PDA

View Full Version : Merrill: Eric Warfield - Long way home

tk13
05-01-2005, 01:17 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11534372.htm

Long way home
Chiefs cornerback Eric Warfield is finding himself again while under house arrest

By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star

The doorbell rings three times, and Eric Warfield doesn't answer. Hip-op music thumps from the basement. Three cars are parked outside, and a brand-new charcoal-gray Range Rover sits in the garage.

A woman answers and calls out to Warfield. He's in there somewhere. The Chiefs' life of the party eventually emerges, paper towels in hand, eyeballing a mess from Nelly. He leans over and scoops up a pile of doggy do on a rug under the table. Nelly, his new Chihuahua puppy, hasn't learned the finer points of potty training.

“I found the dog on the Internet,” Warfield says. “I miss shopping.”

The Kansas City-area malls are missing Warfield. He dropped $1,500 on a Louis Vuitton bag for his rodent-size dog and $6,100 more for a gold-and-diamond collar. Warfield gasped when they ran the credit card online. He thought the collar was $5,000 cheaper.

The old Warfield, the one who drank and partied, probably wouldn't have cared. He'd fly off to Las Vegas, on a couple of hours' notice, bring some friends, and eat and drink and gamble until his wallet hurt. It had to be spontaneous.

Now, confined to an unforgiving schedule, Warfield eases back in his bed most afternoons, holds his dog, and flips his 61-inch plasma TV between ESPN and “America's Funniest Home Videos.” On a late afternoon last week, the sun played through the windows of his Lee's Summit home and found a man stuck inside with a 4x3-inch box strapped to his ankle.

This is Eric Warfield on house arrest.

The Chiefs' cornerback logged day 47 on Thursday. His whole offseason has been about paying back, about surrendering his freedom and his will. He served 28 days in rehab, then 10 days in jail. He's got a month left of his 80-day house arrest. Three DUIs in four years put him here.

“I guess I don't want to make it sound too good,” he says, “because I'm on house arrest and the judge will think it's all glitz and glory for Warfield over at his house.”

There are, of course, worse places to serve time. Warfield's house is a testosterone playground, complete with big-screen TVs, four bedrooms, two bars, a movie screen, a hot tub, a pool table and 5,000 square feet to roam. The place is so big, his electronic ankle monitor has gone off as he's walked around certain parts of the house.

Warfield pulls up the leg on his sweats to show the device. It's a constant reminder that he doesn't want to drink anymore.

“My whole life is exposed to the public, and I'm trying not to hide,” he says. “I've accepted what I've done. I realize my mistakes. I realize I got off of the two previous ones because I had the money to pay off the court fines. Money can't get you out of this one.”

Warfield avoids his garage. It's clean and spacious, large enough that several motorized bikes get lost in one corner. It's also the part of the house he spends the least time in these days.

He opens the door from inside and points to the new Range Rover. He bought it a couple of months ago. He hasn't even sat in the driver's seat yet.

“I love Range Rovers,” Warfield says. “Of all the cars I've driven, that's probably the most luxurious.”

Had Warfield stayed out of his garage on the night of Sept. 19, he might not be in this mess. He'd gone home after the Chiefs lost to Carolina and went to bed, like he did after every football game.

His brothers were in town for the game, and Warfield hadn't disappointed. He had two interceptions that afternoon. But later, they were bored. Warfield's mom woke him. Tend to your guests, she said.

“They had never been to a professional game,” Warfield says. “I thought I'd take them out to hang out with some of the players.”

Single and 28, Warfield was known for his late-night lifestyle. When the players wanted a midnight session of “Madden 2004,” it often went down at Warfield's. A night on the town? Warfield could do it up.

And when the drinking got out of control, a handful of Warfield's friends often tried to take his keys. They were usually unsuccessful.

In the early hours of Sept. 20, he left the bar with a female friend. She got behind the wheel of his Mercedes. They pulled off the freeway for gas, Warfield says, and his friend said she couldn't drive anymore. She'd had a DUI the week before.

“So I took it upon myself to go ahead and get us home,” he says. “As soon as we got on the freeway, I saw those lights.”

Warfield was stopped by Overland Park police for speeding and not staying within his lane of traffic. His blood alcohol was later tested at 0.189 percent, more than twice the limit of 0.08. On a stretch of Interstate 435 near Mission Road, Eric Warfield was arrested for the third time in his life.

Facing adversity and uncertainty, Warfield played out the 2004 season, then voluntarily checked himself into Valley Hope Treatment Center in Atchison, Kan. On the way to rehab, he bought a month's worth of supplies at a local Wal-Mart.

“The first couple of days were hard to deal with,” Warfield says. “Just the simple fact that I play football and going through the small town. … Most people knew about my situation. They knew what I was there for.”

With hesitation, Warfield stood up in front of a group of strangers and said he was an alcoholic.

“I made it through successfully, but it'll make you open your eyes to what could come if you stay with the drinking and drugging,” he says. “I mean, you had people there with severe situations. … People who have drank their whole lives. People there who started off when they were little kids.”

Warfield checked out on Feb. 16, a more resolved man.

On March 3, his 29th birthday, he was sentenced to “shock time” in the Johnson County jail. Waiting for their own cases to be called, more than a dozen inmates watched.

The closet just outside Warfield's master bedroom is, well, a room unto itself. It holds about half of his 400 pairs of shoes. And, he says, it's as big as his jail cell.

For 10 days, Warfield was confined to an 8-foot-by-7-foot space. His bed was a mat on top of a steel frame. The multimillionaire who employs a personal cook ate beans for dinner. Breakfast was the best meal of the day — toast, cereal and an orange.

“The only thing rough about it was the food,” he says. “I've come to be a picky eater, so I probably lost a little weight when I was there.”

Warfield began reading books. He hadn't had the time or inclination before, but he finished three of them in jail. Now, he reads to pass the time. On a nightstand next to his bed, there are five books — two copies of the Bible, Bill Clinton's My Life, Alcoholics Anonymous, and Living with a Chihuahua.

About 10 feet from the nightstand, a 3-foot teddy bear rests on the floor of Warfield's room. It's near a picture of his 8-year-old niece. The frame says, “I love my uncle.”

As he sat in jail, hungry for a good meal and redemption, Warfield thought about the kids.

His mother raised foster children when Warfield was growing up in Arkansas. She still operates a foster home in Texarkana. Warfield also forged a relationship with a group of foster children in Kansas City, buying eight tickets a week for them to come to games. On Tuesday nights, he'd get pizza and take them for tours of Arrowhead Stadium.

The week after he was arrested last year, some of the kids asked what happened. He didn't know what to say, other than he had made a mistake.

“That's the hardest part,” he says. “The kids look up to you. They expect so much. It's kind of like you let them down.”

Warfield's living room is contemporary-meets-Aztec-meets-GQ. Take away the framed Chiefs jersey — Warfield is collecting a jersey of each of his teammates — and it almost looks too stylish for a bachelor.

He's sitting on his leather couch, waiting for his teammates. His house is still a central meeting place. The boys come by around 5 p.m. usually. They play video games, cards and dominoes. Sometimes it goes until 3 a.m. The rules are simple — nobody, teammate or a friend of a friend, can bring alcohol in here. It would violate Warfield's probation. Now, the bars once stocked with liquor are loaded with club soda and 12-packs of Hawaiian Punch.

Warfield is required to be at home from 2 p.m. until morning. He passes the time watching “America's Funniest Home Videos.”

“It's funny,” he says. “It's a good ab workout, too, because you laugh so hard.”

Cornerback Benny Sapp lives with Warfield. So does Sammy Knight, one of the newest members of the secondary. Warfield walks upstairs past their bedrooms and notices that neither of them knows how to make a bed.

With the Chiefs, there are two types of social structure, offensive lineman Chris Bober says: the married guys and the unmarried guys. If you've got a family, you stay for a drink or stay at home altogether. If you're single … you inevitably hang with Warfield.

Just after Warfield was arrested, another one of his roomies, former college teammate Octavious McFarlin, dumped more than $1,000 worth of booze into the trash. Warfield was mad. He wanted to give it away.

“I don't miss much about the nightlife,” Warfield says. “It was fun and I enjoyed it, but it got me in some situations that have affected me as a public figure and affected me financially. And it's also affected me as a football player.

“I mean, I've gone this long without it. Drinking is not a necessity to me. It was just a part of the night, going out and being with friends. I've been out many a time and haven't had a drink and still had a good night.”

Warfield attends mandatory AA meetings and rehab aftercare. John Fougere, public information officer for the Missouri Department of Corrections, says Warfield has been doing everything that is asked of him.

“That sometimes can be one of the things offenders have problems with,” Fougere says. “They won't show up (for meetings) and blow it off. Up to this point, he's been very responsible.”

Warfield says he won't drive until next year, even if the state says he can. He has a limousine service pick him up each morning during offseason workouts. His ankle monitor is programmed not to go off from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. while he's at Arrowhead.

The monitor is a topic of conversation among the Chiefs. Warfield shows it to everyone. He's not ashamed. Warfield also brings something else to his workouts: Nelly. The dog is its own spectacle, arriving stylishly in the Louis Vuitton bag.

The dog enjoys its freedom in the afternoons. Back at home, Nelly runs around the floor of the living room, biting at shoelaces, yipping at nothing in particular.

Mirrors are everywhere upstairs. In the bathroom near the hot tub. On the walls over his bed. It is here, alone in his room, that Warfield does most of his reflecting. He sees himself getting stronger and smarter all the time.

Once a week, Warfield plops down in front of his bathroom mirror and gets his hair cut. Last Thursday, his barber walked in without knocking, grabbed some apple cake out of the refrigerator and proceeded with his house call. Such is Warfield's predicament.

“I've noticed changes in Eric,” says DeJuan Bonds, who owns Napps Barbershop in Olathe and doesn't mind driving out to Lee's Summit for his friend. “This has definitely opened his eyes. … I wouldn't say he's living the fast life, I'd just say he's enjoying his life.”

Warfield and Bonds met in 1998 and immediately clicked. Bonds says the cornerback is overly generous. Warfield, an admitted shopaholic, never tries things on. If something doesn't fit, if he doesn't like the way it looks in the mirror, he just gives it away. He lets Bonds rummage through his closet for sneakers and clothes.

There is one thing Warfield can't give. He can't give away his freedom so easily next time.

“It just started off with money, being single with no responsibilities and just enjoying the nightlife,” he says. “The worst part of it was knowing the situation, knowing I shouldn't have driven my car. … Those were the chances I took.”

The afternoon is fading, and Warfield welcomes it. Another day served. When this is all over, when he can walk through his front door without constraints, he wants to go play golf, go shopping and visit his mom. Maybe he'll take little Nelly for a walk. It's a big world out there.

For Warfield, at least for now, that world is roughly 5,000 square feet.

http://www.kansascity.com/images/kansascity/kansascitystar/news/WARFIELD_SP_042805_MLR_4843F.jpg
MIKE RANSDELL/The Kansas City Star

Count Zarth
05-01-2005, 01:33 AM
Sounds like he's got his shit together finally.

Fairplay
05-01-2005, 02:18 AM
Hes an angel compared to Leonard Little.

mikey23545
05-01-2005, 03:19 AM
He doesn't sound like he's got it together to me.

One of these days, when his playing days are past and the million dollar checks are no longer rolling in, he may end up one of these ex-players you read about who are penniless and hustling to keep a roof over their heads.

Something tells me his drinking and his profligate spending habits are not unrelated.

DaWolf
05-01-2005, 04:28 AM
When a dude is spending over a grand on a dog collar, he's got issues.

Warfield just better make sure he has his act together out there on the field this year because with surtain aboard, Warfield is going to go back to being the one who gets picked on by QB's...

Bob Dole
05-01-2005, 05:51 AM
The writer should have checked in with BSPimpDude and gotten some additional insight (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2415423&postcount=26).

All Im saying is that I seriously hope thats not your dog. If it is, youre definitely a homo in anyones book. Taco dogs are for women.

ZootedGranny
05-01-2005, 06:07 AM
Good luck ever trying to get Warfield to restructure...and why am I not surprised he finds America's Funniest Home Videos hilarious?

mikey23545
05-01-2005, 06:17 AM
The writer should have checked in with BSPimpDude and gotten some additional insight (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2415423&postcount=26).

Heh...He told me I was gay because I had cats as well as a dog....

He sure seems to see gays everywhere....What is that psychology term I'm trying to remember?...

Bob Dole
05-01-2005, 06:18 AM

He sure seems to see gays everywhere....What is that psychology term I'm trying to remember?...

Phuqtard.

htismaqe
05-01-2005, 06:18 AM

ROFL

JOhn
05-01-2005, 06:42 AM
Sounds like he's got his shit together finally.
:shake:

I tend to doubt he has had a magical and complete turnaround.

What I think is more likely is he got a rude awaking, and realized he better check in for treatment if he had any hopes of leniency from the court.

“I mean, I've gone this long without it. Drinking is not a necessity to me. It was just a part of the night, going out and being with friends. I've been out many a time and haven't had a drink and still had a good night.”

That sounds to me like he still hasn't completely accepted that he does have a problem with alcohol, instead still simply paying lip service to the whole situation.

I hope for his sake I'm wrong and he really does "get it" this time, but only time will tell.

Gav Daddy
05-01-2005, 06:42 AM
the warfield story wasnt.

i personally know of people who didnt have money who were charged with a felony(johnson and jackson co.'s) under the habitual driving violator's act for their 3rd dewey. they actually went to prison. so his comment about not being able to buy himself out of his latest dewey, doesnt resonate too well for me. his money gets him a 10 day shock sentence in the county.........

joe blow, if he is lucky, gets a 120 day shock treatment in the big house. if they are lucky, at that point the judge will review their case and give them bench probation. any lawyers here?

you also gotta wonder where a guys head is who owns 400 pairs of shoes. LOL!!!! eric marcos? LOL!!!!

from the sounds of his spending habits, he better read the greg hill article. LOL!!!!

mikey23545
05-01-2005, 07:09 AM
Phuqtard.

ROFL

the Talking Can
05-01-2005, 07:28 AM

republican?

OmahaChief
05-01-2005, 07:31 AM
I picked up on the money issue as well. Just a typical athlete that has not concept of what real life is anymore. He once might have had nothing and now that he has money he spends like no tomorrow. This is the exact reason most of us can not relate to athletes. We pay $85 for a ticket to see a game, $25 bucks in parking and $50 bucks in refreshments and it hurts our pocket book. Then we have to listen about some athlete that spends money like no tomorrow. 400 pair of shoes and never tries on clothes, $6500 collar for a dog. Effin loser if you ask me.

Baby Lee
05-01-2005, 07:33 AM
Hes an angel compared to Leonard Little.
That's just stupid.

Chiefnj
05-01-2005, 07:35 AM
I don't think he's got it together yet:

“I made it through successfully, but it'll make you open your eyes to what could come if you stay with the drinking and drugging,” he says. “I mean, you had people there with severe situations. … People who have drank their whole lives. People there who started off when they were little kids.”

He doesn't think he has a bad problem, all those other people were bad, not him.

he is also still the center of the party life. I thought the big thing in AA was how you were supposed to change your "friends" and all the bad influences, etc.

A couple of things in the article that I felt were interesting - Sammy Knight and Sapp living with him. I wonder if Knight is supposed to be a mentor, or if he is a party guy also.

The other thing I felt was a little odd was "His brothers were in town for the game ...“They had never been to a professional game,” Warfield says. “I thought I'd take them out to hang out with some of the players.” The guy has been in the league for 7 years and the first time some of his family members went to a game was last year? I guess they are not a close family.

Bob Dole
05-01-2005, 07:41 AM
The other thing I felt was a little odd was "His brothers were in town for the game ...“They had never been to a professional game,” Warfield says. “I thought I'd take them out to hang out with some of the players.” The guy has been in the league for 7 years and the first time some of his family members went to a game was last year? I guess they are not a close family.

Bob Dole is fairly certain that they aren't biological brothers, but were fellow foster children of Rose's.

It's unfortunate that the author chose not to say much of anything about the good things Eric does with his money and status.

mikey23545
05-01-2005, 08:44 AM
republican?

Luckily, Bob Dole's term covers both you and him...

Wile_E_Coyote
05-01-2005, 08:55 AM
A bigger dog could take care of it's self. He's 28, the Chihuahua sounds more like the dude wants to be a dad

shaneo69
05-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Quote: "In the early hours of Sept. 20, he left the bar with a female friend. She got behind the wheel of his Mercedes. They pulled off the freeway for gas, Warfield says, and his friend said she couldn't drive anymore. She'd had a DUI the week before."

Nice.

Sure-Oz
05-01-2005, 10:04 AM
****in moron, get a DD or something...and spending 1000's of dollars on a bag for your dog, who are you paris hilton??

Bootlegged
05-01-2005, 10:06 AM
I wonder if he fell down during the interview..

dirk digler
05-01-2005, 10:07 AM
I really really feel bad for Warfield living in his 5,000 + square home and his $6500 dog collar. Man his life must be rough.

jspchief
05-01-2005, 10:20 AM
That article is crap. What the hell is the point?

Are we supposed to feel bad for the "price" that Warfield is paying for his actions? Being confined to house parties and video games on a plasma must be horrible.

Is he supposed to sound remorseful? He sounds like someone who's remorseful that he got caught, not that he committed a crime.

The article bounces around between a "lifestyles" fluff piece, a reformed criminal story, and a "Mo money, Mo problems" sob story.

Worthless drivel. What a waste of ink.

siberian khatru
05-01-2005, 10:25 AM
The amount of money these guys make is just breathtaking. The salary figures don't sink in until you see the bling they buy with it. Good Lord.

yoswif
05-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Not sure whether Sammy Knight living with Warfield is a positive. Hopefully, his leadership in the lockerroom will carry over to the hangout for single Chiefs, Warfield's house.

go bowe
05-01-2005, 10:31 AM
The amount of money these guys make is just breathtaking. The salary figures don't sink in until you see the bling they buy with it. Good Lord.it's a lot, but you haven't seen "bling" until you hang out with people that have their own yachts, jet planes, and vacation houses on several continents...

that's bling...

(of course, those folks have the usual jewelry bling as well...)

eazyb81
05-01-2005, 10:43 AM
I picked up on the money issue as well. Just a typical athlete that has not concept of what real life is anymore. He once might have had nothing and now that he has money he spends like no tomorrow. This is the exact reason most of us can not relate to athletes. We pay $85 for a ticket to see a game, $25 bucks in parking and $50 bucks in refreshments and it hurts our pocket book. Then we have to listen about some athlete that spends money like no tomorrow. 400 pair of shoes and never tries on clothes, $6500 collar for a dog. Effin loser if you ask me.

:thumb:

This article cements Warfield as my most hated Chief. This guy is just a loser and I could care less what happens to him anymore. I am hoping someone like Benny Sapp, Julian Battle, or Alphonso Hodge can take over his spot in the starting lineup once Paris Warfield gets his 4 game suspension. This guy is a joke and an embarassment to the organization.

CoMoChief
05-01-2005, 10:47 AM
I miss hoopin it up with him at 24 hour fitness in Independence. I hope he finally quits getting DUI's and such.

B_Ambuehl
05-01-2005, 10:49 AM
It's funny you see and hear the same story enough times and you can simply fill in the blanks into the future:

An interview with 40 yr old Eric Warfield by Real Sports in January 2017 "I had it all...the fame, the fortune, the women, the recognition.....I was the most popular guy on the team and known as the party guy.......I got injured and when I came back people questioned my age and durability......I got cut by ____ and signed on with ___ for 1 year but didn't get much PT. Here I am in a city where I don't know anyone...feeling bad about myslef....so I went back to the alcohol and drugs......and you know the rest

Bryant Gumbel: You got arrested with your 4th DUI/DWI and subsequently cut by ____. What happened next?

Warfield: The next 3 years is a blur. All I remember is my agent calling me one morning and telling me I don't have any money left.

Gumbel: And what happened next?

Warfield: I ended up on the streets blah blah....until I found god....miracle of miracles I ran into my former high school defensive secondary coach and he gave me a job mowing lawns for $8.00 and hour.....he took me in and got me back on my feet. Got me going to church and away from the alcohol and drugs. I started work doing counseling with inner city children. I travel around the country talking to young people about my story and the dangers of alcohol blah blah blah

Let's hope I'm wrong.

DaneMcCloud
05-01-2005, 02:25 PM
This wasn't supposed to be a "feel good" article. This was an expose' on Eric Warfield's life and lifestyle, just like an article you'd see in People or Us magazine. Athletes today are absolutely no different than Hollywood celebrities. They get paid millions of dollars to entertain and unfortunately, despite their individual talents, not all of them are too bright. If you replaced the name "Eric Warfield" with Chris Klein or any other under 30 Hollywood celeb, no one here would "hate" him, nor would they want him to go away nor would they not expect it. It's as part of the lifestyle.

The only thing that I can't figure out about this guy is why isn't he smart enough to take a cab or a limo every time he goes out? I live 1.5 miles from Hollywood & Vine and every single time we go out, we always cab it. Hell, we take limo's to LAX so that we can have a few drinks before and after each flight!

Dane
~Not at all surprised

Rain Man
05-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Nice post, b_ambuehl.

I hope that he matures and remains an effective football player, but it's more important that he mature and become a sensible adult. At some point the money will run out and he'll be in big trouble.

Rain Man
05-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Mirrors are everywhere upstairs. In the bathroom near the hot tub. On the walls over his bed. It is here, alone in his room, that Warfield does most of his reflecting.

Heh-heh.

Fruit Ninja
05-01-2005, 03:38 PM
I dont judge anyone, its not me, never was. I just hope he has learned his lesson. Hell he is 28 single and a millionaire, no real responsibilities who wouldnt want to party? Fine ass women everynight, each n ever one of us would probably do the same. Not all of us would be stupid enough to drink and drive though. Hejust needs to be more responisble about driving while drunk.

Cochise
05-01-2005, 03:40 PM
I think the main problem here is that the penalties for a first or second DUI are not nearly high enough. Even people who aren't rich professional athletes can buy their way out of them for the first one or two. A guy I knew once had 3-4 of them and because his parents were loaded he hadn't really gotten in any trouble at all.

jspchief
05-01-2005, 04:12 PM
I think the main problem here is that the penalties for a first or second DUI are not nearly high enough. Even people who aren't rich professional athletes can buy their way out of them for the first one or two. A guy I knew once had 3-4 of them and because his parents were loaded he hadn't really gotten in any trouble at all.
I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I had to respond to this.

There comes a time when law makers need to recognize that punishment is not an effective deterrent to certain crimes. Instead of just jacking the punishments up to levels that go way beyond the severity of the crime, they need to be more receptive to actually coming up with solutions.

The threat of punishment is already an ineffective deterrent to many crimes simply because the criminal doesn't believe he's going to get caught. Couple that with someone who's too incapacitated to drive, and you expect them to make the right decision?

The first flaw in the enforcement of DUI is the subjectivity of the level at which it becomes criminal. Basically what the law is asking of us is the equivalent of imposing a speed limit, but not putting speedometers in cars. How am I supposed to know when I went from .07 to .08? I'll just guess I suppose. I'm sure that poison that made me unable to drive won't cloud my judgement at all.

The second flaw is expecting career drunks and college kids to simply do the right thing. No one addresses that in a large portion of the country, it's nearly impossible to get a cab in a reasonable amount of time late at night. They just come up with ideas like..drink responsibly.

The third flaw is the notion that dropping the limit will somehow deter drunk driving, instead of just clogging the jails and consuming the time of the police. I can only wonder, before it was dropped to .08, how many peole were pulled over, blew .08-.099, were released, and then continued on to get in an accident. Was that .02 really the problem?

dtebbe
05-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Warfield should just be honest with himself and hold on to the name of the limo driver. He'll need it for the "probabtion is over" party.

DT

ChiefsCountry
05-01-2005, 06:04 PM
Yeah Warfield does like Range Rovers. I saw him at the Lake this past summer. It was nice, but there are lot better vehicles than Range Rovers. I tried to sell him a boat, but he wasnt blowing the cash that day.

T-post Tom
05-01-2005, 07:24 PM
"Drinking is not a necessity to me."

Where's Stuart Smalley when you need him?

gblowfish
05-01-2005, 08:14 PM
$6100 on a diamond dog collar...for a Chihauhau???

Think of how many dictionaries Tony Richardson could have bought for schools with that money.

Or how many coats, shirts and pants that could have bought for needy kids.

Or how many meals that would have bought for homeless shelters.

Damn. Damn. Damn. :banghead:

Can I adopt Nelly Warfield as my Chief for 2005?

Rausch
05-01-2005, 09:03 PM

This is a job for Bob_Damned_Dole! :cuss:

stevieray
05-01-2005, 09:22 PM
i don't like this new writer, or at least this article. obviously talking about how much money and stuff he has is relative to being on house arrest. He's lucky he's not in jail, like most repeat offenders are. Instead we have to know how big his house is.

Rain Man
05-01-2005, 09:31 PM

ROFL

Frosty
05-01-2005, 09:37 PM
Heh-heh.

ROFL

Thanks for pointing that out. ROFL

ChiefsCountry
05-01-2005, 09:59 PM
In the early hours of Sept. 20, he left the bar with a female friend. She got behind the wheel of his Mercedes. They pulled off the freeway for gas, Warfield says, and his friend said she couldn't drive anymore. She'd had a DUI the week before.

“So I took it upon myself to go ahead and get us home,” he says. “As soon as we got on the freeway, I saw those lights.”

Actually if Warfield wasn't using his little head instead of the big head he might not have got into that mess.

Rausch
05-01-2005, 10:12 PM
i don't like this new writer, or at least this article. obviously talking about how much money and stuff he has is relative to being on house arrest. He's lucky he's not in jail, like most repeat offenders are. Instead we have to know how big his house is.

That's because the author already has his mind made up...

ChiefsCountry
05-01-2005, 10:16 PM
i don't like this new writer, or at least this article. obviously talking about how much money and stuff he has is relative to being on house arrest.

Dude she came from Omaha, thats new to her. ROFL

DaneMcCloud
05-01-2005, 10:47 PM
WOW. What an assine group of hyprocrites. I'm really appalled. Derrick Thomas, with his 6 kids by 7 different women (or close to that) achieves sainthood because of his play, yet Warfield, because of his "less than stellar play", no kids, no personal non-sense but 3 DUI's (and I know that DT either did or should have had several in his days) is some sort of jackass. And apparently, so is the writer!

I'm very sorry to say, but the negative posters have hit a new low in my book.

Dane
~Shocked more than ever

mcan
05-01-2005, 11:03 PM
WOW. What an assine group of hyprocrites. I'm really appalled. Derrick Thomas, with his 6 kids by 7 different women (or close to that) achieves sainthood because of his play, yet Warfield, because of his "less than stellar play", no kids, no personal non-sense but 3 DUI's (and I know that DT either did or should have had several in his days) is some sort of jackass. And apparently, so is the writer!

Dane
~Shocked more than ever

Nobody is a Saint, and there's no question that Derrick's vice was women, and he wasn't very responsible about it. Warfield at least doesn't have the kiddos running around. I acually am reminded of Derrick when I read this article. The free-spending, and the giving of his things to his friends (Derrick let himself be taken advantage of). However, Derrick never took on a "thug" image, or tried to live like Deion Sanders. This article kinda gives you that image of Warfield. Yeah, I know a lot of people who have DUIs and/or drink and drive and don't get caught. But there's something to be said also about how this is Warfield's THIRD, and drinking and driving is extremely reckless and could kill some innocent person. Having illigitamate children isn't going to kill anybody...

chappy
05-01-2005, 11:55 PM
I still like Warfield and i think he will come out of this a stronger person i have faith in him and he is in my prayers. really he is a very nice and fun guy to be around.

Bob Dole
05-02-2005, 05:31 AM

Think of how many dictionaries Tony Richardson could have bought for schools with that money.

Or how many coats, shirts and pants that could have bought for needy kids.

Or how many meals that would have bought for homeless shelters.

That's exactly what Bob Dole was attempting to point out earlier when Bob Dole said it was unfortunate that the author chose not to mention any of the positive things that Eric does with his money and status.

Certainly there are NFL players who do more, but it's not like Eric does nothing.

|Zach|
05-02-2005, 05:33 AM
However, Derrick never took on a "thug" image, or tried to live like Deion Sanders. This article kinda gives you that image of Warfield.
I can see the overspending celeb image but I don't see how this article could give you a "thug" image. I never got that when I spent a small amount of time with him in Denver as well.

mcan
05-02-2005, 06:44 AM
I can see the overspending celeb image but I don't see how this article could give you a "thug" image. I never got that when I spent a small amount of time with him in Denver as well.

Yeah, I suppose that isn't fair. I guess it's some kind of bias that I've picked up about him. The extravagance reminds me of Puffy or Deion. The DUIs and the women and the cars... I guess "thug" isn't quite what I meant. I'm not sure what it is...

the Talking Can
05-02-2005, 06:56 AM
Yeah, I suppose that isn't fair. I guess it's some kind of bias that I've picked up about him. The extravagance reminds me of Puffy or Deion. The DUIs and the women and the cars... I guess "thug" isn't quite what I meant. I'm not sure what it is...

It sounds more like Sigfried and Roy style "bling" to me....nttawwt...

jspchief
05-02-2005, 06:58 AM
It sounds more like Sigfried and Roy style "bling" to me....nttawwt...Let's just hope Nelly doesn't go Montecore on his ass.

dave0320
05-02-2005, 07:20 AM
The only time Warfield will regret the DWI is when Taggs suspends him the 4 games, and he miises the pay cut of 25% of this years salary.

htismaqe
05-02-2005, 08:12 AM

Dane
~Shocked more than ever

I was waiting for someone to respond like this.

It was exactly what I was thinking reading through the responses, I just didn't feel like starting a big fight.

Mr. Kotter
05-02-2005, 08:20 AM
I was waiting for someone to respond like this.

It was exactly what I was thinking reading through the responses, I just didn't feel like starting a big fight.

I'm a big fan of DT on-the-field; not so much, off-the-field.

Warfield? Eh.....hopefully he's still learning from his mistakes.

BTW, htismaqe.....I think you should stay, rufusmaqe. :)

Chiefnj
05-02-2005, 08:23 AM
Why is the writer a jackass?

jarjar
05-02-2005, 08:25 AM
Wow. What a bunch of jackasses. Warfield is apparently a low-life for spending his money. I guess if he wants to be considered a nice guy around here he has to give all his money to charity, because I'm sure all of you are being generous with your money all the time.

No Check that.

How's this, I don't want to hear about how Warfield doesn't live in reality because he doesn't know the pain of blowing $150 to go see a professional football game. Think about the starving kids in 3rd world countries whom would have been able to eat on an entire year for the money you and I and everyone here will blow to see a single football game this year. Maybe we're not living in reality? Or maybe you shouldn't judge people until you've walked in their shoes.

htismaqe
05-02-2005, 08:25 AM
I'm a big fan of DT on-the-field; not so much, off-the-field.

Warfield? Eh.....hopefully he's still learning from his mistakes.

BTW, htismaqe.....I think you should stay, rufusmaqe. :)

Nah, it's tired...

I'm thinking of changing it to bobgretzmaqe...

shaneo69
05-02-2005, 08:32 AM

Dane
~Shocked more than ever

Yeah, all you guys who made fun of Paris Warfield for buying a $6,000 purse for his lapdog can all go to hell!!!

shaneo69
05-02-2005, 08:45 AM
Wow. What a bunch of jackasses. Warfield is apparently a low-life for spending his money. I guess if he wants to be considered a nice guy around here he has to give all his money to charity, because I'm sure all of you are being generous with your money all the time.

No Check that.

How's this, I don't want to hear about how Warfield doesn't live in reality because he doesn't know the pain of blowing $150 to go see a professional football game. Think about the starving kids in 3rd world countries whom would have been able to eat on an entire year for the money you and I and everyone here will blow to see a single football game this year. Maybe we're not living in reality? Or maybe you shouldn't judge people until you've walked in their shoes.

I could care less what Warfield does with his money. But when his career is over and all of his money is gone, and he's back in jail for another DUI, I don't think anyone here will be surprised.

jarjar
05-02-2005, 08:47 AM
I could care less what Warfield does with his money. But when his career is over and all of his money is gone, and he's back in jail for another DUI, I don't think anyone here will be surprised.

Yeah, but that's a little different than saying the guy is a low-life.

shaneo69
05-02-2005, 08:57 AM
Yeah, but that's a little different than saying the guy is a low-life.

Who said that? Why didn't you quote it when you posted your rant?

Detoxing
05-02-2005, 09:06 AM
Yeah, i hardly think warfield is a looser because he is a single 28 year old that likes to party. He'll I'd wanna get wasted to after a loss. And as far as the spending goes....what the hell else is he gonna spend it on? How big is his contract? If im 28, a pro ball player, and had a multi million dollar contract, there would surely be some parties at my place.

Rain Man
05-02-2005, 09:09 AM
What is Warfield's income anyway? What was his signing bonus, and what's his annual salary?

I don't have a problem with a really rich person spending tons of money. I just wonder if he's spending it all and not saving anything. It'll be hard to stop living that lifestyle at 35 when you've got another 50 years to live.

shaneo69
05-02-2005, 09:16 AM
What is Warfield's income anyway? What was his signing bonus, and what's his annual salary?

I don't have a problem with a really rich person spending tons of money. I just wonder if he's spending it all and not saving anything. It'll be hard to stop living that lifestyle at 35 when you've got another 50 years to live.

IIRC, the contract he signed prior to the 2002 season was 7 years for $28 mil, not sure what the signing bonus was.

With his 3 DUI's, I think he's trying to make sure he doesn't make it to age 35 when he would have to change his lifestyle.

shaneo69
05-02-2005, 09:18 AM
Yeah, i hardly think warfield is a looser because he is a single 28 year old that likes to party. He'll I'd wanna get wasted to after a loss.

Hell yeah! What's the worst that can happen.....another DUI? No biggie.

jspchief
05-02-2005, 09:30 AM

Screw those 3rd world kids! If they want professional football, they need to bulk up and form their own damn league.

And Warfield is a POS loser because he won't get me an autographed chihuahua with a diamond necklace! It serves him right to have to pay child support on DT's kids!

BIG_DADDY
05-02-2005, 10:22 AM

Gotta agree with you. Bank that first 10 mill and then do what you want. Gotta wonder what's up with the rat in the bag too.

Count Zarth
03-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Warfield is solid. HE'S A SOLID CORNER!

eazyb81
03-15-2009, 12:23 PM

Do you really have nothing better to do than bump old threads?

Your life really must be miserable.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-15-2009, 12:26 PM

What an awesome 75,000th post. I was expecting something in line with your 70K thread.... :(

Count Zarth
03-15-2009, 12:27 PM
What an awesome 75,000th post. I was expecting something in line with your 70K thread.... :(

single posts mean nothing now

I've become like Dr. Manhattan

I perceive posting in a way none of you can comprehend

ChiefRon
03-15-2009, 12:33 PM
WTF?!?

I thought this was a new article about this POS being in trouble again, and click to find out this is just some old shit being drug up?

Somebody owes me a few minutes back into my life that I just wasted!

Fuck!!

bdeg
03-15-2009, 12:36 PM
single posts mean nothing now

I've become like Dr. Manhattan

I perceive posting in a way none of you can comprehend

As your only form of communication with "the outside"?
:)

Manila-Chief
03-15-2009, 04:47 PM
WTF?!?

I thought this was a new article about this POS being in trouble again, and click to find out this is just some old shit being drug up?

Somebody owes me a few minutes back into my life that I just wasted!

****!!

I thought it might be an interesting article from Eliz & her new gig ... don't know why coz all she ever wrote was fluff ... but, alas, it's Gochiefs up to who knows what.

I only got about half way through before I checked out the date.

Bwana
03-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Nut hooks

Halfcan
03-15-2009, 08:04 PM
dumbass