PDA

View Full Version : Vikings offered Michael Bennett to Dolphins for Surtain

Bootlegged
04-27-2005, 06:36 AM
-- Vikings Offered Bennett to Dolphins for Surtain --
Wed Apr 27, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

The Pioneer Press reports the Vikings last weekend offered RB Michael Bennett to Miami, where ex-Vikings OC Scott Linehan works, for CB Patrick Surtain and the Dolphins' second-round draft pick. With that selection, the Vikings would have taken PK Mike Nugent of Ohio State. But Miami said no thanks, and Surtain ended up going to Kansas City for the Chiefs' second-round pick. The Vikings are expected to wait until teams pare rosters this summer and sign the best veteran kicker available.

keg in kc
04-27-2005, 06:38 AM
I'm not much of a Fred Smoot fan, but he'd be (or would've been) a nasty nickelback with Surtain and Winfield on the outside. Minnesota's really going after it.

Big Chief Homer
04-27-2005, 06:45 AM
Im confused,Miami didnt have a 2nd rounder until we traded it for surtain.And why the hell would they trade a pick AND Sutain for Bennett?

Bootlegged
04-27-2005, 06:50 AM
Im confused,Miami didnt have a 2nd rounder until we traded it for surtain.And why the hell would they trade a pick AND Sutain for Bennett?

I think they just reported it backwards...Bennett and a 2nd for Surtain. If that is the case, I wonder why they didn't take it? Without looking it up I'm going to assume our 2nd pick was higher, even thought MN first was higher??

Crush
04-27-2005, 07:08 AM
Minnesota's first pick was higher because that was the Raiders pick.

Cochise
04-27-2005, 08:05 AM
Because Miami doesn't need any more aging, mediocre, or oft-injured running backs.

JimNasium
04-27-2005, 08:06 AM
Saban is taking the Jimmie Johnson approach. He doesn't plan on being good this year or even next year. It's years three and four that you'll need to look out for.

Coach
04-27-2005, 08:27 AM
I think they just reported it backwards...Bennett and a 2nd for Surtain. If that is the case, I wonder why they didn't take it? Without looking it up I'm going to assume our 2nd pick was higher, even thought MN first was higher??

What JimNasium said. Plus he got a good deal in Ronnie Brown who could be pretty good. I think what Saban is doing is he is trying to get rid of the old guys and bring his own players in.

Looks like Miami is going to be a bad team this year and possibly next year, especially with the QB situation.

Cochise
04-27-2005, 08:31 AM
Michael Bennett

RUSHING
Year GS Att Yards Avg TD
2001 13 172 682 4.0 2
2002 16 255 1296 5.1 5
2003 7 90 447 5.0 1
2004 7 70 276 3.9 1
TOTAL 43 587 2701 4.6 9

Guy is a bust. Why not get a 2nd round pick who has a chance to blow up instead of a bust?

Ralphy Boy
04-27-2005, 09:05 AM

I'd say it was more likely either they wanted Surtain & a 2nd NEXT year or a 3rd this year.

If Minnesota was offering up a 2nd and Bennett for Surtain, they'd have done it rather than waiting around for us to finally get off our asses and give them the 2nd they wanted, just before the draft.

jspchief
04-27-2005, 09:13 AM
Tough call on Bennet. If he could ever stay healthy, he'd be a hell of a RB. He's a fast SOB.

It had to be tempting for Miami. They could have got a RB and then drafted their QB in the 1st. I'd say Linehan knew enough about Bennet to stay away.

By the way, Linehan is a horrible O-Coordinator. I have no idea why any team wanted him. Take the deep ball away from his play calling and his offense slams to a halt. The guy doesn't know WRs are allowed to use the part of the field between the hash marks.

eazyb81
04-27-2005, 09:15 AM
Saban is taking the Jimmie Johnson approach. He doesn't plan on being good this year or even next year. It's years three and four that you'll need to look out for.

Ha, tell Miami fans that. By listening to them you would think that they are a Super Bowl contender this year.

Otter
04-27-2005, 09:25 AM
As much as I dislike the Dolphins because of their history with the Chiefs its tough not to feel a little bad for them with that whole Ricky Williams fiasco. He really dicked them over. That man should never be given another shot in the NFL.

Now if it was the Raiders or Donkos I'd still be laughing my ass off.

Gravedigger
04-27-2005, 10:09 AM
I think this just worked out just right. It's kind of like the hartwell incident where we had the best stuff on the table.

nascher
04-27-2005, 10:15 AM
i doubt it it makes zero sense sorry :)

ct
04-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Uh first off, Miami did not have a 2nd round pick until they traded Surtain to KC. Secondly, Michael 'I hurt my pinkie toe' Bennett for Surtain AND a 2nd round pick? I don't think so...

ct
04-27-2005, 10:32 AM

Beat me to it, my bad.

nascher
04-27-2005, 11:00 AM
That story was reported incorrectly. The Vikings offered Bennett straight up for the 2nd round pick the Dolphins got from KC for Surtain.