It is constructive criticism.

jcroft
04-26-2005, 09:59 AM
I liked the vote for hardest hits from the previous game. If you can't run video.. maybe you could still run action stills??

nothing like a closeup of someones face contorted in agony after getting the wood laid to them... (haven't seen any of that since Clemons crushed McNairs chest) but still...

I'm not sure picture of wood being laid are appropriate fare for KCChiefs.com.

:D

jcroft
04-26-2005, 10:00 AM
I did not jump all over them. All I did was inform them that the site was not valid when he said it was. It is constructive criticism.

Okay, fine.

Iowanian
04-26-2005, 10:18 AM
I see that you took note of my suggestions previously, but I wanted to reitterate them here.

I'd like to see historical Rosters. It comes up regularly in discussion and would be a well used resource at least by "us".

I don't know exactly what I'd like to see from Tailgating, but as much as the Chiefs promote the "Arrowhead Atmosphere" it would make sense if they acknowledged the better tailgates....I think Tips from long time tailgaters could range from Favorite or BBQ Recipes and menus, supplies to bring, cold/hot/rainy weather tips etc. Follow some of the "superfans" around the parking lot for a game........See how many kids get their pic taken with Weirdwolf.
***particularly, I think Coverage of the 37forever event tailgate would be GREAT promo.

Fan comment BEFORE AND AFTER games...both WINS and Losses should be included. not just a reach around for Carl...........

As a fan, I don't need fancy graphics and clips on the main board..........solid Content and easy use is much better IMO.

Iowanian
04-26-2005, 10:18 AM
I think you should make way, and hire Iowanian for special commentary and reply to Bob Gretz and Co.

big nasty kcnut
04-26-2005, 10:19 AM
Here one more thing. Make the site have some download like i would like the tomahawk chop theme.

Also on the front page have a welcome clip from boomer or dante.

Iowanian
04-26-2005, 10:22 AM
now that I think about it...........

I think a weekly "guest columnist" chosen by you from the message boards might be cool. There are some insiteful, well written, clever futhermuckers on the boards. Comment on the game of the week, season, et al.

jcroft
04-26-2005, 10:25 AM
I think you should make way, and hire Iowanian for special commentary and reply to Bob Gretz and Co.

Oh man. I fear for the general KCChiefs.com-going public.

:D

jcroft
04-26-2005, 10:28 AM
now that I think about it...........

I think a weekly "guest columnist" chosen by you from the message boards might be cool. There are some insiteful, well written, clever futhermuckers on the boards. Comment on the game of the week, season, et al.

There are even some of us who would never use the term "futhermuckers" in public. :D

Seriously, I like the idea of an occasional fan column. I'm sure it'd have to be approved and such, but you could solicit submissions on the site and post the ones that King Carl felt kissed his ass enough.

C-Mac
04-26-2005, 10:54 AM
There are even some of us who would never use the term "futhermuckers" in public. :D

Seriously, I like the idea of an occasional fan column. I'm sure it'd have to be approved and such, but you could solicit submissions on the site and post the ones that King Carl felt kissed his ass enough.

"Fan Feedback" would be basically equivelent to editorials and obviously could be screened. Would definetly increase hits on the site.
:thumb:

nascher
04-27-2005, 03:07 PM
How about updating the player bios and adding the missing player pictures ? :)

Phobia
04-27-2005, 03:19 PM

Gents, the occasional fan column has been done. It's done frequently, in fact. It was Carl Peterson's idea. Some of our regulars are here as a result of that fan column. Haven't you heard of IdahoJim?