PDA

View Full Version : PH34R B1TCHCH3CK3R! World's Least Dangerous Hacker

Braincase
04-29-2005, 11:03 AM
The dude got slashdotted... (http://www.totalillusions.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=328&st=0)

I see 'em all the time, some kid thinks he knows how to hack, then starts swinging his newly acquired prostetic manhood around like Barry Bonds swingin' lumber after a trip to Balco.

This guy is uproarious, and for those of you unfamiliar with IP addressing, 127.0.0.1 is a person's local loopback address - it's your own system.

carlos3652
04-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Wow... what an idiot...

Hydrae
04-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Almost have to admire his persistence. :LOL:

Ultra Peanut
04-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Amusing.

wutamess
04-29-2005, 11:35 AM
Post of the day by far!

BigRedChief
04-29-2005, 11:39 AM
No way that happened. Thats some folklore thing.

BTW for all you techies I have a simple scenerio that seems to trip up about 50% of the paper MCSE's that want jobs. Troublshooting a pc and the IPCONFIG returns 169.25.34.255 what do you do. This is basic. How did they get an MCSE and not know this?

Dartgod
04-29-2005, 11:42 AM

BTW for all you techies I have a simple scenerio that seems to trip up about 50% of the paper MCSE's that want jobs. Troublshooting a pc and the IPCONFIG returns 169.25.34.255 what do you do. This is basic. How did they get an MCSE and not know this?
169.x.x.x is an autoconfig IP address that is assigned when a DHCP server cannot be reached.

I think...

Simplex3
04-29-2005, 11:49 AM
169.x.x.x is an autoconfig IP address that is assigned when a DHCP server cannot be reached.

I think...
Give that man his MCSE.

BigRedChief
04-29-2005, 12:26 PM
Give that man his MCSE.

Yep about 50% of the MCSE's don't get it. A gold star for DartGod :clap:

BigRedChief
04-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Yep about 50% of the MCSE's don't get it. A gold star for DartGod :clap:
Now if you want the platinum star....Whats going on? Why is it auto IPing?

ENDelt260
04-29-2005, 12:40 PM
dude be happy my pc crashed otherwise you'd be gone

ROFL

ZootedGranny
04-29-2005, 12:41 PM

Yeah, I've read about 15 different variations of this story over the past several years.

ENDelt260
04-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Troublshooting a pc and the IPCONFIG returns 169.25.34.255 what do you do.

I usually say, "Goddammit!" and try to figure out why I didn't get an IP from the DHCP server.

Braincase
04-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Now if you want the platinum star....Whats going on? Why is it auto IPing?

It's called Automatic IP Addressing, or APIPA. A system is set to acquire an IP address via DHCP (modified BOOTP protocol), but there is either a)no DHCP server available on the network, b) there is a DHCP server available on the network, but the router doesn't allow DHCP Discover broadcasts to pass through (RFC 1534 IIRC) or c) it could be everything is configured right, and maybe the DHCP server is out of addresses in it's scope. I guess a local DHCP Relay Agent could be misconfigured as well.

Are you hirin'?

BigRedChief
04-29-2005, 01:17 PM
I usually say, "Goddammit!" and try to figure out why I didn't get an IP from the DHCP server.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! :clap:

BigRedChief
04-29-2005, 01:19 PM
It's called Automatic IP Addressing, or APIPA. A system is set to acquire an IP address via DHCP (modified BOOTP protocol), but there is either a)no DHCP server available on the network, b) there is a DHCP server available on the network, but the router doesn't allow DHCP Discover broadcasts to pass through (RFC 1534 IIRC) or c) it could be everything is configured right, and maybe the DHCP server is out of addresses in it's scope. I guess a local DHCP Relay Agent could be misconfigured as well.

Are you hirin'?

They just filled opening in El Paso and Colorado Springs. I work for the government. You have to give up your privacy and explain all of your past actions in your life and any future ones to work in this branch of the beauracy. Still interested?

Braincase
04-29-2005, 01:30 PM
They just filled opening in El Paso and Colorado Springs. I work for the government. You have to give up your privacy and explain all of your past actions in your life and any future ones to work in this branch of the beauracy. Still interested?

I've donw plenty of contract work for the government... training the military (Exchange).

We're pretty comfortable in Larryville, and if my wife gets tenure, I doubt we'll ever move.

jcroft
04-29-2005, 02:13 PM
The funniest thing about this story, and other like it, is that the media actually calls these kiddies "hackers." Obviously this guy just downloaded some script somehow where with a point-and-shoot interface where you just plug in the IP and it goes to work on the system. That's not hacking. That's typing an IP address into a script. Lame.

It's like when the media reported that Paris Hilton's Sidekick was "hacked." First, it wasn't her Sidekick at all -- it was T-Mobile's servers that stored backups of her photos and other data. And second, the way the perps got in was by guessing her password -- which was the name of her dog. Sorry, but guessing the password when it was basically handed to you on a silver platter is not "hacking."

If someone gave me the keys to a bank vault, and I went in and took some money, would you say I "broke into the bank and robbed it?"

The media sucks.

BigRedChief
04-30-2005, 12:04 AM
The media sucks.

Who's gonna disagree with that?

Count Alex's Losses
04-30-2005, 12:05 AM
Who's gonna disagree with that?

I will disagree. Not all media sucks.

BigRedChief
04-30-2005, 12:37 AM
I will disagree. Not all media sucks.

I was being sarcastic and not asking a real question.

Braincase
04-30-2005, 06:53 AM
The funniest thing about this story, and other like it, is that the media actually calls these kiddies "hackers." Obviously this guy just downloaded some script somehow where with a point-and-shoot interface where you just plug in the IP and it goes to work on the system. That's not hacking. That's typing an IP address into a script. Lame.

It's like when the media reported that Paris Hilton's Sidekick was "hacked." First, it wasn't her Sidekick at all -- it was T-Mobile's servers that stored backups of her photos and other data. And second, the way the perps got in was by guessing her password -- which was the name of her dog. Sorry, but guessing the password when it was basically handed to you on a silver platter is not "hacking."

If someone gave me the keys to a bank vault, and I went in and took some money, would you say I "broke into the bank and robbed it?"

The media sucks.

A real hacker knows the difference between a hacker and a "script kiddie".

Over-Head
04-30-2005, 07:25 AM
The Hackers Manifesto
http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/banks/14/3/hacker.html

Hacker Hype
by Jeff Thompson
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With the release of HACKERS, the dark side of the Internet has been thrust into the limelight once more. As many of you may have noticed, the media has recently taken a keen interest in hackers. Several arrests have made national newspapers and magazines. Unfortunately, it seems that very little of the story is actually told.
The actors in this drama are often dehumanized and made out to be people of pure malice. These are often people who are completely misunderstood, or even worse, misrepresented by the media. I have met several people who the media would consider hackers. Some of these people do fit the stereotype that is portrayed by the media, but the fact is that most of these people do not. They are simply people who are striving for knowledge in a society that does not promote the free access of information. These are the people who were never allowed to follow their curiosity. They were told to follow the paths and the curriculum that was laid in front of them, because people older and wiser than them had formed them. Many people were stunted and lost their drive for knowledge, others broke free. These people are not at all a bunch of hoodlums living in run-down basements trying to destroy networks.

Hackers are everywhere, from every walk of life, every type of lifestyle. Being a hacker has nothing to do with race, religion, or sex. It has but one criterion. A burning desire to aquire knowledge: to know whatever it is that you do not know. It is a quest that can never end, and I believe it is the noblest. It is an unwritten rule that one does not just call him or herself a hacker. The rule says that it is a title that is bestowed on you. The fact is that being a hacker is something that you are born as. It is neither earned nor bestowed. It has nothing to do with power or control. It is simply a way of being. Are you a hacker?

The following is the hackers' creed that was referred to in the movie HACKERS. Read the creed and judge for yourself. It is a description of what many have experienced time and time again - the quest for knowledge crushed. But for many it cannot be driven out, for you see, knowledge yearns to be free.

The following was written shortly after my arrest...
\/\The Conscience of a Hacker/\/
by, +++The Mentor+++
Written on January 8, 1986
Another one got caught today, it's all over the papers. "Teenager Arrested in Computer Crime Scandal", "Hacker Arrested after Bank Tampering"...

Damn kids. They're all alike.

But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain, ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker? Did you ever wonder what made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?

I am a hacker, enter my world...

Mine is a world that begins with school... I'm smarter than most of the other kids, this crap they teach us bores me...

Damn underachiever. They're all alike.

I'm in junior high or high school. I've listened to teachers explain for the fifteenth time how to reduce a fraction. I understand it. "No, Ms. Smith, I didn't show my work. I did it in my head..."

Damn kid. Probably copied it. They're all alike.

I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me...

Or feels threatened by me...

Or thinks I'm a smart ass...

Or doesn't like teaching and shouldn't be here...

Damn kid. All he does is play games. They're all alike.

And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict's veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found.

"This is it... this is where I belong..."

I know everyone here... even if I've never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...

Damn kid. Tying up the phone line again. They're all alike...

You bet your ass we're all alike... we've been spoon-fed baby food at school when we hungered for steak... the bits of meat that you did let slip through were pre-chewed and tasteless. We've been dominated by sadists, or ignored by the apathetic. The few that had something to teach found us willing pupils, but those few are like drops of water in the desert.

This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the beauty of the baud. We make use of a service already existing without paying for what could be dirt-cheap if it wasn't run by profiteering gluttons, and you call us criminals. We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge... and you call us criminals. We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us criminals. You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.

I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop this individual, but you can't stop us all... after all, we're all alike.

+++The Mentor+++

Count Alex's Losses
04-30-2005, 08:17 AM
Viv3 l3 l33t h2x0rz!!!!!