PDA

View Full Version : kcchiefs.com:Q&A with DV 4/30.

Coogs
04-30-2005, 02:19 PM
Q&A with DICK VERMEIL
Apr 30, 2005, 1:12:45 PM

Q: How did everything go today on day two of mini-camp?

DICK VERMEIL: “They’re amazingly better. After one hour and 15 minutes yesterday and today’s one hour and 15 minutes they were much better. We only had one off-side. It was fun to watch and you know something? They’re having a lot of fun.”

Q: Why is that? Just getting their feet on the ground after one day.

VERMEIL: “They’re not quite as nervous today. They listen better. They’re not as jumpy. I think they feel a little bit more at home, too.”

Q: What do you look for?

VERMEIL: “We’re of course looking at the draft choices. Then we’re looking for other kids that might have talent that were passed by. Guys like Richard Smith last year — those kinds of kids. See if we can’t locate two or three out of this group that we would bring to training camp and then maybe make the practice squad.”

Q: Early impressions or thoughts of Craphonso Thorpe as far as his route running?

VERMEIL: “He needs a lot of work. He’s a typical college receiver coming into the NFL, especially in our style of offense. They need a lot of work.”

Q: You can’t coach speed though.

VERMEIL: “Yesterday he didn’t look very fast on the field. Today, he looked a little bit better.”

Q: Is there anyone who’s just jumped out at you?

VERMEIL: “The guys that are supposed to look good looked good. The punter (Colquitt) did a real nice job today in a pre-practice punting drill. He did a nice job.”

Q: Derrick Johnson looked good out there today.

VERMEIL: “Oh yeah, but it doesn’t surprise you if a first round pick moves well. But he’s got a lot to learn, a lot to learn. But obviously he’s got some talent.”

Q: The punter punting well must make you feel good.

VERMEIL: “Long time before game time.”

Q: What about Hodge, the corner you drafted?

VERMEIL: “He was doing fine. He learns quickly and has responded to coaching real well. But it’s hard to really evaluate everybody as thoroughly as you’d like to. We know he’s got ability.”

tk13
04-30-2005, 02:38 PM
Q: The punter punting well must make you feel good.

VERMEIL: “Long time before game time.”

*Whip cracking sound* Pssshaw....

Ralphy Boy
04-30-2005, 03:15 PM
Q: Early impressions or thoughts of Craphonso Thorpe as far as his route running?

VERMEIL: “He needs a lot of work. He’s a typical college receiver coming into the NFL, especially in our style of offense. They need a lot of work.”

Q: You can’t coach speed though.

VERMEIL: “Yesterday he didn’t look very fast on the field. Today, he looked a little bit better.”

Uh hey Dick we were under the impression the kid was fast here and we've pretty much penciled him in as the next Chiefs HOF Wide Receiver without having played a down, what do you mean he isn't fast?

BigChiefFan
04-30-2005, 03:27 PM
Vermeil isn't going to praise anybody too much this early. He's whipping 'em into shape.

royr17
04-30-2005, 03:38 PM
Q: What about Hodge, the corner you drafted?

VERMEIL: “He was doing fine. He learns quickly and has responded to coaching real well. But it’s hard to really evaluate everybody as thoroughly as you’d like to. We know he’s got ability.”

I like what i just read on that. I watched a video on the kid and he's fast and can get back in coverage quickly. Awesome read somewhere that he could become a shutdown corner but that he just needs some work.

I cant wait to see this kid in action. Buh bye Battle and Bartee.

Chan93lx50
04-30-2005, 04:01 PM
I like what i just read on that. I watched a video on the kid and he's fast and can get back in coverage quickly. Awesome read somewhere that he could become a shutdown corner but that he just needs some work.

I cant wait to see this kid in action. Buh bye Battle and Bartee.

Music to my ears!