PDA

View Full Version : Look what you optimists have done to Boomer....

C-Mac
04-26-2005, 06:23 PM
Out of curiousity I researched the availabilty of www.boomergrigsby.com only to find out it was already taken. I then found out who owned it and emailed them to see what they plan to do with it. The following are the actual email exchanges:

"Hi XXXX,
I'am a web page builder and a Chiefs fan and I see that you own the domain for BoomerGrigsby.com
Do you have plans to utilize this domain?

Hi,
As a former resident of Boomer's Hometown, Canton, IL and an avid football fan, I am very excited that he's been drafted. I currently have some other offers from designers to buy the domain. Are you interested in purchasing it?

Yes possibly, but it sounds like I might be in the middle of a bidding war. Do you have a set price?

Well, the highest bid right now is $8990.00. It's been crazy since he was drafted Sunday.

9K...WOW!
I was going to set up the site and then turn the rights over to Boomer himself. Oh well, good luck sounds like you made a great investment. Any chance that the bidders are him or his family?

Actually not sure who the bidders are

Lets see..... take a $10 investment and turn into at least 9K,
Brilliant!

CosmicPal
04-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Yea, that's enough to feed 14,000 peeps in Canton, IL.

Crush
04-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Yea, that's enough to feed 14,000 peeps in Canton, IL.

Sweet Jesus

FloridaChief
04-26-2005, 06:35 PM
I'm torn between admiration and disgust...

Reaper16
04-26-2005, 06:38 PM
There's always www.craphonsothorpe.com

"Your #1 source for Crap on the web!"

Rain Man
04-26-2005, 06:39 PM
I think there's a bit of gamesmanship on that $9k price. I'm thinking he's slipped the decimal point a couple of spots.

C-Mac
04-26-2005, 06:39 PM
I did discover Derrick Johnsons email address in my little escapades.

C-Mac
04-26-2005, 06:41 PM
I'm torn between admiration and disgust...
Me too, because if I was able to snag it, I was going to offer it to Boomer in exchange for some CP time.
:D

C-Mac
04-26-2005, 06:44 PM
I think there's a bit of gamesmanship on that $9k price. I'm thinking he's slipped the decimal point a couple of spots.

Did appear as a the painted window price of a used 1999 Caravan.
"$8990"

BigRedChief
04-26-2005, 06:46 PM
I did discover Derrick Johnsons email address in my little escapades.

I've already informed him of the indiscretion. He will change the admin contact soon.

Did the same for other players that I discoverd in my net travels to find info on the player.

C-Mac
04-26-2005, 06:57 PM
I've already informed him of the indiscretion. He will change the admin contact soon.

Did the same for other players that I discoverd in my net travels to find info on the player.
:thumb:

Uncle_Ted
04-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Boomer should either sue the guy or bring an arbitration case ... looks like an open and shut case to me.

The law has been developed on this over the last 10 years or so ... now it's pretty clear that you can't buy a domain name that mirrors the name of a famous person and profit from the association people will draw between that person and the website (unless you have the person's permission of course).

C-Mac
04-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Boomer should either sue the guy or bring an arbitration case ... looks like an open and shut case to me.

The law has been developed on this over the last 10 years or so ... now it's pretty clear that you can't buy a domain name that mirrors the name of a famous person and profit from the association people will draw between that person and the website (unless you have the person's permission of course).

I thought the law was for website abuses, was it also inclusive to domain names?

Skip Towne
04-26-2005, 07:14 PM
Holy Crap!! I'm in the wrong business.

KCWolfman
04-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Really?

899,000.00 seems a bit pricy to me.

Phobia
04-26-2005, 07:27 PM
Well, the highest bid right now is $8990.00. It's been crazy since he was drafted Sunday.

Bull Shit

Uncle_Ted
04-26-2005, 07:39 PM
I thought the law was for website abuses, was it also inclusive to domain names?

There are two specific bodies of law on this. One is the federal cyber-squatting law that was passed a few years back -- allows you to sue in federal court against the website itself (i.e., not being able to track down and serve notice on the owner will not prevent you from suing) if it infringes your trademark. There was another act amending trademark law that creates remedies for famous persons whose names are misappropriated.

The other body of law is the international arbitration procedure established by ICANN (at least I think it was ICANN ... been a few years since I've looked at this). Sting was one of the first people to use this; he was able to recover sting.com from a cybersquatter. Arbitration is cheaper and less formal, but the only remedy the abritration panel can award is a transfer of the domain name (no $$$ or other relief).

Brock
04-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Yeah, right. Like anybody would pay more than 50 bucks for it.

KCWolfman
04-26-2005, 07:54 PM
Yeah, right. Like anybody would pay more than 50 bucks for it.
Jenson would pay a gabillion and a half.

C-Mac
04-26-2005, 07:58 PM
There are two specific bodies of law on this. One is the federal cyber-squatting law that was passed a few years back -- allows you to sue in federal court against the website itself (i.e., not being able to track down and serve notice on the owner will not prevent you from suing) if it infringes your trademark. There was another act amending trademark law that creates remedies for famous persons whose names are misappropriated.

The other body of law is the international arbitration procedure established by ICANN (at least I think it was ICANN ... been a few years since I've looked at this). Sting was one of the first people to use this; he was able to recover sting.com from a cybersquatter. Arbitration is cheaper and less formal, but the only remedy the abritration panel can award is a transfer of the domain name (no $$$ or other relief).

I was thinking that using a simple word like "unofficial" on websites, was getting them off the hook. But I hope your right about the domains, it only seems fair, only issue should be if you have the same names.
I know of a hair stylist who got away with mis-using the name Johnny Carson because his name was John Carson.

C-Mac
04-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Bull Shit

I agree but he hasn't countered with less yet.
I'm honestly hoping that Boomer would personally contact him, but the guy might legally have him because his real name isnt Boomer.

jettio
04-26-2005, 08:07 PM
Boomer's fans can take comfort in the fact that www.scanlon's rented mule.com is still available.

C-Mac
04-26-2005, 08:15 PM
I found out that www.steal_domain_names.com is still available.

jspchief
04-26-2005, 09:37 PM
It's probably his agent that owns it.

That would explain the attempt to drive up the price through lies.