PDA

View Full Version : Mitchell to play inside Linebacker instead of Bell???

CanadianChief
04-27-2005, 09:51 PM
I was reading on CBS Sportsline that the KC Star reports that Mitchell will be playing inside LB and Bell will be moved outside. I'm thinking that maybe we could get Boomer in there instead of Mitchell along with Bell and Johnson on either side.

I hope that Barber is given another chance as well. I think that Bell and Johnson would really improve his play. If we release him on June 1st he'll only go back to Philly and make the Pro Bowl this year anyways. Just my 2 cents.

Pants
04-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Ummm, it's April. What Vermiel says now doesn't mean shit.

Delano
04-27-2005, 10:14 PM
I remember reading some quotes from coaches and front office people after the Bell signing that, unfortunately, led me to believe that Mitchell would get the first shot to play inside. I really hope that Kawika improves by leaps and bounds, or that the coaches look at other linebacker line-up options.

Cochise
04-27-2005, 10:16 PM
the board already has Boomer penciled in as our starting MLB ROFL

Count Alex's Wins
04-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Bitch when Mitchell starts and sucks. Until then, STFU!

Rausch
04-27-2005, 10:50 PM
I think the odds are more in favor of Barber coming back healthy than Ka-whiff-a turning into a legit starting MLB...

And I like Bell a whole lot better in the middle than the outside...

Mastashake
04-27-2005, 11:09 PM
People wanting a guy who's never played an NFL game to start at MLB scare me.

Why would you want Bell outside if they have Johnson, Barber, and Fujita out there? I give mad props to Fujita, cause he's one of the only defenders who can tackle. taking him out of our lineup bothers me.

Mastashake

Mr. Christopher
04-27-2005, 11:22 PM
I was reading on CBS Sportsline that the KC Star reports that Mitchell will be playing inside LB and Bell will be moved outside. I'm thinking that maybe we could get Boomer in there instead of Mitchell along with Bell and Johnson on either side.

I hope that Barber is given another chance as well. I think that Bell and Johnson would really improve his play. If we release him on June 1st he'll only go back to Philly and make the Pro Bowl this year anyways. Just my 2 cents.
One concern I have is that Barber is recovering from an ACL injury. Most young players come back from those injuries only after two years of intensive rehab...and aren't even the same player as before.

Barber is not exactly young...and I'm afraid that his recovery will take some time, will slow him down. I'm not counting on him coming back to play outside linebacker, so I'm okay with Bell being on the outside (just so long as Mitchell has stepped up his play at middle linebacker, and EARNS his way to the starting roster).

Cochise
04-27-2005, 11:57 PM
People wanting a guy who's never played an NFL game to start at MLB scare me.

DUDE HAVE YOU HEARD THE SOUND BYTES? :drool: ROFL

Mastashake
04-27-2005, 11:59 PM
DUDE HAVE YOU HEARD THE SOUND BYTES? :drool: ROFL

I don't know what you're talking about. You'll have to excuse me I'm pretty dumb about some stuff. Sorry.

Mastashake

Rausch
04-28-2005, 12:01 AM
One concern I have is that Barber is recovering from an ACL injury. Most young players come back from those injuries only after two years of intensive rehab...and aren't even the same player as before.

Barber is not exactly young...and I'm afraid that his recovery will take some time, will slow him down. I'm not counting on him coming back to play outside linebacker, so I'm okay with Bell being on the outside (just so long as Mitchell has stepped up his play at middle linebacker, and EARNS his way to the starting roster).

Not a preferable situation.

Barber has suffered a career ending type injury and Kawika sucks more than Paris Hilton after 4 days without coke...

chiefsfolife
04-28-2005, 12:03 AM
what about fox

Rausch
04-28-2005, 12:10 AM
what about fox

Well, that's the $50 million question...

morphius
04-28-2005, 12:19 AM
I don't think the D coaches know who is going to be where in that LB crew yet. From the time we signed Bell, it has sounded like the coaching staff is waiting to see who will be healthy and try to fit players in wherever they will fit best.

stevieray
04-28-2005, 12:24 AM
I don't think the D coaches know who is going to be where in that LB crew yet. From the time we signed Bell, it has sounded like the coaching staff is waiting to see who will be healthy and try to fit players in wherever they will fit best.

I want to go to River Falls so bad.

Spicy McHaggis
04-28-2005, 12:33 AM
Well, that's the $50 million question...

Man those 3rd round rookie contracts are getting out of hand.

mcan
04-28-2005, 04:45 AM
I still think our depth chart will look like so...

LOLB: Fujita, Johnson
MLB: Bell, Mitchell
ROLB: Barber, Caver

Untill at least a couple weeks into the season when Johnson gets comfortable enough to start.

yoswif
04-28-2005, 06:21 AM
It's a close call as to who's knees are worse, Maz or Barber. It's questionable whether either can pass a Chief's physical again. As soon as I read his Q&A at kcchiefs.com, I thought Bell was penciled in at Barber's spot. If they intended to play him in the middle, why make a big deal about his versatility?

I think Mitchell is a player Gun has made some personal investment in. His performance last Dec. was encouraging. I don't think Gun wants to give up just yet.

OmahaChief
04-28-2005, 07:20 AM
I think some people are forgetting how well Mitchell played the last half of the season. He was making strides and getting better. A couple of games he really stepped up. The hate for this guy is out of control. He ended the season with the second most tackles on Defense. The last 3 games he had 10, 9 and 9. I think he is only getting better. He was a second roudn pick from a smaller school and it does take time for some people to develop.

God help Johnson if he does not have 15 tackles his first game or blows a pass coverage (it will happen he is a rookie) becuase the fans will turn on him just as they have Mitchell.

KC Jones
04-28-2005, 08:05 AM
I wouldn't ever trust what a national site says about our personnel packages, or even what Vermeil says. Vermeil will throw players a bone in the press, or try to put some heat on them depending on what way the wind is blowing. The national media don't spend enough attention on any one particular team to know it well enough - especially not a team that Hasn't won in the playoffs in 12 years and is in a small midwestern city.

Now if it were the Patriots or Giants the reporter were covering, they might actually take the time to know what's going on with the team.

royr17
04-28-2005, 08:41 AM
I think some people are forgetting how well Mitchell played the last half of the season. He was making strides and getting better. A couple of games he really stepped up. The hate for this guy is out of control. He ended the season with the second most tackles on Defense. The last 3 games he had 10, 9 and 9. I think he is only getting better. He was a second roudn pick from a smaller school and it does take time for some people to develop.

God help Johnson if he does not have 15 tackles his first game or blows a pass coverage (it will happen he is a rookie) becuase the fans will turn on him just as they have Mitchell.

No we wont. Because the MLB is the one that is suppose to be able to record at least 10 to 15 tackles a game, after all he is the QB of the defense and alot of stuff comes up the middle.

ROYC75
04-28-2005, 08:57 AM
Mitchell was a project that DV reached for and was thrown into the ring of fire . He has taken his lumps, he had alot to learn when he came into the league, same as ANY rookie does. The fact that he didn't/hasn't picked it up as quick as some/most of us would like is disharding as a Chiefs fan.

Mitchell did show signs of improvement last year....bout damn time too . Can he continue to progress ? That's left to be seen.

People harped on me for Scanlon, so be it. Last year in preseason, I saw enough of Scanlon at the time that he had as much talent and was reading the ball better than Mitchell. Problem was Mitchell was hand picked by DV and Rich was an undrafted FA. DV wanted Mitchell to excell because of the pick/ possible failed pick.

Here we are a year later and I can be honest, right now Mitchell is better than Rich because of the playing experence. Had the roles been reversed and Rich got the playing time instead of Mitchell, I have all the feelings that Rich would be the better player.

It takes time to learn a complex LB's scheme, Now everybody wants to pencil Boomer in as a starter ? Without experence ? In all fairness, if one's playing ability is head and shoulders better than the competition he is up against it , OK by me.

But last year in preseason, Mitchell was no better than Scanlon from what I saw, it's that Mitchell was DV's pick to make it or fail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ROYC75 has nothing against our LB's, only that the best players are playing and all given equal chance to show the ability of each player.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

whoman69
04-28-2005, 09:04 AM
what about fox
I don't think anyone here has the answer to that question.

I am sure that DVs thinking on this is Mitchell may not be able to make the transition to the outside so better to keep him where he is. Additionally, he is not sure what sort of impact Grigsby could have on the team. If he wants to put the best men on the field, he will keep Bell in the middle, put Kawika as backup for the middle and outside while starting DJ and Fuji on the outside. If we want to put our best three LBs on the field, IMO that's who they will be.

patteeu
04-28-2005, 09:27 AM
I wouldn't ever trust what a national site says about our personnel packages, or even what Vermeil says. Vermeil will throw players a bone in the press, or try to put some heat on them depending on what way the wind is blowing. The national media don't spend enough attention on any one particular team to know it well enough - especially not a team that Hasn't won in the playoffs in 12 years and is in a small midwestern city.

Now if it were the Patriots or Giants the reporter were covering, they might actually take the time to know what's going on with the team.

This was originally reported by Adam Teicher.

Lzen
04-28-2005, 09:47 AM
I still hope Mitchell can become a good player. And he did improve last year coming down the stretch. I think a lot of us tend to forget that he had to learn Knob's read and react scheme as a rookie and then switched to a completely different scheme last season. Perhaps if the scheme hadn't been changed last year, he would've been much further along. I'm still not even close to being ready to call him a bust.

Lzen
04-28-2005, 09:49 AM
Also, didn't someone say that Mitchell played OLB in college? I wonder if it would make more sense to put him on the outside and Bell in the middle. I'm sure Gun will experiment in TC and find the best lineup.

ROYC75
04-28-2005, 09:51 AM
Also, didn't someone say that Mitchell played OLB in college? I wonder if it would make more sense to put him on the outside and Bell in the middle. I'm sure Gun will experiment in TC and find the best lineup.

He did, but as long as it took him to adjust to Gun's MLB scheme, how long to adjust to the OLB schemes ?

He's had a year in the middle now, why hit the season with 2 LB's learning new schemes instead of just one...... Bell, Mitchell and Fujita.

Count Alex's Wins
04-28-2005, 09:55 AM
No we wont. Because the MLB is the one that is suppose to be able to record at least 10 to 15 tackles a game, after all he is the QB of the defense and alot of stuff comes up the middle.

There are very few MLBs that are capable of averaging 10 tackles a game, and NONE that are capable of averaging 15.

htismaqe
04-28-2005, 09:56 AM
This was originally reported by Adam Teicher.

And who are Teicher's sources?

Please don't say the Chiefs because we all know he doesn't talk to them.

htismaqe
04-28-2005, 10:04 AM
He did, but as long as it took him to adjust to Gun's MLB scheme, how long to adjust to the OLB schemes ?

He's had a year in the middle now, why hit the season with 2 LB's learning new schemes instead of just one...... Bell, Mitchell and Fujita.

I certainly hope you're kidding.

If we go into the season with BOTH Mitchell and Fujita starting, I will have had it with this ****ing team.

GET DERRICK JOHNSON ON THE FIELD.

ROYC75
04-28-2005, 10:38 AM
I certainly hope you're kidding.

If we go into the season with BOTH Mitchell and Fujita starting, I will have had it with this ****ing team.

GET DERRICK JOHNSON ON THE FIELD.

Kidding ? At this time, No.

As much as I would like to see Johnson starting, I see Fujita starting for a few weeks until Johnson is ready. Of course unless Johnson kicks ass in TC and has a good feeling for the scheme and Gun goes with him then.

I see Gun going with experence first on D and then working the speed into the mix as time moves along.

I can see where Gun would feel better with one guy learning the scheme instead of 2 guy. He has mentioned that in the past,ref: Mitchell staying in the middle. Again, all of this is speculation, TC hasn't begun yet.

My ideal LB's would be :A youth movement

ROLB... Johnson, Fox
MLB ... Bell,Mitchell,Scanlon
LOLB ...Fujita,Grigsby

What I feel Gun will do is keep 7 LB's out of these 8

ROLB ...Bell,Caver/or Grisgby
MLB ...Mitchell, Scanlon
LOLB ...Fujita,Johnson,Fox

Again, all of this is speculation

Lzen
04-28-2005, 11:23 AM

As much as I would like to see Johnson starting, I see Fujita starting for a few weeks until Johnson is ready. Of course unless Johnson kicks ass in TC and has a good feeling for the scheme and Gun goes with him then.

I see Gun going with experence first on D and then working the speed into the mix as time moves along.

I can see where Gun would feel better with one guy learning the scheme instead of 2 guy. He has mentioned that in the past,ref: Mitchell staying in the middle. Again, all of this is speculation, TC hasn't begun yet.

ROLB... Johnson, Fox
LOLB ...Fujita,Grigsby

MLB ...Mitchell, Scanlon

Uh, isn't Grigsby a MLB?

Count Alex's Wins
04-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Uh, isn't Grigsby a MLB?

He has to make room for Scanlon.

htismaqe
04-28-2005, 11:26 AM

ROLB... Johnson, Fox
LOLB ...Fujita,Grigsby

MLB ...Mitchell, Scanlon

Well, if that all comes true, we have the dumbest set of coaches on the face of the earth.

Bell is a MLB, plain and simple. He's the best run-stopper we have at LB. Yes, he can rush the passer. But he's not good in coverage, which is a requirement for both of our OLB's.

If we start 2 of the 3 LB's that ABSOLUTELY SUCKED last season...well, that's plain horseshit.

From day 1, the starting lineup should be:

ROLB--whoever wins in TC with a nod towards Fujita
MLB--Bell
LOLB--Johnson

Anything less than that is accepting failure.

Count Alex's Wins
04-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Well, if that all comes true, we have the dumbest set of coaches on the face of the earth.

Bell is a MLB, plain and simple. He's the best run-stopper we have at LB. Yes, he can rush the passer. But he's not good in coverage, which is a requirement for both of our OLB's.

If we start 2 of the 3 LB's that ABSOLUTELY SUCKED last season...well, that's plain horseshit.

MLB--Bell
LOLB--Johnson

I've been wondering how difficult a switch from LOLB to ROLB would be for Fujita. I always thought he was a natural to cover tight ends with his size and speed but I guess not.

yoswif
04-28-2005, 11:38 AM

There is a direct quote from Gun in the Teicher article comparing Bell to Anthony Davis. That seems like pretty solid evidence that Gun wants Bell to play ROLB and blitz like AD did from the same position.

If Bell is ROLB, someone else is going to be playing MLB and Mitchell is the incumbent. If Mitchell is making 8-10 tackles a game as he was at the end of last season, some might start comparing Mitchell to Tracy Simien.

htismaqe
04-28-2005, 11:39 AM
I've been wondering how difficult a switch from LOLB to ROLB would be for Fujita. I always thought he was a natural to cover tight ends with his size and speed but I guess not.

According to Vermeil, our OLB's are interchangeable, so I'm not sure it matters...either way, our #1 OLB should be Johnson, our MLB should be Bell, and let the rest of them fight it out for the other OLB spot.

htismaqe
04-28-2005, 11:40 AM
There is a direct quote from Gun in the Teicher article comparing Bell to Anthony Davis. That seems like pretty solid evidence that Gun wants Bell to play ROLB and blitz like AD did from the same position.

If Bell is ROLB, someone else is going to be playing MLB and Mitchell is the incumbent. If Mitchell is making 8-10 tackles a game as he was at the end of last season, some might start comparing Mitchell to Tracy Simien.

Thanks. That's precisely why I asked.

Mr. Laz
04-28-2005, 11:41 AM

i still think this left/right confusion is because Vermeil is looking at the defense from the offensive side of the field.

fujita was always on the right side IF you are standing behind the QB.

Count Alex's Wins
04-28-2005, 11:42 AM
i still think this left/right confusion is because Vermeil is looking at the defense from the offensive side of the field.

fujita was always on the right side IF you are standing behind the QB.

He can't be that dumb...can he?

nascher
04-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Option 1

ROLB BELL
MLB MITCHELL
LOLB JOHNSON

or

ROLB JOHNSON
MLB BELL
LOLB FUJITA

Fujita never played MLB
Mitchell never played OLB
Fujita played LOLB
Barber played ROLB

Bell is an 3-4 inside LB we can use him at MLB or OLB both are "new" positions for him.

Johnson never played in the NFL but is more suited for either OLB spot.

Count Alex's Wins
04-28-2005, 11:49 AM
I wish our LBs were healthy. I think a lineup of Barber, Bell and Johnson would be one of the best LB corps in the NFL. Fujita would be a great backup.

Mr. Laz
04-28-2005, 11:55 AM
If Mitchell is making 8-10 tackles a game as he was at the end of last season, some might start comparing Mitchell to Tracy Simien.
that's a stretch

final 5 games fo the season

game ____ tackles
@oakland __ 3
@Tennessee 2
Denver ____ 9
Oakland ___ 8
@San Diego 6

patteeu
04-28-2005, 11:58 AM

You'd have to check with him on that. He doesn't talk to me either.

philfree
04-28-2005, 12:05 PM
6'1" 234 lbs
6'1" 253 lbs

Which one says MLB and which one says OLB? I have no problem with Bell playing ROLB and I think it will lead him to more big plays. Before we got Johnson I could see Bell as MLB being the strongest player out of our LBs he could help both right and left OLBs from there. But since we gained such a strong, fast/quick LB with range in Johnson I can see bracketing Mithcell with our two best LBs. Instead of Bell being burdened with the responsibility of helping the guys on the outside he can play his position much more aggressively becuase he won't have the responsibility of helping guys on two sides. With Bell and Johnson on the outside things should be simplified for Mitchell in the middle.

PhilFree:arrow:

Count Alex's Wins
04-28-2005, 12:06 PM
6'1" 234 lbs
6'1" 253 lbs

Which one says MLB and which one says OLB? I have no problem with Bell playing ROLB and I think it will lead him to more big plays. Before we got Johnson I could see Bell as MLB being the strongest player out of our LBs he could help both right and left OLBs from there. But since we gained such a strong, fast/quick LB with range in Johnson I can see bracketing Mithcell with our two best LBs. Instead of Bell being burdened with the responsibility of helping the guys on the outside he can play his position much more aggressively becuase he won't have the responsibility of helping guys on two sides. With Bell and Johnson on the outside things should be simplified for Mitchell in the middle.

You've got some faulty data. Bell is 6'1 257. Johnson is 6'3 242.

ROYC75
04-28-2005, 12:12 PM

MLB--Bell
LOLB--Johnson

I understand your feelings and concerns.

But what way will Gun go ?

philfree
04-28-2005, 12:15 PM
You've got some faulty data. Bell is 6'1 257. Johnson is 6'3 242.

Actually that's Bell and Mitchell's weight and I used what the Chiefs Roster lists for player ht and wt. I guess they could have it wrong but I'll trust them over other sources.

royr17
04-28-2005, 12:15 PM
6'1" 234 lbs
6'1" 253 lbs

That is a typo on kcchiefs because Kendrell Bell is 257, not 234.

It a error. So if you are basing him on weight on outside, then its wrong.

Count Alex's Wins
04-28-2005, 12:16 PM
Actually that's Bell and Mitchell's weight and I used what the Chiefs Roster lists for player ht and wt. I guess they could have it wrong but I'll trust them over other sources.

Ah. Bell is wrong then. Mitchell is correct.

royr17
04-28-2005, 12:17 PM
Ah. Bell is wrong then. Mitchell is correct.

Damn, I was gettin ready to tell you he was comparing Bell and Mitchell.

philfree
04-28-2005, 12:19 PM
You boys should post your sources I recon if you're gonna be correcting others and their sources.

nascher
04-28-2005, 12:24 PM
i'am pretty sure the starting lineup will be

ROLB BELL
MLB MITCHELL
LOLB JOHNSON

all 3 have speed Johnson has extreme speed for such a big guy + tremendous coverage skills (like a DB).

cmh6476
04-28-2005, 12:31 PM
heading into training camp, they'll probably go with guys that have NFL experience as the starters (Mitchell, Bell, & Fujita).

But it will probably all depend on what DJohnson shows during camp.

Count Alex's Wins
04-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Damn, I was gettin ready to tell you he was comparing Bell and Mitchell.

That's OK, I've never been laid...you rock!

Rain Man
04-28-2005, 12:40 PM
If we end up with any combination other than Johnson, Bell, and Fujita, I'm going to be annoyed. (This assumes that Barber isn't 100 percent, and even then I like the first group better.)

Mitchell? What the - ?

Coogs
04-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Before we got Johnson I could see Bell as MLB being the strongest player out of our LBs he could help both right and left OLBs from there. But since we gained such a strong, fast/quick LB with range in Johnson I can see bracketing Mithcell with our two best LBs. Instead of Bell being burdened with the responsibility of helping the guys on the outside he can play his position much more aggressively becuase he won't have the responsibility of helping guys on two sides. With Bell and Johnson on the outside things should be simplified for Mitchell in the middle.

Excellent take. I've thought the same thing.

chiefsfolife
04-28-2005, 01:17 PM
i think kearon fox is better than everyone thinks. Granted he hasnt proven himself but i gotta feeling bout this guy

philfree
04-28-2005, 01:25 PM
Excellent take. I've thought the same thing.

Great minds...... :)

The idea is to put the most effective on the field and this may well be the best of doing that. Also with less worry for Mitchell his game may get better sooner then later.

philfree
04-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Great minds...... :)

The idea is to put the most effective on the field and this may well be the best of doing that. Also with less worry for Mitchell his game may get better sooner then later.

with this line up we'd just have to pull Mitchell and put in a CB for our $.05 package. No player has to move from one position to another.

philfree
04-28-2005, 01:38 PM
that's a stretch

final 5 games fo the season

game ____ tackles
@oakland __ 3
@Tennessee 2
Denver ____ 9
Oakland ___ 8
@San Diego 6

I don't think those are his total tackles. He had 56 total tackles for the last nine games. That's where he became the starter again at MLB. That's 6.22 tackles per game and that ain't bad. That transpires to 99.5 tackles in 16 games. If he improves a little he should be able to avg about 8 tackles a game. That's the key though, improvement with fewar mistakes. With good players on each side of him I can see Mitchell making the needed improvement. And when he messes up we'll have a really fast OLB on each side to baik him out.