PDA

View Full Version : So The NFL Network Is Doggin Johnson

philfree
04-29-2005, 12:13 AM
Like some of the others. The same BS that he can't take on the blocks...blah..blah..blah. He's so quick and fast that most blockers can't get to him. What's he supposed to do tackle the blocker 1st and then tackle the RB to prove himself. What a bunch of Dumb Fugs. Who was the last two time All American LB, Butkus Award winning LB and...damn what's the other guys name who has an award? The best LB to come down the pike in a long time and he's being dissed :shake: He's gonna make'm all eat turf ROFL I've never used this phrase before, but what a bunch of "FugTards"..........Gawwd!

PhilFree:arrow:

ChiefsCountry
04-29-2005, 12:19 AM
Remember this Ray Lewis lasted till like the 20 something pick too and he proved alot people wrong hopefully DJ does too.

Dunit35
04-29-2005, 12:24 AM
Noone knows nothin untill he steps on that field...

beer bacon
04-29-2005, 12:28 AM
I hardly ever watch any of this crap so can someone answer this question for me. When they are talking about him not being able to take on blocks do they show video as examples? All the video I have seen him either has him fighting through blocks to make lots of tackles or shooting gaps perfectly with his football sense/speed to slam into the ball carrier at full speed.

I could understand the bad tackling complaint, because sometimes it looks like he goes for the big hit instead of wrapping up, but I haven't seen any video of him getting manhandled by a blocker or anything. On the contrary I have seen videos of him fighting off blocks to make tackles. Of course I know the videos I have seen are just limited glimpses. That is why I am wondering if they are showing video examples when they dog him.

I would also like to point out that if New England or another one of the darlings of the NFL had some how managed to nab DJ the collective sports media would be in a line 10 miles long to suck him off.

melbar
04-29-2005, 12:29 AM
Does Ray Lewis Run strait to the first big lineman he sees and start to tango? NO , you blow past them and nail the ball carrier.

philfree
04-29-2005, 12:34 AM
Remember this Ray Lewis lasted till like the 20 something pick too and he proved alot people wrong hopefully DJ does too.

He will but it still chaps my ass when the Chiefs and their players get over looked by the idiots. It's an odd year and we're coming so they should STFU and get out of the way or they'll get run down with the rest of those who get in our way. I can't believe that after 15 years of Carl they don't have the odd yer thing figured out. What a bunch of blind MoFos ROFL Their in depth analysis consists of looking back to week 14 of the previous season........Should I go On? Well hell yes I should! The Vikes are so much better without Moss and the Raiders are so much better with Moss and the Donks are so it because they drafted a quitter who nobody else would have even signed to a UDFA contract. And those teams going 3-4 are so loaded up with the tweeners that they can't miss ROFL .............GAwwd!

beer bacon
04-29-2005, 12:36 AM
Does Ray Lewis Run strait to the first big lineman he sees and start to tango? NO , you blow past them and nail the ball carrier.

Ray Lewis gets his ass handed to him by Brian Waters and then cries about it on camera.

philfree
04-29-2005, 12:39 AM
I hardly ever watch any of this crap so can someone answer this question for me. When they are talking about him not being able to take on blocks do they show video as examples? All the video I have seen him either has him fighting through blocks to make lots of tackles or shooting gaps perfectly with his football sense/speed to slam into the ball carrier at full speed.

I could understand the bad tackling complaint, because sometimes it looks like he goes for the big hit instead of wrapping up, but I haven't seen any video of him getting manhandled by a blocker or anything. On the contrary I have seen videos of him fighting off blocks to make tackles. Of course I know the videos I have seen are just limited glimpses. That is why I am wondering if they are showing video examples when they dog him.

I would also like to point out that if New England or another one of the darlings of the NFL had some how managed to nab DJ the collective sports media would be in a line 10 miles long to suck him off.

Oh hell they'll show one clip of DJ getting blocked and say "look he got blocked!" Never mind his hundreds of tackles and many turnovers he's responsible for "he got blocked!" FugTards!

Rausch
04-29-2005, 12:44 AM
I have to admit, I'm starting to stale on the NFL network. I hope Rich gets struck by lightning...

AZORChiefFan
04-29-2005, 12:51 AM
So I guess since the national media has shown me he gets blocked then that's what I believe. After all ESPN, NFL Network and so on being media outlets wouldn't be biased would they. >>Cough - Cough<<

Say the Chiefs are 5-5 the 'journalist' will say 'well they're a long shot to make it to the playoffs' tho if it were say the cowboys and they were 2-8 they'd say "Well if the 'boys can sweep the rest of the season they finish 8 - 8 and have a great chance at making the playoffs"

Not at all bitter about the national media.

philfree
04-29-2005, 12:54 AM
I have to admit, I'm starting to stale on the NFL network. I hope Rich gets struck by lightning...

They're just like all the other sports news outlets in that they have their bias and they ain't ashamed to show it. That's alright though cause the Chiefs are comin on strong in 2005 and by the time they jump on the wagon we'll be front runners.

PhilFre:arrow:

Wallcrawler
04-29-2005, 12:55 AM
Mike Mayock is teh ghey.

I cant stand listening to Mayock going on and on and on about how Johnson doesnt take on blockers and wont be a good linebacker in the NFL. What is worse, he shows ONE highlight over and over and over of a 207 pound back getting a good shot on Derrick Johnson on a running play and knocking him off balance, and pegs him as "unable to play at the point of attack" because of that one play.

If he were showing multiple highlights of that happening, against different players in different situations I might think more of his view. But since he started this shit, its been that ONE highlight over and over. The rest of the highlight reel is Johnson knocking 7 shades of shit out of any ball carrier he gets close to.

Ive seen great defenders get punked by some of the shittiest wide receivers on the field. That doesnt mean that the defender cant play, it just means he had one bad play in particular.

You dont get the type of career Johnson had at Texas and win all those awards if you have a huge flaw in your game like that. Many people have the view that Derrick Johnson was the best linebacker in the draft, even possibly the best defensive player in the draft. Mayock is taking this one highlight and trying to verbally ruin Johnson before he ever plays a down in the NFL.

Could he get better at shedding blocks? Yeah. Show me a linebacker who couldnt get better at that, especially a rookie. But I refuse to believe that this one thing that Mayock and guys just like him nitpick to death is going to keep him from becoming an impact player in this league.

DJ had the best combine numbers for a linebacker in a long time, according to those who were covering it on NFL Network, and oddly enough, Mayock himself was there at the combine, giving DJ props on his drills. WTF is that about? He excelled at every single drill, showing very little weakness in anything. They said he was a complete player, capable of doing anything that a defensive coordinator could ask of him. Now Mayock is on this kick that Johnson cant play at the point of attack.

This is a guy that was expected to go top 10, with detroit being the best bet to select him. And had they taken him instead of the Chiefs, we would probably be hearing all sorts of Johnson praise.

But since he slid to the Chiefs at 15, I guess that makes it open season to take a giant shit on him if youre a douchebag like Mike Mayock.

I would suggest to Mike Mayock to set the crack pipe down, and slowly back away. When you have speed like what Derrick Johnson has, and the ability to use that speed to the best of your ability (Bronco Nagurski award, Dick Butkus Award, enter next award name here....etc...), YOU DONT HAVE TO F AROUND WITH THE BLOCKERS. There are several big name linebackers whose effectiveness are drasticly reduced should an NFL caliber offensive lineman get a block on him. (See Ray Lewis, Monday nighter vs KC, or Brian Urlacher) These guys have to be protected somewhat from the blockers to be effective, but there's no knock on these guys for that.

There was a lot of negative shit being spewed at Derrick Thomas too when he was drafted, and look how he turned out. He will be in the Hall of Fame soon, and should have been there already had it not been for the ineptness of Bob Gretz.

Johnson is a linebacker who can do anything that is asked of him. Run support, pass rush, coverage, and has a knack for forcing fumbles. Who wouldnt want a guy like this on their team?

Spicy McHaggis
04-29-2005, 12:55 AM
People said the same crap about Vilma who I was drooling over last year. "Too easy to block, doesn't shed, lacks ideal size." We know how bad all that held Vilma back in his rookie campaign.

Oregon chief
04-29-2005, 01:15 AM
i wonder what they all said about jarred allen last year before they saw him play

Oregon chief
04-29-2005, 01:15 AM
media can not judge talent worth a crap.

wildcat09
04-29-2005, 01:25 AM
F the media. Football is played on the field and not in some studio.

yoswif
04-29-2005, 05:32 AM
They showed footage of Braylon Edwards dropping a pass. They showed footage of a 200 lb blocking back planting his helmet in DJ's chest and DJ falling down as a result. I think they were trying to point out that both players need to do a better job of maintaining focus.

CrazyHorse
04-29-2005, 05:37 AM
Like some of the others. The same BS that he can't take on the blocks...blah..blah..blah. He's so quick and fast that most blockers can't get to him. What's he supposed to do tackle the blocker 1st and then tackle the RB to prove himself. What a bunch of Dumb Fugs. Who was the last two time All American LB, Butkus Award winning LB and...damn what's the other guys name who has an award? The best LB to come down the pike in a long time and he's being dissed :shake: He's gonna make'm all eat turf ROFL I've never used this phrase before, but what a bunch of "FugTards"..........Gawwd!

It's almost as ridiculous as when some folks said Donnie Edwards was no good. The guy only lead the team in tackles every year and lead the LBers in INTs every year. While he did miss a tackle now and then he was the best we had. Meanwhile, everyone sucked Maz' cock. Though dissing the best LB coming out in the draft could be considered stupid, it's not that stupid.

bloomer88
04-29-2005, 08:28 AM
DJ had the best combine numbers for a linebacker in a long time, according to those who were covering it on NFL Network, and oddly enough, Mayock himself was there at the combine, giving DJ props on his drills. WTF is that about? He excelled at every single drill, showing very little weakness in anything. They said he was a complete player, capable of doing anything that a defensive coordinator could ask of him. Now Mayock is on this kick that Johnson cant play at the point of attack.

That's what cracks me up about this whole thing. You didn't hear a word about Johnson's weaknesses during the combine. Everybody was slobbering all over him, projecting him to be a top 5 pick. It wasn't until about a week or two before the draft that one or two people made a comment about him not being able to take on blockers, and then everyone started to jump in.

Another thing, I heard someone comparing DJ to Urlacher. If I remember right it was one of the ESPN guys during the draft, right after we selected him, but it could have been later, I'm not sure. Anyways, they made the statement that DJ wouldn't be a franchise player, but if a teams looking for a Brian Urlacher type, DJ could fit that mold. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what NFL team would turn down a Brian Urlacher? The way they criticize him, you would think he was picked #1 overall.

Chiefnj
04-29-2005, 08:32 AM
The same group of experts who had him going in the top 10, possibly even to Cleveland now say he sucks? Is this the same group who had Browner as a 2nd round draft picks a few weeks ago? Blackstock as a late 1st round pick on draft day? Shazor as a 2nd-3rd round pick? The same guys who said Trotter was definately a Chief?

Otter
04-29-2005, 08:43 AM

I'm kinda glad I don't get it because I know I'd watch it too. Even reading the River Falls stuff is a little too much at times.

The break from the season is nice, even somthing along the lines of a good steak and bottle of red wine can get old if taken in too much.

kc rush
04-29-2005, 08:46 AM
The simple solution here is for DJ to come up with an epileptic dance and talk about being intense. The media will drool all over themselves then to talk about how great he is.

AirForceChief
04-29-2005, 09:04 AM
I'm kinda glad I don't get it because I know I'd watch it too. Even reading the River Falls stuff is a little too much at times.

The break from the season is nice, even somthing along the lines of a good steak and bottle of red wine can get old if taken in too much.

GAAAA! Blasphemer! BLASHPHEMER!!

yoswif
04-29-2005, 09:10 AM
I think a lot of former players have pointed out that DJ will have to play differently in the NFL than he did in college. Because the rules in the NFL make pressure on the QB critical, a lot of them think he'll be asked to use his tremendous talent to break down the blocking scheme and be extremely disruptive at the snap rather than seeing the play and chasing it down as he did in college. This will present more of a physical challenge than running around and making plays. With the Chiefs best attacking players being very disruptive at the snap, lesser defenders like Mitchell and Warfield will be more effective, imo.

KCTitus
04-29-2005, 09:15 AM
The NFL Network aside from its coverage of the combine, is probably the most pitiful channel in sports. INCESSANT re-runs of the same 'highlight' show over and over and over and over. If it's not their version of sportscenter being re-run for the 12th time, they playing a Dallas or Pittsburgh SB championship from the 80's.

It's very easy to tire of the same thing.

I did appreciate the combine coverage, but there was just too much talking over what was going on.

The NFL could do a lot better with its channel. I guess part of it suffers from the fact that they have more offseason than they do 'on season'.

Kyle401
04-29-2005, 09:32 AM
The reason that the "experts" are dogging Johnson is that most of them had him pegged to go high early in the draft coverage (before and just after the combine). They over-inflated his value to NFL teams, projecting him in the 3-10 range. When they found out that he was unlikely to go that high, they had to scramble to wipe the egg off their faces. So they found a minor weakness to harp on. Still most projected him at the #10 selection to Detroit. After he fell 5 slots lower to us at #15, they had to further expound on his flaws to save face.

Suppose Johnson ends up with 100+ tackles, 2 FF, 1 int, and the DROY award this year. The same journalists, who are explaining how his inability to take on blocks lead teams to pass on him early in the draft, will be saying that he should have gone 3rd overall.

ESPN.com
Fact or Fiction Pac-Man Jones was the best defender in the draft.

Todd McShay

Fiction: Pac-Man Jones is an elite corner with tremendous speed, but he might not even be the best cornerback in the draft. Antrel Rolle's size, toughness and ability to provide run support elevates the Miami product to the same level with Jones. But both cornerbacks trail Derrick Johnson in the best defender category. Despite slipping down to Kansas City at No. 15, the Texas linebacker is the best overall defender in the draft. Johnson is active, has sideline-to-sideline range and can blitz the quarterback or drop into coverage. Teams drafting to fill specific needs is the reason for his draft-day slip. Look for Johnson to have the biggest impact of the Class of 2005 defenders.

Chiefnj
04-29-2005, 09:39 AM
They are criticising him for not doing something he wasn't asked to do. Who knows how he'll do shedding blockers? He wasn't asked to do it in college because he was able to hit seems and get around the blockers. His ability to get off blocks isn't a weakness, it's an unknown.

Chief Henry
04-29-2005, 09:39 AM

I've stopped watcing that channel along time ago. I will still dip into it
every now and then, but I don't give them much of my TV time. Who
wants to watch a fricken Bronco anyway. The channells programming needs some help.

BIG_DADDY
04-29-2005, 09:46 AM
In the one example they they show film of he trips over the blocker and they all go "here he is being taken out by a smaller guy" yea OK.

Saulbadguy
04-29-2005, 09:48 AM
He does get overpowered by bigger blockers. He does NOT tackle very well. If he improves at both of these things, he will be an awesome force at LB.

Kyle401
04-29-2005, 09:53 AM
He does get overpowered by bigger blockers. He does NOT tackle very well. If he improves at both of these things, he will be an awesome force at LB.

I would say he tackles OK. Going low and taking out legs may not be flashy, but it brings people down. I wonder how many MCL injuries he caused in college?

Saulbadguy
04-29-2005, 09:55 AM
I would say he tackles OK. Going low and taking out legs may not be flashy, but it brings people down. I wonder how many MCL injuries he caused in college?
It brings down college running backs. He won't be able to get away with that vs NFL backs.

Chiefnj
04-29-2005, 09:57 AM
He does get overpowered by bigger blockers.

Proof??

Rain Man
04-29-2005, 09:59 AM
I hate it when these people criticize him before he ever even steps onto the field. They have no proof at all, and besides, it's obvious that he's going to be a multi-year all-pro.

Kyle401
04-29-2005, 10:00 AM
It brings down college running backs. He won't be able to get away with that vs NFL backs.

I haven't seen too many NFL backs who don't go down if a LB gets them by the knees. Textbook tackling form is to hit at the mid to upper thigh, wrap, lift, and twist. Going high (chest level) leads to bouncing off.

Lbedrock1
04-29-2005, 10:01 AM

Dont be upset about it. You have to understand that no one like the chiefs (outside of the midwest) until they start beating down the other teams. Thats when you find everyone loves the chiefs. Have you notice the NFC love fest on the nfl network? Why havent they had a Game of the week with the chiefs? Dont worry when we start winning watch the bandwagon get full.

jspchief
04-29-2005, 10:15 AM
They are criticising him for not doing something he wasn't asked to do. Who knows how he'll do shedding blockers? He wasn't asked to do it in college because he was able to hit seems and get around the blockers. His ability to get off blocks isn't a weakness, it's an unknown.
That's exactly how I feel, in terms of how he handles blocks. The criticism should only be that he hasn't had to do it much because he could rely on his athletic superiority in college. It's an unknown, and a reason for at least some concern.

To me, the more legit driticism is his poor tackling fundamentals. If he thinks that diving at knees without wrapping up is going to cut it in the NFL, he's going to have a rude awakening, and there's going to be a lot of Chiefs fans cussing him. I'm not saying he isn't capable of doing it right, but he's certainly shown a tendency to do it wrong.

Frosty
04-29-2005, 10:18 AM
To me, the more legit driticism is his poor tackling fundamentals.

Well, he did play under Greg Robinson.

Wallcrawler
04-29-2005, 03:36 PM
If anyone can mold this guy into a monster linebacker, its Gunther Cunningham.

From what Ive seen on DJ, he appears open to being coached and wants to do everything he can to get better. He knows he isnt an upper echelon college linebacker anymore, he's now a rookie NFL linebacker, and he has to work to get to that next level and be a pro bowler.

Tackling form is at least something that can be coached, and improved. It isnt one of those things that is going to ruin him because its something you cant coach.

I cant wait to see what he can do in the NFL.

Saulbadguy
04-29-2005, 04:29 PM
Proof??
Watching Texas play for the past few years.

yoswif
04-29-2005, 04:37 PM
Didn't most of these same "experts" pick the Chiefs for the Super Bowl last year?

stevieray
04-29-2005, 08:06 PM
I hate it when these people criticize him before he ever even steps onto the field. They have no proof at all, and besides, it's obvious that he's going to be a multi-year all-pro.

The criticism started when we drafted him. He was the best LB in the draft before the Chiefs aquired him.

I honestly think the NFL is holding a forty year grudge against Lamar.

stevieray
04-29-2005, 08:07 PM

:rolleyes:

Thig Lyfe
04-29-2005, 08:10 PM
So... where's Merrill Hoge?

Bowser
04-29-2005, 08:16 PM
Bah. Had the Giants or Jets drafted DJ, these same talking head dipshits would be swooning over him like he was the next Mike Singletary.