PDA

View Full Version : If you could resurrect ONE chiefs player from the past...

Frankie
04-26-2005, 03:26 PM
for the current club, who would it be?

I love Len Dawson. My all time favorite Chiefs player (arguably) is Otis Taylor. BUT, for this team I would resurrect Willie Lanier.

(My second choice is Derrick Thomas, but people promise that Derrick Johnson will do a fairly good impression of DT.)

jcroft
04-26-2005, 03:27 PM
DT.

cdcox
04-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Buck Buchanon

MOhillbilly
04-26-2005, 03:28 PM
w/out a doubt DT.
In my book he'd be so far ahead there wouldnt be a second place.

tyton75
04-26-2005, 03:29 PM
Willie Lanier or DT... its hard to decide which.. probably DT because of the passrush he could give us

Duck Dog
04-26-2005, 03:30 PM
No doubt in my mind, it would DT.

big nasty kcnut
04-26-2005, 03:31 PM
DT or my man Len Dawson

beavis
04-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Harvey Williams.

Frankie
04-26-2005, 03:32 PM
There was something reassuring about that "Gorilla" helmet in the middle of the 'D' and the player who enforced the image. We don't have anything close to WL. But DJ is supposed to be fairly close to DT. So my choice is still Lanier.

Saulbadguy
04-26-2005, 03:33 PM
Bobby Bell.

Frankie
04-26-2005, 03:33 PM
DT or my man Len Dawson
I think Green is approaching "Dawson" territory.

Frankie
04-26-2005, 03:34 PM
Bobby Bell.
Another choice I struggled with. But the same DJ reasoning prevailed.

Hoover
04-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Um, I'll take Joe Montana

Saulbadguy
04-26-2005, 03:37 PM
There was something reassuring about that "Gorilla" helmet in the middle of the 'D' and the player who enforced the image. We don't have anything close to WL. But LJ is supposed to be fairly close to DT. So my choice is still Lanier.
Larry Johnson?

Ultra Peanut
04-26-2005, 03:39 PM
DT.

cdcox
04-26-2005, 03:40 PM
We've made significant improvements to both the LB corps and the secondary. We haven't done anything for the DL, so I went with Hall of Famer Buck Buchanon to anchor the defense and protect our shiney new LB from blockers.

ChiefsOne
04-26-2005, 03:42 PM
I think we have done this before, but I'll play again.

DT with out a doubt. No one else have meant so much to our team yet.

royr17
04-26-2005, 03:43 PM
No doubt in my mind it would be DT, I mean come on you could have DJ at LOLB, Kendrell Bell in the middle, and DT at ROLB.

Also i'd bring back James Hasty and have Hasty and Surtain.

royr17
04-26-2005, 03:43 PM
But for just 1 guy my vote goes too DT

Frankie
04-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Larry Johnson?
Thanks for the correction. I fixed my posts.
:)

Chest Rockwell
04-26-2005, 03:46 PM
We've made significant improvements to both the LB corps...

Heh...you almost said "corpse" in a "resurrection" thread. I'm probably the only idget that thinks that's funny.

Speaking of corpses, I'm just shocked that no one has said Trezelle yet.

Frankie
04-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Um, I'll take Joe Montana Montana is more of a 9er than Chief.

penguinz
04-26-2005, 03:47 PM
Keith Cash :P

Psyko Tek
04-26-2005, 03:48 PM
DT

big nasty kcnut
04-26-2005, 03:48 PM
Mike garrett also a player i want to see back.

Gravedigger
04-26-2005, 03:49 PM
I would have to say Derrick Thomas I don't think there is any question. My other favorite ressurrection would have to be the Nigerian Nightmare Christian Okoye.

Thig Lyfe
04-26-2005, 03:55 PM
DT would definitely help the most. He'd single-handedly propel the Chiefs to a top-tier D again.

Frankie
04-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Mike garrett also a player i want to see back.
"Also" don't cut it. Has to be the one and only player you'd bring back.

DTLB58
04-26-2005, 03:58 PM
DT
Albert Lewis
Willie Lanier
Ed Podolak
Otis Taylor
Jerrel Wilson

In that order :)

Frankie
04-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Honorable mention: Kimble Anders

Chief Henry
04-26-2005, 04:11 PM
#14 Ed Podalak

Skip Towne
04-26-2005, 04:17 PM
#55 EJ Holub. Played both Center and LB.

LamarJr
04-26-2005, 04:30 PM
wow tough call....specifically for this years team huh? I name some nominees that would specifically fill the needs this team has....remember I'll be leaving out some HOFer's.

Nominees would be:

Defense:
DL:
Buck Buchanan
Art Still
Curley Culp
LB:
Bobby Bell
Willie Lanier
Derrick Thomas
CB:
Emmitt Thomas
Albert Lewis
S:
Johnny Robinson
Deron Cherry

Offense:
OL:
Dave Hill
WR:
Otis Taylor
Carlos Carson

Special Teams:
PK:
Jan Stenerud
Nick Lowery
P:
Jerrel Wilson

based on what would get this team to the Super Bowl, you'd have to go defense...is the Chiefs DL good enough? Sure it could use a Buck, Curley or Art, but it's passable. Does this current Chiefs team need secondary help? Yes, but with the additions of Surtain & Knight, it's not as glaring. Does this current Chiefs team needs LBer's? HELL YES! So, it comes down to Bell, Lanier or DT for the spot. One offers the most amazing pass rush abilities I've ever seen and another offers the most ferocious sideline to sideline tackler God ever created, but my choice is really easy because Bobby Bell was simply the greatest athlete to ever have played with the Chiefs. The younger crowd doesn't realize that Bell was LT before there was an LT. The guy could run like a deer & hit like a Mack truck. He also was the Chiefs long-snapper.

I therefore nominate:

BOBBY BELL

FloridaChief
04-26-2005, 04:38 PM
but my choice is really easy because Bobby Bell was simply the greatest athlete to ever have played with the Chiefs. The younger crowd doesn't realize that Bell was LT before there was an LT. The guy could run like a deer & hit like a Mack truck. He also was the Chiefs long-snapper.

And the emergency QB. As well, Bell could kick 60+ yard FG's in practice. Stram once said that a team could plug Bell into *any* position, offense or defense, and that team could win a championship. Bell was certainly the most pure football player to have ever worn the Red & Gold. Arguably, the best player in the history of the league...

patteeu
04-26-2005, 04:59 PM
Until the Surtain trade, I would have said Albert Lewis. Now I will go with:

1. Deron Cherry (Cherry would be perfect for the new rules NFL)
2. Willie Lanier (Would be the stud in the middle between Bell and Johnson)
3. Jan Stenarud or Nick Lowery (No more kicking problems)

CoMoChief
04-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Len Dawson is a piece of shit. Huge asshole in public. Was hurt all year in that Super Bowl season until late season. I have a friend that works for KMBC and he says Len reads ANYTHING you put on the teleprompter. He has NO journalism expirience and is just a figure head. Huge asshole though.........DT is the one to be.

Coach
04-26-2005, 05:11 PM
I would have loved to see Joe Delaney.

penchief
04-26-2005, 05:14 PM
Great idea for a thread. I'd have to say Willie Lanier.

Skip Towne
04-26-2005, 05:21 PM
wow tough call....specifically for this years team huh? I name some nominees that would specifically fill the needs this team has....remember I'll be leaving out some HOFer's.

Nominees would be:

Defense:
DL:
Buck Buchanan
Art Still
Curley Culp
LB:
Bobby Bell
Willie Lanier
Derrick Thomas
CB:
Emmitt Thomas
Albert Lewis
S:
Johnny Robinson
Deron Cherry

Offense:
OL:
Dave Hill
WR:
Otis Taylor
Carlos Carson

Special Teams:
PK:
Jan Stenerud
Nick Lowery
P:
Jerrel Wilson

based on what would get this team to the Super Bowl, you'd have to go defense...is the Chiefs DL good enough? Sure it could use a Buck, Curley or Art, but it's passable. Does this current Chiefs team need secondary help? Yes, but with the additions of Surtain & Knight, it's not as glaring. Does this current Chiefs team needs LBer's? HELL YES! So, it comes down to Bell, Lanier or DT for the spot. One offers the most amazing pass rush abilities I've ever seen and another offers the most ferocious sideline to sideline tackler God ever created, but my choice is really easy because Bobby Bell was simply the greatest athlete to ever have played with the Chiefs. The younger crowd doesn't realize that Bell was LT before there was an LT. The guy could run like a deer & hit like a Mack truck. He also was the Chiefs long-snapper.

I therefore nominate:

BOBBY BELL
Bell was also the emergency QB. He was a QB in High School.

ChiTown
04-26-2005, 05:23 PM
Bell was also the emergency QB. He was a QB in High School.

Not only that, but Bobby Bell was probably the greatest "athlete" to ever play for the KC Chiefs. He was a physical freak of nature, especially for his day.

tommykat
04-26-2005, 05:30 PM
DT for several reasons..........WHAT A PLAYER AND GOOD MAN HE WAS IN KC.........second, a life so short that he could have lived a longer life and taught people about seat belts......I know he did that latter, but being alive would have done much also.

Braincase
04-26-2005, 05:35 PM
How much in fines do you think "The Hammer" would cost us today?

Calcountry
04-26-2005, 05:41 PM
Buck BuchanonYeah buddy, right there, thats what I'm talkin about. :thumb:

Frazod
04-26-2005, 05:46 PM
I'd take Hasty in his prime. That would make the revamped secondary totally rock.

CosmicPal
04-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Well, the only players in the past besides Derrick Thomas that would be able to make the transition to today's game in terms of speed and size would be:

Bobby Bell, Buck Buchanan, and Otis Taylor. And to think they were in the league so long ago. That must have been some time to be a Chiefs fan, damn...

SCTrojan
04-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Otis Taylor. Would love to see him dominate in the days of no contact past five yards.

Rain Man
04-26-2005, 06:03 PM
While my stock answer for the past 20 years has been Willie Lanier, I might have to go with Buck Buchanan on this current team.

Nzoner
04-26-2005, 06:12 PM
Len Dawson is a piece of shit. Huge asshole in public.

I'm callin' bullshit,he was very friendly to us at training camp a couple of years ago and even signed my KC helmet.

I will agree with you on DT though.

Warrior5
04-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Buchanon.

He would absolutely blow up the middle and collapse the pocket.

milkman
04-26-2005, 07:00 PM
In order of preference.
Willie Lanier, hands down.
Bobby Bell
Buck Buchannon
Emmit Thomas
Deron Cherry
Otis Taylor
DT

yoswif
04-26-2005, 07:35 PM
DT was not very effective as a 4-3 outside LB. Looked lost in pass coverage. Bobby Bell would have excelled at any LB position in any scheme. But I think the addition of a young Buck Buchanon to the current lineup would have the most impact.

Edubs
04-26-2005, 08:02 PM
D mofrikin T

whoman69
04-26-2005, 08:47 PM
Hmmm, Buch Buchanan vs Ryan Sims. The difference between them is so great it could not possibly be matched by any other combination.

alanm
04-26-2005, 11:24 PM
Curly Culp and Buck Buchanan to anchor the middle of the D Line. Which I think will still be a weak point this season.

ChiefsCountry
04-26-2005, 11:30 PM
I know in 1995, I wish it was Jan Stenrud or Nick Lowery. In 1997, I wish it would have been Len Dawson. In 2002, I wish we had our 1969 defense.

Manila-Chief
04-26-2005, 11:32 PM
DT was not very effective as a 4-3 outside LB. Looked lost in pass coverage. Bobby Bell would have excelled at any LB position in any scheme. But I think the addition of a young Buck Buchanon to the current lineup would have the most impact.

Agreed!!! I can tell that most on here don't know much about our S.B. team. We had a D team of studs, and O too but we need help on D this year.

I've heard that one reason DT was so effective was because Neil was on the other side and teams had to account for both. Therefore, I would not select him because we don't have a Neil on the otherside.

I agree with SideWinder's list but I'd place Buck up on the top of the list.

Not that I would choose him but what we need is a holler guy like E.J. to come in and stir things up a bit as well.

I met Lenny at Arrowhead while he was still playing. He was friendly to us. But, not sure how many Chief fans thought he was the real star of the team. Course, now we don't need him coz we got Green.

Frazod
04-26-2005, 11:34 PM
I know in 1995, I wish it was Jan Stenrud or Nick Lowery. In 1997, I wish it would have been Len Dawson. In 2002, I wish we had our 1969 defense.

In '97, I'd have taken Montana.

Deberg_1990
04-27-2005, 06:14 AM
Give me 1990 Derrick Thomas.

Archie F. Swin
04-27-2005, 06:36 AM
Marc Borighter and J.J. Birden

Frankie
04-27-2005, 08:17 AM
but my choice is really easy because Bobby Bell was simply the greatest athlete to ever have played with the Chiefs. The younger crowd doesn't realize that Bell was LT before there was an LT. The guy could run like a deer & hit like a Mack truck. He also was the Chiefs long-snapper.
And the emergency QB. As well, Bell could kick 60+ yard FG's in practice. Stram once said that a team could plug Bell into *any* position, offense or defense, and that team could win a championship. Bell was certainly the most pure football player to have ever worn the Red & Gold. Arguably, the best player in the history of the league...
WOW!!!:thumb:

Frankie
04-27-2005, 08:27 AM
Until the Surtain trade, I would have said Albert Lewis.

Wasn't a trade, He just signed with the dark side.

I was a big fan of his too, that is until my son (2nd grader at the time? and a worshipper of AL) drew up a real impressive (for his age) scene in which AL was blocking a kick. He was so proud of it, colored it, had me look up an address for him, and mailed it to AL. We never heard a peep back. :shake: My son was sooo heartbroken.

I have a copy of that drawing somewhere. I should find it and post it here.

Frankie
04-27-2005, 08:29 AM
Len Dawson is a piece of shit. Huge asshole in public. Was hurt all year in that Super Bowl season until late season. I have a friend that works for KMBC and he says Len reads ANYTHING you put on the teleprompter. He has NO journalism expirience and is just a figure head. Huge asshole though.........DT is the one to be.

Not a Lenny fan huh? But you don't have to sugar coat it. Give us your opinion straight.
:rolleyes:

Frankie
04-27-2005, 08:31 AM
Great idea for a thread. I'd have to say Willie Lanier.
:thumb:
Very intelligent post... On both counts. ;)

Frankie
04-27-2005, 08:36 AM
Well, the only players in the past besides Derrick Thomas that would be able to make the transition to today's game in terms of speed and size ....

I thought of that factor too. Todays players are bigger and faster in general. But for the sake of this thread I discounted that factor, giving a slight "selectibility" advantage to Lanier, Taylor, etc. I figure, the newer generation have the advantage of being fresher on the memory of most of the planeteers. So it's even.

Frankie
04-27-2005, 08:37 AM
Otis Taylor. Would love to see him dominate in the days of no contact past five yards.
Amen bro!

milkman
04-27-2005, 08:37 AM

I was a big fan of his too, that is until my son (2nd grader at the time? and a worshipper of AL) drew up a real impressive (for his age) scene in which AL was blocking a kick. He was so proud of it, colored it, had me look up an address for him, and mailed it to AL. We never heard a peep back. :shake: My son was sooo heartbroken.

That's a real bitch, but I think patteau was saying that his choice would have been Hasty if we hadn't made the trade for Surtain.

Frankie
04-27-2005, 08:43 AM
Marc Borighter and J.J. Birden
You are easily satisfied. Aren't you? :)

Saggysack
04-27-2005, 09:00 AM
In honor of one of my dogs who is named after him.

Abner Haynes.

ChiefsCountry
04-27-2005, 09:12 AM

I got an Albert Lewis signed football.

Frankie
04-27-2005, 09:12 AM
That's a real bitch, but I think patteau was saying that his choice would have been Hasty if we hadn't made the trade for Surtain.
:redface: I read his post quickly and it registered as "Until a certain trade, I would have said Albert Lewis."

BTW, now it's MY turn to do a little correction of your post. He said Albert Lewis, not Hasty. :)

milkman
04-27-2005, 09:14 AM
:redface: I read his post quickly and it registered as "Until a certain trade, I would have said Albert Lewis."

BTW, now it's MY turn to do a little correction of your post. He said Albert Lewis, not Hasty. :)

:banghead: ROFL

patteeu
04-27-2005, 09:26 AM

Sorry to hear about your son's experience, but maybe the expectation of a response was too high.

*edit* I see that you've already been corrected so disregard the following. */edit*

What I said was "Until the Surtain trade,..." meaning that prior to picking up Pat Surtain via trade, I would have taken the best CB in Chiefs history (and one of the best kick blockers too), Albert Lewis.

plbrdude
04-27-2005, 11:13 AM
uhhhh can we go with the whole d from bout 93 ?