PDA

View Full Version : Latest Wife's Update : She is a tough ole bird, err cat.

ROYC75
04-28-2005, 09:46 PM
OK, this is an update for the many friends we have made here on Chiefs Planet and thru the foundation.

Yep, she is a KY Wildcat, and a tough one. She went in for a new set of tests and x-rays. The doctor asked her how she felt after the test, smiled and said he was in disbelief.

What turned out to be a target of around 18 months to 2 years for the progression to spread and take her life, she has not only passed that and the disease is still dormant.

This, after having pnemonia twice and a 2 bad spells with chest colds along with still smoking. He was really suprised by all of this,as much as I am.

She is still currently fighting off the last bout of ( 1 1/2 months ago )pnemonia. He told us that where normal people will recover quicker from it, it takes 3 times as long for paitents like her.

All I can say is Thank the Lord, I mean, it's not her time yet. Here it is 28 months now and counting.

Some more good news to report. When first diagnosed with this stuff, there was an experitmental drug that was getting good reviews but still in the early trial stages of it. They are doing a 3rd wave of this testing and she has passed the first stages of getting on the experiment ( if she chooses to do so ).

When news of this medicene first came out, it was 2 - 3 K's per month to buy. Our pharmacist was going to get it for us at cost price at one time, but even then it was too much for me to handle.

Part of the testing is to compair smokers and non smokers. Not sure if this will prolong her life, it does show favorable signs in most paitents. The average life span was 18 - 36 months without the medicene. Now with it, it is up to 36 - 60 months.

Although we are in a finacial rut with medical bills, this is some good news and we are blessed with the results so far. At the same time, like she tells me, "I feel like I'm on death row with a death sentence over me".

Again to our many friends, thanks for your thoughts, prayers and the donations.

Roy,Carrie and family.

Phobia
04-28-2005, 09:47 PM
Hang in there, Carrie.

BIG_DADDY
04-28-2005, 09:50 PM
God bless you and your family Roy, thanks for the update.

C-Mac
04-28-2005, 10:13 PM
Wow, thats great to hear and hard to bear.
Just let Carrie know that every one of us are on death row, so she just needs to keep appealing that death sentence and you never know what might happen.

badgirl
04-28-2005, 10:14 PM
Roy I'm glad shes doing good.

Now about the medicine, my brother-in-law has Hep.C, my sister found out about these shots Hep patients were taking 2 times a week, but they were 1,700. buck a week. She dug on the net and found out that she could get them through the company that makes the drug, she went through some red tape, but they got approved and they shipped the shots weekly to the pharmacy in a cooler. She just went and picked them up, after 1 year of taking the shot, even though he had terrible headaches during the time he was taking them,they did cure the Hep. or put it in remission, his liver count is normal now. Why don't you talk to her Dr. and see if there is anything like this out there that may help your wife get the medicine she needs.

Thought I'd toss the idea out there. Best Wishes, God Bless your family.

ROYC75
04-28-2005, 10:18 PM
Roy I'm glad shes doing good.

Now about the medicine, my brother-in-law has Hep.C, my sister found out about these shots Hep patients were taking 2 times a week, but they were 1,700. buck a week. She dug on the net and found out that she could get them through the company that makes the drug, she went through some red tape, but they got approved and they shipped the shots weekly to the pharmacy in a cooler. She just went and picked them up, after 1 year of taking the shot, even though he had terrible headaches during the time he was taking them,they did cure the Hep. or put it in remission, his liver count is normal now. Why don't you talk to her Dr. and see if there is anything like this out there that may help your wife get the medicine she needs.

Thought I'd toss the idea out there. Best Wishes, God Bless your family.

We tried it, the drug company wasn't giving any of it out at that time, but only on the trial patients.

If she gets approved on this next wave, she will get the medications free until the day she dies.

They sent the application into the clinic @ Vanderbuilt yesterday after the checkup, we are awiting for some news from there.

badgirl
04-28-2005, 10:19 PM
We tried it, the drug company wasn't giving any of it out at that time, but only on the trial patients.

If she gets approved on this next wave, she will get the medications free until the day she dies.

They sent the application into the clinic @ Vanderbuilt yesterday after the checkup, we are awiting for some news from there.
:clap: Thats great. Good Luck :thumb:

big nasty kcnut
04-28-2005, 10:20 PM
God bless carrie and keep the faith roy

Fairplay
04-28-2005, 10:22 PM
I truely hope the best in the situation. Hang in there and positve thoughts for your family Roy.

Pezman
04-28-2005, 10:24 PM
Roy, god bless you and your family. I am very happy to hear that she is strong in mind and in spirit. Hugs all around.

Manila-Chief
04-28-2005, 10:25 PM
I confirm what CMAC said ... none of us know when we will go ... we all have to be ready at any moment. You often hear about ... what we think are .... healthy people keeling over.

So, Carrie celebrate each day and live it to the fullest. Roy, join in with her coz you never know when it will be your time to meet God ... Also, we don't know what God is going to do in her life. He is still in the miracle working business!!! Keep praying and trusting Him!!!!

Uncle Fester
04-28-2005, 10:25 PM
I honestly don't know how to respond other than to say that we offer our love and prayers and support to your dear wife! I truly wish that there was a cure for such ailments! You and your wife will be in our thoughts and prayers! :(

Bwana
04-28-2005, 10:30 PM
Best of luck to her and your family Roy.

The Bad Guy
04-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Best of luck to her, I'm glad things are looking better.

SoCalBronco
04-28-2005, 11:16 PM
excellent news ROY. Wow she is a fighter. I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

Skip Towne
04-28-2005, 11:16 PM
Great news, Roy. Hang in there. I thought you were the tough old bird. Well, I guess I knew better. You were that kid I stole his lunch money every day. Damn, I'm old. On the bright side, I'll be 60 shortly and I'll bet at least 20 % of the guys on here don't make it to 60. My class reunions get smaller and smaller. Only slightly more than half of us left. Scary.

go bowe
04-28-2005, 11:28 PM
Great news, Roy. Hang in there. I thought you were the tough old bird. Well, I guess I knew better. You were that kid I stole his lunch money every day. Damn, I'm old. On the bright side, I'll be 60 shortly and I'll bet at least 20 % of the guys on here don't make it to 60. My class reunions get smaller and smaller. Only slightly more than half of us left. Scary.damn, i hope i make it to sixty...

25%?

that's rough...

of course i only have three years to go... :) :) :)

go bowe
04-28-2005, 11:29 PM
best wishes for your wife, roy...

i'm glad things are looking up for you... :toast:

CrazyHorse
04-29-2005, 05:45 AM
Kicking and screaming, huh?

That's how to do it.

Keep it up girl.

bkkcoh
04-29-2005, 06:28 AM
Good to hear the good news. Hope everything continues on the path it is on..

bkkcoh
04-29-2005, 06:30 AM
excellent news ROY. Wow she is a fighter. I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

Being with Roy that long, would you expect anything else!!!!! :p :banghead: :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
04-29-2005, 06:35 AM
Good news Roy. We'll pray it continues. Hang in there. :thumb:

shakesthecat
04-29-2005, 06:45 AM
Glad to hear the great news, Roy!

Coach
04-29-2005, 07:22 AM
Glad to hear that it's getting better. Just stay positive! :)

headsnap
04-29-2005, 07:30 AM
Claire... er, Laura and I are glad to hear the good news. :clap:

ROYC75
04-29-2005, 07:50 AM
Claire... er, Laura and I are glad to hear the good news. :clap:

ROFL I'll never forget that day, I wasn't aware she felt bad at all. She never let me, us know it that day until after you all left that day.

BTW, how ya been, haven't sen you on here much lately.