PDA

View Full Version : Neil Young or Bob Dylan

Jenson71
04-27-2005, 01:18 PM
My series of either/or singers/bands now features the one and only, Bob Dylan.

Love Neil Young though.

HemiEd
04-27-2005, 01:22 PM
Not even close for me, Neil Young.

gblowfish
04-27-2005, 01:29 PM
I play both with regularity on my web radio station, Radio Blowfish (Radblow).
You can listen for free here:
http://www.live365.com/stations/gblowfish
Just need audio streaming software like Itunes or WinAmp.

Programming changes every week. Something different all the time. This week we're featuring Country Honk, Bluegrass and Redneck Rock.
Theme is "Welcome to the Mind of Jethro Bodine!"
Weeeeeelllll Doggies!!!

CosmicPal
04-27-2005, 01:36 PM
I like them both, but I'd have to favor Bob Dylan- he simply had so many great songs.

seclark
04-27-2005, 01:45 PM
the answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind.

Cochise
04-27-2005, 01:51 PM
Either, but Dylan if I had to choose.

Count Zarth
04-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Pretty much a giant meh for me.

patteeu
04-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Neil Young for me. I'm not much of a Dylan fan, but I like Neil Young quite a bit. Neither of them very angelic voices though.

FloridaChief
04-27-2005, 02:06 PM
I went with Young although this was a difficult choice. Dylan's done some superlative music, among them Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde On Blonde, two LP's which will never be topped. But Neil Young's music has had a more meaningful connection to me at various points in my life.

If Dylan hadn't put out such self righteous you're-either-with-me-or-against-me material during his Born Again Christian period of the late '70s-early 80's, I might have picked differently.

mcan
04-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Not even close. Bob Dylan. I think Neil Young would even vote for Bob Dylan here. And no doubt, Bob Dylan would surely vote for himself. I say, start another one...

The Beatles vs Bob Dylan.

Vote based on these criteria:
1. Who did more to influence music?
2. Who do you prefer to listen to?
3. Who do you think wrote the best tunes?
4. Who do you think has the better songs that were written by them, but performed or made famous by another band/artist?

Rain Man
04-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Not even close. Bob Dylan.

Plus, Neil Young really ticked me off during that 9/11 fundraising concert that was held not long after the attacks. The concert was full of very prominent artists, and at the end they all sang together. Everyone became part of the chorus, and no one put themselves ahead of the others...except Neil Young. He was out in front of the group bouncing around and trying to be the center of attention, and frankly, I didn't even know who he was. He was just some bozo trying to get more camera time than everyone else.

vailpass
04-27-2005, 02:15 PM
Writing: Bobby
Singing: Neil

Love 'em or hate 'em ther is no denying they are a couple of heavyweights in the music world.
I always liked the fact that Neil Young reserves the first X amount of rows at his shows for regular ticket buyers. No corporate schills, no sponsors, no scalper grouped seats, just fans.

MOhillbilly
04-27-2005, 02:16 PM
bob dylan

niel young would pee on the american flag if it wouldnt hurt his record sales.

vailpass
04-27-2005, 03:04 PM
bob dylan

niel young would pee on the american flag if it wouldnt hurt his record sales.

Very true but Dylan hung out with some real 60's Vietnam vet haters himself.

FloridaChief
04-27-2005, 03:22 PM
I don't think Neil Young ever wrote a vicious attack on the American political war machine quite like this:

Come you masters of war
You that build all the guns
You that build the death planes
You that build the big bombs
You that hide behind walls
You that hide behind desks
I just want you to know
I can see through your masks

You that never done nothin'
But build to destroy
You play with my world
Like it's your little toy
You put a gun in my hand
And you hide from my eyes
And you turn and run farther
When the fast bullets fly

Like Judas of old
You lie and deceive
A world war can be won
You want me to believe
But I see through your eyes
And I see through your brain
Like I see through the water
That runs down my drain

You fasten the triggers
For the others to fire
Then you set back and watch
When the death count gets higher
You hide in your mansion
As young people's blood
Flows out of their bodies
And is buried in the mud

You've thrown the worst fear
That can ever be hurled
Fear to bring children
Into the world
For threatening my baby
Unborn and unnamed
You ain't worth the blood
That runs in your veins

How much do I know
To talk out of turn
You might say that I'm young
You might say I'm unlearned
But there's one thing I know
Though I'm younger than you
Even Jesus would never
Forgive what you do

Let me ask you one question
Is your money that good
Will it buy you forgiveness
Do you think that it could
I think you will find
When your death takes its toll
All the money you made
Will never buy back your soul

And I hope that you die
And your death'll come soon
I will follow your casket
In the pale afternoon
And I'll watch while you're lowered
Down to your deathbed
And I'll stand o'er your grave
'Til I'm sure that you're dead

vailpass
04-27-2005, 03:32 PM
I don't think Neil Young ever wrote a vicious attack on the American political war machine quite like this:
[[/i]

No doubt, excellent citation. The theme reminds me of Black Sabbath's "War Pigs".

KCWolfman
04-27-2005, 05:12 PM
Not even close. Bob Dylan.

Plus, Neil Young really ticked me off during that 9/11 fundraising concert that was held not long after the attacks. The concert was full of very prominent artists, and at the end they all sang together. Everyone became part of the chorus, and no one put themselves ahead of the others...except Neil Young. He was out in front of the group bouncing around and trying to be the center of attention, and frankly, I didn't even know who he was. He was just some bozo trying to get more camera time than everyone else.
I went to see Neil in Lexington, KY in 1979. He came out on stage to a solo spotlight and sat down, started strumming Cinnamon Girl on an acoustic guitar. He forgot the words after three lines. He started again and fell off the stool. He was rushed backstage and a greasy 25 year old kid came out and made an announcement that he was Neil's physician and Neil had the flu and had to cancel.

Bum.

Bob Dylan, hands down.

penchief
04-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Rep for a helluva question/thread.

Both are brilliant but if I had to make a distinction it would be this:

Neil Young is much more consistently great, IMO. However, when Dylan is at his best, nobody is better. Both are brilliant but Dylan has exceeded brilliance at times.

Who sends me more often? Neil Young.

Who sends me farther? Bob Dylan.

Ironically, if you combine the two I think you come up with my all-time favorite; Van Morrison. Nobody sends me farther more often.

They are three of the very best songwriters of the rock era, IMO

Mr. Kotter
04-27-2005, 07:04 PM
I don't care for either, at all. Sorry.

angel
04-27-2005, 07:18 PM
I would marry Neil Young. I love his music so much. Even though he is old and ugly, I am so completely attracted to this man based solely on his musical talents. I have seen him in concert three times in my 25 years of life. I love Neil Young!

Bob Dylan is pretty cool, though I'm not in the least bit attracted to him or his son.

siberian khatru
04-27-2005, 07:23 PM
I would marry Neil Young. I love his music so much. Even though he is old and ugly, I am so completely attracted to this man based solely on his musical talents. I have seen him in concert three times in my 25 years of life. I love Neil Young!

Yeah, but if he told you you were hot, you'd run for the hills. :p