PDA

View Full Version : Posnanski: Look out, Gunther's got his men

tk13
05-01-2005, 01:15 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11533980.htm

Look out, Cunningham got his men
JOE POSNANSKI

If you know Gunther Cunningham at all, you already know what last year did to him. You don't need quotes to understand.

In his seven years in Kansas City as a defensive coordinator, then head coach, then coordinator again, Cunningham has never veiled his emotions. He has ranted and cried and babbled and inspired his team to play some great football. He coached dominant Chiefs defenses. He was head coach when Derrick Thomas died. He was hired, and he was fired. Always, his emotions were out there. You never needed an interpreter or mind reader to know what was bubbling inside him.

You know Gunther.

So, you don't need him to tell you that last year was the worst coaching year of his life. You don't need him to explain why. The Chiefs defense was all sorts of lousy two seasons ago, especially at the end of the year, and the Chiefs brought Cunningham back to save the day. He wasn't given new players to help him. No, instead, he was given a quest — he was Sir Galahad charged with pulling swords from stones and pulling big plays from the NFL's most porous defense.

Friends told him he couldn't do it; a coach needs players.

But Gunther said he would do it. “Failure is not an option,” he growled whenever someone asked how he could turn a bad defense into a good defense using the exact same players. He wanted to make it work so badly, he put together a defensive plan about twice as big as the 9/11 Commission Report. He came at the players with a feverish intensity pulled straight out of the Patton playbook.

There was one problem. Gunther's friends were right.

Not to get too technical, the defense had a lot of guys who could not play.

Of course, that's me talking. Gunther Cunningham would never say that. In fact, he didn't say much of anything, at least publicly. All last season, he privately banged his head against the wall and worked with his coaches to come up with a defensive shell game that might somehow stop offenses without the use of consistent defensive linemen, linebackers who could tackle, safeties who would hit or corners who could cover. It would have been a neat trick. Lance Burton would have been impressed.

He couldn't pull it off, of course. Gunther's not that good. Houdini was not that good.

So, no, you don't need Cunningham to tell you how lousy he felt, how lousy everyone felt when the Chiefs gave up 30 points week after week after week. You don't need him to explain how some weeks he would watch game film, and he wanted to throw up. And those were the good weeks. The bad weeks, he would sit in his office at 2 a.m. watching video of his defense giving up plays, and he would be trying to come up with something, anything. And he would realize that he was 58 years old, and he had spent his whole life putting his heart into football, he had spent much of his life trying to get Kansas City a football winner, and his defense couldn't stop anybody. And maybe for an instant he would think about hopping on a sailboat and just going wherever the wind took him.

You don't need him to tell you this:

“It was a very, very, very hard season,” he says in a weary voice.

When the season ended, Gunther Cunningham had a talk with Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson. These are two men who have been through a whole lot together — Peterson hired Cunningham, fired Cunningham, brought back Cunningham. They talked about a lot of things, and then at some point, Peterson asked Cunningham what he wanted, what he needed, to stop people. Cunningham gave him a list of players.

Peterson looked at the list. He said: “OK. Let's get it done.”

And the Chiefs went out and signed those players.

“I'm going to get emotional about this,” Cunningham says, and, yes, his voice chokes, and tears well up in his eyes. You know Gunther. “I know some people don't want to give Carl Peterson credit for anything. But I love that man, I'm telling you. He saved my life. We're going to turn back the clock now. We're going to make it fun for Kansas City fans to watch our defense play. It will be just like the old days.”

When you break it down, there were really only two problems with the Chiefs defense last season. They couldn't stop the run. And they couldn't stop the pass. If you want to measure bad defense, it's good to look at the old “yard per play” statistic. The Chiefs gave up 6.3 yards per play last season, by far the highest total in the NFL, nearly a half-yard more than the second-worst defense in football, the Tennessee Titans.

In other words, this is not a small remodeling job.

“Defense comes down to making plays,” Cunningham says. “You can't hide in this league. If you can't play, other teams will find you. If you have a weakness, other teams will exploit it. Football is not about excuses. You make the tackle or you don't. You get to the ball or you don't. Winners make plays. Losers talk about how close they were.”

This was the game plan — find playmakers. And Cunningham knew the Chiefs needed more than one or two playmakers; this team needed a full makeover. Cunningham wanted to begin with a linebacker who could run, make tackles and blitz the quarterback. Cunningham believes in a defense built around linebackers. He wanted Pittsburgh's Kendrell Bell, a 6-foot-1, 257-pound freight engine who has had some injury problems but has been a dominating force when healthy.

And the Chiefs signed Kendrell Bell.

“So much of defense is intimidation,” Cunningham says. “When we had those great defenses in the 1990s, with Derrick Thomas, Neil Smith, Dale Carter, James Hasty, we probably won some games just by walking on the field. We need some of that again. And man, when Kendrell Bell comes on the blitz, everybody knows it.”

Next, Cunningham wanted a shutdown corner, someone who would allow him to again play the sort of straight-up, man-to-man, in-your-face defense the Chiefs played in the 1990s. He gave Peterson a list of corners — Ty Law, Samari Rolle, Fred Smoot, etc. — and he would have been happy with any of them. But No. 1 on his list was Miami's Patrick Surtain, who has more interceptions the last five years than any cornerback in the NFL.

And the Chiefs traded for Patrick Surtain.

“Some people say Patrick Surtain is a gambler,” Cunningham says. “Well, if he's a gambler, then he's winning an awful lot of money. There are, in my mind, two kinds of defensive players. There are guys trying to play defense. And there are guys trying to win football games. Patrick Surtain is trying to win football games.”

He wanted a safety, someone who could get his hands on the ball. It's no secret that the Chiefs' biggest disappointment last season was the play of safeties Jerome Woods (who was the one defender to make the Pro Bowl in 2003) and Greg Wesley. The Chiefs had hoped to build their defense around those two young players — both signed huge six-year contract extensions in 2004 — and both took giant steps backward.

So the Chiefs signed Sammy Knight, who has 35 interceptions and nine forced fumbles in his eight-year career.

And finally, Cunningham really wanted Tennessee defensive end Carlos Hall. That was personal. Cunningham had watched Hall practice when he was coaching for the Titans. Hall has had an up-and-down career, but Cunningham sees a little bit of greatness in him.

“I see something special there,” Cunningham says. “I don't want to say too much about that. But I see something.”

So the Chiefs added four players and then drafted Texas linebacker Derrick Johnson, the consensus best linebacker in college football last year. So that's five likely starters this season — it's like a whole new defense.

And now that the players are in, you can see the joy on Cunningham's face.

“We have a whole lot of work to do, getting all these guys to play together and getting them all to understand what we're trying to do,” he says. “But I can tell you this: With this group, it will start looking like Chiefs football again. Everybody in this division — the Raiders, the Broncos, the Chargers, all of them — knows what I'm talking about. They've seen the players we got. They know. We're back.”

You know Gunther Cunningham. You know how emotional he is. You know that every day he looks out on the empty Arrowhead Stadium, and he imagines it filled with fans, all wearing red. He hears the echoes. He sees the Chiefs defense out there destroying offenses, like old times. He says he has the players to do that now.

And it gets him choked up.

“What this organization did — what Carl, all of our people, did — it's like a miracle. I'm telling you. As a coach, you can want players, but you know, realistically, that it's hard with the salary cap to get them. Well, we got them.

“Now, it's our job to make them into a great defense. We can do that. We will do that. I've got people coming up to me all the time, and they say: ‘Gun, when will it be like the old days? When will we start seeing the Chiefs defense again?' ”

Cunningham smiles again and swallows hard. You know Gunther.

“I just tell them to get ready,” he says. “It's coming. Get ready for the ride of your life.”

Count Zarth
05-01-2005, 01:25 AM
:)

Fairplay
05-01-2005, 02:00 AM
[url]“I just tell them to get ready,” he says. “It's coming. Get ready for the ride of your life.”

Im ready for the ride of my life....oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!

beer bacon
05-01-2005, 02:16 AM
Im ready for the ride of my life....oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!

Does the above post have homosexual undertones? Yay or nay? You be the judge!

Fairplay
05-01-2005, 02:19 AM

I don't think so.

mikey23545
05-01-2005, 03:05 AM
Let the season begin....

DaWolf
05-01-2005, 04:21 AM
Sounds like the same old Gunther. :rolleyes:

We'll see. I've heard so much talk the last 7 years I'll just wait until I see results.

“I see something special there,” Cunningham says. “I don't want to say too much about that. But I see something.”

Well we're about to find out if Gun is a better talent evaluator than the Tennessee Titans. Looking at Hall's stats, I am reminded of Hicks: Good first year, but not much after that. I hope Jared Allen doesn't fall into that same boat...

DJay23
05-01-2005, 05:50 AM
I love Gun for all of his heart and emotion, I just wish it could have been translated by his players last year. There is new hope and maybe this year's group will get the hint.

He was a little wacky when he was head coach, but damnit if he can't coach some D. I can't wait to see what he does with this version. I think it will be rough at first getting all the pieces fitted (I'm sure CP will take his time signing DJ).

htismaqe
05-01-2005, 06:15 AM
Cross-thread question:

When the season ended, Gunther Cunningham had a talk with Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson. These are two men who have been through a whole lot together — Peterson hired Cunningham, fired Cunningham, brought back Cunningham. They talked about a lot of things, and then at some point, Peterson asked Cunningham what he wanted, what he needed, to stop people. Cunningham gave him a list of players.

Do we have anything from the team that corroborates this, or is this just an assumption on JoPo's part?

C-Mac
05-01-2005, 06:51 AM
Cross-thread question:

Do we have anything from the team that corroborates this, or is this just an assumption on JoPo's part?

If your asking about the list, yes its been quoted several times by media and members of the staff.

C-Mac
05-01-2005, 06:53 AM
Well written article again JoPo :thumb:

|Zach|
05-01-2005, 06:54 AM
I think I remember CP mentioning this list as well.

Baby Lee
05-01-2005, 07:13 AM
And man, when Kendrell Bell comes on the blitz, everybody knows it.”
Couldn't you say that of every safety or corner blitz last year, and wasn't that the PROBLEM?!?!? ;)

OmahaChief
05-01-2005, 07:27 AM
JoPo writes the best articles of any KC Star reporter. Most might be homer articles but what he does best is evoke emotion from his readers. I love to read anything he writes.

I can't wait to see this defense, I sure hope it comes out firing on all cylinders but I am not naive enough to think they will be this wrecking crew from game one. I think it will take a bit of time and I hope people understand that.

If Gun can somehow light a fire under Fat Ass Sims and get Hicks to play well every game we might have a really good defense.

jcl-kcfan2
05-01-2005, 07:27 AM

No, but your question does. Are you trolling for some yes answers or something?????

the Talking Can
05-01-2005, 07:30 AM
Gun is great at getting you fired up.

But, imho, he has as much to prove as hist players.

BigRedChief
05-01-2005, 08:20 AM

He may not be a good head coach but Gunther can coach defense.

dtebbe
05-01-2005, 08:26 AM
Couldn't you say that of every safety or corner blitz last year, and wasn't that the PROBLEM?!?!? ;)

I disagree with that. Yes we have guys who can blitz, but we don't have guys who will take the QB out of his shoes when they get there. Bell will absolutly do that, just ask Trent Green.

DT

the Talking Can
05-01-2005, 08:29 AM

great, let's see it.....

Baby Lee
05-01-2005, 08:30 AM
I disagree with that. Yes we have guys who can blitz, but we don't have guys who will take the QB out of his shoes when they get there. Bell will absolutly do that, just ask Trent Green.

DT
I was more referring to the 'surprise' blitzes that you could see from Arrowhead's parking lot. Hell from the parking lot for Blue Ridge Mall. It was a feeble attempt at humor, ie maybe "knowing" someone is blitzing isn't all that great a feature.

yoswif
05-01-2005, 08:31 AM
Gunther's infatuation with Hall has been mentioned several times in the media recently. I can't help but think he'll be starting at LDE instead of Hicks.

The defensive tackles have to play like Joe Phillips and Dan Saleamua did or the playmakers added at LB are going to have a blocker in their face to deal with. If the DTs do their job, having Hall and Allen on the ends will make the guard/tackle gap easier to exploit by a pair of playmaker OLBs like Bell and DJ. Barber and Fujita might be good defenders but I don't think they are very effective in attack mode.

Baby Lee
05-01-2005, 08:32 AM
great, let's see it.....
Hey!!! Pssssttt!!! Gunther Vermiel and Peterson are all. .. GASP!!!. . . Republicans.

BL - sensing TC is nearing the edge. :p

chief52
05-01-2005, 08:35 AM

Very good point. Damn, those blitzes were tip off early. :banghead:

the Talking Can
05-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Hey!!! Pssssttt!!! Gunther Vermiel and Peterson are all. .. GASP!!!. . . Republicans.

BL - sensing TC is nearing the edge. :p

Gun has my "vote" but I think he has a lot to prove...he got the players he wanted, all of them...now I (we) (all chiefs fans) expect some results

DaWolf
05-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Cross-thread question:

Well, Gretz said this:

Obviously, the focus was on defense. As Peterson conferred with Kuharich, the team’s pro personnel director, and defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, a wish list developed on possible additions at three key positions: cornerback, linebacker and safety. Here’s who they wanted, in order of preference, among players they thought would be available:

Cornerback: Patrick Surtain, Samari Rolle, Ken Lucas, Ty Law and Kelly Herndon.
Linebacker: Julian Peterson, Kendrell Bell, Jeremiah Trotter and Ed Hartwell.
Safety: Dwight Smith, Donovan Darius and Sammy Knight.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/04/27/gretz_refocusing/

JoPo has a tendency to sugar things up a lot. But Gun may have said something to JoPo too. Of course Gun tends to overexaggerate too...

mlyonsd
05-01-2005, 09:14 AM
Aghh, spring is in the air, training camp just around the corner.

It's the time of year for articles like this. Optimism always runs high this time of year. But to me it boils down to Gun got the players he wanted and it's time to produce as long as none of them get hurt.

Get 'er done Gun, or I'll be calling for your head just like GROB.

DaWolf
05-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Aghh, spring is in the air, training camp just around the corner.

It's the time of year for articles like this. Optimism always runs high this time of year. But to me it boils down to Gun got the players he wanted and it's time to produce as long as none of them get hurt.

Get 'er done Gun, or I'll be calling for your head just like GROB.

Yeah, these guys have seriously set themselves up to be in a position where they have zero excuses anymore, what with the proclamation that the offseason couldn't have gone any better and how they got everyone on their list. NO EXCUSES...

shaneo69
05-01-2005, 09:52 AM
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see our run defense improving much with Hicks, Dalton, Sims (12 tackles), and Allen still starting on the line. I find it hard to believe that Gun made no attempt to improve this part of the defense. And he's still got Kawika Mitchell penciled in to start at MLB? I guess if we're able to get teams to 3rd and long, we'll be better, but with yards per rush at over 4.5 the past two years, I saw that as our biggest priority. Apparently, Gun didn't think so.

The other thing I find interesting is that Gun hasn't given any reasons as to why his two safeties, whom he praised constantly when he took the job, failed miserably last year and now he finds it necessary to replace at least one of them. Last offseason, he said that Woods had been lining up too close to the LOS under G Rob and it was an easy fix to get the problem corrected. And before re-signing Eric Hicks, I remember him mentioning that all he had to do was line Hicks up farther outside and he would return to double-digit sacks. What happened?

I was all for re-hiring Gunther to be DC, because I thought G Rob was horribly incompetent and still a B ronco at heart, but right now, I have about as much faith in Gun to turn this thing around as I did in Knobinson prior to his final season here. Everytime I start to get pumped up from Gun's soundbites, I have to remind myself not to believe the hype until I see it on the field.

Mr. Laz
05-01-2005, 09:55 AM
if i recall goonther said the same thing last year when he (apparently) wanted to keep woods,hicks etc.

in fact, he said the same thing when he was head coach

i have yet to see him even get this defense to tackle correctly.

glad he's motivated, but it's still just blowing smoke until he actually does it.

Rausch
05-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Yeah, these guys have seriously set themselves up to be in a position where they have zero excuses anymore, what with the proclamation that the offseason couldn't have gone any better and how they got everyone on their list. NO EXCUSES...

They better get some damned good doctors then because last year 1/2 the defense was hurt at one time or another. Our starters were average at best, so when you throw your 3rd CB, 2 string OLB, and 3rd string MLB out there...well, it's ugly.

Thig Lyfe
05-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Good article. Can't wait for the season to start!

B_Ambuehl
05-01-2005, 10:58 AM
and finally, Cunningham really wanted Tennessee defensive end Carlos Hall. That was personal. Cunningham had watched Hall practice when he was coaching for the Titans. Hall has had an up-and-down career, but Cunningham sees a little bit of greatness in him.

I'm glad to see Carlos Hall make something out of himself in NFL. I think what Gunther means is he is an athletic freak with loads of potential. Coming out of college he ran under a 4.5 fourty at 260 lbs. Had all sorts of off the field problems though in college and nobody thought he would do much in the NFL.

Ari Chi3fs
05-01-2005, 11:01 AM
“But I can tell you this: With this group, it will start looking like Chiefs football again. Everybody in this division — the Raiders, the Broncos, the Chargers, all of them — knows what I'm talking about. They've seen the players we got. They know. We're back.”

cdcox
05-01-2005, 12:15 PM
This thread is worthless without combat veterans.

Coogs
05-01-2005, 12:35 PM
So the Chiefs added four players and then drafted Texas linebacker Derrick Johnson, the consensus best linebacker in college football last year. So that's five likely starters this season — it's like a whole new defense.

:toast:

philfree
05-01-2005, 12:39 PM

So just out of curiosity what does "no excuses" mean? If we don't win it all everybody's fired? Or if we don't win a playoff game everybody's fired? Who's fault will it be if things don't go the way we want since Carl has delivered the players? Or don't you like the players we acquired? I'm not trying to be jerk I just curious.

PhilFree:arrow:

FloridaChief
05-01-2005, 12:42 PM
This thread is worthless without combat veterans.

ROFL

CoMoChief
05-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Does anyone think its weird for Gun to be on the sidelines this year instead of up in the booth? I think it's good that hes doing this, it just doesnt feel like the same ol Gun. I guess hes doing this go he can chew some ass face to face with players that are deciding to slack off. Go get em Gun!

philfree
05-01-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm glad to see Carlos Hall make something out of himself in NFL. I think what Gunther means is he is an athletic freak with loads of potential. Coming out of college he ran under a 4.5 fourty at 260 lbs. Had all sorts of off the field problems though in college and nobody thought he would do much in the NFL.

Maybe hell end up starting on the right with Allen stating on the left.

|Zach|
05-01-2005, 12:49 PM
I think the chewing ass on gameday thing is overblown. Getting in people's faces is great for practice but if you are prepared on gameday then are prepared. No amount of ass chewing will change that on the day off.

cookster50
05-01-2005, 12:49 PM
I wish I could apprentice under Gun. That would be fantastic.

Cochise
05-01-2005, 12:50 PM
I love you Gunther.

philfree
05-01-2005, 12:53 PM
I think the chewing ass on gameday thing is overblown. Getting in people's faces is great for practice but if you are prepared on gameday then are prepared. No amount of ass chewing will change that on the day off.

I agree but perhaps he can pump up the players, get our pass rushers fired up and smelling blood.

|Zach|
05-01-2005, 12:54 PM
I agree but perhaps he can pump up the players, get our pass rushers fired up and smelling blood.

I guess, if you can't pump yourself on game day then nobody else is going to do it for you. You are either prepared or you are not.

I think this move will do good things in being able to communicate adjustments to the team.

Cochise
05-01-2005, 12:56 PM
I guess, if you can't pump yourself on game day then nobody else is going to do it for you. You are either prepared or you are not.

I don't understand how a professional football player making what they make can be unmotivated.

Logical
05-01-2005, 12:57 PM
“But I can tell you this: With this group, it will start looking like Chiefs football again. Everybody in this division — the Raiders, the Broncos, the Chargers, all of them — knows what I'm talking about. They've seen the players we got. They know. We're back.”

Depending on whether that is mid 90s or early 2000s is the key. Teh no f3ar _efense if it is the latter. I have high hopes it will be at least a ghost of the 90s version.

Mr. Laz
05-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Does anyone think its weird for Gun to be on the sidelines this year instead of up in the booth? I think it's good that hes doing this, it just doesnt feel like the same ol Gun. I guess hes doing this go he can chew some ass face to face with players that are deciding to slack off. Go get em Gun!

no ... he's always been in the booth

it's where i want him too... i want him up high so he can see what's happening and call the proper plays.

if the defensive players can't get motivated without gunther than they are a problem.

Logical
05-01-2005, 01:04 PM

I personally think this has more to do with the defensive assistants. Perhaps this shows Gun really does not have faith in them to communicate what he wants to happen on the field.

|Zach|
05-01-2005, 01:08 PM
if the defensive players can't get motivated without gunther than they are a problem.
I have no idea what Gun could do with a player who is not motivated on the Sunday of an NFL game.

This defense has had a lot of problems. I have never seen motivation as one of them. If it is a problem then Gun coming to the sidelines will not help it.

Mr. Kotter
05-01-2005, 01:14 PM
...This defense has had a lot of problems. I have never seen motivation as one of them. ...

As someone who has played and coached the game, I'd humbly submit you are wrong. There are/were five or six players on this starting squad who were there to do nothing more that be "an NFL starter" and to draw their paycheck. Period.

It's not as simple as you want it or you don't'; but players can be motivated, and coaches can motivate. I've seen it too many times to say it doesn't happen.

CoMoChief
05-01-2005, 01:17 PM
no ... he's always been in the booth

it's where i want him too... i want him up high so he can see what's happening and call the proper plays.

I know hes always been in the booth, thats why I asked if it was weird to see him on the sidelines this year.

|Zach|
05-01-2005, 01:17 PM
During high school my team had 2 coaches. Both were good coaches...

One went through the week with really tough practices. You put in a lot of hard work and a lot of hours. It seems like on game day every week he would do something nuts or out of the blue to fire the team. Weather it be a speech or something different. He would do it every week pre-game.

The other one paid al ot of attention to detail. Everything had to work and be smooth. There was not a set time on practices, you did it until you got the desired effect. No details were skipped. Sometimes this was physically grueling. Sometimes the time was very long and at other times it was not. Each week before the games we didn't need any rah rah speech because we were prepared. He would go into the locker room and tell us to go to work.

Guess which coach led his team to an undefeated season, big class title, and national ranking in HS football.

CoMoChief
05-01-2005, 01:21 PM
During high school my team had 2 coaches. Both were good coaches...

One went through the week with really tough practices. You put in a lot of hard work and a lot of hours. It seems like on game day every week he would do something nuts or out of the blue to fire the team. Weather it be a speech or something different. He would do it every week pre-game.

The other one paid al ot of attention to detail. Everything had to work and be smooth. There was not a set time on practices, you did it until you got the desired effect. No details were skipped. Sometimes this was physically grueling. Sometimes the time was very long and at other times it was not. Each week before the games we didn't need any rah rah speech because we were prepared. He would go into the locker room and tell us to go to work.

Guess which coach led his team to an undefeated season, big class title, and national ranking in HS football.

Bob Beatty?!?!? LOL "I wanna win this for the parents, the faculty, the lunch ladies." "I've never wanted anything so badly."....................................(from the crowd) Beatty's God!!!!!!....(crowd applauses.)

CoMoChief
05-01-2005, 01:23 PM
I wish I knew where I could find that video clip. Brad Dunn showed that clip EVERY morning 1st period.

|Zach|
05-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Bob Beatty?!?!? LOL "I wanna win this for the parents, the faculty, the lunch ladies." "I've never wanted anything so badly."....................................(from the crowd) Beatty's God!!!!!!....(crowd applauses.)
ROFL I was kind of partial to a speech not many people heard during my freshman year in camp... He did this whole "USA won WWII because they play football" rant. It cracked me up.

The best motivational speaker by far was Spotts though. ROFL

|Zach|
05-01-2005, 01:25 PM
I wish I knew where I could find that video clip. Brad Dunn showed that clip EVERY morning 1st period.
I would give anything for it. I had it on computer years and years ago. I don't know; I liked the guy but I was in the minority. It was obvious it was best for him and the school to move on. He wasted one of the most talented football teams to grace a HS field in '98. Seems like it panned out ok though. BS has gotten 2 titles since he left and the school he went to Trinity has 1 or 2 big class Kyntucky titles.

CoMoChief
05-01-2005, 01:27 PM
What did Spotts say? Beatty's a character. Nothings better than to hear him chew Finkle's ass.

"Finkle god damnit!!!, quit standing around and causing cancer and go block somebody god damnit!"
-Bob Beatty-

CoMoChief
05-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Jamaar Mozey, Jeff Bolinger,Jon Garrison,Earl Jack, Brandon Lloyd. Yeah that team was LOADED. I really dont see how we didnt win it all. Didnt BSS beat us in the playoffs and then got waxed vs. Hazelwood East in the State title game?

Braincase
05-01-2005, 01:31 PM
I can tell you this... my friends that are Bronco fans haven't exactly been running smaque for the upcoming season.

|Zach|
05-01-2005, 01:31 PM
What did Spotts say? Beatty's a character. Nothings better than to hear him chew Finkle's ass.

"Finkle god damnit!!!, quit standing around and causing cancer and go block somebody god damnit!"
-Bob Beatty-
It was long, only in front of the defensive guys that would be on the field before the South game our senior year. It was a 5 min tirade where he was literally yelling and spitting. It was funny because it started out so calm. 30 mins before a game the defensive guys who will be on the filed go into a room with the defensive coaches and they run through very simple stuff to get your mind clear and working. He was showing different formations and what we do something but then he says. "but if they line up in this that means they think you are a pussy Billy Beyer. And he went into this whole thing about how if they line up in a certain offense they think different players are soft and pare pussies...

Then he went on a whole rant about how there isn't a single player on Blue Springs South's team that could start on our defense. It was pretty interesting.

|Zach|
05-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Jamaar Mozey, Jeff Bolinger,Jon Garrison,Earl Jack, Brandon Lloyd. Yeah that team was LOADED. I really dont see how we didnt win it all. Didnt BSS beat us in the playoffs and then got waxed vs. Hazelwood East in the State title game?
We lost to BSS but I don't think they went to state.

We went 8-3 that year.

You have a WR that went to Illinois and is now in the NFL
A defensive lineman that ended up starting center at Nebraska for 2 years.
An OLman that played no a national championship DII team.
A QB that played at Dartmouth
Countless all staters and small school players
1 guy that was a 2 time heavyweight wrestling champion and another future heavyweight champion.

They really screwed the ppoch that year. ROFL

CoMoChief
05-01-2005, 01:37 PM
I think it would be a good game against 2001 team vs. 1998 team. 2001 team would win I think due to a hell of a defense. Ive never seen any other HS team that dominated a season the way they did.

CoMoChief
05-01-2005, 01:38 PM
We lost to BSS but I don't think they went to state.

We went 8-3 that year.

You have a WR that went to Illinois and is now in the NFL
A defensive lineman that ended up starting center at Nebraska for 2 years.
An OLman that played no a national championship DII team.
A QB that played at Dartmouth
Countless all staters and small school players
1 guy that was a 2 time heavyweight wrestling champion and another future heavyweight champion.

They really screwed the ppoch that year. ROFL

I'll look it up because Im pretty sure they lost in the title game. That was the years they had Mike Overstreet.

milkman
05-01-2005, 01:55 PM

I wonder if that is really the truth.

To me, Gun has been inconsistent throughout his career.
One season, he'd have one of the best Ds in the league, the next it would drop off, followed by another great season, which would then be followed by another so-so season.

Actually, he's been very consistent in that regard.
On again, off again.

I really thought, because of this pattern of consistent inconsistency, even with lesser talent, he'd get improved play from Spinner's D in his first year back.

DaWolf
02-09-2008, 05:33 PM
“What this organization did — what Carl, all of our people, did — it's like a miracle. I'm telling you. As a coach, you can want players, but you know, realistically, that it's hard with the salary cap to get them. Well, we got them.

“Now, it's our job to make them into a great defense. We can do that. We will do that. I've got people coming up to me all the time, and they say: ‘Gun, when will it be like the old days? When will we start seeing the Chiefs defense again?' ”

Cunningham smiles again and swallows hard. You know Gunther.

“I just tell them to get ready,” he says. “It's coming. Get ready for the ride of your life.”

Hooray Gun!!!!! :rolleyes:

Mr. Laz
02-09-2008, 05:35 PM
if i recall goonther said the same thing last year when he (apparently) wanted to keep woods,hicks etc.

in fact, he said the same thing when he was head coach

i have yet to see him even get this defense to tackle correctly.

glad he's motivated, but it's still just blowing smoke until he actually does it.

goonther is always talking out his ass ... nothing has change. He just has a defensive head coach holding his hand now.

the Talking Can
02-09-2008, 05:45 PM
great bump

Gun has been saying this crap forever...HE chose those players and HE couldn't make them into a good defense...HE is responsible...and HE needs to get gone...

the Talking Can
02-09-2008, 05:47 PM

god damn i is smart

:)

the Talking Can
02-09-2008, 05:50 PM
And finally, Cunningham really wanted Tennessee defensive end Carlos Hall. That was personal. Cunningham had watched Hall practice when he was coaching for the Titans. Hall has had an up-and-down career, but Cunningham sees a little bit of greatness in him.

I see something too....an idiot

Bowser
02-09-2008, 05:50 PM
I wonder if Derrick Thomas, Neil Smith, James Hasty, Dale Carter, Dan Saleamua, and Tracy Simien had ANY idea how far and for how many years their legacy would carry Gunther and his career.

the Talking Can
02-09-2008, 05:52 PM
I wonder if Derrick Thomas, Neil Smith, James Hasty, Dale Carter, Dan Saleamua, and Tracy Simien had ANY idea how far and for how many years their legacy would carry Gunther and his career.

they deserve royalties for their creation

DaneMcCloud
02-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Well, Gretz said this:

Obviously, the focus was on defense. As Peterson conferred with Kuharich, the team’s pro personnel director, and defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, a wish list developed on possible additions at three key positions: cornerback, linebacker and safety. Here’s who they wanted, in order of preference, among players they thought would be available:

Cornerback: Patrick Surtain, Samari Rolle, Ken Lucas, Ty Law and Kelly Herndon.
Linebacker: Julian Peterson, Kendrell Bell, Jeremiah Trotter and Ed Hartwell.
Safety: Dwight Smith, Donovan Darius and Sammy Knight.

JoPo has a tendency to sugar things up a lot. But Gun may have said something to JoPo too. Of course Gun tends to overexaggerate too...

Look at that list of free agents. How freakin' pathetic have ALL of those signings been, save one: Julian Peterson.

I sure hope it's true that the Chiefs will no longer rely on free-agency to fill their needs. It's been an endless circle-jerk this entire decade.

FringeNC
02-09-2008, 06:19 PM
What is seldom mentioned is that Gun's 2004 defense was much worse than Robinson's 2003 unit with the same players. Instead of getting a shopping list, Gun should have been shit-canned after his 2004 debacle.

milkman
02-09-2008, 06:38 PM
What is seldom mentioned is that Gun's 2004 defense was much worse than Robinson's 2003 unit with the same players. Instead of getting a shopping list, Gun should have been shit-canned after his 2004 debacle.

Carl forgot how to use the internet.

Count Zarth
02-09-2008, 10:16 PM
You guys fail to realize we had one of the best defenses in the NFL last year.

The ONLY stat that matters is TDs allowed. We gave up 28. Only three teams allowed fewer.

I'm having trouble understanding why people are so disgruntled with Gunther right now. Has he had his issues getting us to where we are? Yes.

But last year we allowed only 18.6 points per game while the defense was compenating for the league's WORST offense. I don't see that as an issue.

Defensive PPG allowed during Gunther's tenure as DC since returning:

2004 - 25.8
2005 - 19.5
2006 - 18.9
2007 - 18.6

If we draft Ellis and get a couple corners that can cover man to man while the offense improves, I bet we'll have a great defense next year.

Defensive PPG allowed by the SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS:

New York - 19.7

Ari Chi3fs
02-09-2008, 10:45 PM
what a crock of shit that I just read this... then checked the date. I was confused while reading it.

DAMN YOOUUU BUMPER MOTHER ****ER@!!@#E$4443

Cochise
02-09-2008, 10:46 PM
You guys fail to realize we had one of the best defenses in the NFL last year.

The ONLY stat that matters is TDs allowed. We gave up 28. Only three teams allowed fewer.

Too bad 28 touchdowns in 16 games was still enough for us to lose 12 times.

"One of the best defenses in the NFL" was 28th in rushing yards per carry against. "One of the best defense in the NFL" was also 28th in rushing yards per game against.

"One of the best defenses in the NFL" was 21st in yards per pass attempt against.

Only three teams had fewer pass attempts by their opponents during the season. You would think that "one of the best defenses in the NFL" might be prone to put opponents in passing situations from time to time.

"One of the best defenses in the NFL" was also third from last in the NFL in takeaways.

You'd have to be "one of the biggest idiots in the world" to think this team was anything more than a mediocre defense with a terrible offense and terrible special teams combined with terrible coaching.

28th against the run, I guess, is an improvement, since our run defense was merely ghastly, compared with the unspeakably ghastly defenses of the Vermeil years

Count Zarth
02-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Touchdowns allowed is the ONLY STAT that matters. The rest is fluff.

tk13
02-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Yeah, turnovers don't matter. :spock: Apparently they should just forgo the playoff system and hand the Lombardi to the team that allows the fewest touchdowns.

Cochise
02-09-2008, 10:54 PM

It's easily explained, if you take off your fanboi foam finger, without having to go through the mental gymnastics required to believe that the group of schmucks we watched this year was "one of the best defenses in the NFL"

Bowser
02-09-2008, 10:54 PM

That statement made Rufus Dawes smile.

Cochise
02-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Yeah, turnovers don't matter. :spock: Apparently they should just forgo the playoff system and hand the Lombardi to the team that allows the fewest touchdowns.

I just figured out that Bill Gates must be the smartest person in the history of the human race.

Count Zarth

Pretty tough to get turnovers when the opposing team is ahead all the time and hardly passing at all because your offense sucks so bad.

milkman

That's true to some extent.

However, if you can't keep teams from moving the ball up and down the field, even if you keep them out of the end zone, over the course of a game, and a season, a defense wears down.

KCChiefsFan88
02-09-2008, 10:57 PM
The rest is fluff.

And of course you are the expert in fluff since you serve as Dictator Carl and Athan's personal fluffer.

You pretty much know your life is going nowhere and you are a pathetic loser when you call someone like Athan "boss".

J Diddy
02-10-2008, 01:58 AM
And of course you are the expert in fluff since you serve as Dictator Carl and Athan's personal fluffer.

You pretty much know your life is going nowhere and you are a pathetic loser when you call someone like Athan "boss".

I thought you guys were friends

BigRock
02-10-2008, 04:50 AM
Says the guy who's breath smells like Mike Martz's taint.

The Bad Guy
02-10-2008, 06:08 AM
Pretty tough to get turnovers when the opposing team is ahead all the time and hardly passing at all because your offense sucks so bad.

Your football wisdom continues to impress..

So now we can only get TO's when passing? Did the NFL outlaw fumbles as a turnover?

Moron.

Coogs
02-10-2008, 07:58 AM
Great Bump! :toast:

I really can't believe there is anyone left on the Gun bandwagon. He should have been let go when Herm came in. The good news is once Gun is let go, Herm will probably be going with him. The bad news is that we will have to wait another year or two for that to happen, and then it will take another couple of years for the new regime to bring in their players.

1970's and 1980' anyone?

rad
02-10-2008, 08:57 AM

So now we can only get TO's when passing? Did the NFL outlaw fumbles as a turnover?

Moron.

Wouldn't you say it's harder to force a fumble while a team is running the ball than to get a pick when a team is under pressure to move the chains with the pass?

Count Zarth
02-10-2008, 09:00 AM

Moron.

Frank, you know as well as anyone here that it's easier to force turnovers when the other team is forced to pass.

Gunther said as much in his interview.

Cochise
02-10-2008, 09:04 AM
LMAO they rank 28th against the run and 21st against the pass, yet team shill goatse will defend them to the death as being one of the best defenses in the NFL

Count Zarth
02-10-2008, 09:05 AM
LMAO they rank 28th against the run and 21st against the pass, yet team shill goatse will defend them to the death as being one of the best defenses in the NFL

Numbers can be skewed by the overall performance of the team.

Sully
02-10-2008, 09:06 AM
When a team is up by a winning margin, in most cases, they aren't trying to score touchdowns, but trying to run out the clock. That's why our TDs against were so low.

Count Zarth
02-10-2008, 09:09 AM
When a team is up by a winning margin, in most cases, they aren't trying to score touchdowns, but trying to run out the clock. That's why our TDs against were so low.

That's a valid point, and one I actually made in another thread. If the offense improves to 22-23 PPG, it will be interesting to see if the defense gives up more points.