PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Boggy Creek

siberian khatru
04-28-2005, 12:18 PM
I saw this movie when I was a kid in the 70s and it scared the living shit out of me. I haven't seen it in almost 30 years.

Two questions:

1) Anybody else seen it?

2) It's out on DVD, and I'll soon have some birthday $$ to spend. Should I buy it and risk either a) being terrified again and not be able to sleep at night, or b) find it so lame and cheesy as an adult that it will ruin a vivid childhood memory?

NewChief
04-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Similar experience with a movie called Gargoyles (http://imdb.com/title/tt0068622/). It was really, really bad. Definitely worth reliving a childhood movie like that, though. It's weird the crap that scared you back then, when you little.

Bwana
04-28-2005, 12:22 PM
I did when I was a little kid also and it scared the shit of of me as well. I think you can get it on DVD. Try Ebay.

Brock
04-28-2005, 12:23 PM
I think it was a double feature with Food of the Gods.

Bob Dole
04-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Seen it?

Bob Dole lives it.

NewChief
04-28-2005, 12:25 PM
I should add that my grandmother taught school in Fouke, Arkansas for a while. She swore that the Fouke monster was real.

siberian khatru
04-28-2005, 12:25 PM
I did when I was a little kid also and it scared the shit of of me as well. I think you can get it on DVD. Try Ebay.

Amazon's got it, no problem there.

And yeah, I've seen Gargoyles, but I wasn't a kid and therefore it probably didn't scare me as bad.

InChiefsHell
04-28-2005, 12:26 PM
i remember that one...scared me too. I was about 9 or 10. Haven't seen it since though, but I'd bet you can't go wrong. It's nostalgia more than anything. Kinda like Watcher in the Woods. I thought that movie was scary as hell. Caught it a few years ago, and I guess I could see why it was scary at the age of 12, but not so much anymore...

Troy1220
04-28-2005, 12:26 PM
Yep,

I saw it. Wasn't it set in Arkansas? Usually, when one thinks of Bigfoot you think of the Pacific Northwest. I remember one scene where the kid is walking through the woods at dusk and Bigfoot starts howling...pretty scarey stuff when you are 9-10 years old.

Troy

wilas101
04-28-2005, 12:27 PM
This is off topic of this movie but it reminded me of watching The Octagon.

I loved that movie when I was young but after watching it on Cinemax the other day I believe it should be moved out of the action genre and placed in comedy.

That was the funniest damn movie I've seen in a long time.

Bob Dole
04-28-2005, 12:29 PM
Yep,

I saw it. Wasn't it set in Arkansas? Usually, when one thinks of Bigfoot you think of the Pacific Northwest. I remember one scene where the kid is walking through the woods at dusk and Bigfoot starts howling...pretty scarey stuff when you are 9-10 years old.

It's set around Fouke, which is about 10 minutes from where Bob Dole is sitting at the moment.

Bwana
04-28-2005, 12:29 PM
Yep,

Troy
Now granted, it's been A LOT a years ago since I saw it, but I seem to remember a cat that was scared stiff? ROFL

JimNasium
04-28-2005, 12:30 PM
I saw this movie when I was a kid in the 70s and it scared the living shit out of me. I haven't seen it in almost 30 years.

Two questions:

1) Anybody else seen it?

2) It's out on DVD, and I'll soon have some birthday $$ to spend. Should I buy it and risk either a) being terrified again and not be able to sleep at night, or b) find it so lame and cheesy as an adult that it will ruin a vivid childhood memory?
It scared the shit out of me as well. My suspicion is that it won't hold up too well. I've seen two movies from that era that haven't held up well at all, The fish that saved Pittsburgh and Phantasm. I still thaink I'm gonna take a chance and watch Boggy Creek again though.

siberian khatru
04-28-2005, 12:33 PM
It scared the shit out of me as well. My suspicion is that it won't hold up too well. I've seen two movies from that era that haven't held up well at all, The fish that saved Pittsburgh and Phantasm. I still thaink I'm gonna take a chance and watch Boggy Creek again though.

I bought Phantasm on DVD last Halloween and I still liked it. I wasn't AS scared as I was 25 years ago, but I still get a little creeped out by the Tall Man. ("Boy!!!") I still found it a fun movie to watch.

Rain Man
04-28-2005, 12:34 PM
It's set around Fouke, which is about 10 minutes from where Bob Dole is sitting at the moment.

Coincidence? I think not.

siberian khatru
04-28-2005, 12:34 PM
This is off topic of this movie but it reminded me of watching The Octagon.

I loved that movie when I was young but after watching it on Cinemax the other day I believe it should be moved out of the action genre and placed in comedy.

That was the funniest damn movie I've seen in a long time.

We're talking the Chuck Norris "Octagon"? I love that movie. That and "Lone Wolf McQuade."

siberian khatru
04-28-2005, 12:35 PM
I should add that my grandmother taught school in Fouke, Arkansas for a while. She swore that the Fouke monster was real.

I'm beginning to wonder if Bob Dole is real.

Bob Dole
04-28-2005, 01:04 PM
There's still some "Fouke Monster" stuff down around there, but it's not nearly like it used to be. Carl Finch (Brave Combo) claims to have seen it, but that was 20 years ago... You can stop and get a soft drink at the Monster Mart on your way to Shreveport.

You might find more info than you really want at Smokey Crabtree's site: http://www.smokeyandthefoukemonster.com/

siberian khatru
04-28-2005, 01:08 PM
There's still some "Fouke Monster" stuff down around there, but it's not nearly like it used to be. Carl Finch (Brave Combo) claims to have seen it, but that was 20 years ago... You can stop and get a soft drink at the Monster Mart on your way to Shreveport.

You might find more info than you really want at Smokey Crabtree's site: http://www.smokeyandthefoukemonster.com/

Ha, I googled Boggy Creek 2-3 years ago and came across that site. Do Crabtrees make up 75% of Foulke's population?

Bob Dole
04-28-2005, 01:08 PM
BTW - Creature from Black Lake is clearly the same monster. He just moved west a little because of all the attention around Fouke.

Bob Dole
04-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Ha, I googled Boggy Creek 2-3 years ago and came across that site. Do Crabtrees make up 75% of Foulke's population?

It's probably closer to 90%.

Fouke is just a little bit backwards. (Except for the folks in North Fouke. They claim to be progressive.)

siberian khatru
04-28-2005, 01:11 PM
BTW - Creature from Black Lake is clearly the same monster. He just moved west a little because of all the attention around Fouke.

There was also a similar Bigfoot movie around 1976-77 about McCulloch's Mountain. Wherever that was supposed to be. Those are the 3 I remember: Boggy Creek, Black Lake and McCulloch's Mountain.

siberian khatru
04-28-2005, 01:11 PM
It's probably closer to 90%.

Fouke is just a little bit backwards. (Except for the folks in North Fouke. They claim to be progressive.)

Damn uppity suburbanites.

Bob Dole
04-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Damn uppity suburbanites.

It's pretty funny to hear them say they are from "North Fouke," since the town has less than 1000 residents and it probably less than a mile long from north to south.

CosmicPal
04-28-2005, 01:20 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00007M5I3/qid=1114715900/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-1622109-8588122?v=glance&s=dvd

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00007M5I3.01._PE10_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Chest Rockwell
04-28-2005, 01:20 PM

Two questions:

1) Anybody else seen it?

1) Yup, same kinda thing as you. Scared sensless when I was a kid.

2) Watched again a couple of years ago on a sleepless night when it happend to be on. Did not hold up well film wise, at all. Lame, cheesy, and I loved every minute of it. Nostalgia and "laugh at the goofy sh*t that scared me when I was a kid wise? To quote Billy Bob from Varsity Blues: "A 10...A 10...A F*CKIN' 10!!!"

Bob Dole
04-28-2005, 01:21 PM
The MST3K version of Return to Boggy Creek is pretty good.

siberian khatru
04-28-2005, 01:22 PM
It's pretty funny to hear them say they are from "North Fouke," since the town has less than 1000 residents and it probably less than a mile long from north to south.

My hometown is pop. 2,000, and folks there still talk about different "sections" of town and "neighborhoods." Extreme Chief knows what I'm talking about.

munkey
04-28-2005, 01:24 PM

Two questions:

1) Anybody else seen it?

Saw it at same age with same reaction...

Saw it about a year ago and couldn't sit through 30 minutes of it...IT'S THAT BAD...

siberian khatru
04-28-2005, 01:24 PM
1) Yup, same kinda thing as you. Scared sensless when I was a kid.

2) Watched again a couple of years ago on a sleepless night when it happend to be on. Did not hold up well film wise, at all. Lame, cheesy, and I loved every minute of it. Nostalgia and "laugh at the goofy sh*t that scared me when I was a kid wise? To quote Billy Bob from Varsity Blues: "A 10...A 10...A F*CKIN' 10!!!"

Every month when the DirecTV guide comes out I check in the back in the movie listings to see if Boggy Creek is on that month. It never is. Guess I'll break down and buy the DVD.

siberian khatru
04-28-2005, 01:25 PM
The MST3K version of Return to Boggy Creek is pretty good.

Starring Dawn Wells and Dana Plato!

munkey
04-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Every month when the DirecTV guide comes out I check in the back in the movie listings to see if Boggy Creek is on that month. It never is. Guess I'll break down and buy the DVD.

If you want to throw your money away I'll give you an account to put it in....

Ultra Peanut
04-28-2005, 01:27 PM
The Legend of Bagger Vance was supposedly pretty scary, too.

Duck Dog
04-28-2005, 01:33 PM
I saw it when I was a kid at Oak Park Mall theaters. I remeber getting the begezus scared out of me too.

Bob Dole
04-28-2005, 01:42 PM
Starring Dawn Wells and Dana Plato!

Oops. Wrong one. MST3K did The Barbaric Beast of Boggy Creek, Part II, not Return to Boggy Creek.

What a creepy ****ing area. The Town the Dreaded Sundown, 3 movies worth of Fouke Monster crap and a Black Lake Creature.

siberian khatru
04-28-2005, 01:47 PM
The Legend of Bagger Vance was supposedly pretty scary, too.

Filmed right here in Savannah. Got to see Robert Redford and Charlize Theron up close. The crew turned the bottom level of my parking garage into a hardware store for one scene. Kinda neat.

Ultra Peanut
04-28-2005, 01:53 PM
You own a parking garage?

Awesome!

CosmicPal
04-28-2005, 01:56 PM
Got to see...Charlize Theron up close.

Uhhhh, that would be sweet. Like how close did you get?

:D

Bwana
04-28-2005, 02:01 PM
If you see that thing running around, be sure to send a Bwana my may. I'll bring the beer and the fire power. We will go out and get us a new rug. :) I wonder if they taste like chicken?

Brock
04-28-2005, 02:01 PM
Oops. Wrong one. MST3K did The Barbaric Beast of Boggy Creek, Part II, not Return to Boggy Creek.

What a creepy ****ing area. The Town the Dreaded Sundown, 3 movies worth of Fouke Monster crap and a Black Lake Creature.

And Leatherface?

Chest Rockwell
04-28-2005, 02:03 PM

I was kinda wondering that too.

Did she touch your penis?

Bob Dole
04-28-2005, 02:15 PM
And Leatherface?

Leatherface is a fictional character.

Bob Dole
04-28-2005, 02:16 PM
If you see that thing running around, be sure to send a Bwana my may. I'll bring the beer and the fire power. We will go out and get us a new rug. :) I wonder if they taste like chicken?

All this discussion has Bob Dole thinking that he needs to grab the GPS and go plant a geocache down there.

Brock
04-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Leatherface is a fictional character.

ROFL

ROYC75
04-28-2005, 02:19 PM
Scared ? No, you guys were a bunch of pussy's when you were young.

I seldom seen a scary movie that made jump.

CosmicPal
04-28-2005, 02:24 PM

That's because you didn't understand them.

Bob Dole
04-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Scared ? No, you guys were a bunch of pussy's when you were young.

That's because you are larger and uglier than the damned monsters in the movies.

Saulbadguy
04-28-2005, 02:26 PM

My favorite part was when the monster breaks through the door..."SNAP IN TO A SLIM JIM!"

siberian khatru
04-28-2005, 02:31 PM

Not as close as I would have liked. :)

About 20 yards. Within the bounds of the restraining order.

Baby Lee
04-28-2005, 04:59 PM
99% sure I'm repeating someone else on the thread. But LoBC was 'MST3Kized.'

Funny episode.

EDIT: Guess it was Boggy Creek II, the Legend Continues..

Donger
04-28-2005, 05:01 PM
Dracula from Monster Squad! scared the crap out of me.

Bob Dole
04-28-2005, 05:38 PM
99% sure I'm repeating someone else on the thread. But LoBC was 'MST3Kized.'

Funny episode.

EDIT: Guess it was Boggy Creek II, the Legend Continues..

They may have done the original, too. Bob Dole has definitely seen the one with Charles B. and his son, though...

siberian khatru
04-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Dracula from Monster Squad! scared the crap out of me.

Fred Grandy was scary enough.

Nzoner
04-28-2005, 06:02 PM
As a kid of the 70's the LOBC is one that got by me,I'm assuming the parents didn't take me and lil bro to the drive-in when it came through but man do I remember a few others that having seen again later had to be in the top 10 of cheese,The Incredible Two Headed Transplant, And Now The Screaming Starts and The Giant Spider Invasion.

badgirl
04-28-2005, 07:13 PM

Two questions:

1) Anybody else seen it?

I'd say #2 b, if it was a 70's movie it probably would be corney now, I'd find something else to spend my money on, try and rent the movie and watch it then you'll know without blowing your money and regretting it.

Pants
04-28-2005, 07:24 PM
Exact same thing with me an the Shining. Also, the series Twin Peaks f*cked me up for a LONG time (saw it as kid, around 2nd grade).

plbrdude
04-28-2005, 08:35 PM

Two questions:

1) Anybody else seen it?

i remember seeing it. i was terrified for years. not sure i'm over it now.
would've been over it but when i's a teenager out shootin frogs near the river i saw some seriously large foot prints.that scared me.