PDA

View Full Version : kcchiefs.com: Q&A with Gun 4/30 (very good stuff)

Coogs
04-30-2005, 01:15 PM
Q&A GUNTHER CUNNINGHAM
Apr 30, 2005, 1:07:34 PM

Q: How do you feel about the additions to the defense?

CUNNINGHAM: ďCarl Peterson, Denny Thum, Lynn Stiles and Bill Kuharich had a plan. We got together, we met for hours and hours to tried to develop the plan. The original plan came to fruition and thatís what I enjoyed. We developed a game plan and were able to bring some new players in. We targeted those players and we got them.Ē

Q: What do you envision for this defense?

CUNNINGHAM: ďThe organization had a goal to reshape our defensive personnel so we could put a product on the field that was better than last year. Weíve got the players, now what we have to do is turn the calendar back. I know what I like on defense. That takes a lot of time. We spend hours talking about philosophy and our approach to the game. I think that philosophy is coming across. What weíd like to do is play like we used to around here. Thatís the goal I see at the end of my dream to the bring back the explosion and speed, taking the ball away and putting it in ĎAmen Corner,í weíd like to be able to score on defense.Ē

Q: What have you seen from Derrick Johnson?

CUNNINGHAM: ďOne thing is great about Derrick Johnson, my hatís off to Greg Robinson who spoke to Derrick before he came up here and he said all the right things. I appreciated that, the way he handled Derrick before he came in. The thing I like about Derrick is that heís very coachable, very athletic. Heís just got to learn to play within the framework of the NFL. You can be all-world in college and come in here and it doesnít mean anything in this league. He has to show the players and the coaches what heís able to do and that takes practice time.Ē

Q: How excited are you about using the tools Carl Peterson has given you on defense?

CUNNINGHAM: ďThe biggest thing for me is that Carl knows what Iím all about and I definitely know what heís all about. Thatís the reason I came back here. Heís tough. Heís hard-core when it comes to management and doing the right things. Thatís who I wanted to be with. He stepped on the table at the end of the season. Everybody got involved in the Personnel Department. We had a plan and Carl stuck to that plan. I know everybody was getting impatient and you werenít the only ones. Itís difficult to go through three months when you know the plan, but not everybody else (in the media and the public) knew it. When you talk about (CB) Samari Rolle, we had four or five guys listed who I felt that if we got one of them, we could go to work. It was the same thing with the linebackers. It was Julian Peterson and Kendrell Bell or Kendrell Bell and Julian Peterson. When Julian signed, we saw Kendrell sitting there and we said, Ďletís go to work.í

ďWith all the negotiations, itís a difficult job, but he (Carl) got it done. Itís a difficult, difficult job. But Carl, along with Denny and Woodie Dixon got it done. Thereís three guys working on it. Woodie went to Harvard and I didnít, so I stepped out of that part and they did it.Ē

Q: How difficult was last season for you personally?

CUNNINGHAM: ďIt was. The kind of person I am, it drives you crazy. People all say, Ďweíll get it done.í But you keep going through day after day waiting. Iím no different than all of you are. I put myself in that same fan category because Iím not doing the job, so you have to sit back and watch people who you have a lot of faith in. I kept reflecting back on when Carl called me in Tennessee. He called and asked if I was interested in coming back. I said, Ďall you had to do was dial the phone.í To me, when you have confidence in people like that who are going to do whatever they can to help, along with Mr. Hunt and his family and I told them at the draft that I canít believe how everybody stepped up.

ďWeíve got a big job ahead of us because that was phase one. Phase two is that we have to forget about everything and reshape this defense into what this city likes. Thatís what I work every day for and thatís why I came back here. Itís the mecca of football in the NFL. I donít care what St. Louis or what anybody else says. The reason Iím back here is because of that stadium behind us (Arrowhead), these fans, the Hunts, Carl and obviously Dick (Vermeil). Who doesnít want to come back to something like that? After these last three months, I have to get over all of that and get my focus to train these guys to be what weíre all used to.Ē

Q: How do you assemble all the pieces to this defense when you know you have some questions about the availability of some of your linebackers?

CUNNINGHAM: ďThatís a real difficult problem. Now you have to protect players. Last year we went to camp with nine linebackers and we practiced several days with four. When you do that, youíre killing guys off. What weíve talked about is maybe going into camp with 12 or more linebackers to pick up the slack for the guys who may not be ready. I donít want to push any doctor or any trainer, thatís not my job. If you get a guy nicked, it puts your three-deep roster in a messy situation and you donít want that to happen.Ē

Q: Where do you anticipate working Kendrell Bell, at Shawn Barberís spot at ROLB?

CUNNINGHAM: ďYou know he (Bell) has never played in the middle before. I donít think a lot of people realize that he was the right inside linebacker at Pittsburgh. Thatís the equivalent of where Anthony Davis used to play. When I got enamored with Kendrell Bell when I was in Tennessee and he single-handedly took apart our offense. Thatís what he is. Heís a powerful, explosive blitz guy. He played really as a right linebacker in Pittsburgh. What I donít do to do is to get anybody to trap me into saying Ďheís going to be this.í Weíve got D.J. (Derrick Johnson) here, weíve got Kendrell Bell, weíve got Keyaron Fox, weíve got Kawika Mitchell.

ďWeíve got to see all these things. Through the OTAs weíre going to have a floating depth chart and position chart. We need to put these players into positions to do what they do best. Yesterday we had a situation where Derrick was covering the linebacker and he was in his college stance. Our linebackers coach went ballistic and I said Ďtime out.í But I told him not to change his stance. If a player does something well, you canít take that away from him. We might have a fancy stance that we believe in, but in all reality, youíre not playing to that guyís game.

ďThatís the way we used to be here when we had (CB James) Hasty and all those guys. We have (CB) Patrick (Surtain) and (S) Sammy (Knight) coming in here and they know how to play. Patrick knows how to steal the ball. We have to sit down and talk at length and see what they do best to evolve our scheme.

ďIf you remember from Ď95 to Ď97 this defense was completely turned upside down. It was totally different. The Ď95 defense was big, fast, strong guys. We lined up in one defense and beat everybody. In Ď97, we had a bunch of young guys and we became a zone blitz team, almost a 3-4 team to some degree because Derrick (Thomas) came back and Derrick didnít like to play linebacker after about three weeks, so we put Anthony Davis in that spot and put the ĎFalconí defense in. So we have to look at every part of this and try to nail it down.Ē

Q: So things like Johnsonís stance you might be flexible with?

CUNNINGHAM: ďI definitely will let him keep the stance. When I saw the stance I thought of San Diego and the tight end they have (Gates). We have to cover that guy. Thereís a thought that Iíve had to go back to what we call the Ďunderí defense where you have an on-the-ball outside linebacker. You have to look at the division. Denver you might want to play with three guys off the ball because of how they run the ball and their boots. San Diego, you might have to play a guy up on the line of scrimmage because of that tight end, heís a great player in my opinion. The fun part is that the recruiting job and the evaluating job is over and now itís football and thatís the fun part.Ē

Q: Talk about the addition of leadership to this defense in the off-season?

CUNNINGHAM: ďSammy Knight has already turned the table on that. He is a coach. I sit down and talk to him and I canít believe how much he knows about the game. Heís been demanding in that weight room. Itís like he told the safeties, Ďonly two of us are going to play, so we might as well work together.í When a player stands up and says that to his teammates, you know heís the real deal. I will be on the sideline Ė thatís something I havenít done in a long time, since Ď93 or Ď94 with the Raiders. So Iím going to have to retool my focus to look at the game from the sideline, but Iím going to do it. I want to be down there and be amongst them. Thatís what they want, so basically, thatís what I want. All of those things will come into play.Ē

Hydrae
04-30-2005, 01:25 PM
How long until the season starts? :deevee:

Coogs
04-30-2005, 01:26 PM
After reading this, I'm not sure I would be all that surprised to see us in a 3-4 set quite a bit of the time with (L to R) Johnson, Mitchell, Bell, Fox.

TRR
04-30-2005, 01:26 PM
Sounds like the best 3 LB's will start.

tk13
04-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Sounds like the best 3 LB's will start.
I can't believe anybody thought otherwise...

KCChiefsFan88
04-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Does the fact Gunther didn't mention Fujita mean Fujita won't be ready when the season starts?

jspchief
04-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Fujita's name was conspicuously absent from the names he listed. I don't know if that's because he's injured or if we can read more into that.

Personally, I like Fujita and think he's been solid for us. I'd like to see him when he actually has talent around him.

I guess the most important thing is that we have the best guys on the field for what Gun wants to do.

TRR
04-30-2005, 01:40 PM
It doesn't matter to me whether Fujita's name was mentioned or not. There is no doubt in my mind that Fujita is a better LB than Mitchell/Fox. Not a single doubt.

FWIW, he didn't mention Barber's name either. Gun is probably focused on the healthy players right now.

Nzoner
04-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Itís the mecca of football in the NFL. I donít care what St. Louis or what anybody else says. The reason Iím back here is because of that stadium behind us (Arrowhead),

I got chills reading that and recalling what Arrowhead was like in the mid 90's.If this season means reliving some of those times,it can't get here fast enough.

Fried Meat Ball!
04-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Well that got me stoked!

I've been missing Gun's words, nice to hear some of these things from his mouth.

C-Mac
04-30-2005, 02:11 PM
"I will be on the sideline Ė thatís something I havenít done in a long time, since Ď93 or Ď94 with the . So Iím going to have to retool my focus to look at the game from the sideline, but Iím going to do it. I want to be down there and be amongst them. Thatís what they want, so basically, thatís what I want.

I think I could play my heart out for a guy l like that. :thumb:

BigChiefFan
04-30-2005, 02:24 PM
Sounds like Gunther is glowing from ear to ear and very enthusiastic about the upcoming season. I'm glad Carl and Co. didn't dick around and actually addressed some issues, Gunther should be a very happy camper with the players he has to work with.

royr17
04-30-2005, 02:35 PM
"I will be on the sideline Ė thatís something I havenít done in a long time, since Ď93 or Ď94 with the . So Iím going to have to retool my focus to look at the game from the sideline, but Iím going to do it. I want to be down there and be amongst them. Thatís what they want, so basically, thatís what I want.

I think I could play my heart out for a guy l like that. :thumb:

Uh oh that cant be good if you make a bad play, get ready for him to be in your face. I think this may be better for the team, so hopefully they will react better when he gets in there face and they know he is pissed.

keg in kc
04-30-2005, 02:43 PM
Phase two is that we have to forget about everythingDamn right. Wipe the slate clean. Cycle out the passive/cerebral Robinson approach, cycle out the total lack of self-confidence. That's why it was so important to bring in outside players of the highest calibre. To succeed, we have to change the identity of the defense, and the attitude of everyone on it. It's a shame it didn't happen a year ago, but like everything else in life, it's something you learn from so you can move forward.

Rain Man
04-30-2005, 02:59 PM
This whole linebacker thing is confusing. I would've thought that the WLB should be the smaller, faster guy to reach the sideline, and we're putting Bell there. I would've thought you'd want a bigger, stronger guy at SLB, and we're putting Johnson there contrary to the reports that he's best at WLB. And I would've thought that you would want a guy who can read plays, get to the ball, and make tackles at MLB, and we've got Mitchell there.

keg in kc
04-30-2005, 03:01 PM
This whole linebacker thing is confusing. I would've thought that the WLB should be the smaller, faster guy to reach the sideline, and we're putting Bell there. I would've thought you'd want a bigger, stronger guy at SLB, and we're putting Johnson there contrary to the reports that he's best at WLB. And I would've thought that you would want a guy who can read plays, get to the ball, and make tackles at MLB, and we've got Mitchell there.How many times do we have to tell you to stop thinking?

tk13
04-30-2005, 03:03 PM
This whole linebacker thing is confusing. I would've thought that the WLB should be the smaller, faster guy to reach the sideline, and we're putting Bell there. I would've thought you'd want a bigger, stronger guy at SLB, and we're putting Johnson there contrary to the reports that he's best at WLB. And I would've thought that you would want a guy who can read plays, get to the ball, and make tackles at MLB, and we've got Mitchell there.
Well by the same token, I'm guessing Gun wants DJ to be the one covering the TE on pass plays, while a guy like Bell doesn't have to worry about the TE when he blitzes.

BIG_DADDY
04-30-2005, 03:12 PM
Good read, thanks for posting it.

go bowe
04-30-2005, 03:43 PM
mmmmmmmm... ugh!

bo, him thinkem good have gun back...

now have horses too...

ready now for warpath!!

take many scalps...

beat enemies out of sense...

score with squaws, er... score many points...

chiefs win many times...

mmmmmmm...

is heap plenty good have gun...

heap plenty...

ai-EE-yah!! chiefs, them kick ass!!

http://freebmw.net/share/Smilies/NormalSize/388.gif :Peace: :arrow: :BLVD: [gulp][gulp] :D PBJ PBJ PBJ

CoMoChief
04-30-2005, 03:49 PM
I think we need to play Gary Stills instead of Eric Hicks at DE.

Frankie
04-30-2005, 05:00 PM
....He stepped on the table at the end of the season.....
I hear Carl does one mean table dance.

JimNasium
04-30-2005, 05:04 PM
Fuji better get used to special teams.

go bowe
04-30-2005, 05:07 PM
Fuji better get used to special teams.when dv talked about it right after the draft, didn't he say something about dj competing with fuj for that olb spot?

my guess is that it will be like it was for fuj...

fuj will likely start the season and then dj will take over a few games or so into the season...

JimNasium
04-30-2005, 05:12 PM
when dv talked about it right after the draft, didn't he say something about dj competing with fuj for that olb spot?

my guess is that it will be like it was for fuj...

fuj will likely start the season and then dj will take over a few games or so into the season...
There'a a lot of variables at play with the most significant being how quickly they can get DJ signed. The earlier he signs the worse it looks for Fuji.

Ghost
04-30-2005, 05:13 PM

While I thought Fujita after his rookie year was going to be a phenomenal (sp?) player, he certainly looked terrible this past season, out of position and not tackling do not a good linebacker make. I would love to see Barber, Bell, and DJ behind the front four, a linebacking corp with great athleticism, speed, and playmaking abilities. Fujita is still the priority backup because Fox is unproven and Mitchell has been bleh!

JimNasium
04-30-2005, 05:16 PM
While I thought Fujita after his rookie year was going to be a phenomenal (sp?) player, he certainly looked terrible this past season, out of position and not tackling do not a good linebacker make. I would love to see Barber, Bell, and DJ behind the front four, a linebacking corp with great athleticism, speed, and playmaking abilities. Fujita is still the priority backup because Fox is unproven and Mitchell has been bleh!
You're not Ghostof are you?

go bowe
04-30-2005, 05:19 PM
You're not Ghostof are you?now there's a scary thought... :huh:

JimNasium
04-30-2005, 05:23 PM
now there's a scary thought... :huh:
If he's not he should strongly consider changing his user name. No reason to run the risk of being confused with that ass master.

Ghost
04-30-2005, 05:27 PM
You're not Ghostof are you?

No.

go bowe
04-30-2005, 05:28 PM
If he's not he should strongly consider changing his user name. No reason to run the risk of being confused with that ass master.i know what you mean...

it isn't easy having the first name "go"... :(

milkman
04-30-2005, 05:29 PM
I think we need to play Gary Stills instead of Eric Hicks at DE.

I hope you're joking.

JimNasium
04-30-2005, 05:30 PM
No.
Please see my post above. Trust me, you don't want to be confused with that tool. If you want to change your username just pm a moderator.

go bowe
04-30-2005, 05:32 PM
Please see my post above. Trust me, you don't want to be confused with that tool. If you want to change your username just pm a moderator.i'll second that emotion...

Ghost
04-30-2005, 05:32 PM
Please see my post above. Trust me, you don't want to be confused with that tool. If you want to change your username just pm a moderator.

Maybe I can change the name back into a respectable calling on the message board instead? I like the name...

JimNasium
04-30-2005, 05:33 PM
Maybe I can change the name back into a respectable calling on the message board instead? I like the name...
Works for me. Good luck.

Frankie
04-30-2005, 05:33 PM
While I thought Fujita after his rookie year was going to be a phenomenal (sp?) player, he certainly looked terrible this past season, out of position and not tackling do not a good linebacker make.
Sophomore jinx. I've heard of that. Maybe there's something to that.

T-post Tom
04-30-2005, 05:36 PM
AWESOME POST! How lucky we are that he was a big enough man to come back to KC. I absolutely love the concept of playing to your strengths and not trying to pound a square peg in a round hole. Ah, the visions of Hasty, Carter, Ross, Lewis, Thomas, Smith, Salemua....

Ghost
04-30-2005, 05:38 PM
Sophomore jinx. I've heard of that. Maybe there's something to that.

What worries me is Gunther is supposed to be a LBer magician, turning the ordinary into extraordinary, but Fuj took a dive off the deepend. He played his way into depths he is in now, but looking back on his frosh season, I don't know who is to blame?

Pants
04-30-2005, 05:41 PM
What worries me is Gunther is supposed to be a LBer magician, turning the ordinary into extraordinary, but Fuj took a dive off the deepend. He played his way into depths he is in now, but looking back on his frosh season, I don't know who is to blame?

His injury. When healthy Fooj is a force.

milkman
04-30-2005, 05:42 PM

I wonder if the quality of player lined up to the right of him in that LB group had anything to do with his dropoff.

Ghost
04-30-2005, 05:43 PM
His injury. When healthy Fooj is a force.

Thinks for the vote of confidence. This makes me feel better because at worst Fuj should be quality depth for a defense that needs it.

beer bacon
04-30-2005, 05:46 PM
I would also like to remind everyone that we were just 7-9 last year. If you take a 1, the lowest possible positive whole number, and stick it in front of our record, then our record goes from 7-9 to 17-9. 17 wins people. No team has ever had 17 regular season wins. We were so close to being the best team ever in the history of the NFL last year.

I don't think I need to tell you that if you add a 1 to the beginning of our record after next year, we will have been even better.

Ghost
04-30-2005, 05:52 PM
I wonder if the quality of player lined up to the right of him in that LB group had anything to do with his dropoff.

Ok the *whole* defense sucked last season.

JimNasium
04-30-2005, 05:54 PM
I would also like to remind everyone that we were just 7-9 last year. If you take a 1, the lowest possible positive whole number, and stick it in front of our record, then our record goes from 7-9 to 17-9. 17 wins people. No team has ever had 17 regular season wins. We were so close to being the best team ever in the history of the NFL last year.

I don't think I need to tell you that if you add a 1 to the beginning of our record after next year, we will have been even better.
ROFL That's some funny shit right there I tell ya.

tk13
04-30-2005, 05:55 PM

If we'd done that in 2003, we would have won 113 games. Even the 72 Dolphins didn't do that.

JimNasium
04-30-2005, 05:58 PM
If we'd done that in 2003, we would have won 113 games. Even the 72 Dolphins didn't do that.
That's what I'm talking about. We would be legendary I tell ya. LeGENdary.

tk13
04-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Seriously though, I'm probably in the minority here, I think Mitchell can be better than Fujita. Not sure if he's there yet, but I think Mitchell really started to come on at the end of last year. I think that's what Gun is planning around. If you look at the last month of the season (5 games):

Mitchell - 38 total tackles, 1 sack, 2 "stuffs", 3 passes defensed, 1 forced fumble

Fujita - 31 total tackles, 0 sacks, 0 stuffs, 0 passes defensed, 0 forced fumbles

beer bacon
04-30-2005, 06:10 PM
Seriously though, I'm probably in the minority here, I think Mitchell can be better than Fujita. Not sure if he's there yet, but I think Mitchell really started to come on at the end of last year. I think that's what Gun is planning around. If you look at the last month of the season (5 games):

Mitchell - 38 total tackles, 1 sack, 2 "stuffs", 3 passes defensed, 1 forced fumble

Fujita - 31 total tackles, 0 sacks, 0 stuffs, 0 passes defensed, 0 forced fumbles

I thought Mitchell had two sacks against Denver.

CoMoChief
04-30-2005, 06:18 PM
Why is KaWEAKa Mitchell starting this season? Why doesnt Gun just have...
LOLB - Derrick Johnson
MLB - Kendrell Bell
ROLB - Shawn Barber (when healthy)

CoMoChief
04-30-2005, 06:19 PM
I dont see how you can make any more sense than that out of our LB core.

beer bacon
04-30-2005, 06:22 PM

The when healthy part is pretty important.

nascher
04-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Bell/Mitchell/Johnson

Fujita will be healthy before TC starts thats not the problem. We don't have that many options at MLB.
Bell never played a true 4-3 MLB.
Fujita never played MLB.
Johnson will never play MLB.

Leaves Fujita and Fox as Backup OLB's + Scanlon and Boomer as Backup MLB

+Barber when healthy

milkman
04-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Why is KaWEAKa Mitchell starting this season? Why doesnt Gun just have...
LOLB - Derrick Johnson
MLB - Kendrell Bell
ROLB - Shawn Barber (when healthy)

Probably because Barber isn't going to be ready to start the season.
Gun wants to have a plan in place to start the season.

He'll worry about how to utilize Barber when Barber gets back, which likely won't be until after the 6th week, if ever.

milkman
04-30-2005, 06:27 PM

I still want to know if you're joking about Stills starting at DE?

CoMoChief
04-30-2005, 06:33 PM
nah I was kidding about that. But Hicks does need to have a good kick in his fat ass, cuz he hasnt done sh*t recently. His only good year was that 2000 season.

Frankie
04-30-2005, 06:38 PM
ROFL That's some funny shit right there I tell ya.
I'm confused now. If you guys are this easily amused, how come my "Geek Family" thread is not getting much reaction? :shrug:

milkman
04-30-2005, 06:49 PM
nah I was kidding about that. But Hicks does need to have a good kick in his fat ass, cuz he hasnt done sh*t recently. His only good year was that 2000 season.

Whew, had me worried.

As long as we have to hope that guys like Sims, Mitchell, and Siavii step it up, we might as well hope that Jimmy Wilkerson does as well, so that Hicks can find a nice warm seat on the bench.

I know some people want to see Carlos Hall displace Hicks, but I'm not fond of the idea of a 260 lb DE on the left side.
I just think, unless you're a freak, you need a little more beef on that side.

Count Zarth
04-30-2005, 07:00 PM
Glad to see Gunther is coming down to the sideline. He needs to get in some people's faces.

It was different during the 90s. We had REAL DEFENSIVE PLAYERS that would get in the faces of non-producing pantywaists.

Count Zarth
04-30-2005, 07:09 PM
The other reason I believe he is coming down is the assistant coaches. He doesn't have his guys, therefore he is going to do the job himself.

Woodrow Call
04-30-2005, 08:15 PM

:clap:

Mitchell was the best LB on the field by the end of the season and I am very excited about seeing him with Bell on one side and DJ on the other. Those 3 will make an explosive and athletic group.

Fujita IMO is overrated simply because he was the best the Chiefs had for his first few years. Now with Bell, DJ, and an improved Kawika he is the 4th best LB on the team. Fujita will be a great backup and possible nickle LB. It says a lot for what the Chiefs have done when Fujita might not even start.

Like I have said before Gun wasn't very high on Fujita last offseason either and now that he has other choices it makes since that we would go with them. Fujita is fast but he plays stiff and IMO he has maxed out his potential.

Wallcrawler
05-01-2005, 12:14 AM
This is all just pure speculation anyway. Noone will know anything until training camp gets underway, and guys start showing what they have.

Scott Fujita led the Chiefs in tackles last season, so all this talk about how he suddenly sucks, and has gone off the deep end is really unneccessary.

To me, when youre trying to improve your defense, I dont see how you just automatically exclude the guy who led everyone else in tackles.

The reason that Gun didnt mention him in the article is because he was only talking about the guys who are ready to go right now. Barber is rehabbing, along with Fujita.

Gun knows defense, so im pretty confident in his judgement. Even though I dont really want to see Mitchell in there as our starting middle linebacker, I realise Im not a football coach. I dont see the things that Gunther sees during the week, nor do I have any interaction with him to know what is going on.

If Gun says that Mitchell is good enough to play Middle Linebacker over another guy, I have to take his word for it simply because in all the years that he has been coaching, defense has been his main area of expertise, and he knows what he is doing.

To hear him talk about Bell, it sounds like Bell could be a more destructive force on the defense playing at ROLB. If he can impact the game from that spot, then he should definately play there.

It sounds like Johnson might get some good playing time based on his ability to drop into coverage, which would be cool. I really dont want to have to wait for a long time to see what this guy can bring to the Chiefs. Im kinda impatient, and I want to see what he can do.

tk13
05-01-2005, 12:29 AM
I'm not sure many are saying Fujita sucks, but I think Kawika has the potential to be better. Kawika was 2nd on the team in tackles and he was hurt and not starting early on in the season. He does some positive things out there, I hope the end of last year was a sign he was starting to figure it out.

beer bacon
05-01-2005, 12:43 AM
I'm not sure many are saying Fujita sucks, but I think Kawika has the potential to be better. Kawika was 2nd on the team in tackles and he was hurt and not starting early on in the season. He does some positive things out there, I hope the end of last year was a sign he was starting to figure it out.

He had 29 tackles and two sacks the last three weeks of last season. There is no telling if that was a mirage or if he was really that much better, but it was a sizable increase statistically over his previous performance.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-01-2005, 07:47 PM
All I'm going to say is that it better get done this year, because this team is going to look a lot different next year, especially on offense, which is our strength. It's this year, or not for a long time, for this team.

Frankie
05-02-2005, 08:57 AM
Glad to see Gunther is coming down to the sideline. He needs to get in some people's faces.

OK, I see the point for this move. Young/underachieving 'D' needs him closer for extra motivation. But I think Gun is sacrificing the good overall view from the box for this. I still don't know why all coordinators don't sit in the coaches box. How can they see everything from the horizontal view of the sideline? :shrug:

Frankie
05-02-2005, 09:00 AM
:clap:

Mitchell was the best LB on the field by the end of the season and I am very excited about seeing him with Bell on one side and DJ on the other. Those 3 will make an explosive and athletic group.

Fujita IMO is overrated simply because he was the best the Chiefs had for his first few years. Now with Bell, DJ, and an improved Kawika he is the 4th best LB on the team. Fujita will be a great backup and possible nickle LB. It says a lot for what the Chiefs have done when Fujita might not even start.

Like I have said before Gun wasn't very high on Fujita last offseason either and now that he has other choices it makes since that we would go with them. Fujita is fast but he plays stiff and IMO he has maxed out his potential.

:hmmm:

Fujita to Washington for Patrick Ramsey?

Frankie
05-02-2005, 09:03 AM
All I'm going to say is that it better get done this year, because this team is going to look a lot different next year, especially on offense, which is our strength. It's this year, or not for a long time, for this team.

I'm not sure I buy that "window" thing. One thing I like about what Carl is doing is that he seems to have our long term fortunes in mind.

Rain Man
05-02-2005, 09:07 AM
I'm not sure I buy that "window" thing. One thing I like about what Carl is doing is that he seems to have our long term fortunes in mind.

Please let us win a Super Bowl before I die.

Frankie
05-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Please let us win a Super Bowl before I die.
Dude, you are younger than I am.

nascher
05-02-2005, 09:19 AM
making tackles is one thing making some plays another and we need some guys on defense like Kendrell Bell or Derrick Johnson and Fujita never played MLB so that leaves him in limbo.

C-Mac
05-02-2005, 09:44 AM
OK, I see the point for this move. Young/underachieving 'D' needs him closer for extra motivation. But I think Gun is sacrificing the good overall view from the box for this. I still don't know why all coordinators don't sit in the coaches box. How can they see everything from the horizontal view of the sideline? :shrug:

Dont think its going to be that big of deal. Dont under estimate the power of technology. A good camera and a monitor can go a long ways.
:D

melbar
05-02-2005, 10:40 AM
I love the cerebral approach he's taking with the players. Getting inside their heads , finding out what they feel most comfortable with , and designing the scheme to fit their talents. I love the bit about talking extensively to Sammy as well as others. This is how you build a family (a wolfpack if you will) on D.
I WISH GUN WAS MY DAD... :deevee: ROFL

MOhillbilly
05-02-2005, 11:48 AM
anyone else tired of slowpitch softball Q&As?

go bowe
05-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Please let us win a Super Bowl before I die.no, no, no...

it's before i die...

(that will move it up by a decade at least...)

Coogs
05-02-2005, 01:05 PM
anyone else tired of slowpitch softball Q&As?

Yep! I wish the reporters would ask some questions with specifics to the team. Questions like this...

How is Fox progressing and what are the chances he could start?
Is there consideration to moving Battle back to safety, where he was a star in college?

buddha
05-02-2005, 01:35 PM
I hear Carl does one mean table dance.

I can't tell you how much I would have loved to have seen THAT moment.