PDA

View Full Version : Royals Worst Baseball Team in 100 Years?!?!

petegz28
04-27-2005, 08:40 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11497445.htm
The Royals are now 5-15 and officially on pace to be the worst team in more than 100 years.

And it's just part of a lot of bad baseball. And it's depressing. It's beyond depressing. We're still two months from the beginning of summer, and already there's nothing left to say. Maybe I could start filing columns by number.

(1) means “Fire everybody.” (2) means “The owner needs to spend some money.”

(3) means “Can't anyone here play this game?”

(4) means “When does football season begin?”

To reach Joe Posnanski, call (816) 234-4361 or send e-mail to jposnanski@kcstar.com.

Coach
04-27-2005, 08:42 PM
Option 4 please. :)

Frazod
04-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Option 5 - root for the Cardinals. :thumb:

Ninjaman
04-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Whats worse , a team that has half their losses that are huge lopsided losses or losing a bunch of games by a few runs with good pitching ?

petegz28
04-27-2005, 08:53 PM
Whats worse , a team that has half their losses that are huge lopsided losses or losing a bunch of games by a few runs with good pitching ?

Well we just lost 9-4 tonight.

CoMoChief
04-27-2005, 08:53 PM

If we had good pitching we wouldnt be losing those close games by one or two runs.

Stinger
04-27-2005, 08:54 PM

ROFL ROFL :thumb:

Ninjaman
04-27-2005, 08:55 PM
Actually , they haven't been blown out of games.

Is the glass half empty or half full ?

KCinNY
04-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Those clowns may lose 120 games.

They're not even a good AAA team.

Delano
04-27-2005, 09:10 PM
The Tigers really sucked a few years ago so at this point you Royal's fans can't claim the worst team in the last century.

Why don't you fellas wait until at least 50 games are played before you implode like this.

Cochise
04-27-2005, 09:14 PM
Are you going to start a thread like this every night? :shake:

Mastashake
04-27-2005, 09:14 PM
They need a new owner.

David Glass is appling those "Always Low Prices" he learned from Wal-Mart and applying it towards his players.

What he needs to do is throw down about double what he's paying players (keep Beltran and so forth). You're in the only major sport without any cap, there's NO excuse for failure except being cheap.

And being good now would be a bad thing IMO cause Glass will never start spending good money on players if he thinks he can fill the stadiums without doing it.

The only way we will EVER get better is if we either get so horrible no one goes to any games (like 5,000 attendance), or Glass just realizes like any good investment he'll have to take 5 years of red to make it pay off.

Mastashake

Cochise
04-27-2005, 09:15 PM

I'd rather drink my own urine. :Lin:

Mastashake
04-27-2005, 09:18 PM
Wasn't it also at this point that the Royals were on course to be the best team EVER in baseball after that huge win streak at the start of the season?

Delano
04-27-2005, 09:19 PM
They need a new owner.

David Glass is appling those "Always Low Prices" he learned from Wal-Mart and applying it towards his players.

What he needs to do is throw down about double what he's paying players (keep Beltran and so forth). You're in the only major sport without any cap, there's NO excuse for failure except being cheap.

And being good now would be a bad thing IMO cause Glass will never start spending good money on players if he thinks he can fill the stadiums without doing it.

The only way we will EVER get better is if we either get so horrible no one goes to any games (like 5,000 attendance), or Glass just realizes like any good investment he'll have to take 5 years of red to make it pay off.

Mastashake

Is it an owner or personnel/GM issue? I know that the Twins, Oakland and maybe a few other teams are really successful with a player budget of about 55 million. However, GMs Ryan and Beane are probably the best at what they do.

CoMoChief
04-27-2005, 09:21 PM
The Tigers really sucked a few years ago so at this point you Royal's fans can't claim the worst team in the last century.

Why don't you fellas wait until at least 50 games are played before you implode like this.

We cant win with these bums. I think our meat part of the lineup is hitting a whopping .198 or something like that. Our pitchers will only develope if we can give them some runs. I think its going to come to the point where the players can feel that the city has already given up on them, so they feel the dominio effect. Pena isnt that good or bad of a manager, but you cant blame him for trying to win with a bunch of minor leaguers coming up from Omaha from a year ago. Hell what it all comes down to is that we need an owner that is more of a baseball fane than that of a business man. Glass, having ties with Wal-Mart, is a business man. He wants to cut as much cost as possible and make the most profit (via Buck Night). I think that this year is so terrible that even those games wont be sold out, unless NYY or STL comes in town during that promo. It's sad that alot of people in KC go to the Royals games to see teams such as that calibur instead of watching KC. I wish Ewing was still around. He loved baseball and in the mid-late 80's, KC was a great baseball town. Now fans are just wanting the NFL to start again, especially because if the draft and FA we had. Sorry Royals, you are now the laughing stock of the baseball world.

Mastashake
04-27-2005, 09:21 PM
Is it an owner or personnel/GM issue? I know that the Twins, Oakland and maybe a few other teams are really successful with a player budget of about 55 million. However, GMs Ryan and Beane are probably the best at what they do.

Unless you're the Florida Marlins, you will NOT make it into the playoffs with the amount of salary KC is playing. They're 29th in most spent. The only team spending less is the Pirates!

Something's gotta change, and I blame the person who wasn't willing to throw down the money to keep Beltran. The talent is there, but it soon is traded away.

Mastashake

Delano
04-27-2005, 09:30 PM
Unless you're the Florida Marlins, you will NOT make it into the playoffs with the amount of salary KC is playing. They're 29th in most spent. The only team spending less is the Pirates!

Something's gotta change, and I blame the person who wasn't willing to throw down the money to keep Beltran. The talent is there, but it soon is traded away.

Mastashake

I kind of got used to my team letting it's best and brightest players get traded after a few good years. Not many teams in the league can pay the kind of coin Beltran and his agent requested. I'm sure that Minnesota Twins owner Carl Pohlad, who is probably the richest owner in baseball, would never have paid to keep Beltran. The thing that a small market organization has to do is deal those big name guys away for some very good prospects. It's pretty damn obvious, but some GMs aren't capable of talent evaluation.

Actually, The Royals are ranked 30th in player salaries at about 37 million which is pretty damn cheap.

CoMoChief
04-27-2005, 09:34 PM
I kind of got used to my team letting it's best and brightest players get traded after a few good years. Not many teams in the league can pay the kind of coin Beltran and his agent requested. I'm sure that Minnesota Twins owner Carl Pohlad, who is probably the richest owner in baseball, would never have paid to keep Beltran. The thing that a small market organization has to do is deal those big name guys away for some very good prospects. It's pretty damn obvious, but some GMs aren't capable of talent evaluation.

Actually, The Royals are ranked 30th in player salaries at about 37 million which is pretty damn cheap.

Yeah I think the Yankees' luxury tax is right below our entire team salary. Isnt major league baseball fair?!?!

Cochise
04-27-2005, 09:37 PM

It's only an ownership issue if you think that adding $20 million per year (spending about $60 million) would make this team compete.

Here, I'll spend $20 million.

We need a power hitter, preferably an outfielder. I'll keep away from the Sheffield type guys making $10 million plus and get some younger players who don't cost that much. Say Adam Dunn, he can play LF. That's $5-6 million probably.

Now we need to get at least 1 starter out of this money. Let's say Roy Oswalt, 20 game winner, very good ERA. Another $5-6 million if we trade for him somehow, but he would cost double that on the open market.

Need a closer who is dependable, no team makes the playoffs without one. How about Percival, $6 million.

Alright the money is just about gone, that is $15-18 million. We still only have about 2 starting pitchers out of 5, we've now got 1 guy who's a sure thing in the bullpen, and the lineup outside of Dunn is still horrible. The Royals will probably lose 90-100 this year, but this team isn't that much better.

We need at least 2 guys who will hit 30 home runs, we need a center fielder who can play defense, we need everyone to add about 20 points to their batting average, and we need more consistent defenders at just about every position. We need starters who will give you quality starts most of the time. We need pitchers in the pen who don't always let the inherited runners in and don't give up home run every other appearance.

When we get closer, by all means, I want Glass to spend the money, but this team is too young and miles away from competitive to justify it.

Delano
04-27-2005, 09:37 PM
Yeah I think the Yankees' luxury tax is right below our entire team salary. Isnt major league baseball fair?!?!

I can't really say whether it's fair or not. There are probably merits for and against a salary cap. The Yankees would probably violate it anyway.

What I can say, is that it's pretty damn satisfying to see the Yanks lose in the postseason like they have the last few years. I just wish it was my team that would have beat 'em.

jettio
04-27-2005, 09:38 PM
They seem to have some good strengths and they are losing a lot of one run games to good teams.

I think this year's team is more watchable than last year's and that they are not as bad as their record.

They look like they will be below average on offense the entire year, but I think the bullpen has enough arms that they could do a lot better and quit giving up so many late inning rallies.

Starters look good, and some of the young guys will be decent major leaguers for a long time.

tk13
04-27-2005, 09:40 PM

Mastashake
Beltran wanted a 10 year contract for 200 million dollars from the Royals to keep from testing the free agent market. You want to pony up all that money? That would've been the dumbest move this franchise ever made, would've made it impossible to sign/keep other players as we lost 100 games a year around one good player.

Cochise
04-27-2005, 09:41 PM
Beltran wanted a 10 year contract for 200 million dollars from the Royals to keep from testing the free agent market. That would've been the dumbest move this franchise ever made, would've made it impossible to sign/keep other players as we lost 100 games a year around one good player.

Why, it works so well for the Rangers and A-Rod. Glass is just cheap, he could have kept him... :shake:

Delano
04-27-2005, 09:43 PM
Has it been stated if there is an owner-imposed salary cap for the Royals?

I mean, when the young guys earn bigger salaries, I'm sure Mr. Glass will spend more in a reasonable manner.

gblowfish
04-27-2005, 09:44 PM
I'd rather drink my own urine. :Lin:Yeah, I'd rather watch Cochise drink his urine than root for the Cards......

Oh man...am I bored.

tk13
04-27-2005, 09:48 PM
Has it been stated if there is an owner-imposed salary cap for the Royals?

I mean, when the young guys earn bigger salaries, I'm sure Mr. Glass will spend more in a reasonable manner.
There is no owner imposed salary cap. We spent all offseason trying to add a good corner OF, but we couldn't get one, and we tried trading for a few guys like Austin Kearns and Kevin Mench but other teams were asking for too many of our young guys in return. We're still not far along enough where we have quite enough minor league talent stockpiled to make moves like that. These next couple drafts are going to be huge, because we have a bunch of high-round picks this year, and we'll probably have a bunch of high round picks next year. It's ugly now but if we actually want to win consistently we have be patient and see this through.

ChiefsCountry
04-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Greinke gives me hope. So does Hernandez and Bautisa. Rest of the clowns suck. Well I take that back, DeJesus could be decent, so could Buck, Berroa, and Tehan. The rest are pathetic.

Mastashake
04-27-2005, 10:01 PM

According to USA Today, Beltran was wanting about as much as they're paying Sweeney. And the same principle goes for Johnny Damon (who's the MAN), or Joe Randa (who I like), Jeff Suppan, Raul Ibanez, etc. It's a trend which will continue unless what I said happens.

Mastashake

P.S. Here's my link http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/default.aspx

ChiTown
04-27-2005, 10:07 PM
Interestingly, I thought one of the Royals strenghts would be middle relief. Man, was I ever wrong. Although, I'd have to say that I am overwhelmed at the start Andy Sisco has had. Dude has been rock solid, along with Kyle Snyder. The rest of the mid. relievers have absolutely blown chunks. IMO, that and our absolute lack of power and inability to move runners is what's killing this team. The starting pitching has actally been decent

tk13
04-27-2005, 10:10 PM
According to USA Today, Beltran was wanting about as much as they're paying Sweeney. And the same principle goes for Johnny Damon (who's the MAN), or Joe Randa (who I like), Jeff Suppan, Raul Ibanez, etc. It's a trend which will continue unless what I said happens.

Mastashake

P.S. Here's my link http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/default.aspx
Not quite accurate. This was from when he was still a FA, and remember that he said all along that he wasn't giving anybody a "hometown discount".

One team that inquired about Beltran reported it was told it wouldn't even be considered a "serious" bidder unless it was willing to begin the conversation with a 10-year, $200-million synonym for "hello."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1945084

Mastashake
04-27-2005, 10:10 PM
Interestingly, I thought one of the Royals strenghts would be middle relief. Man, was I ever wrong. Although, I'd have to say that I am overwhelmed at the start Andy Sisco has had. Dude has been rock solid, along with Kyle Snyder. The rest of the mid. relievers have absolutely blown chunks. IMO, that and our absolute lack of power and inability to move runners is what's killing this team. The starting pitching has actally been decent

Let's go Marlin style and make them play it through...LOL

Mastashake

Ninjaman
04-27-2005, 10:11 PM
Why not trade Mcdougal and Affeldt for some bats ?

gblowfish
04-27-2005, 10:11 PM
This year I chose not to attend the home opener because I could see this coming. It's the first time I've voluntarily missed opening day since 1978. This is the first time since the Royals have been in Kansas City I haven't gone to at least one game in April. I went to about 20 games last year, and only saw them win maybe twice or three times.

The Royals just aren't relevant any more. Baseball really does have AAAA teams. The Royals, Tampa Bay, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, San Diego. They're all pretty much minor league teams. Quick: name one guy on Pittsburgh? Hard to do, isn't it? No more Stargell or Clemente. I'm sure nobody in Pittsburgh can name a Royal starter besides Sweeney.

With gas as high as it is, and Chiefs tix going up 17% every other year, I just can't see throwing the money away on the Royals any more. They're hopeless. I mean, they're already more than ten games out in the first freakin' three weeks of the season. They're the worst team in baseball. Nobody....NOBODY is worse than they are. I can't even stand to watch them on TV any more.

The Royals front office wanks for the last fifteen years have been saying "just be happy we have MLB in KC." I guess if you root for "opponent" every night, you'd be seeing .570 or better winning ball every Royals season. The Royals have hovered around .380 or .400 winning percentage just about every year for more than a decade. That's pathetic. We deserve better. I'm totally sick of this "just be happy we have baseball" crap. Mr. Kauffman is doing 360's at Mach 5 in his grave right about now. How does George Brett keep from puking every morning when he has to go to work? I don't know. I've just gotten to the point where I just don't give a damn about the Royals anymore.

But I'll never root for the Yanks or Cardinals ever ever ever.
Ahh....I feel a little better now. Too bad we have another game tomorrow. Rain....Rain.....Rain!!!!

BigRedChief
04-27-2005, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I'd rather watch Cochise drink his urine than root for the Cards......

Oh man...am I bored.
We'd rather see you drink Cochise's urine also. Much more entertaining for us than watching a Royals game this year.

But you guys should keep your heads up. Yeah last year sucked, this year will suck, but maybe the next year you get better and then in 2007 you'll get another shot at the playoffs. Its not the Royals, Glass or the fans fault. Its the frigging baseball economic situation.

Logical
04-27-2005, 10:13 PM
I can't really say whether it's fair or not. There are probably merits for and against a salary cap. The Yankees would probably violate it anyway.

What I can say, is that it's pretty damn satisfying to see the Yanks lose in the postseason like they have the last few years. I just wish it was my team that would have beat 'em.Yes it must really suck to make it to the ALCS or World Series every year. Man I don't know how those Yankee fans can stand it. ROFL

Logical
04-27-2005, 10:23 PM
We'd rather see you drink Cochise's urine also. Much more entertaining for us than watching a Royals game this year.

But you guys should keep your heads up. Yeah last year sucked, this year will suck, but maybe the next year you get better and then in 2007 you'll get another shot at the playoffs. Its not the Royals, Glass or the fans fault. Its the frigging baseball economic situation.

Yeah it has nothing to do that in a ballpark that was designed for speed baseball, the Royals try to build up with long ball prospects. You want to talk about turning over in his grave, Ewing would be, due to the stupidity of not understanding that the Royals have a facility designed for pitching, defense and team speed. Brett was a part of those teams based on those concepts he should be kicking some front office butt to get them back on track.

Mastashake
04-27-2005, 10:24 PM
His contract is 7 years, 119 million. And I do think he may only be getting 12 this year, though I'm not sure. I still think he's worth it if Manny is worth 22 million to the World Champs.

I see I'm fighting a losing battle, I'd just like to see the Royals spend about 30,000,000 more (would put them at the median team salary). And then we'll see what we can do.

Mastashake

Mastashake
04-27-2005, 10:24 PM
Yes it must really suck to make it to the ALCS or World Series every year. Man I don't know how those Yankee fans can stand it. ROFL

I'm gonna cry tears of joy if they don't make it to the playoffs this year. It will be soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sweet

Cochise
04-27-2005, 10:52 PM
I'd just like to see the Royals spend about 30,000,000 more (would put them at the median team salary). And then we'll see what we can do.

That would put us near Detroit, San Diego, Arizona, Cincy. Just behind Baltimore, Chicago, and Houston. Only one of those 7 teams made the playoffs last year.

alnorth
04-27-2005, 10:59 PM
His contract is 7 years, 119 million. And I do think he may only be getting 12 this year, though I'm not sure. I still think he's worth it if Manny is worth 22 million to the World Champs.

I see I'm fighting a losing battle, I'd just like to see the Royals spend about 30,000,000 more (would put them at the median team salary). And then we'll see what we can do.

Mastashake

You want a band-aid that wont really do one damned thing to solve the problem. The rest of us (most of us anyway) are ready to declare a jihad on the large markets with a 2-year lockout to get the revenue sharing we need.

Mastashake
04-27-2005, 11:01 PM
That would put us near Detroit, San Diego, Arizona, Cincy. Just behind Baltimore, Chicago, and Houston. Only one of those 7 teams made the playoffs last year.

True, but they had better records, and only the very top teams will make an annual playoff appearance.

Although the only true solution is a salary cap (and aggressive one) along with revenue sharing, I'm not gonna kid myself enough to think that will happen. A lockout like that would destroy baseball, IMO

Mastashake

stevieray
04-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Speaking of money and Walmart. I hate how their registers beep every tenth of a second like they are reminding you every time they make money.

Frazod
04-27-2005, 11:30 PM
Speaking of money and Walmart. I hate how their registers beep every tenth of a second like they are almost announcing every time they make money.

For that you'd need an air raid siren that runs continuously.

stevieray
04-27-2005, 11:39 PM
For that you'd need an air raid siren that runs continuously.

No kidding.

Coach
04-27-2005, 11:47 PM
Well at least thank goodness for PS2 MVP Baseball 2005. I been playing the Royals, and already, from the year 2005 to 2010, won the AL pennant in 2008, and won 1 WS championship in 2009. :)

ENDelt260
04-27-2005, 11:54 PM
Baseball slut.

Frazod
04-27-2005, 11:56 PM
Baseball slut.

You're just jealous. :p

grandllama
04-28-2005, 12:03 AM

Fark that, I'd rather drink Blowfishes urine after he drank Cochise's urine while having a hydrochloric acid enema :cuss:

grandllama
04-28-2005, 12:09 AM
... Brett was a part of those teams based on those concepts he should be kicking some front office butt to get them back on track.

Ol George is nothing more than a figurehead...sadly.... they keep him in a closet at Kaufman and roll him out and dust him off when they need a tax increase to pass or to point and say, 'Hey, we're committed to the history and heritage of the Kansas City Royals'....

At least he gets a cushy job, they sent poor Frank to that hell hole known as Wichita...

Coach
04-28-2005, 12:23 AM
Ol George is nothing more than a figurehead...sadly.... they keep him in a closet at Kaufman and roll him out and dust him off when they need a tax increase to pass or to point and say, 'Hey, we're committed to the history and heritage of the Kansas City Royals'....

At least he gets a cushy job, they sent poor Frank to that hell hole known as Wichita...

Speaking of Frank, I wouldn't mind seeing him getting the chance to manage the Royals. :shrug:

Nightfyre
04-28-2005, 12:45 AM
Petegz you are a ****ing moron. STFD AND STFU

Braincase
04-28-2005, 05:22 AM
I guess I don't see what the big deal is. Yeah, I hate Glass, but I'd rather have Steinbrenner in the crosshairs than Walmart Dave. I hate baseball in gneral, and swore I'd never go to a MLB baseball game until there was a real salary cap, one that had maximums and minimums. Everybody knew the Royals were going to cut payroll and bring up younger talent in the hopes they'd be good in a few years. Everybody knew we'd suck. The dumb asses that predicted that the Royals would have 70 wins this season were delusional. The way the Royals are going, they'd be lucky to have 70 wins across two seasons. It doesn't matter. They're the home team and I'll pull for them, but even if they won 100 games, I'm still not going to the ballpark. Since 1995.

Archie F. Swin
04-28-2005, 07:17 AM
its gonna be a long summer...

BigRedChief
04-28-2005, 07:20 AM
Fark that, I'd rather drink Blowfishes urine after he drank Cochise's urine while having a hydrochloric acid enema :cuss:

So I guess thats a no vote for you huh? :)

beavis
04-28-2005, 08:23 AM
Actually, he asked to go to Wichita. He had a cushy front office job, but decided he didn't want it.

beavis
04-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Petegz you are a ****ing moron. STFD AND STFU
Maybe if he posts this same thread every night...

oh, wait second.

chiefqueen
04-28-2005, 08:29 AM
its gonna be a long summer...

So......just how many days until River Falls??????????

Crush
04-28-2005, 08:36 AM
:deevee: