PDA

View Full Version : New stuff from Ben Folds

beavis
04-26-2005, 10:37 PM
Picked up Songs for Silverman today. Gets my stamp of approval. :thumb:

I know there are a couple of other fans around here. I suggest you pick it up if you get the chance.

|Zach|
04-26-2005, 10:41 PM
I have listened to a little bit and it sounds like his ebst stuff in years. Def going to get some heavy play by me.

Rain Man
04-27-2005, 01:53 AM
I've got five of his albums. Two of them are fantastic, one is mediocre, and two are horrible. I don't know what to make of him, but I keep buying his albums because the good ones are really, really good. It's worth the wastage.

|Zach|
04-27-2005, 02:04 AM
I've got five of his albums. Two of them are fantastic, one is mediocre, and two are horrible. I don't know what to make of him, but I keep buying his albums because the good ones are really, really good. It's worth the wastage.
I have loved his old stuff and beared his recent stuff. I think this is one of the really really good ones.

Archie F. Swin
04-27-2005, 05:37 AM
I plan to buy it. It's his first full-length album since "Rockin the Suburbs" was released on September 11, 2001. RTS is one of the best rock albums made in the last 10 years.

Cochise
04-27-2005, 07:08 AM
His solo stuff is much better than the bands, IMO. The band was fun and all but since they split up I've kind of gotten over their sound, and when I pull out one of their records it doesn't seem to have aged all that well. Hard to explain but I think RTS and a few other solo things I have are much better.

|Zach|
04-27-2005, 07:10 AM
His solo stuff is much better than the bands, IMO. The band was fun and all but since they split up I've kind of gotten over their sound, and when I pull out one of their records it doesn't seem to have aged all that well. Hard to explain but I think RTS and a few other solo things I have are much better.
I sort fo feel the same way about the aging. But there are still some songs from BFF that I listen today and still find amazing. I was just listening to "The Battle Of Who Could Care Less" an hour ago. Good stuff.

Cochise
04-27-2005, 07:16 AM
I sort fo feel the same way about the aging. But there are still some songs from BFF that I listen today and still find amazing. I was just listening to "The Battle Of Who Could Care Less" an hour ago. Good stuff.

Yeah, there are some enduring tracks. I'm not calling them a novelty act or anything but his solo album is much better.

Fairplay
04-27-2005, 07:35 AM
I had a role in the production of that CD.

Archie F. Swin
04-27-2005, 07:37 AM
I've got five of his albums. Two of them are fantastic, one is mediocre, and two are horrible.

care to drop some names(titles)?

beavis
04-27-2005, 08:11 AM
Yeah, there are some enduring tracks. I'm not calling them a novelty act or anything but his solo album is much better.
You're on crack.

beavis
04-27-2005, 08:11 AM
I had a role in the production of that CD.
Elaborate please.

Rain Man
04-27-2005, 08:58 AM
care to drop some names(titles)?

Fantastic. One of the best albums of any artist that I have. I listen to this one all the time.

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/coverimages/SME_0101_EK_086863.70Q_200x200_72dpi_RGB.jpg

Very good. Not quite as good as the one above (and has some of the same songs), but should be in any collection. "Rockin' the Suburbs" alone is worth the purchase, and there are several good songs.

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/coverimages/SME_0101_EK_061610.70Q_200x200_72dpi_RGB.jpg

I can't find the album cover for the mediocre album, so I'll just include a photo of a cute kitten as a placeholder.

http://d.whyville.net/whytimes/archives/images/adobe/086-thumb.jpg

Stinks.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002BOJ.01._PE25_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Stinks worse. Appears to just be random noise for the most part.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000000I3B.01._PE18_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

gblowfish
04-27-2005, 09:02 AM
How could you leave me stranded here with Uncle Walter?????....
Ben Folds Rocks!

beavis
04-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Fantastic. One of the best albums of any artist that I have. I listen to this one all the time.

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/coverimages/SME_0101_EK_086863.70Q_200x200_72dpi_RGB.jpg

Very good. Not quite as good as the one above (and has some of the same songs), but should be in any collection. "Rockin' the Suburbs" alone is worth the purchase, and there are several good songs.

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/coverimages/SME_0101_EK_061610.70Q_200x200_72dpi_RGB.jpg

I can't find the album cover for the mediocre album, so I'll just include a photo of a cute kitten as a placeholder.

http://d.whyville.net/whytimes/archives/images/adobe/086-thumb.jpg

Stinks.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002BOJ.01._PE25_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Stinks worse. Appears to just be random noise for the most part.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000000I3B.01._PE18_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
The mediocre one you are talking about is probably Reinhold Messner. It's completely different than anything else they ever did.

I'm insulted that you would say Whatever and Ever Amen stinks. That's my favorite album of all time.

Naked Baby Photos was all b-sides, live stuff, and random studio jam sessions. I thought it was cool, but I could see where it would annoy some.

I'm curious as to why you'd think the live one is good, but don't like any of the studio albums.

Archie F. Swin
04-27-2005, 09:33 AM
That cute kitten one must be an import;)

jspchief
04-27-2005, 09:37 AM
New stuff from Ben Folds

Thank god, I was running out stuff of theirs to hate.

Cochise
04-27-2005, 09:37 AM
You're on crack.

stfu fanboy~~

Rain Man
04-27-2005, 09:47 AM
The mediocre one you are talking about is probably Reinhold Messner. It's completely different than anything else they ever did.

I'm insulted that you would say Whatever and Ever Amen stinks. That's my favorite album of all time.

Naked Baby Photos was all b-sides, live stuff, and random studio jam sessions. I thought it was cool, but I could see where it would annoy some.

I'm curious as to why you'd think the live one is good, but don't like any of the studio albums.

I'm not a really strong music critic, but I guess I'd say that I like the Live album because the songs are really good and stuff, and I don't like the Whatever and Ever album because the songs stink and stuff.

It's hard for me to say why a song or an album grabs me. I think the Whatever and Ever album didn't sync with me because (to the extent I remember - I don't play it any more) it had more songs on it that were less structured. I don't like it when it sounds like a drum set is falling down a flight of stairs in the background of a song. The Live album was very tight and efficient and focused on him and his piano rather than on a bigger band.

Fairplay
04-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Elaborate please.

Very well, The CD folder insert i recieved the digital files for. I converted those files though our workflow system. Did color proofs for the files so they can be checked for errors, corrections and such by the record label.

The photos in the folder is kind of a duo tone quality and was a little difficult for the printers to get color. Misc other things like check pagination and such.

Rain Man
04-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Do you try to insert subliminal messages and pictures, fairplay? You should.

patteeu
04-27-2005, 10:02 AM
I'm not a really strong music critic,...

How much do you bench?

Rain Man
04-27-2005, 10:06 AM
How much do you bench?

Piano. But just the bench.

Fairplay
04-27-2005, 10:06 AM
Do you try to insert subliminal messages and pictures, fairplay? You should.

It can be done. But no i haven't.

jcroft
04-27-2005, 10:09 AM
I miss BFF, and haven't really enjoyed Ben's solo stuff as much, for the most part. He's very talented, I just liked him with the band better.

The only track I've heard from the new album is "Bitches ain't Shit," which I loved, but I'm a Dr. Dre fan, so it's not a surprise that I'd like a Dre cover. :)

KC Kings
04-27-2005, 10:18 AM
He is ok, but I prefer his bother, Harry.

beavis
04-27-2005, 10:28 AM
Very well, The CD folder insert i recieved the digital files for. I converted those files though our workflow system. Did color proofs for the files so they can be checked for errors, corrections and such by the record label.

The photos in the folder is kind of a duo tone quality and was a little difficult for the printers to get color. Misc other things like check pagination and such.
Cool, nice work.

beavis
04-27-2005, 10:29 AM
Thank god, I was running out stuff of theirs to hate.
Well, not everyone can be Metallica.

Fairplay
04-27-2005, 10:43 AM
Cool, nice work.

Thanks, our company did some for the Dave Matthews CD coming out, it didn't go very well though.

Cochise
04-27-2005, 10:46 AM
Thanks, our company did some for the Dave Matthews CD coming out, it didn't go very well though.

You'd better do them right, or they're liable to give you the tour bus hose if you know what I mean.

DJay23
05-01-2005, 06:16 AM
I missed this post when it originally aired. I'm listening to Songs for Silverman right now. Really good stuff, it will get heavy rotation at home and on the road. I agree with Rainman about the live CD though, one of my favorite CD's ever.

I didn't get into BF until a couple years ago when an ex got me listening. Now I'm hooked. He puts on a splendid live show. Saw him in Niagara Square, Buffalo with Guster and Rufus Wainright (Free concert, July 3rd last year) and then last Sunday at Millersville University in Lancaster, PA.

He played almost the whole album last Sunday with a band, and I have to say it sounded pretty tight for new stuff. After that he played a lot of his "standards" like Army and 1 Angry Dwarf. He's really cool live because he interacts with the crowd quite a bit. A lot of people don't like that, but it's fun and gets people more excited IMO. Anyone who has seen the DVD companion to the Ben Folds Live CD knows what I mean.

At the end of "Not the Same" where he has the crowd do the 3 part harmony, he pissed with us for about 5-10 minutes. Having us do that harmony for different lengths of time, different parts of the audience doing hi and lo, and at the end he had us just taking it up, then back down, then up, and so on like a roller coaster. Quite cool. Quite fun.

Bitches Ain't Shit got a great reception too.

beavis
05-01-2005, 06:25 PM
I missed this post when it originally aired. I'm listening to Songs for Silverman right now. Really good stuff, it will get heavy rotation at home and on the road. I agree with Rainman about the live CD though, one of my favorite CD's ever.

I didn't get into BF until a couple years ago when an ex got me listening. Now I'm hooked. He puts on a splendid live show. Saw him in Niagara Square, Buffalo with Guster and Rufus Wainright (Free concert, July 3rd last year) and then last Sunday at Millersville University in Lancaster, PA.

He played almost the whole album last Sunday with a band, and I have to say it sounded pretty tight for new stuff. After that he played a lot of his "standards" like Army and 1 Angry Dwarf. He's really cool live because he interacts with the crowd quite a bit. A lot of people don't like that, but it's fun and gets people more excited IMO. Anyone who has seen the DVD companion to the Ben Folds Live CD knows what I mean.

At the end of "Not the Same" where he has the crowd do the 3 part harmony, he pissed with us for about 5-10 minutes. Having us do that harmony for different lengths of time, different parts of the audience doing hi and lo, and at the end he had us just taking it up, then back down, then up, and so on like a roller coaster. Quite cool. Quite fun.

Bitches Ain't Shit got a great reception too.
I agree with you about his shows. He's great at interacting with the crowd. Of course, he has a legion of hardcore fans that love that kind of thing.

He actually did "Bitches Ain't Shit" live? That's awesome. I can't wait for him to come around this summer.

DJay23
05-01-2005, 06:40 PM
He actually did "Bitches Ain't Shit" live? That's awesome. I can't wait for him to come around this summer.
It was pretty cool. He said something like, "You know, I doubt he'll admit it, but Dr. Dre and I have been writing some songs together lately. This is one of our collaborations."

Seemed like every time he started into a song some dude up front would yell something incoherent and Ben would stop playing and say, "Huh?" The guy is a riot.

beavis
05-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Seemed like every time he started into a song some dude up front would yell something incoherent and Ben would stop playing and say, "Huh?" The guy is a riot.
I saw him when he first started playing shows solo, just him and a piano. Chicks from the crowd would hand him a note up on stage and he'd sing it to the crowd, it was freakin' hilarious. At several points during the show, he'd just turn to the crowd and say, "what do you guys wanna hear?". I'd never seen anyone take requests from the crowd like that.