PDA

View Full Version : Dick Vermeil

T-post Tom
04-27-2005, 09:37 PM
Just heard the rebroadcast of his NFL radio interview from this morning.
The guy is truly impressive. Smart, funny and incredibly personable. He really impressed Dan Reeves and his co-host. What a dramatic foil to CP and his public personna. The man is a great ambassador for KC & the Chiefs. I'm sure this is a repost but here's a few nuggets he dropped:

1. Will Shields will be back, but has mildly arthritic knees. He will be closely monitored and limited in practice.

2. DV considers the Chiefs somewhat deep at CB & will consider moving Bartee to safety.

3. He will consider staying after next season if he feels that he's helping the team progress.

4. Trent should play another 3 or 4 years. He think that Trent's best football is ahead of him.

5. Willie Roaf has looked spectacular in drills.

beer bacon
04-27-2005, 09:39 PM
Just heard the rebroadcast of his NFL radio interview from this morning.
The guy is truly impressive. Smart, funny and incredibly personable. He really impressed Dan Reeves and his co-host. What a dramatic foil to CP and his public personna. The man is a great ambassador for KC & the Chiefs. I'm sure this is a repost but here's a few nuggets he dropped:

1. Will Shields will be back, but has mildly arthritic knees. He will be closely monitored and limited in practice.

2. DV considers the Chiefs somewhat deep at CB & will consider moving Bartee to safety.

3. He will consider staying after next season if he feels that he's helping the team progress.

4. Trent should play another 3 or 4 years. He think that Trent's best football is ahead of him.

5. Willie Roaf has looked spectacular in drills.

It will be amazing if Shields starts to fade before Roaf. For years people have been predicting Roaf's legs were going to end his NFL career, but year after year he just keeps going strong.

Douche Baggins
04-27-2005, 09:41 PM
That's interesting stuff. Green's improved every year with the Chiefs so I can definitely see why Vermeil thinks that.

Very glad to see Bartee moving where he belongs.

C-Mac
04-27-2005, 09:51 PM
I may be the lone wolf here, but I also like the thought of Vermeil continuing to coach after this year.

Rausch
04-27-2005, 09:52 PM
I've already started to wonder if the Rams pick of a LT this year might be a signal Pace get's traded next year.

If DV is here I can see us coughing up a 1st for Pace to take Meat Roaf's spot...

Logical
04-27-2005, 09:58 PM
2. DV considers the Chiefs somewhat deep at CB & will consider moving Bartee to safety

Bout damn time they woke up about Bartee, now if they would just wake up that Battle is only suited to be a safety, we might be set at safety for years to come and remove a couple of liabilities at CB.

Rausch
04-27-2005, 10:00 PM
Bout damn time they woke up about Bartee, now if they would just wake up that Battle is only suited to be a safety, we might be set at safety for years to come and remove a couple of liabilities at CB.

I'm not ready to give up on Battle. He's got the speed, quickness, and ability to play CB. He's just playing CB way too physical and he's a flag magnet.

Bartee on the other hand I'd like to see shot in the street...

Mr. Christopher
04-27-2005, 10:04 PM
Green's best football ahead of him? At his age? That's saying a lot, DV...but I'm glad to hear it.

Deep at CB? DV must put more stock into Battle and McCleon than I do. I must say that I am excited about the prospect of Warfield at #2...he's a decent corner, just not spectacular. Surtain and he will make up a decent tandem for starters. And I like the idea of Bartee moving to safety...but I'd be better off if he rode the bench this year as our 2005 waterboy.

Good to hear about Roaf's drills...and not so good to hear about Shields - but hopefully, he'll be alright.

Also, I think the Chiefs are going to get close this year. If they don't make it deep into the playoffs, I think I will be disappointed. I hope that if the Chiefs don't make it this year, that DV does decide to go for another year. He's been a great coach, and has left a good mark with the Chiefs over these past four years. I would hate to see him leave without a Super Bowl victory.

philfree
04-27-2005, 10:42 PM
I may be the lone wolf here, but I also like the thought of Vermeil continuing to coach after this year.
It won't hurt my feelings none. IMO we've got the players and we've got the coordinators to go far and keeping them together is the smart thing to do. Since Carl signed his extention I see no need to let DV hurry out the door. I bet he coaches one more year "at least"!

PhilFree:arrow:

stevieray
04-27-2005, 11:18 PM
I think Bartee will shine at safety.

That is a bummer about Will's knees. They have got to get him SB ring.

Chan93lx50
04-28-2005, 04:16 AM
If they move Bartee to Safety and it works they will feel like geniuses, and just think all they had to do was read the planet! :rolleyes:

Big Chief Homer
04-28-2005, 06:22 AM
Im gonna go out on a limb and say DV returns(unless the team totaly collapses).

In an interview DV did on NFL network a few weeks back about NFL wifes,he said Carol loves it in K.C.

She has put her heart and soul into a charity that feeds needy kids. She has put so much into it that he felt if he was to retire back to the farm in Penn. that should would possibly stay behind in K.C. for a few years.

Carol was also stated to say " I know how he gets when he retires,hes a pain in the ass, he can coach as long as he wants.To be honest I see him dropping dead on the sideline"

(he did this interview with-I cant think of her name,but her father was DV's mentor and he was a long time coach of the redskins)

nmt1
04-28-2005, 06:35 AM
If they move Bartee to Safety and it works they will feel like geniuses, and just think all they had to do was read the planet! :rolleyes:

Yeah, if they'd just listen to the Geniouses here, we'd win every Superbowl. Of course if they listened to the Geniouses here, we wouldn't have Priest or Trent but I'm sure Trent Dilfer and Charlie Garner would've worked just as well.

patteeu
04-28-2005, 06:57 AM
I've already started to wonder if the Rams pick of a LT this year might be a signal Pace get's traded next year.

If DV is here I can see us coughing up a 1st for Pace to take Meat Roaf's spot...

I don't think so. It might happen, but the Rams needed a second tackle whether Pace sticks around or not. They blame their fall off from the Superbowl years on an unreliable offensive line that led to too many sacks and too much pressure on the QB (especially the right tackle). That's why they signed Kyle Turley, who obviously didn't work out.

yoswif
04-28-2005, 07:54 AM
Moving Bartee to safety should get him cut faster. His tackling is as bad as his coverage. Nothing like a bad tackling safety that can't keep his eye on the ball and run fast at the same time.

Move Battle to safety to. He's more physical than Bartee, has some ball skills, and would be good competition for Woods at free safety, imo. Keep looking for cornerbacks that have played cornerback with some success.

nmt1
04-28-2005, 08:33 AM
Moving Bartee to safety should get him cut faster. His tackling is as bad as his coverage. Nothing like a bad tackling safety that can't keep his eye on the ball and run fast at the same time.

Move Battle to safety to. He's more physical than Bartee, has some ball skills, and would be good competition for Woods at free safety, imo. Keep looking for cornerbacks that have played cornerback with some success.

I think you'll find many that will disagree with you on Bartee's tackling ability. Being physical has never been his problem. Playing corner has been the issue. He plays special teams and is under contract for several more years. Battle is most likely towards the end of his contract and hasn't played special teams. Battle looks to me like the odd man out.

ChiefsFanatic
04-28-2005, 08:37 AM

Or play him at his college position.

Coach
I'd disagree about the tackling thing for Bartee. In fact, that's probably his best assest right now, coming up and support aganist the run. There were several good hits that Bartee put on whenever the play was towards him, and he isn't afraid to hit someone.

His pass coverage, however, is a liability. But being moved back to the S spot can help him, becuase then he doesn't have to look at the WR all the f**king time, then turn his head back (Which he is unable to do it on a consistent basis.) On the S spot, all he has to do is watch the QB's eyes and follow from there. He would also probably be pretty good coming from a S blitz.

shakesthecat
I think you'll find many that will disagree with you on Bartee's tackling ability. Being physical has never been his problem. Playing corner has been the issue. He plays special teams and is under contract for several more years. Battle is most likely towards the end of his contract and hasn't played special teams. Battle looks to me like the odd man out.

Battle plays ST's.
Just ask any Donk fan who saw Dante's punt return against them in Arrowhead 2 years ago.

And you're right about Bartee's tackling. That's the best part of his game.

whoman69
04-28-2005, 08:40 AM
Deep at corner? Could Vermeil actually expect the rookie to be good enough to make a contribution at nickle? I hope its not because he's counting on Battle to play there.

Frankie
04-28-2005, 08:40 AM
You are not alone. Me too.

Frankie
04-28-2005, 08:43 AM
I'm not ready to give up on Battle. He's got the speed, quickness, and ability to play CB. He's just playing CB way too physical and he's a flag magnet.

Bartee on the other hand I'd like to see shot in the street...

ROFL
Though my sentiment on the subject is not as radical as yours, I share your preference of Battle over Bartee as well.

Frankie
04-28-2005, 08:44 AM

Isn't Pace on a one year contract? Maybe he'll be FA.

philfree
04-28-2005, 08:47 AM
Im gonna go out on a limb and say DV returns(unless the team totaly collapses).

In an interview DV did on NFL network a few weeks back about NFL wifes,he said Carol loves it in K.C.

She has put her heart and soul into a charity that feeds needy kids. She has put so much into it that he felt if he was to retire back to the farm in Penn. that should would possibly stay behind in K.C. for a few years.

Carol was also stated to say " I know how he gets when he retires,hes a pain in the ass, he can coach as long as he wants.To be honest I see him dropping dead on the sideline"

(he did this interview with-I cant think of her name,but her father was DV's mentor and he was a long time coach of the redskins)

George Allen's daughter?

Frankie
04-28-2005, 08:48 AM
Good to hear about Roaf's drills...and not so good to hear about Shields - but hopefully, he'll be alright.
I love Willie Shields. He deserves a SB ring. That said, I think he is more replacable than Roaf. So this sounds OK.

ChiefsOne
04-28-2005, 08:52 AM

God I hope not, we don't need his lazy ass & attitude.

Frankie
04-28-2005, 08:59 AM
Carol was also stated to say " I know how he gets when he retires,hes a pain in the ass,..."

I....must....refrain....from....commenting....on....DV's.....sex....habits...!

(I respect him too much)

Frankie
04-28-2005, 09:01 AM
Yeah, if they'd just listen to the Geniouses here, we'd win every Superbowl. Of course if they listened to the Geniouses here, we wouldn't have Priest or Trent but I'm sure Trent Dilfer and Charlie Garner would've worked just as well.

:clap:

Frankie
04-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Moving Bartee to safety should get him cut faster. His tackling is as bad as his coverage.
Yet, it is the natural progression of the Bartee story so the Chiefs can make a final decision on him one way or the other. With this move, the 05 training camp will be his make-or-break one.

Big Chief Homer
04-28-2005, 09:05 AM
[/B]

George Allen's daughter?

yes,thats it thanks :clap:

DaWolf
04-28-2005, 09:23 AM
If we're winning, Dick Vermeil is more than welcome to continue to coach my favorite franchise. If we're not, he better hit the wineries...