PDA

View Full Version : Fatmouth at it again...

T-post Tom
04-30-2005, 12:43 AM
Just so everyone knows: this whole steroid controversy is nothing more than the machinations of a white racist society that will do anything to keep Barry Bonds from breaking Babe Ruth's record. :drool:

Steroid hunt wants Bonds, not NFL

JASON WHITLOCK

Any pretense that the steroids witch hunt in professional sports isn't about Barry Bonds and Babe Ruth (and Hank Aaron) ended Wednesday afternoon when representatives of the NFL met with hypocritical Washington politicians.

You probably didn't even know it happened.

Unlike the 11-hour, baseball media circus, commissioner Paul Tagliabue, NFL Players Association head Gene Upshaw, a nondescript former NFL player, and a few others testified before Congress without creating much of a stir. No one bothered to fly in a couple of families to blame the death of their loved ones on Michael Vick, Peyton Manning or Brett Favre. Heck, no one even bothered to subpoena any current NFL players.

Nope. Wednesday's off-Broadway performance was over in five-plus hours, and most of the grandstanding politicians went out of their way to congratulate Tagliabue and Upshaw for getting a handle on the league's performance-enhancing-drug issue.

Yes, sir, the NFL certainly is light years ahead of Major League Baseball. The NFL's policies are tough, and there are no kids across the country tempted to do steroids because they see mammoth men running as fast as race horses on NFL Sundays.

Just look at the way the NFL cracked down on Northwestern defensive tackle Luis Castillo. Busted before the draft with an illegal steroid in his system, Castillo wrote each NFL team a letter swearing off performance-enhancing drugs. He turned to steroids in preparation for the draft because his body was slowly recovering from an elbow injury he suffered early in his senior season.

Castillo called using steroids a “huge mistake.”

The San Diego Chargers called Castillo their second first-round pick of the 2005 NFL draft. Yep. That's some message the NFL just sent to the nation's children. Get busted using steroids months before the draft and you just might be the 28th overall pick.

Castillo really regrets his decision. To prove it, he's stated on the record that if he ever tests positive again, he'll return his entire signing bonus. Hmmm. That's a couple of million bucks. Do you think he would've been a first-round draft pick had he not juiced? If he hadn't recovered from the elbow injury, do you think the Chargers would've thought twice about making him a first-round pick?

Castillo played the steroids game exactly the way football players are supposed to play it. He used steroids to fix a problem just in time to get paid. He can probably guarantee he won't test positive again, because he probably knows what mistake he made to get caught in the first place.

I bring all this up because I'm sickened by the steroid (performance-enhancing drug) hypocrisy. It's ridiculous that a bunch of politicians would pat the NFL on the back and blast Major League Baseball. As it relates to players' use of performance-enhancing drugs, there's little difference between the leagues. And I contend there's far more temptation to use steroids in football than baseball, particularly among the nation's youth.

And if my media brethren are truly concerned about protecting the integrity of the games men play for money, why weren't there more members of the media covering this very important hearing?

The answer is simple. The NFL hearing had nothing to do with Barry Bonds and his stalled attempt at surpassing Babe Ruth (and Hank Aaron). The media and Congress would still be ignoring performance-enhancing drugs if Bonds weren't so close to 714.

The motives driving the steroid witch hunt aren't pure. That's why nothing good will come out of all the debate. You might think running Bonds out of the game before he passes Ruth (and Aaron) would be a good thing. I disagree. It would be sad. It would be a blown opportunity.

Our nation's leaders should be holding a legitimate discussion about performance-enhancing drugs. Cyclist Lance Armstrong has been dogged by blood-doping rumors for years. Let's suppose the rumors are true. If so, I'd rather have scientists debate the role performance-enhancing drugs played in Armstrong's recovery from cancer and his ability to remain an elite athlete.

Logical
04-30-2005, 01:12 AM
Not a bad article, there is a lot of truth in what he says. Though he did go over the top with the Barry Bonds bit.

Uncle_Ted
04-30-2005, 01:27 AM
I thought Castillo used steroids for just 5 days because an elbow injury wasn't healing. Or was his use more extensive than that? I know it's a hard line to draw, but it seems to me there's a big difference between taking them over a prolonged period of time to bulk up, and taking them for a short period of time, during the offseason, to "cure" an injury. To me it depends too on whether he was working out while taking the roids or resting to allow healing.

stevieray
04-30-2005, 01:30 AM
A million high school athletes on steroids. It's sad that sports is selling out America's youth.

Aaron's record will never be matched. At least not in any way shape or form of being authentic, unless someone comes along that isn't juiced up. To me, if most are juiced up, then being a "gifted" athlete is nonexistant, or at least artificial.

BIG_DADDY
04-30-2005, 01:51 AM
A million high school athletes on steroids. It's sad that sports is selling out America's youth.

And you believe that? Please

stevieray
04-30-2005, 02:00 AM
And you believe that? Please

When they are building multi-million dollar high school football stadiums, you bet your ass I do.

T-post Tom
04-30-2005, 02:36 AM
Not a bad article, there is a lot of truth in what he says. Though he did go over the top with the Barry Bonds bit.

Over the top? You're becoming quite generous in your old age. :) I about fell out of my chair when I read:

"The media and Congress would still be ignoring performance-enhancing drugs if Bonds weren't so close to 714."

Yeppers, it's that media/Congress conspiracy to get Bonds that's fueling this. (And rising oil prices as well.)

mikey23545
04-30-2005, 04:41 AM
I find it odd that whenever he mentions Bonds and the home run record, he always mentions Babe Ruth (who no longer holds the record) and places Hank Aaron's(who does hold the record) name in parentheses...Is Fatlock some kind of closet racist?....

andoman
04-30-2005, 08:04 AM
I find it odd that whenever he mentions Bonds and the home run record, he always mentions Babe Ruth (who no longer holds the record) and places Hank Aaron's(who does hold the record) name in parentheses...Is Fatlock some kind of closet racist?....

I think he's insinuating that others are. He's saying they don't want Bonds to pass Ruth and then he throws in a reminder that it is actually Aaron that holds the record.

mikey23545
04-30-2005, 08:36 AM
I think he's insinuating that others are. He's saying they don't want Bonds to pass Ruth and then he throws in a reminder that it is actually Aaron that holds the record.

Please adjust your sarcasm meter.... :)

FringeNC
04-30-2005, 08:39 AM
I hate to agree with Whitlock on a political issue (especially after his disgusting F911 - Pat Tillman article), but he is right-on here. The whole time baseball was testifying before Congress, I was shocked that football was being given a free pass, especially when Congress made such a big deal about the impact on kids. Does anyone actually believe that if high school baseball players and high school football players were tested, that there'd be a bigger problem in baseball?

The whole thing is one of the most shameful recent episodes of Congressional grandstanding.

Brock
04-30-2005, 10:19 AM
Gene Upshaw, a nondescript former NFL player

Does Whitlock actually watch sports? What a fugging moron.

Brock
04-30-2005, 10:20 AM
I hate to agree with Whitlock on a political issue (especially after his disgusting F911 - Pat Tillman article), but he is right-on here. The whole time baseball was testifying before Congress, I was shocked that football was being given a free pass, especially when Congress made such a big deal about the impact on kids.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that the NFL actually has tested for steroids for a couple of decades, and baseball sat around with their thumbs up their asses.

jspchief
04-30-2005, 11:20 AM
I hate to agree with Whitlock on a political issue (especially after his disgusting F911 - Pat Tillman article), but he is right-on here. The whole time baseball was testifying before Congress, I was shocked that football was being given a free pass, especially when Congress made such a big deal about the impact on kids. Does anyone actually believe that if high school baseball players and high school football players were tested, that there'd be a bigger problem in baseball?

The whole thing is one of the most shameful recent episodes of Congressional grandstanding.

Football has the most stringent steroid policy in American professional sports. They are making an honest effort. Baseball was making no effort.

Personally, I find it unbelievable that the MLB players union was able to make a hard stance on steroid testing in the past. Why was this never an issue until someone finally wrote a book? Everyone has been turning a blind eye to this for a long time. The owners and players are equally culpable for not taking a stance on this in the past.

As far as "Bonds the victim", he's still routinely hanging out with one of the major players in the Balco investigation. If he doesn't have the intelligence or the moral fortitude to seperate himself from these guys, he deserves any and all scrutiny. The fact that he's routinely been a world class a-hole doesn't help either.

Bob Dole
04-30-2005, 11:40 AM

As Bob Dole stated when they brought up the whole idea of Congress getting involved at all.

Another wonderful waste of tax dollars.

Rausch
04-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that the NFL actually has tested for steroids for a couple of decades, and baseball sat around with their thumbs up their asses.

Because without steroids no one even notices baseball.

Sosa and Big Mac safed baseball from complete failure. Just when it started to get boring again Bonds starting smacking putting out homers like mad...

Today's TV audience wants to see 4 homers a game, not a no hitter.

BIG_DADDY
04-30-2005, 04:29 PM
When they are building multi-million dollar high school football stadiums, you bet your ass I do.

I used to work with a lot of kids in high school athletic programs and I can tell you it is very rare. My godson's uncle currently runs the Riordan program out here and really knows how to spot steroid use. When we talked about the subject he said he just doesn't understand why everything is being so overblown because he hardly ever sees it. My coworker's half brother is the star of his high school team and he basically said the same thing. He said he's sick and tired of hearing about it. He said the players just all look at each other when the subject is brought to their attention AGAIN in the lockeroom. It's like why the **** do we have to listen to this shit again for? To say a million players are using in high school is WAY overblown IMO. Remember I am in Balco country too.

You also said sports is selling them out, I am not exactly sure what you meant by that either. Remember I am in Balco country too.

Logical
04-30-2005, 04:50 PM
Does Whitlock actually watch sports? What a fugging moron.The non-descript former player Whitlock is talking about is Steve Courson a former Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay lineman. Unlike baseball he was the only former player called. Upshaw was there representing the players union, not as a former player.

T-post Tom
04-30-2005, 05:57 PM
I really despise Fatmouth's gratuitous use of the race card. He should know that he diminishes true instances of racism every time he uses his forum to cry wolf. Doesn't the NFL have a much higher percentage of black players versus MLB? If the media and Congress were really motivated by racial hatred toward African-Americans, wouldn't they have it in for the NFL? Does anyone really believe that this whole steroid issue is an attempt to prevent Bonds from attaining 714 home runs? Come on folks...that premise is absolutely absurd. And for Fatmouth to have the temerity to troll that line of tripe is more unprofessional that holding up a "Bledsoe is gay" sign in a press box. And much more dangerous.