PDA

View Full Version : In defense, Chiefs get their men (Teicher article on Gun)

ZootedGranny
04-26-2005, 10:11 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/11496020.htm

BY ADAM TEICHER

Knight Ridder Newspapers

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - On Jan. 22 - he remembers the exact date because he entered it in his log - (KRT) - Chiefs defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham handed president/general manager Carl Peterson his player wish list.

Written on the piece of paper were the names of linebacker Kendrell Bell, safety Sammy Knight, end Carlos Hall and four cornerbacks, including Patrick Surtain.

"I told Carl that if could get all of that done," Cunningham said, "I could go home and sleep at night."

After three agonizing months that included a self-imposed public silence ("I was paranoid and petrified I would say something wrong and mess the whole thing up," he said), Cunningham was finally able to sleep soundly by the end of last week.

After making the trade with Miami for Surtain, the Chiefs had accomplished everything on Cunningham's list - and to top it off, they added Texas linebacker Derrick Johnson in the first round of the draft.

For Cunningham, it was Christmas in April, only better. No holiday gift had ever helped him win a football game.

Cunningham was comfortable talking about it all Tuesday. Most telling was the broad grin he couldn't shake the whole time through.

"I guess the thing I equate it to is having a game plan," Cunningham said. "You make a lot of game plans in a season. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. This one hit the jackpot. As far as I'm concerned, this is like a shutout win."

The names on Cunningham's wish list were there because they share a quality he believes will help the Chiefs get back to where they were defensively when he was their coordinator in the middle and late 90s, a quality that has been lacking in the Dick Vermeil era.

"My theme throughout all of this was to turn the calendar back and add the explosion that this city and this organization are used to on defense," Cunningham said. "Explosion is about speed. It's about suddenness in closing on the ball. All of these guys have that. Patrick and Sammy proved that with their turnovers. I saw Kendrell Bell single-handedly work over the Tennessee Titans offense. To me, he's a bigger Anthony Davis, and Anthony Davis had a lot of explosion, so he could make plays other people couldn't make.

"Carlos Hall has a lot of that, too. His best game is rushing the passer. So all four of those guys roll back the calendar, bring us back to the good old days. I never lost sight of what this defense brought to the table in the old days."

With his personnel wishes fulfilled, Cunningham's immediate job is to figure how the new guys fit with the old. Some are easy to figure. Hall joins Eric Hicks and Jared Allen in the rotation at defensive end. Knight is the starting strong safety and will oust one of the longtime incumbents, Greg Wesley or Jerome Woods, from the starting lineup.

Surtain joins Eric Warfield as a starting cornerback. Surtain reminds Cunningham of a former great Chiefs cornerback .

"He's the same as James Hasty, and not just through his play but his attitude," Cunningham said. "You ask Patrick Surtain about anything or anyone in the NFL, and he'll give you their bio. He studies the game, and that's how he plays. He'll see something, and then he'll pick your pocket. He has the instincts, the intelligence and the awareness. He's physical, too. He will tackle you in the running game."

Cunningham compared the athletic Johnson not to any former Chiefs, but instead to Pro Bowl linebacker Keith Bulluck of Tennessee. Cunningham coached Bulluck with the Titans.

"The thing he will do is touch a lot of balls in the passing game," Cunningham said. "He has an unusual knack for stripping the ball. But the best thing he does is close on the ball. Whether you blitz him or play him in coverage or whether he plays the run, he gets to the ball and he gets there fast."

Cunningham's specific plans for Bell, Johnson and the rest of the linebackers are sketchy and flexible. After the Chiefs initially indicated Bell would start in the middle, Cunningham tentatively has him as right outside linebacker and has Johnson competing with Scott Fujita_if Fujita is healthy - on the left side. Kawika Mitchell is the starter in the middle.

"What you have to do is work the player and understand each player," Cunningham said. "That's why we really don't have any depth charts around here. We take a good look at them and play the best ones. We can't give somebody a job because we think they can play. We have to know he can play."

That comment appears aimed mostly at Mitchell, who has been slow to develop since joining the Chiefs as a second-round draft pick two years ago.

"I saw an upside in Kawika at the end of the year," Cunningham said. "I think it's coming. For a lot of guys, it takes three years or more to play there unless you've got a rare guy."

However the Chiefs line up in their Sept. 11 opener against the New York Jets at Arrowhead, Cunningham is having fun tinkering. His defense is brimming with possibilities that didn't exist a few weeks ago.

"You've got to recollect your thoughts as a coach because the euphoria we feel as an organization and as a city_I'm not deaf and blind, so I can see everybody is excited_that euphoria has to be under control," Cunningham said. The next phase is about ready to begin. You have to keep your wits about you and not get too high or too low.

"I'm relaxed right now, but I need to get my game face back on."

ROOKIE FREE-AGENT ADDITIONS: Northwest Missouri State cornerback Gabriel Helms was one of six rookie free agents to agree to terms Tuesday with the Chiefs.

The others were Georgia Tech receiver Nathaniel Curry, Arkansas defensive tackle Arrion Dixon, Indiana (Pa.) linebacker Kris Griffin, Liberty running back Sam Gado and Montana tight end Willie Walden.

The rookies agreed to two-year contracts.

Reaper16
04-26-2005, 10:17 PM
"After the Chiefs initially indicated Bell would start in the middle, Cunningham tentatively has him as right outside linebacker and has Johnson competing with Scott Fujita_if Fujita is healthy - on the left side. Kawika Mitchell is the starter in the middle."

Could Boomer beat out Kawika in camp? lol

kcfan88
04-26-2005, 10:17 PM
Go Gun!!!

C-Mac
04-26-2005, 10:19 PM
Sweet :D

cdcox
04-26-2005, 10:19 PM
Kawika starting in the middle? :spock:

I trust Gun, but he better be playing a whole lot better than he did last year if this actually pans out.

philfree
04-26-2005, 10:21 PM
Cunningham's specific plans for Bell, Johnson and the rest of the linebackers are sketchy and flexible. After the Chiefs initially indicated Bell would start in the middle, Cunningham tentatively has him as right outside linebacker and has Johnson competing with Scott Fujita_if Fujita is healthy - on the left side. Kawika Mitchell is the starter in the middle.

The Kawika haters are gonna love that.

PhilFree:arrow:

royr17
04-26-2005, 10:21 PM
"After the Chiefs initially indicated Bell would start in the middle, Cunningham tentatively has him as right outside linebacker and has Johnson competing with Scott Fujita_if Fujita is healthy - on the left side. Kawika Mitchell is the starter in the middle."

Could Boomer beat out Kawika in camp? lol

Where did this quote come from ???

Coach
04-26-2005, 10:24 PM

I trust Gun, but he better be playing a whole lot better than he did last year if this actually pans out.

Well, he did get better somewhat at the end of the season, so there's still a ray of hope for that area.

But then, remember, that Tennessee LB'ers were horrible before Cunningham came there, and made them a respectable LB's.

Here's hoping Gun can get it done. :)

yoswif
04-26-2005, 10:26 PM
He's going to have a fast front seven and he's going to attack, attack, attack and keep attacking. Oh happy day.

I'm not surprised at the Davis-Bell comparison and Bell being projected at ROLB. I expect Hall to beat out Hicks. He's sounding more and more like a Gun favorite.

philfree
04-26-2005, 10:27 PM
The fact that Carl got Gun every player he wanted speaks volumes about what Carl thinks of Gun. You don't spend that kind of "jack" if you don't trust the guy. I don't think gun wanted, nor Carl paid for these guys to be a number 15 ranked defense.

KCJake
04-26-2005, 10:29 PM
I can't wait for training camp :drool:

Woodrow Call
04-26-2005, 10:29 PM
Bell, Mitchell, Johnson

Archie likes :clap:

I am glad Gun saw what I and others saw at the end of the year last year in Kawika. I would switch Bell and Mitchell position wise though.

cdcox
04-26-2005, 10:30 PM
Well, he did get better somewhat at the end of the season, so there's still a ray of hope for that area.

But then, remember, that Tennessee LB'ers were horrible before Cunningham came there, and made them a respectable LB's.

Here's hoping Gun can get it done. :)

I would agree if this were a young developing team. Unfortunately, we no longer have the luxury of waiting for players to develop. The schedule gets off to a tough start. If we don't want to start 2-5 we need vast improvement in LB play from opening day. I still think Fujita, Bell and Johnson project to be our three best (healthy) LB. We need all 3 of them on the field. Maybe Gun doesn't think Fujita will be ready by opening day?

Chiefnj
04-26-2005, 10:32 PM
Not to nitpick the validity of the story, but if Bell was the guy the Gunther always wanted why did KC pursue Hartwell so hard? Bell was the consolation prize.

Anyway, it's good to see Gunther happy. I'm glad he plans on playing Bell on the outside where he can be used best - rushing the QB. I mentioned earlier today that I had hoped the Chiefs could find a veteran MLB. With Mitchell as the pencilled in starter I hope they do find one.

Coach
04-26-2005, 10:33 PM
I would agree if this were a young developing team. Unfortunately, we no longer have the luxury of waiting for players to develop. The schedule gets off to a tough start. If we don't want to start 2-5 we need vast improvement in LB play from opening day. I still think Fujita, Bell and Johnson project to be our three best (healthy) LB. We need all 3 of them on the field. Maybe Gun doesn't think Fujita will be ready by opening day?

It's possible that Fujita might not be ready until training camp or so. I just am pretty sure that Barber will be on the PUP list by the time TC starts. How he'll recover, I don't have a clue. It's also possible that in some passing downs where Kendrell can be in the MLB on some blitz packages and all that.

tk13
04-26-2005, 10:36 PM
That doesn't surprise me with Kawika. I really think Kawika is one of our top 3 linebackers in terms of "potential", but he needs to be one of the top three in actual production or he is going to be on the bench.

royr17
04-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Nooooooooooooooooo, Mitchell in the middle as starter, WE ARE DOOOOOOOOOOOOMEEEEEEEEDDDDDD !!!!!!!!!!!!

Wile_E_Coyote
04-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Wonder who the fourth CB was? I can see Law, Surtain & Rolle. Herndon, no

royr17
04-26-2005, 10:44 PM
I'll back Mitchell up since he plays for the chiefs, but dont expect me to be happy with his production, he gets picked up on blocks too easily and thats what i hate about him.

Woodrow Call
I am just glad Maz wasn't mentioned. He was a liability as a starter before the injury.

I also think Barber is done. With Bell on the right and Johnson/Fujita on the left, Barber has no place to play.

royr17
and his piss poor tackling.

royr17
04-26-2005, 10:45 PM
Maz needs cut, Barber needs cut, Bartee needs cut, Battle needs cut, Morton will be cut

yoswif
04-26-2005, 10:48 PM
I think Gun prefers Mitchell, and his play at MLB last Dec., to starting from scratch with someone else. Bell hasn't played MLB in a 4-3 so teaching him ROLB is no different than teaching him MLB.

ROYC75
04-26-2005, 10:51 PM
This tells me Gun has major concerns about Barber and Fujita to start the year off.

Again, I wonder if Barber could be a cap casualty on June 1st ?

royr17
04-26-2005, 10:52 PM
All im saying is that Mitchell better not dissapoint us this year.

Pitt Gorilla
04-26-2005, 10:56 PM
Not to nitpick the validity of the story, but if Bell was the guy the Gunther always wanted why did KC pursue Hartwell so hard? Bell was the consolation prize.Uh, you do realize that we signed Bell well before Hartwell signed; Hartwell would have possibly played the middle with Bell on the outside.

Pitt Gorilla
04-26-2005, 10:56 PM
Again, I wonder if Barber could be a cap casualty on June 1st ?If it saves us money, I'm all for it.

Inspector
04-26-2005, 10:58 PM
This is driving me nuts.

Why, oh why is the friggen offseason so damn loooong???

Reading about the smile on Gun's face just gets me hyped. I need to see our new D smash some O right now!! Dammit!!

Tribal Warfare
04-26-2005, 10:59 PM
Nooooooooooooooooo, Mitchell in the middle as starter, WE ARE DOOOOOOOOOOOOMEEEEEEEEDDDDDD !!!!!!!!!!!!

you mean Boomed right ;)

Chiefnj
04-26-2005, 11:00 PM
Uh, you do realize that we signed Bell well before Hartwell signed; Hartwell would have possibly played the middle with Bell on the outside.

Uhh, you realize the Chiefs brought in Hartwell first and supposedly offered him a contract first before he began his 8 city "48 Hour decision" tour? Do you also realize what the chances were of the Chiefs signing Hartwell, Bell and a corner like Surtain?

DenverChief
04-26-2005, 11:04 PM

Smoot

LiL stumppy
04-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Is Fujita that hurt.Last year everyone loved him and how me may not even be starting.I don't get it?

DenverChief
04-26-2005, 11:07 PM
Uhh, you realize the Chiefs brought in Hartwell first and supposedly offered him a contract first before he began his 8 city "48 Hour decision" tour? Do you also realize what the chances were of the Chiefs signing Hartwell, Bell and a corner like Surtain?

I think that Bell was just on the list of players that included Hartwell...Gun would hvae been happy with either IOW

DenverChief
04-26-2005, 11:08 PM
Is Fujita that hurt.Last year everyone loved him and how me may not even be starting.I don't get it?

me either

Mr. Christopher
04-26-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm glad to hear Gunther's perspective on his defense. For all the dirt we throw on him for what he did in two years as head coach, I've always respected his talent on coaching defense.

If he can take our current roster and make it into a shadow of the mid-90s defense, I think the Chiefs are in for a great season upcoming.

I'm excited about the secondary, with Knight pushing out either Woods or Wesley...and hopefully lighting a fire under both of their asses. I'm excited about Surtain and the comparisons to Haste. I think Warfield will be a respectable corner against the #2 guy.

The LB corps looks a lot better than it did. I like the possibilities. I was hoping that they would put Bell in the middle, and Fujita and Johnson on the outside...but I like the potential of having Mitchell in the middle as long as he is able to improve his play over the last couple years. And if Barber is anywhere near seeing the field this year, it will make the LB corps even better.

Wallcrawler
04-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Well, the guy waited until AFTER he signed his one year tender with the Chiefs to go and have his ankle operated on.

He could have done that months ago, but he didnt.

Also, you have to factor in that Fujita is only under a one year deal, whereas Derrick Johnson is likely to be a Chief for at least the next five years.

Rookies dont learn as fast if they arent on the field, and you dont spend a first round pick on someone if they arent going to get on the field. (Unless your name is Larry Johnson and you have Vermiel shitting on you because he's pouting about not getting someone else....)

At first I didnt like the idea of Fujita not getting to play, but with everything factored in, the contract, the ankle, Derrick Johnson's potential, I say get Johnson out there because right now, he's the one guaranteed to be here over the long term. Fujita is going to be a free agent again next season.

Im still not sold on Mitchell in the middle though. But if Gun thinks Bell will be a more disruptive force on the outside, Im not gonna argue. I just think Bell has the better speed, intelligence, and tackling skills to be the heart of the defense, not Kawika Mitchell.

Bell is a 2 time pro bowler (one as an alternate) and former defensive rookie of the year. Mitchell has done little aside from making a mockery of the MLB position.

KevB
04-26-2005, 11:17 PM
Smoot

Actually I believe it was Ken Lucas, who signed quickly with Carolina. We didn't talk about Smoot for a couple of weeks.

The Bad Guy
04-26-2005, 11:27 PM
I'd put Bell at middle when Barber comes back.

Bell, Barber and Johnson is by far our best linebacker core.

Blitz the hell out of Bell and leave Johnson on the field on passing downs.

Maybe Gun can turn Key Fox into an MLB like he did Donnie in 97.

CoMoChief
04-26-2005, 11:32 PM
I hope to God we dont start Kawika "I Can't Tackle" Mitchell in place of Bell. Bell is a GREAT run stopper. I dont know why we wouldnt put him at MLB. With good speed at our OLB positions I dont know why we couldnt have Barber and Johnson there. (Granted Barber is healthy, that being said all of them being healthy after TC.)

I hope Gun sees that Mitchell sucks compared to the others in TC, it would really suprise me if Kawika starts in the opener. This is only April, mini camps havent even started yet, let alone TC. Im sure Gun will see the talent we have in Bell Barber (when healthy) and Johnson.

Tribal Warfare
04-26-2005, 11:36 PM
I say Boomer will make a bigass impression on Gun, and he'll be starting at MLB right around game 4.

Spicy McHaggis
04-26-2005, 11:45 PM

I think that this camp Gun should put Fujita in open competition for any LB spot. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the middle with Bell and DJ on the outside. He's got the size and the speed for it.

the Talking Can
04-26-2005, 11:53 PM
"Cunningham tentatively has him as right outside linebacker and has Johnson competing with Scott Fujita_if Fujita is healthy - on the left side. Kawika Mitchell is the starter in the middle."

ok, dumb question because I can never figure out this right/left thing:

hypotheticaly, If I am standing on the defensive side of the field, facing the offense:

to my right is Allen and Bell (right DE and OLB)
to my left is Hicks and Johnson (left DE and OLB)

is this the correct terminology, or is it reversed as if you were looking at the defense from the offensive side of the field??

donkhater
04-26-2005, 11:57 PM
From what I've seen of Mitchell is that he can't shed blocks very well. That may be due to some tentativness which only experience and playing time will cure. He certainly has the instincts and feel for the game. Toward the end of the year I don't think anyone could run a screen pass against this team very frequently. Mitchell blew it up well.

KCJake
04-26-2005, 11:57 PM
Actually I believe it was Ken Lucas, who signed quickly with Carolina. We didn't talk about Smoot for a couple of weeks.
It never seemed like the Chiefs were in a hurry to contact Smoot.

KCJake
04-26-2005, 11:59 PM
[QUOTE=

hypotheticaly, If I am standing on the defensive side of the field, facing the offense:

is this the correct terminology, or is it reversed as if you were looking at the defense from the offensive side of the field??[/QUOTE]

You are correct :thumb:

the Talking Can
04-27-2005, 12:04 AM
[QUOTE=

is this the correct terminology, or is it reversed as if you were looking at the defense from the offensive side of the field??

You are correct :thumb:[/QUOTE]

ok, thank you

|Zach|
04-27-2005, 12:08 AM
I wonder how many NFL defenses to the left right thing. I have never played defense that gad L\R distinctions it was always in reaction ti the strong side.

Big Slick
04-27-2005, 12:12 AM

I think everybody loved him because he was the best we had. Plus he's got some speed, he's likeable, and maybe a little bit of The Great White Hope thing working for him, all of that makes him a fan favorite. But I suspect the truth is, that if we turn off the homer-vision, he's pretty much just another guy who plays LB...

Logical
04-27-2005, 12:14 AM
Not to nitpick the validity of the story, but if Bell was the guy the Gunther always wanted why did KC pursue Hartwell so hard? Bell was the consolation prize.

Anyway, it's good to see Gunther happy. I'm glad he plans on playing Bell on the outside where he can be used best - rushing the QB. I mentioned earlier today that I had hoped the Chiefs could find a veteran MLB. With Mitchell as the pencilled in starter I hope they do find one.

I may be wrong but I am betting Gun had them both on his list. He got one and is not complaining.

Spicy McHaggis
04-27-2005, 12:16 AM
I wonder how many NFL defenses to the left right thing. I have never played defense that gad L\R distinctions it was always in reaction ti the strong side.

I haven't either and I don't understand it. To me it always made sense to have a SSLB and a WSLB. Those guys would line up according to the formation of the offense. I didn't play much OLB though so I'm not the most knowledgable on the subject.

|Zach|
04-27-2005, 12:17 AM
I haven't either and I don't understand it. To me it always made sense to have a SSLB and a WSLB. Those guys would line up according to the formation of the offense. I didn't play much OLB though so I'm not the most knowledgable on the subject.
I never played LB but did play on the defensive line and our whole defense would line up according to strong sides. As the offense came out of a hug=ddge the first thing we would hear is a strength call from the MLB and team would line up accordingly.

crossbow
04-27-2005, 12:49 AM

Yeah, I allways thought the strong side was the side the Tight End lined up on. Didn't matter whether it was left or right. Weak side was the oposite side of the Tight End. In a pro set you would have a tailback and a fullback lined up behind the QB on either side of him. The fullback could either block for the tailback or go out for a short pass. Or they could both pass block.

Ninjaman
04-27-2005, 01:30 AM
Yes, why is no one talking up 'Boomer' grigsby .

He could be a factor. Why give K.Mitch. a position without a training camp fight for it.

I don't want K-mitch to fail but BOOMBY to fight and get some PT.

Logical
04-27-2005, 01:38 AM
Yes, why is no one talking up 'Boomer' grigsby .

He could be a factor. Why give K.Mitch. a position without a training camp fight for it.

I don't want K-mitch to fail but BOOMBY to fight and get some PT. Most likely because Boomer is a project that will be a killer on special teams and a scout team player.

Wallcrawler
04-27-2005, 03:07 AM
There are teams that do the SSLB/WSLB thing because their personnel isnt capable of playing the base LOLB or ROLB.

I dont think the Chiefs have done that very much at all. I dont recall ever seeing DT over at LOLB, he was always on the right, regardless of what the set was. I havent seen a lot of the linebackers moving here and there depending on where the TE is.

I guess I always looked at it as kinda showing your weakness, when you have a guy who runs to the opposite side of the field if the tight end is on the side he was on before. He would be the guy I would make a point to run at all the time, because clearly he isnt the best guy on the team going against blockers, always going away from the TE.

Or it could be that I just play too damn much PS2 football. They dont do the WSLB/SSLB stuff either. You play right or left, all game long unless you go in and do substitutions in various sets. But there isnt anything that will make them switch sides depending on how the offense lines up.

|Zach|
04-27-2005, 03:14 AM
There are teams that do the SSLB/WSLB thing because their personnel isnt capable of playing the base LOLB or ROLB.

I dont think the Chiefs have done that very much at all. I dont recall ever seeing DT over at LOLB, he was always on the right, regardless of what the set was. I havent seen a lot of the linebackers moving here and there depending on where the TE is.

I guess I always looked at it as kinda showing your weakness, when you have a guy who runs to the opposite side of the field if the tight end is on the side he was on before. He would be the guy I would make a point to run at all the time, because clearly he isnt the best guy on the team going against blockers, always going away from the TE.

Or it could be that I just play too damn much PS2 football. They dont do the WSLB/SSLB stuff either. You play right or left, all game long unless you go in and do substitutions in various sets. But there isnt anything that will make them switch sides depending on how the offense lines up.

I don't see how either defensive style prevents what you are talking about above.

Wether the LBs adjust to your strength or nto you will be able to pick on whoever you want to. It is still consistant; you are still getting a strict set up from the actions of the offense.

Fruit Ninja
04-27-2005, 03:18 AM
I am sure nothing is set in stone regarding the linebackers. Its just Guns rough draft on how he thinks it may work. THings may change as Practices and Training camp goes on. WHile some players may emerge, while others fall.

J Diddy
04-27-2005, 03:30 AM

Dude when DT was playing the "falcon" position he was all over gods green earth. Left, right, down, up.

Wallcrawler
04-27-2005, 03:31 AM
Yeah, you never know what is going to happen until these guys get on the field and show what they can do.

As a casual fan though, I want to see Bell in the middle, Johnson getting a lot of playing time, and Fujita/Barber starting on the other side.

Wallcrawler
04-27-2005, 03:34 AM
Dude when DT was playing the "falcon" position he was all over gods green earth. Left, right, down, up.

I dont remember much of that, perhaps due to trying to block that travesty from my mind, other than the fact that the "falcon" position was the biggest waste of a year of Derrick Thomas' skills ever.

Playing him at defensive end, and all that other BS.

Im talking about when DT was playing LINEBACKER, not that falcon shit.

Priestgets30TDs
04-27-2005, 04:15 AM
The fact that Carl got Gun every player he wanted speaks volumes about what Carl thinks of Gun. You don't spend that kind of "jack" if you don't trust the guy. I don't think gun wanted, nor Carl paid for these guys to be a number 15 ranked defense.

I honestly think gun has as much pull with Carl as Vermeil does. Kawika is the anti-boomer, so I'm hoping boomer's attitude will push kawika into thinking "I'm in the middle so they can"t get away from me" "I just want to hit someone". "I'm a crazy white/black guy" From what I've read, if Boomer or Maslowski's heart could be transplanted into Kawika's body and skills, we'd have our perfect middle lb.

huskerdooz
04-27-2005, 05:43 AM

Smoot or Lucas

keg in kc
04-27-2005, 06:10 AM
"The thing he will do is touch a lot of balls in the passing game," Cunningham said.

That's kinda...creepy, man.

KC Margarita Man
04-27-2005, 06:39 AM
The whole left/right, weak/strong, sam/mike are just different terminology different teams use for the same positions. Few teams totally flip-flop positions depending on offensive formation, but will adjust the groupings of personnel. Think of a baseball team that shifts it's defense for a lh or rh power hitter.You want the most defenders where you think the ball is going. Same thing in football. I think Bell on the right is so he can blitz often to the QB's blindside. DJ on the left is also a good plan. He can blitz, and he can cover. If you watched any of the DJ videos you see great closing speed and timing from DJ. I'm good with this lienup as long as Mitchell's main responsibility is the 1 and two hole and Bell and DJ take everything else. Mitchell's worst when trying to make open field tackles in space.

JimNasium
04-27-2005, 07:57 AM
Just some random thoughts after reading this thread:
I suspect that Barber is either a June 1st cap casualty or an injury settlement away from being off of this roster. The fact that he is not menitoned in this article appears to be an indictment against him IMO.
If Maz is healthy I hope they keep him around. He'll still be a top-notch special teams guy, emotional leader, and good depth if we suffer injuries.
If the DT play doesn't improve it doesn't matter if you have Mike Singletary in the middle because they couldn't protect our backers worth a damn last year.

yoswif
04-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Putting a very explosive blitzer like Bell at ROLB with the Chiefs best cover corner Surtain at RCB and the Chiefs best pass rusher Allen at RDE replicates the Davis/Thomas/Hasty trio that worked so well for Gun when he was Marty's DC. By the end of training camp, a trio on the left side of LB Johnson, CB Law, DE Hall would balance out Bell, Surtain, and Allen perfectly, imo.

If Fujita were signed beyond this season, I think he would figure prominently at MLB.

Mr. Kotter
04-27-2005, 08:34 AM
"The thing he will do is touch a lot of balls in the passing game," Cunningham said.

That's kinda...creepy, man.

What was it that you accused me of, not so long ago.....heh. :)

eazyb81
04-27-2005, 09:13 AM
Just some random thoughts after reading this thread.
If the DT play doesn't improve it doesn't matter if you have Mike Singletary in the middle because they couldn't protect our backers worth a damn last year.

Exactly. I really think this season is going to depend on how much of a push the DTs get up the middle, particularly Siavii and Sims. Siavii had a learning year last year, this is the year he needs to use his massive frame and step up his game. After a year of weight training and learning the system, he needs to be a force this year and become a dominant 2-gapper. I'm not expecting much more from Sims this year, but my only hope is that this is a contract year for him and he will give 100% effort every play he is out there.

We need a big year from one of these guys to pair with Dalton so we can get a consistent push up the middle. If we don't, it won't matter who are LBs or CBs are.

keg in kc
04-27-2005, 09:22 AM
By the end of training camp, a trio on the left side of LB Johnson, CB Law, DE Hall would balance out Bell, Surtain, and Allen perfectly, imo.I wouldn't get my hopes up about Law.

ROYC75
04-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Exactly. I really think this season is going to depend on how much of a push the DTs get up the middle, particularly Siavii and Sims. Siavii had a learning year last year, this is the year he needs to use his massive frame and step up his game. After a year of weight training and learning the system, he needs to be a force this year and become a dominant 2-gapper. I'm not expecting much more from Sims this year, but my only hope is that this is a contract year for him and he will give 100% effort every play he is out there.

We need a big year from one of these guys to pair with Dalton so we can get a consistent push up the middle. If we don't, it won't matter who are LBs or CBs are.

Well said.....another way to look at it is ,As much as baseball teams need defensive playmakers up the middle, SS,2nd base and CF, a football defense needs the same, DT's, MLB and safety.

Chiefnj
04-27-2005, 09:31 AM
The Chiefs need to another DT to the rotation. They only have 4 guys now, and I can't remember the last time the Chiefs didn't lose a DT for a few games because of injury.

Warrior5
04-27-2005, 09:39 AM
As giddy as I am, as a D homer, I simply can't visualize Mitchell starting, let alone at MLB.

Maybe the Mitchell of last year was merely a pod-person, and the real one will show up at TC.

...trusting Gun to put the true killers on the field.

milkman
04-27-2005, 09:42 AM
The Kawika haters are gonna love that.

We don't hate the playa, we just hate the play!

The fact is, if a light suddenly goes on, and Kawika finally "gets it", DJ, Kawika and Bell could potentially be a devastating group.

Maybe DJ could teach Kawika how to avoid blockers, and Bell could teach him to lay the wood!

eazyb81
04-27-2005, 09:45 AM
The Chiefs need to another DT to the rotation. They only have 4 guys now, and I can't remember the last time the Chiefs didn't lose a DT for a few games because of injury.

Which is exactly why we should have drafted CJ Mosley or Antaaj Hawthorne instead of a project like Will Svitek at the end of the 5th round. We will be regretting passing on those two... :banghead:

philfree
04-27-2005, 09:57 AM
We don't hate the playa, we just hate the play!

The fact is, if a light suddenly goes on, and Kawika finally "gets it", DJ, Kawika and Bell could potentially be a devastating group.

Maybe DJ could teach Kawika how to avoid blockers, and Bell could teach him to lay the wood!

IMO Mitchell hasn't played enough to be judged. He's just now played a rookie's year worth of games and the last half of those starts he started to improve. Having two quality players on each side of him is gonna make a big difference too so I'm not so worried about Mitchell like alot of folks seem to be. I think he'll make improvements between seasons and be a good player in 2005.

Count Alex's Wins
04-27-2005, 10:07 AM
Nice read...nice to hear from Goooonther.

I'm a little worried about Mitchell like most here, but I trust Gunther. I guess the best man will win the job in training camp.

Mr. Kotter
04-27-2005, 10:12 AM
...Maybe DJ could teach Kawika how to avoid blockers, and Bell could teach him to lay the wood!

Nice. :thumb:

ct
04-27-2005, 10:13 AM

I completely agree!! Anyone still feeling that CP is a fill the stands and everything else is secondary really needs to think the above statement thru. They tried the 'Gunther can get these guys to play better' last year, and it failed miserably. Now Carl has given Gun his wish list, guys Gun feels will bring pride back to the fans. I am psyched about the potential this season!!!

Chiefnj
04-27-2005, 10:14 AM
I guess the best man will win the job in training camp.

It looks like the "best man" is going to be decided by who can walk (Mitchell) and who can't (Barber, Maz, Fujita).

Mr. Kotter
04-27-2005, 10:17 AM
It looks like the "best man" is going to be decided by who can walk (Mitchell) and who can't (Barber, Maz, Fujita).

I think you are off-base on that; Fuj will be fine by TC....Barber will likely be back before midseason. Time will tell.

milkman
04-27-2005, 10:19 AM
IMO Mitchell hasn't played enough to be judged. He's just now played a rookie's year worth of games and the last half of those starts he started to improve. Having two quality players on each side of him is gonna make a big difference too so I'm not so worried about Mitchell like alot of folks seem to be. I think he'll make improvements between seasons and be a good player in 2005.

Regardless of the number of games played, he showed poor instincts, and that deficiency is a quality that will be hard to overcome.

Frankie
04-27-2005, 10:19 AM

IMO Kawika was improving fast.

In Gun I trust.

ct
04-27-2005, 10:28 AM
Perhaps I'm way to far into the Boomer bandwagon, but perhaps, just perhaps, Gun's vision for now of the LB alignments is specifically designed to:

1) Light a fire under Fujita to pick up his game and prove he's in the future picture in KC.
2) Let it be known that DJ does not get a free pass with his 1st round selection.
3) Light a fire under Kawika to pick up his game period!
4) Leave the door just slightly open for Boomer to take the MLB spot as his own!

Coogs
04-27-2005, 10:28 AM
IMO Kawika was improving fast.

I agree. And that is something I can not say about Barber and Fujita.

Johnson, Mitchell, and Bell are just fine by me.

ChiefsCountry
04-27-2005, 10:32 AM

Remember the name Arrion Dixon. He was signed out of Arkansas as a undrafted free agent, he could become this year's Benny Sapp.

Chiefnj
04-27-2005, 10:33 AM
I think you are off-base on that; Fuj will be fine by TC....Barber will likely be back before midseason. Time will tell.

Gun's failure to mention Fuj leaves me a bit skeptical.

ROYC75
04-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Gun keeps harping about it takes most LB's a min. 2 - 3 years for the LB's to understand the scheme and his play.

It does seem that Gun wants experenced players as well as playmakers.

Makes me wonder some more about Maz and Barber .Although I see them gone, the experence in Gun's schemes and leadership ability might come into play here.

Fujita ...had a year
Mitchell ...had a year
Caver ...had a year
Fox ... had a year
Barber ...had a half of year
Maz ... some from previous years ?
Bell ... New player in scheme
Scanlon ... had a year
Johnson ... Rookie
Grisgby ... Rookie

IMHO, this training camp is wide open for the backup positions.

Brock
04-27-2005, 10:34 AM
I was paranoid

Yes, we know.

Frankie
04-27-2005, 11:07 AM

A good sobering post. I consider a 2-5 start a worst scenario situation though. However I might not mind a 2-5 start if it ends up in 11-5 and still gaining momentum for playoffs.

Frankie
04-27-2005, 11:15 AM

Not necessarily. How do we really know how HARD they pursued Hartwell. The guy was god on this forum. That doesn't necessarily translate to the same with the front office. Just because there were countless threads about Hartwell here doesn't mean the Chiefs liked him any better than Bell. He was available and therefore pursued with some intensity. Maybe only because there was no guarantee Bell would choose us over another suitor.

Woodrow Call
04-27-2005, 11:47 AM
I could be wrong but I don't think Fujita is a Gun type LB. He has good straight line speed but plays stiff. He seems to fit a read and react style better.

If I recall Gunther didn't seem to high on Fujita before last season.

ROYC75
04-27-2005, 12:06 PM
I could be wrong but I don't think Fujita is a Gun type LB. He has good straight line speed but plays stiff. He seems to fit a read and react style better.

If I recall Gunther didn't seem to high on Fujita before last season.

I remember that well as well, Gun was going with Beisel until Fuji stepped it up.

Frankie
04-27-2005, 12:22 PM
Would you post this if it was Scanlon? You'd probably prefer that to our 2nd rounder panning out? I don't get it!! :shrug:

royr17
04-27-2005, 12:34 PM
Would you post this if it was Scanlon? You'd probably prefer that to our 2nd rounder panning out? I don't get it!! :shrug:

Because i've seen more of Scanlon in limited time that he played that i liked compared to Mitchell who i see missing tackles, gettin picked up on blocks, has terrible tackling, and has not lived up to his 2nd round potential yet.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-27-2005, 12:44 PM

I know. I'm thinking DV still has his hands on this defense unfortunately, because IMO, if it were up to Gunther, it would be Johnson, Bell, Fujita as our LBs.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-27-2005, 12:46 PM

I don't really buy what Gunther is saying either. I don't believe the "these are the players I wanted all along!" stuff. It's just good paper material that's all, IMO.

milkman
04-27-2005, 12:47 PM
I know. I'm thinking DV still has his hands on this defense unfortunately, because IMO, if it were up to Gunther, it would be Johnson, Bell, Fujita as our LBs.

I don't know who has their hands where, but as has already been pointed out by AB, Fujita is not a Gunther type LB.

nascher
04-27-2005, 12:48 PM
Fujita is gone maybe after this Season (UFA)

I bet Gun goes with either DJ,Bell,Mitchell
or DJ Bell Fox

ROYC75
04-27-2005, 12:53 PM

IMHO, I can answer that one. NO. It is the belief of this one that the day will come he will make a fine MLB in the NFL. The more he plays, the better he will get.

KCTitus
04-27-2005, 12:56 PM
IMHO, I can answer that one. NO. It is the belief of this one that the day will come he will make a fine MLB in the NFL. The more he plays, the better he will get.

Define 'fine'...Probowl? Starter? Not starter but actually plays on the field as a MLB? Sometimes Active sometimes not? What?

Chief Faithful
04-27-2005, 12:58 PM
I don't know who has their hands where, but as has already been pointed out by AB, Fujita is not a Gunther type LB.

I'm not so sure about that as Fujita was the only LB that Gun had anything good to say about during the season. Either way, it is obvious that LB was Gun's biggest disappointment last season.

From the article it appears Gun was ready to jettison Mitchell until he made that late season improvement. I'm still hoping Kawika can play his way into a starting role, but the honeymoon is over.

ROYC75
04-27-2005, 01:00 PM
Define 'fine'...Probowl? Starter? Not starter but actually plays on the field as a MLB? Sometimes Active sometimes not? What?

Back to this again ? Some people never give up .
:rolleyes:

Pro Bowl ... I don't see it.
Starter ... A fine NFL MLB

As in your definition ....Never , Nadda, no way....

No need to respond, did it for ya.

Biohazard
04-27-2005, 01:00 PM
I say Boomer will make a bigass impression on Gun, and he'll be starting at MLB right around game 4.

That would be kick azz, somthing about that crazy white boy makes me think that he's going to knock the piss outta some ball carriers. Boooom, Beotch!!!!

Chief Faithful
04-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Remember the name Arrion Dixon. He was signed out of Arkansas as a undrafted free agent, he could become this year's Benny Sapp.

That will only happen if Dixon can beat out Bartee and Sapp for a roster spot. With the addition of Surtain and Hodges it will be much harder for Dixon to make the roster then it was for Sapp.

milkman
04-27-2005, 01:06 PM
I'm not so sure about that as Fujita was the only LB that Gun had anything good to say about during the season. Either way, it is obvious that LB was Gun's biggest disappointment last season.

From the article it appears Gun was ready to jettison Mitchell until he made that late season improvement. I'm still hoping Kawika can play his way into a starting role, but the honeymoon is over.

Gun isn't stupid.
Even if Fujita isn't his type of player at LB, he was the only guy out there who actually had any business being out there for most of the season, so Gun would say good things about him.

But if he can line up a LB that fits into his ideal of the type of player that he wants of equal quaility, then Fujita is a scrub.
The fact that he's looking for Mitchell to step up and produce, when he played so poorly last year, I think lends evidence to that.

Wile_E_Coyote
04-27-2005, 01:10 PM
To my knowledge Bell(edit:Giants, doh..) & Knight didn't visit other teams. Hall & Surtain, although being trades, seemed to be in the bag. Looks like Gun & Carl locked on like snapping turtles

ROYC75
04-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Mitchell had more game time than any other LB outside of Fujita. Again, Gun says his LB's scheme is complex and it takes time to learn it.

I'm not suprised by Gun that Mitchell is 1st on the list at MLB and moving Bell to the outside.

Moving Mitchell outside means you have 2 LB's needing to learn the scheme at those positions. If this kinda simplifies things a bit.

I too seen a diffrent Mitchell at years end than earlier in the year.

Time will tell.

KCTitus
04-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Back to this again ? Some people never give up .
:rolleyes:

Pro Bowl ... I don't see it.
Starter ... A fine NFL MLB

Just trying to clarify what 'fine' meant...untwist the labia there, Roy. My opinion of Scanlon means nothing, I think you understand why.

Ok, so he's going to be a Starter in the NFL according to Roy. We'll see, I guess.

ROYC75
04-27-2005, 01:22 PM
Just trying to clarify what 'fine' meant...untwist the labia there, Roy. My opinion of Scanlon means nothing, I think you understand why.

Ok, so he's going to be a Starter in the NFL according to Roy. We'll see, I guess.

I knew you couldn't resist . ROFL

As for being a starter, IMHO,I do think if ever given the chance ( Like Mitchell had ,ref: being handed it or any MLB ) he will do well and keep the job.

Can his experence from NFLE help him into the starting role this year, it's highly doubtful. Mitchell has more experence at the scheme in practice and game time than Rich has and the NFLE is probally not running the same scheme as Gun is.

IMHO, for Rich to get a starting spot this year, many thing will have to happen ( players failing, injuries, etc.) and that will take away from what little depth we have now.

If Barber and Maz are done, Then I see Rich with a fair chance to be the backup MLB behind Mitchell.

Only time and TC will tell.

Frankie
04-27-2005, 01:24 PM
Which is exactly why we should have drafted CJ Mosley or Antaaj Hawthorne instead of a project like Will Svitek at the end of the 5th round. We will be regretting passing on those two... :banghead:
Mosely, maybe. Hawthorne, no.

BTW this Svitek guy may actually end up being a freaky TE before it's all said and done

milkman
04-27-2005, 01:24 PM
That will only happen if Dixon can beat out Bartee and Sapp for a roster spot. With the addition of Surtain and Hodges it will be much harder for Dixon to make the roster then it was for Sapp.

Dixon is a DT.
He's suggesting that Dixon. like Sapp, can be an UDFA that can make a contribution on D.

melbar
04-27-2005, 01:25 PM
I'm thinking when Barber returns , Bell moves to the middle. Johnson, Bell , Barber sounds REAL nice.

Frankie
04-27-2005, 01:28 PM
They tried the 'Gunther can get these guys to play better' last year, and it failed miserably. Now Carl has given Gun his wish list, guys Gun feels will bring pride back to the fans.
Maybe next year Carl will give him the coaches that he wants. ;)

Coogs
04-27-2005, 01:29 PM
I'm thinking when Barber returns , Bell moves to the middle. Johnson, Bell , Barber sounds REAL nice.

I don't like this. If Bell is the MLB, then put him there right from the get-go. Let everybody get used to playing the spot they are going to play. JMO.

Gaz
04-27-2005, 01:31 PM
I don't like this. If Bell is the MLB, then put him there right from the get-go. Let everybody get used to playing the spot they are going to play. JMO.

I agree with Coogs. No mid-season shifting, please.

xoxo~
Gaz
Wants his players comfortable in their positions.

Frankie
04-27-2005, 01:32 PM
Gun's failure to mention Fuj leaves me a bit skeptical.

I think Fujita is the Reggie Tounge if our LBs. Serviceable and well liked for a while, but destined to go to another team and be replaced here.

Frankie
04-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Because i've seen more of Scanlon in limited time that he played that i liked compared to Mitchell who i see missing tackles, gettin picked up on blocks, has terrible tackling, and has not lived up to his 2nd round potential yet.

Against the same competition?

Frankie
04-27-2005, 01:39 PM
That would be kick azz, somthing about that crazy white boy makes me think that he's going to knock the piss outta some ball carriers. Boooom, Beotch!!!!
He does have Willie Lanier's frame. Almost exact height and weight. :hmmm:

Frankie
04-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Dixon is a DT. I think he meant he is to the D-line what Sapp was to the DBs.

Tribal Warfare
04-27-2005, 01:55 PM
He does have Willie Lanier's frame. Almost exact height and weight. :hmmm:

My dad took Laniers Physical when he was an intern . he was 5'10'' and when my dad weighed him he at 260lbs

Frankie
04-27-2005, 01:58 PM
My dad took Laniers Physical when he was an intern. he was 5'10'' and when my dad weighed him he was 260lbs
I think they always listed him as 5'10", 245. But he did look weightier than that.

Tribal Warfare
04-27-2005, 02:04 PM
I think they always listed him as 5'10", 245. But he did look weightier than that.

Dude, don't argue with me with this, It came straight from the source. my Dad was a 1st year medical resident while this occured

Coogs
04-27-2005, 02:08 PM
This bit over at kcchiefs.com from Gretz today contains the "list" the Chiefs used. Kind of interesting. Sorry if it is a re-post...

Obviously, the focus was on defense. As Peterson conferred with Kuharich, the team’s pro personnel director, and defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, a wish list developed on possible additions at three key positions: cornerback, linebacker and safety. Here’s who they wanted, in order of preference, among players they thought would be available:

Cornerback: Patrick Surtain, Samari Rolle, Ken Lucas, Ty Law and Kelly Herndon.
Linebacker: Julian Peterson, Kendrell Bell, Jeremiah Trotter and Ed Hartwell.
Safety: Dwight Smith, Donovan Darius and Sammy Knight.
It took three months of negotiations to pull off the Surtain deal, but it got done, although the price tag was steep: a second-round pick and big dollars. At linebacker, Peterson was slapped with the franchise tag by San Francisco, so he was taken out of the equation. The Chiefs got Bell signed and even took a run at Hartwell as well, until the Atlanta Falcons drove up the price. At safety, Smith made a visit, but ended up signing with New Orleans, while Darius was given the franchise tag by Jacksonville. Knight was the man.

Add to this package the fifth-round draft choice that was traded to Tennessee to land restricted free agent DE Carlos Hall. That name was on Cunningham’s list back in January as well.

Frankie
04-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Dude, don't argue with me with this, It came straight from the source. my Dad was a 1st year medical resident while this occured
Why do you think I'm arguing? :shrug: I almost agreed with you.

eazyb81
04-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Mosely, maybe. Hawthorne, no.

BTW this Svitek guy may actually end up being a freaky TE before it's all said and done

I guess there is a chance that Svitek will turn into a good player, but I would say there is a much bigger chance that he doesn't develop into a decent player. I think it would have been much wiser to draft a known commodity like Mosley or Hawthorne who could push Sims this year, rather then a project at offensive tackle. Parquet was a good choice in the 7th round, but I really don't see the point of drafting two Oline projects in the same draft. A rookie DT could have pushed Sims this year and possibly taken his job away for the next year. What are we going to do next year when Sims is a free agent? Draft another underachieving DT?

Chief Faithful
04-27-2005, 03:39 PM
Dixon is a DT. I think he meant he is to the D-line what Sapp was to the DBs.

Do you think he could beat out Bartee? STFU

KC-HighPriest
04-27-2005, 04:28 PM
I guess there is a chance that Svitek will turn into a good player, but I would say there is a much bigger chance that he doesn't develop into a decent player. I think it would have been much wiser to draft a known commodity like Mosley or Hawthorne who could push Sims this year, rather then a project at offensive tackle. Parquet was a good choice in the 7th round, but I really don't see the point of drafting two Oline projects in the same draft. A rookie DT could have pushed Sims this year and possibly taken his job away for the next year. What are we going to do next year when Sims is a free agent? Draft another underachieving DT?

You bring up a something that I didn't realize. If Sims is a free agent next year, and he is in his contract year, then maybe he might actually play hard enough to be an impact player this year! He seems like the type of guy that would all of a sudden have a big year in his contract year...so that could be something to be optimistic about.

keg in kc
04-27-2005, 05:18 PM
I think it would have been much wiser to draft a known commodity like Mosley or Hawthorne There's no such thing as a "known commodity" in the sixth round.