PDA

View Full Version : Troubles in birdland?

BIG_DADDY
04-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Owens Skips Minicamp

Apr 29, 11:43 AM (ET) Email this Story

By ROB MAADDI
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - T.O. is a no-show.

All-Pro wide receiver Terrell Owens skipped the Philadelphia Eagles' first minicamp practice on Friday, presumably because he wants a new contract.

Owens said several times this month he wants to renegotiate the seven-year deal he signed last March. The Eagles have refused to redo the contract worth nearly $49 million.

The flamboyant Owens helped the Eagles reach the Super Bowl in his first season in Philadelphia after eight years with the San Francisco 49ers. Owens set team records with 14 touchdown receptions and seven 100-yard games, and finished with 77 catches for 1,200 yards.

Owens broke his leg and severely sprained his right ankle in Week 15 against Dallas, an injury that sidelined him until the Super Bowl. He had nine catches for 122 yards in Philadelphia's 24-21 loss to the Patriots.

Pro Bowl running back Brian Westbrook, defensive tackle Corey Simon and wideout Freddie Mitchell also weren't at camp.

Westbrook has until June 15 to sign a one-year, $1.43 million tender. He's seeking a long-term deal, but discussions haven't been promising. Simon was offered a one-year franchise tender worth about $5.13 million, but he also wants a long-term contract.

Mitchell, a former first-round pick, has likely talked his way out of town by constantly griping about his role in the offense.

Westbrook had a breakout season for the Eagles, scoring nine touchdowns and leading the team with 1,515 total yards. Westbrook rushed for 812 yards on 177 carries and led all NFL running backs in receptions with 73 for 703 yards last season.

Simon, who went to the Pro Bowl two years ago, overcame a poor start to finish with 5 sacks and 34 tackles last year. The Eagles considered trading him this offseason, but talks with Baltimore broke down.

Rain Man
04-29-2005, 11:17 AM
I had to chuckle the other day reading that Mike MacKenzie was holding out for a new contract from the Saints. People like him and Owens must be very unhappy people, because they're never satisfied with anything.

BIG_DADDY
04-29-2005, 11:21 AM
I had to chuckle the other day reading that Mike MacKenzie was holding out for a new contract from the Saints. People like him and Owens must be very unhappy people, because they're never satisfied with anything.

This is all posturing. The Eagles have TO, they would have to be fools to renegotiate. He is making a ton and if he would like to give that up and not play and be in the spotlight then great. I think he's just using this bluff to avoid training camp. When the smoke clears TO will have himself in shape and be on the field.

whoman69
04-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Rosenhaus must have changed his tactics. He's got 10 players who are going to hold out. Normally, he doesn't resort to that tactic.

Brock
04-29-2005, 11:42 AM
I don't know what the best receiver in the game has to gain by going to minicamp. Minicamp is retarded anyway.

BIG_DADDY
04-29-2005, 12:29 PM
I don't know what the best receiver in the game has to gain by going to minicamp. Minicamp is retarded anyway.

That's true. I still say he's bluffing.

Nzoner
04-29-2005, 07:47 PM
McNabb has something to say now.

The soap opera atmosphere surrounding the NFC champions is a stunning turnaround from the calm environment the Eagles are used to. (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3541206)

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - With Terrell Owens absent, Donovan McNabb didn't miss his target.

While Owens skipped Philadelphia's first mandatory minicamp practice on Friday, McNabb responded sternly to the All-Pro wide receiver's stinging comments about the quarterback's performance in the Eagles' 24-21 loss to New England in the Super Bowl.
"I don't play games in the media," McNabb said. "I'm not going to sit here and try to have a war of words. I'm a man at what I do. If there's a problem with anyone, and they feel the need to lash out, they know how to get in touch with me and we can handle it like men."

Owens - who is holding out, presumably because he wants a new contract - took a verbal shot at McNabb in an interview earlier this month. Some Eagles said McNabb was so ill in the fourth quarter against the Patriots that he couldn't call one play in the huddle.

"I played every snap they allowed me to play," Owens told ESPN.com. "I wasn't even running until, like, two weeks before the game. But I made sure I was in the best shape possible. I wasn't the guy who got tired in the Super Bowl."

McNabb, who made a recruiting pitch to get Owens to Philadelphia before last season, insisted he wasn't tired or sick in the final minutes against New England, though it appeared at one point he was either coughing or struggling to catch his breath.

"If you say I was winded, if you say the (offensive) line was winded, if you say the defense was winded, that's fine," McNabb said. "But to be tired and dropping to a knee, that didn't happen."

Without mentioning Owens, McNabb had strong advice for his most loquacious teammate.

"Just keep my name out of your mouth," McNabb said. "Don't try to throw names or guys under the bus to better yourself. You never heard me say any names in any situation. You never heard me talk about any given players. I'm the guy to be professional and be a man about things."

McNabb said he hasn't spoken to Owens since hearing the inflammatory comments.

"If a comment was made about me, it would take that person to call me," he said. "I don't have to reach out to anyone."

The soap opera atmosphere surrounding the NFC champions is a stunning turnaround from the calm environment the Eagles are used to. Contract disputes also kept Pro Bowl running back Brian Westbrook and defensive tackle Corey Simon at home, and wideout Freddie Mitchell wasn't welcome at camp.

"I told him I did not want him here," Eagles coach Andy Reid said of Mitchell, the former first-round pick who has talked himself out of town by constantly griping about his role in the offense.

Owens' holdout could extend deep into training camp, which starts in late July. He said several times this month he wants to renegotiate the seven-year deal he signed last March. The Eagles have refused to redo the contract worth nearly $49 million.

"If he's here, he's here. If he's not, he's not," Reid said. "We have an understanding here that if you're not here, we move on without you. We have been very successful doing that, so we don't waste a lot of time worrying about those things."

The flamboyant Owens helped the Eagles reach the Super Bowl in his first season in Philadelphia after eight years with the San Francisco 49ers. Owens set team records with 14 touchdown receptions and seven 100-yard games, and finished with 77 catches for 1,200 yards.

Owens broke his leg and severely sprained his right ankle in Week 15 against Dallas, an injury that sidelined him until the Super Bowl. He had nine catches for 122 yards after defying his doctor's advice and playing against the Patriots.

McNabb said he wouldn't have a problem playing with Owens if he returns to the Eagles.

"When I'm on the field, it doesn't matter who I'm throwing it to," he said. "If I'm throwing it to you, you can catch it. If you catch the ball, you get first downs and that's what I'm happy about. What bothers me is when you get out, lash out and say whatever."

Westbrook has until June 15 to sign a one-year, $1.43 million tender. He's seeking a long-term deal, but discussions haven't been promising. Simon was offered a one-year franchise tender worth about $5.13 million, but he also wants a long-term contract.

Westbrook had a breakout season for the Eagles, scoring nine touchdowns and leading the team with 1,515 total yards. He rushed for 812 yards on 177 carries and led all NFL running backs in receptions with 73 for 703 yards last season.

Simon, who went to the Pro Bowl two years ago, overcame a poor start to finish with 5 1/2 sacks and 34 tackles last year. The Eagles considered trading him this offseason, but talks with Baltimore broke down.

Count Alex's Losses
04-29-2005, 07:50 PM
Be glad the Chiefs do not have a player like this.

Nzoner
04-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Be glad the Chiefs do not have a player like this.

This Owens quote says it all...
"I played every snap they allowed me to play," Owens told ESPN.com. "I wasn't even running until, like, two weeks before the game. But I made sure I was in the best shape possible. I wasn't the guy who got tired in the Super Bowl."

I rarely talk bad about players(raiders and broncos only)but this is one time I think it's too bad this uppity focker didn't shatter his leg and end his career and give us all some peace and quiet.

cmh6476
04-29-2005, 08:07 PM

I rarely talk bad about players(raiders and broncos only)but this is one time I think it's too bad this uppity focker didn't shatter his leg and end his career and give us all some peace and quiet.
big shots tonight man, what you got planned? :shrug:

Nzoner
04-29-2005, 08:12 PM
big shots tonight man, what you got planned? :shrug:

Nadda,I took my wife to the airport at 5 this morning after only 2 hours sleep and am barely hangin on right now.Gonna get rested up as I'm having a little party in the gameroom tomorrow night.

cmh6476
04-29-2005, 08:15 PM
i'll drink one for ya :thumb:

Nzoner
04-29-2005, 08:18 PM
i'll drink one for ya :thumb:

If you're in the neighborhood stop by tomorrow night anytime after seven,BYOB,a few other planeteers are driving up.

Skip Towne
04-29-2005, 09:14 PM

Agreed. It just pains me that he continues to get away with it. If it weren't for football that retard would be working at Taco Bell.

HemiEd
04-29-2005, 09:32 PM
Very glad he did not fit the profile. He is way too full of himself to be a team player.

Skip Towne
04-29-2005, 09:40 PM
Very glad he did not fit the profile. He is way too full of himself to be a team player.
It tickles me the Eagles are already having trouble with him. Maybe one of these days these teams will realize guys like this are more trouble than they are worth. Then they will find themselves unemployed. Nah, that will never happen.

Wallcrawler
04-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Owens is pretty annoying.

I really dont see how guys like McNabb could stand to play with him, but I guess when you can do the things at the WR position that Owens can do, you take the good with the bad.

Owens is getting pretty bad for bashing his quarterbacks though. He took tons of shots at Jeff Garcia, and now he's slamming McNabb.

Gotta wonder how long it is going to be before one of his teammates just tells him to STFU.

philfree
04-29-2005, 10:24 PM
Hey if TOs BS causes them to have to release Simon and we sign him I'm all for it. I was watching Total Access and they showed a McKnabb interview and he said that "if anyone a problem they should come talk to him and they could handled it like men." Well something like that. This could get good ROFL The Eagles are imploding!

PhilFree:arrow:

C-Mac
04-29-2005, 10:25 PM
Someday there will be word description a named after this idiot that will be applied to all athelete's with too much vitamin "I" in there blood.

Perhaps- OwenItis

On thing for sure, he can always get a job at Budweiser doing TRUE commercials with ole Leon.

Nzoner
04-29-2005, 10:28 PM
I was watching Total Access and they showed a McKnabb interview and he said that "if anyone a problem they should come talk to him and they could handled it like men." Well something like that. This could get good ROFL The Eagles are imploding!

PhilFree:arrow:

Yep,the exact quote is in a post up there ^