PDA

View Full Version : kdchiefs.com: Q&A DJ(mimi camp)4/29...

Coogs
04-29-2005, 01:43 PM
Q&A LB DERRICK JOHNSON
Apr 29, 2005, 2:37:38 PM

Q: How was your first day?

DERRICK JOHNSON: “My first practice was great. It was a little different. There was a lot of stuff going on. The first one for a rookie, I am very proud of myself. I am trying to get everything learned and I am doing a great job right now.”

Q: How tough is it to learn the playbook?

JOHNSON: “It is not too difficult. The coaches know how to explain things. They are good coaches. If you don’t know something, you ask. That is one thing I do a lot of. I ask questions if I don’t know something and I am very coachable. Everything is pretty smooth right now.”

Q: Are you trying to make a good impression in your first practice?

JOHNSON: “Definitely. Just like a freshman in high school or a freshman in college. You just want to make your mark. It is your first time out here. That is what everybody is trying to do and I think we did that today.”

Q: Do you have the system down?

JOHNSON: “No, not yet. I don’t have the system down yet. I am working hard and hopefully I can have it down soon.”

Q: What are your impressions of (Defensive Coordinator) Gunther Cunningham?

JOHNSON: “He is a good coach. Coach Cunningham is the type of coach who is fired up about his work. That is how I strive to be when I am on the field, real passionate. He is the type of coach that is like a player, but doesn’t have pads on.”

AirForceChief
04-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Too bad DJ seems to lack confidence and fails to be assertive...

Kyle401
04-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Too bad DJ seems to lack confidence and fails to be assertive...
ROFL That's probably why he runs around blockers.

Tuckdaddy
04-29-2005, 01:51 PM
I don't care if he sounds conservative. He's probably a nice kid except on game day I doubt he's so nice.

go bowe
04-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Too bad DJ seems to lack confidence and fails to be assertive...yeah, it is a shame, isn't it...

Warrior5
04-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Q: Do you have the system down?

JOHNSON: “No, not yet. I don’t have the system down yet. I am working hard and hopefully I can have it down soon.”

Am I alone in thinking this was a stupid question?

Demonpenz
04-29-2005, 01:54 PM
BUST!

go bowe
04-29-2005, 01:55 PM
Am I alone in thinking this was a stupid question?no, not at all...

after all, the kid did finish a whole day of minicamp, didn't he?

he should have no problem learning a complicated nfl defense that gun says is hardest for linebackers to learn, in just one day...

i mean, the kid did go to college, right?

Fire Me Boy!
04-29-2005, 01:56 PM
What CRAP! This kid has had the playbook almost an entire two weeks and he doesn't have the system down?!?!?

BUST!

AirForceChief
04-29-2005, 02:12 PM
I don't care if he sounds conservative. He's probably a nice kid except on game day I doubt he's so nice.

If you look on the bottom left of your keyboard and press cntrl - shift - S, you will activate the sarcasm filter and mulitiply your Chiefs Planet experience 10X!!

beavis
04-29-2005, 02:16 PM
What CRAP! This kid has had the playbook almost an entire two weeks and he doesn't have the system down?!?!?

BUST!
Man, he's been a Chief a grand total of 7 days. It'll take him a year to get comfortable with the D.

the Talking Can
04-29-2005, 02:17 PM

I was thinking he should of asked, "Will you have 20 or 30 sacks this year?"

Crush
04-29-2005, 02:17 PM
:cuss: What kind of 1st round pick doesn't have the system down yet?

JimNasium
04-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Dammit Carl!

el borracho
04-29-2005, 02:45 PM
this is my favorite part:

Coach Cunningham is the type of coach who is fired up about his work. That is how I strive to be when I am on the field, real passionate. He is the type of coach that is like a player, but doesn’t have pads on.”

tyton75
04-29-2005, 02:46 PM
anyone else have a sneaking suspicion that they are going to work him in slowly and NOT start him to open the season?

I hope I'm wrong and he starts right away... but I have this feeling that they might try to 'ease him in"

Fire Me Boy!
04-29-2005, 02:53 PM
Man, he's been a Chief a grand total of 7 days. It'll take him a year to get comfortable with the D.
Please refer here:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2439522&postcount=10

There was just a tad bit of sarcasm in my post...

philfree
04-29-2005, 03:01 PM
anyone else have a sneaking suspicion that they are going to work him in slowly and NOT start him to open the season?

I hope I'm wrong and he starts right away... but I have this feeling that they might try to 'ease him in"

I think he will start. DV saw first hand today what kind of athlete DJ is and we know Gun will want him on the field. The key is to get his contract signed before the other mini camps begin. That'll be a tough chore but it's possible. Rookie camp+mini camp+trainning camp+4 preseason games=DJ starting. From his interviews I think he'll be easy to coach and he will pick things up quickly. But we gotta get him signed!

PhilFree:arrow:

donkhater
04-29-2005, 03:07 PM
I think he will start. DV saw first hand today what kind of athlete DJ is and we know Gun will want him on the field. The key is to get his contract signed before the other mini camps begin. That'll be a tough chore but it's possible. Rookie camp+mini camp+trainning camp+4 preseason games=DJ starting. From his interviews I think he'll be easy to coach and he will pick things up quickly. But we gotta get him signed!

PhilFree:arrow:
Rookies can participate in mini camps and even training camp without contracts, I believe. It's just not a good idea for injury reasons.

Typically the rookies participate in all mini camps with a injury agreement in place.

wilas101
04-29-2005, 03:09 PM
he should have no problem learning a complicated nfl defense that gun says is hardest for linebackers to learn, in just one day...

i mean, the kid did go to college, right?

ROFL :clap:

Wallcrawler
04-29-2005, 03:13 PM
I dont know about starting, but DJ should see some playing time this year, especially with that type of speed. I really think it will be hard for them to keep him off the field with as much as he can do at the LB position.

I like his attitude. Even though he has been referred to as the best linebacker in college football, he doesnt seem to have any kind of arrogance or anything, and really seems like he will do everything asked of him in order to take his game to the next level.

I think at this point after Ryan Sims was drafted, he was sitting on his couch eating cheeseburgers.

Its really good to see him taking every opportunity given to him to show what he can bring to the team, instead of putting the cash above everything else and sitting at home letting himself get out of shape.

HemiEd
04-29-2005, 03:23 PM

Bait! I think he handled it well.