View Full Version : BEATLES VS BOB DYLAN

mcan
04-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Based on the other thread...

The Beatles vs Bob Dylan.

Vote based on these criteria:
1. Who did more to influence music?
2. Who do you prefer to listen to?
3. Who do you think wrote the best tunes?
4. Who do you think has the better songs that were written by them, but performed or made famous by another band/artist?

MOhillbilly
04-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Vote based on these criteria:
1. Who did more to influence music?beatles
2. Who do you prefer to listen to?dylan
3. Who do you think wrote the best tunes?dylan
4. Who do you think has the better songs that were written by them, but performed or made famous by another band/artist? is that even possible?

royr17
04-27-2005, 02:18 PM
I love listenin to the Beetles, The Eagles, The Beach Boys, and the Monkeys they are all classics, oh yea and Boston is pretty good too.

penchief
04-27-2005, 07:14 PM
This should be a Beatles vs. Stones thread, IMO.

Logical
04-27-2005, 07:26 PM
There is no contest here, the Stones might, might just give the Beatles a little competition.

4th and Long
04-27-2005, 07:39 PM
This one is a no brainer.
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/07/13/beatles,0.jpg

Herzig
04-27-2005, 07:46 PM
This one is a no brainer.
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/07/13/beatles,0.jpg

Agreed.

siberian khatru
04-27-2005, 07:59 PM
I once worked with a woman who was the same age as I (we were about 26 at the time). She was sitting at her computer writing a story, then paused and said: "John, Paul, Ringo ... and what was the other guy named?"

I about fell out of my chair.

angel
04-27-2005, 08:01 PM
I once worked with a woman who was the same age as I (we were about 26 at the time). She was sitting at her computer writing a story, then paused and said: "John, Paul, Ringo ... and what was the other guy named?"

I about fell out of my chair.
poor George
he was the coolest one, too

Jenson71
04-27-2005, 08:26 PM
This should be a Beatles vs. Stones thread, IMO.

I've already made one of those. I'm not sure if search function is up yet, but I remember The Beatles winning although I personally voted Stones.

Jenson71
04-27-2005, 08:29 PM
1. Who did more to influence music?
2. Who do you prefer to listen to?
3. Who do you think wrote the best tunes?
4. Who do you think has the better songs that were written by them, but performed or made famous by another band/artist?

1. Toss up. EDIT - DYLAN
2. Dylan
3. Dylan
4. Dylan

Ultra Peanut
04-27-2005, 08:39 PM
BEATLES VS BOB DYLANI thought you were talking about some weird remix, for a second there.

Mastashake
04-27-2005, 08:54 PM
The Beatles are the best ever, and this is coming from a 21 year old guy. Although I'm a total hard rocker (Metallica is my second favorite), the Beatles are still tons better than them.

My favorite song is "Across the Universe." That song is sweeet.

"Woords are flowing out like endless raain intoo a paper cup.."

Mastashake

CosmicPal
04-27-2005, 08:54 PM
You're primarily comparing a folk songwriter with a pop group. Not a fair comparison for they both were major influences in their stream of music.

If I want to listen to some folk music, I'm going to put on Dylan above and beyond everyone else, but if I wanted to listen to some 60's rock, I'd be hard-pressed not to be listening to some of The Beatles.

I'm sorry, but you guys have got to make these comparisons a bit more fair or I'm going to start threads like Bob Marley vs. Kiss or Phish vs. Miles Davis or Green Day vs. Madonna.

Stick with the musical genre' when you're doing these things...There is no comparing Bob Dylan, but like someone said earlier, you can compare The Stones vs. The Beatles.

Jenson71
04-27-2005, 08:58 PM
I would like to mention that the Beatles were influenced by Dylan, therefore, Dylan has obviously been more influential.

Mastashake
04-27-2005, 09:02 PM
I would like to mention that the Beatles were influenced by Dylan, therefore, Dylan has obviously been more influential.

Later in their career. I highly doubt he did when they're were rockin it small style in Liverpool. I'm guessing they thought his stuff was far out about the time Magical Mystery Tour came out

Mastashake

Mr. Kotter
04-27-2005, 09:04 PM
I'm not a huge Beattles fan, but they win this one....easily.

Valiant
04-27-2005, 09:09 PM
umm you would have had a better matchup if you went beatles vs. billy ray cyrus... Seriously, Dylan.... Worst evar....

Jenson71
04-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Later in their career.
Mastashake

Mid 60's, when the Beatles started put their focus on the writing. That shift is definitely owed in part to Dylan. Rubber Soul? Dylan. Revolver? Dylan. Lennon's solo stuff? Ono...AND DYLAN. MOSTLY DYLAN.

Jenson71
04-27-2005, 09:12 PM
I'm not a huge Beattles fan, but they win this one....easily.

In every category?

Jenson71
04-27-2005, 09:14 PM
umm you would have had a better matchup if you went beatles vs. billy ray cyrus... Seriously, Dylan.... Worst evar....

In the immortal words of Dylan:

"You're an idiot, babe. It's a wonder that you still know how to breathe."

Mr. Kotter
04-27-2005, 09:15 PM
In every category?

Start a Tony Basil vs. Bob Dylan, and I might vote for Bob... :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
04-27-2005, 09:16 PM

Tony Basil? :hmmm:

Jenson71
04-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Start a Tony Basil vs. Bob Dylan, and I might vote for Bob... :hmmm:

Your pathetic opinion isn't worth me starting a thread over. You have no understanding of what Bob Dylan is all about. His music, his lyrics, anything related to him. Why would I even put him in such a lame contest? It would be nothing less than disrespectful.

Jenson71
04-27-2005, 09:21 PM
I bet half the people who voted haven't even really heard anything by Dylan aside from Mr. Tambourine Man, Blowing in the Wind and Like a Rolling Stone. You listen to Blonde on Blonde and Blood on the Tracks and then tell me The Beatles are sooo much better. Then you tell me it's "not even close". You can't do it.

Mastashake
04-27-2005, 09:25 PM
I bet half the people who voted haven't even really heard anything by Dylan aside from Mr. Tambourine Man, Blowing in the Wind and Like a Rolling Stone. You listen to Blonde on Blonde and Blood on the Tracks and then tell me The Beatles are sooo much better. Then you tell me it's "not even close". You can't do it.

It's all in what people hear. Don't put people down who disagree with you, cause no one is doing that with you. And if they do, then you can flame them.

Mastashake

Miles
04-27-2005, 09:27 PM
Not a huge fan of either but Beatles in every category here as well.

Jenson71
04-27-2005, 09:29 PM
It's all in what people hear. Don't put people down who disagree with you, cause no one is doing that with you. And if they do, then you can flame them.

Mastashake

That particular post you quoted had no flaming, just simple facts. The post before is another situation though.

The thing with Dylan that maybe so many are afraid of here is his raw emotion he puts into the songs. The love he sings with in Sad Eyed Lady and 8-9 years later the exhausted, desperation he pleads with in Blood and Desire's Sara. It's not tap your foot, sing along songs.

Jenson71
04-27-2005, 09:30 PM
Not a huge fan of either but Beatles in every category here as well.

Go to hell!

Oh, it's you. Alright, I suppose I'll be easy on you. :)

Jenson71
04-27-2005, 09:34 PM

The positive rep you received from me was an accident. Pretends it's negative.

Miles
04-27-2005, 09:39 PM
Go to hell!

Oh, it's you. Alright, I suppose I'll be easy on you. :)

I donít really have any stong opinions either way on Dylan or the Beatles. I really respect them for their influences on music but Iím fairly indifferent to the music itself.

Though to be honest I probably havenít given Dylan enough listening too. You have any suggestions of what tracks to check out or even albums?

Jenson71
04-27-2005, 09:44 PM
I donít really have any song opinions either way on either of them. I really respect them for their influences on music but Iím fairly indifferent to the music itself.

Though to be honest I probably havenít given Dylan enough listening too. You have any suggestions of what tracks to check out or even albums?

Sure, albums in bold.

Bringing It All Back Home
It's Alright, Ma, I'm Only Bleeding
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

Blonde on Blonde
Visions of Johanna
One of Us Must Know
I Want You
Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands

Blood on the Tracks
The Whole Album

The Essential Bob Dylan is how I got my start on him. It's two disks and is pretty cheap too. Really, I think anyone who gives Dylan the time will find they actually do like him.

Valiant
04-27-2005, 09:59 PM
Sure, albums in bold.

Bringing It All Back Home
It's Alright, Ma, I'm Only Bleeding
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

Blonde on Blonde
Visions of Johanna
One of Us Must Know
I Want You
Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands

Blood on the Tracks
The Whole Album

The Essential Bob Dylan is how I got my start on him. It's two disks and is pretty cheap too. Really, I think anyone who gives Dylan the time will find they actually do like him.

I have had to listen to his crap growing up... He is a good song writer, but that voice makes my ears want to explode... It is like listening to a crying dog who got kicked in the nuts...

Logical
04-27-2005, 10:01 PM
I have had to listen to his crap growing up... He is a good song writer, but that voice makes my ears want to explode... It is like listening to a crying dog who got kicked in the nuts...

Exactly, songwriting excellent, singing is putrid.

mcan
04-28-2005, 02:40 AM
I voted Beatles too guys, but I think it's a whole lot closer than what these posts (and the poll) would indicate.

Who did more to influence music:
Both had movements that mimicked their styles. I'd have to say that Dylan edges out the Beatles though because he actually influenced THEM.

Who do you listen to:
I tend to listen to the Beatles a lot more, because of the sheer re-play value of those songs. Especially Rubber Soul and Revolver.

Who do you think wrote better (songs):
Clearly Bob is the best writer here lyrically. As far as clever chord progressions and melodies though, the Beatles have the edge. So, I give the Beatles the nod for the steller musicianship. It's close though.

Who has the best stuff when done by other people (remakes):
I put this in here as a wild card. The Beatles have had a lot of people cover their songs, and they ALL pretty much suck. On the other hand, every Dylan cover I hear sounds like gold: All Along The Watchtower, Born in Time, Knockin on Heaven's Door, Make You Feel My Love, Masters of War, Mr. Tambourine Man, Quinn The Eskimo... I LOVE these songs, and I feel Kudos should be given to the author, even though I know somebody else's version.

trndobrd
04-28-2005, 05:51 AM
Help! Help! I'm stuck in 1968! Somebody let me into the 70's!

Amnorix
04-28-2005, 05:51 AM
That particular post you quoted had no flaming, just simple facts. The post before is another situation though.

The thing with Dylan that maybe so many are afraid of here is his raw emotion he puts into the songs. The love he sings with in Sad Eyed Lady and 8-9 years later the exhausted, desperation he pleads with in Blood and Desire's Sara. It's not tap your foot, sing along songs.

The thing that mainly scares me about Dylan is his horrendous singing voice. He sounds like a 13 year old with a cold to me.

Seriously, the WORST singer of any famous, long-lasting musician I can think of.

His writing is pretty good.

But the Beatles here by a landslide.

Seriously, just the name Dylan puts in mind that horrendous nasally voice. *shudder*

Amnorix
04-28-2005, 05:53 AM

ROFL ROFL

hadn't seen this when I posted my own little diatribe. Your description is much better...

Amnorix
04-28-2005, 05:54 AM

Only after I puncture my eardrums...

StcChief
04-28-2005, 09:53 AM
Dylan for song writing and interest.

Beatles for 'pop' sound