PDA

View Full Version : For you sci-fi fans...

mcan
05-01-2005, 02:02 AM
Go rent the movie "Primer" and come back here and explain it to me. The movie is awesome, but I can't catch heads or tails from it. By comparison, 2001 is a cakewalk...

Good luck.

Miles
05-01-2005, 02:47 AM
I watched it a few weeks ago and didn't even come close to fully understanding it. I though it was a complete mindf*ck movie.

*******Spoilers*********

I think i may have the rough idea of what was going on with the boxes. The timer is set in the present to activate the box a short amount of time later. They leave and go hang out in the hotel so no one sees them. Later that day they enter the box and spend the amout of time that it was on during the day in it. They them spend the whole "day" in the box and arrive at the point at which the timer was activated.

Where it loses me is when the various timelines start compounding. Each time they start spending more time in the box and traveling back further.

Fairplay
05-01-2005, 03:16 AM
“What’s best, thinking you’re paranoid or knowing you should be?”

mcan
05-01-2005, 05:27 AM
“What’s best, thinking you’re paranoid or knowing you should be?”

One of the lines that made me make an audible.. "huh..."

Rausch
05-19-2005, 10:05 PM
One of the lines that made me make an audible.. "huh..."

All one needs to be God is the knowledge of the future and the ability to travel in it. I don't know about you, but I've got very few friends I'd trust with that kind of power. Hell, I don't know if I'd do the "right" thing.

Outside of that, I'm not sure WTF I just watched. I'm more confused than after watching Donnie Darko the first time. I plan to watch it again tommorow with the director's comments on...

Rausch
05-19-2005, 10:25 PM
BTW, I found this (http://primermovie.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=626&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15) but didn't find it to be much help.

mcan
05-20-2005, 12:36 AM
All one needs to be God is the knowledge of the future and the ability to travel in it. I don't know about you, but I've got very few friends I'd trust with that kind of power. Hell, I don't know if I'd do the "right" thing.

Outside of that, I'm not sure WTF I just watched. I'm more confused than after watching Donnie Darko the first time. I plan to watch it again tommorow with the director's comments on...

Oh yeah, this movie makes "Donnie Darko" look like a story from "Three's Company." I really wanted to watch the director's commentary, but I never got the time before I had to return the tape.

BTW, the confusing stuff in Donnie Darko doesn't really have a definitive answer. It's confusing because it's not very well thought out BEFORE it was filmed... First time director, and he also wrote the screenplay. I guess we're supposed to believe that he sacrificed himself to save eveybody he loved... I call shenanigans there. If he would have just gone to Wal-Mart for a couple a days, everybody would have been just dandy. Instead, he has to go and flood his school, burn down houses, etc... He doesn't have to die, so it's not a REAL sacrifice. I thought the ending was cheap.

On the other hand, THIS movie, was obviously masterly thought out when it was written. This movie is smarter than me, and I admit it. I don't get it, because it's above me. It could probably kick my ass in a street fight, and if this movie and I were in a room with Jennifer Love Hewitt, I'd end up going home alone, and this damned movie would take Jennifer back to his place, and make her make him a sandwich (or whatever movies like to eat).

Miles
05-20-2005, 01:21 AM
BTW, the confusing stuff in Donnie Darko doesn't really have a definitive answer. It's confusing because it's not very well thought out BEFORE it was filmed... First time director, and he also wrote the screenplay. I guess we're supposed to believe that he sacrificed himself to save eveybody he loved... I call shenanigans there. If he would have just gone to Wal-Mart for a couple a days, everybody would have been just dandy. Instead, he has to go and flood his school, burn down houses, etc... He doesn't have to die, so it's not a REAL sacrifice. I thought the ending was cheap.

You may want to check out the director's cut. It goes deeper into the confusing stuff and better develops the problems you stated.

Rausch
05-20-2005, 01:59 AM
Oh yeah, this movie makes "Donnie Darko" look like a story from "Three's Company." I really wanted to watch the director's commentary, but I never got the time before I had to return the tape.

For the most part, yeah. When you watch the director's cut of DD it makes sense. And it makes a WHOLE lot more sense when you listen to the director's commentary.

As a hint, The Last Temptation of Christ is on the Billboard with Evil Dead for a reason. Think of what happened in that movie.

On the other hand, THIS movie, was obviously masterly thought out when it was written. This movie is smarter than me, and I admit it. I don't get it, because it's above me. It could probably kick my ass in a street fight, and if this movie and I were in a room with Jennifer Love Hewitt, I'd end up going home alone, and this damned movie would take Jennifer back to his place, and make her make him a sandwich (or whatever movies like to eat).

Just watched it again. Pretty sure I get about 90% of it now. And I can't sleep because I've been looking at stuff about black holes, time in relation to gravity, etc...

mcan
05-20-2005, 01:06 PM
For the most part, yeah. When you watch the director's cut of DD it makes sense. And it makes a WHOLE lot more sense when you listen to the director's commentary.

As a hint, The Last Temptation of Christ is on the Billboard with Evil Dead for a reason. Think of what happened in that movie.

I own the original Donnie Darko, and have seen all the extra footage (that was added to the director's cut). I also went through the entire website after I saw the movie in theatres. There are still SEVERAL holes in this movie, and the necessity for his sacrifice is very weak. It's not like a movie like "Panic Room" where Forest Whitiker has to make a decision... Them or me?... The movie asks us to believe that he NEEDS to die, and willingly dies to protect the people he loves. (Much the way Christ sacrifices himself). However, I can think of about 150 ways that he could just get up and go about his business and everybody would be just fine. So, his dying is only for the "cool movie" effect, and doesn't really work as a sacrifice. As for everything else in the movie that happens in the "tangent universe" it all pretty much makes sense except for exactly what physically happens on the hill. After watching the director's commentary, I guess Donnie has super powers (like a comic book hero) and he actually flew up to the airplane and physically stopped the crash from entering the wormhole. Maybe the director's cut commentary is a bit clearer, but I don't think HE even knows exactly what happens there. Then there is the ultimate catch 22 in the movie. If Donnie was "fated" to die (by getting hit by a plane engine from the future), then why did Frank tell him to get up? Also, Frank wouldn't exist if Donnie hadn't gotten up, so that part of the movie is terribly underthought.

Overall, I liked Donnie Darko, but I don't think it's nearly as good as everybody else. To me, it's entertaining and cool... That's it. Also, I think the Director's Cut is probably a waste of time. The only scene worth sticking back into the movie is the one where we find out that Donnie's medication is actually fake. There is some pretty good acting there, and I think it colors Donnie's (so called) journey in a pretty different way.

Rausch
05-22-2005, 04:39 AM
I own the original Donnie Darko, and have seen all the extra footage (that was added to the director's cut). I also went through the entire website after I saw the movie in theatres. There are still SEVERAL holes in this movie, and the necessity for his sacrifice is very weak. It's not like a movie like "Panic Room" where Forest Whitiker has to make a decision... Them or me?... The movie asks us to believe that he NEEDS to die, and willingly dies to protect the people he loves.

And that's the point. In this film there is "your way" or "God's way." That's it. Donnie is shown "his way" (where he doesn't die) and then at the end given free will to choose what he wants.
He chooses to die (but ONLY after his G/F dies after frank ruins her $#it.)

However, I can think of about 150 ways that he could just get up and go about his business and everybody would be just fine. So, his dying is only for the "cool movie" effect, and doesn't really work as a sacrifice. As for everything else in the movie that happens in the "tangent universe" it all pretty much makes sense except for exactly what physically happens on the hill. After watching the director's commentary, I guess Donnie has super powers (like a comic book hero) and he actually flew up to the airplane and physically stopped the crash from entering the wormhole. Maybe the director's cut commentary is a bit clearer, but I don't think HE even knows exactly what happens there. Then there is the ultimate catch 22 in the movie. If Donnie was "fated" to die (by getting hit by a plane engine from the future), then why did Frank tell him to get up?

There you go. Frank didn't tell him to "get up," he told him to "WAKE UP." Frank only started talking to Donnie afer he'd already started to sleep walk (which he did often, as shown in the opening sequence) Frank did NOT want him to miss the engine crash.

Overall, I liked Donnie Darko, but I don't think it's nearly as good as everybody else. To me, it's entertaining and cool... That's it. Also, I think the Director's Cut is probably a waste of time. The only scene worth sticking back into the movie is the one where we find out that Donnie's medication is actually fake. There is some pretty good acting there, and I think it colors Donnie's (so called) journey in a pretty different way.

True. But the director (far, far too subtely) was trying to create an allusion to the whole "Last Temptation of Christ" flick. The idea that Donnie sacrifices his future because he knows it isn't what's best for everyone. He makes the choice to die, in the end, to make things right.

Rausch
05-22-2005, 04:57 AM
Nevermind. This thread is about Primer, and should be. A damned good flick I'm STILL trying to figure out the chronological order in...

Gaz
05-22-2005, 06:56 AM
I have read lots of folks who loved “Donnie Darko.”

I thought it was crap.

Obtuse and dull. A complete and utter waste of my time. Zero Hoots. If there were such a thing a negative Hoots, I would slap them on this pretentious steaming pile.

YMMV.

xoxo~
Gaz
Does not grok all the Darko love on the Planet.

Rausch
05-24-2005, 04:24 AM
I have read lots of folks who loved “Donnie Darko.”

I thought it was crap.

Obtuse and dull. A complete and utter waste of my time. Zero Hoots. If there were such a thing a negative Hoots, I would slap them on this pretentious steaming pile.

YMMV.

xoxo~
Gaz
Does not grok all the Darko love on the Planet.

While Primer is by no means a "Hoot Scale" measured flick, I figured the engine-rear in you would appreciate it. Very well thought out, concentrates on story and dialogue as opposed to SI or CGI, and really makes you think about the "what would I do in that situation" decisions...

Do I ever, truly, trust anyone?...

Lzen
05-24-2005, 10:17 AM
I'm trying to remember ever seeing previews for Primer but to no avail. When did this flick come out? I love sci-fi and will probably go check this one out.

Rausch
07-29-2005, 04:46 AM
Ok, I think I've finally consumed enough alcohol to understand it.

But I'm still confused a bout the whole deal with Abe's girlfriend's dad...

Bob Dole
06-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Bob Dole just watched it for the second time (first time was Thursday night), and Bob Dole's head hurts almost as bad the second time through.

BigMeatballDave
06-03-2006, 09:02 PM
I watched it. WTF came out of my mouth a few times...

ChiefsFanatic
06-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Go rent the movie "Primer" and come back here and explain it to me. The movie is awesome, but I can't catch heads or tails from it. By comparison, 2001 is a cakewalk...

Good luck.

I watched it a couple of weeks ago, and it is one f'ed up movie.

Demonpenz
06-04-2006, 11:07 AM
donnie darko was a huge hit that movie rules

mcan
06-05-2006, 03:32 AM
This thread is OLDSCHOOL!

Anyway, much of Primer I was able to get as far as WHAT happens, but the whys and hows and whos are very convoluted. But like I said, the movie clearly has those things figured out, and I'm just not quick enough to get them in one sitting. I'd need to watch it again, which sadly, I probably won't do.

As for Darko, even if Frank isn't trying to get him out of the bed, why wake him up? The motivations behind these characters are wacky. The simplest answer, if he doesn't do this stuff, we don't have a story to tell, or a movie to make. So, THAT'S why.

Like I said, I get what the director is TRYING to tell me. I'm just not buying it. I don't think it works the way it should, and that's a damned shame because it IS a very cool movie, with great cinimatography and acting. It introduced me to Maggie Gyllenhal, and most of the supporting parts are played with great integrity (Swazey, Barrymore, Noah Wyle)... It also has a great sense of suburban nostalgia. It's really right on the mark with the time period and the attitude that the kids had in the late eighties. (I was a bit younger than these kids though). I think, in many ways that it captures "high school" better than almost any other movie ever set in a high school. The characters aren't terribly exaggerated, and I believe them.

That said, the PLOT of the movie falls in on itself, and the theme is therefore rendered moot on an intellectual level. It works on an emotional level, but this movie isn't just a fantasy movie, it's sci-fi. There should be an element or two of logic mixed in with the fantasy.

I do appreciate the effort you make not to hijack the Primer thread, but FU_K it, it was my thread anyway...