PDA

View Full Version : kcchiefs.com:Q&A with DV 5/1...

Coogs
05-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Q&A with DICK VERMEIL
May 01, 2005, 1:16:28 PM

Q: Your impressions on your last chance to look at those two quarterbacks you brought in here?

DICK VERMEIL: “I’ll go back in and talk to my coaches about them, but they’re two competitive kids. One’s drafted and the other’s not. We’ll have to decide whether we want to bring an extra quarterback to training camp. I don’t know if we’ll do that or not right now. So, we’ll just wait and condense all our thoughts as we go back.”

Q: You still have Casey Clausen in Europe, too, right?

VERMEIL: “He’s over in NFLEL (European League) and we’ll have to make that decision too.

Q: What’s you assessment of the players now after the final workout?

VERMEIL: “It was fun for the coaches and, I think, the players had fun. I think they learned a lot of football in three days. They learned a lot about the Kansas City Chiefs on and off the field. A number of them we will bring back and some we won’t. And, some we’ll put on hold in case we need somebody at a later date that wants to take an opportunity at that time. We’ll go back and finalize those plans within the next hour.”

Q: Gunther’s been putting a lot of emphasis on defensive players getting their hands on the ball.

VERMEIL: “That’s nothing new. Coaches start out doing that real well and then it fades when you get into game plans and technical schemes. You get tired and then you forget those kinds of things. We’ll do a better job this year than we have.”

Q: Anyone stand out this weekend?

VERMEIL: “The guys you’d expect to stand out. I thought Derrick Johnson demonstrated he moves like a first round pick and has great skill and learning ability. I think he had some fun. Our punter did an awfully good job this morning. Overall, I’m pleased with the group. But you really don’t get to know what they’re all about until you get them in pads and out of their pajamas – I won’t say diapers – and go from there.”

Q: Is the punter living up to the third round pick so far?

VERMEIL: “I’ve been impressed. Of course, it’s not live. But on both mornings he did a good job punting.”

Q: How did Craphonso Thorpe look?

VERMEIL: “The receivers have a hard time running like they like to run because they’re thinking about how to run a route a new way in a new system, how to make adjustments against coverages in a different way. He did OK. But he’s got a lot of work to do.

“It’s hard to go full speed when you’re not sure.”

Q: But he’s fast.

VERMEIL: “I hope so, that’s why we drafted him. But I told (the receivers) they ought to give the quarterbacks their per diem money because they never got the opportunity to really stretch the field. They’ll get plenty of time for that.”

Q: Kendall Gammon is not a rookie but he’s been re-signed. Why did you determine to keep him around another year?

VERMEIL: “First off, he’s very good at what he does. Secondly, he’s a great Chief. He’s a very important part of the chemistry of our football team. He makes a tremendous contribution at his position. He’s our security blanket and is also a great practice player because he works at all the offensive line positions during practice which allows us to have another player on the field. Not many long snappers can do that. So, he’s very valuable and a quality asset to our football team.”

Rain Man
05-01-2005, 05:05 PM
He almost complimented a punter. Colquitt must be fantastic!

whoman69
05-01-2005, 05:17 PM
At least he's not trying to start Diapergate II.

Chan93lx50
05-01-2005, 07:39 PM
VERMEIL: “The guys you’d expect to stand out. I thought Derrick Johnson demonstrated he moves like a first round pick and has great skill and learning ability. I think he had some fun. Our punter did an awfully good job this morning. Overall, I’m pleased with the group. But you really don’t get to know what they’re all about until you get them in pads and out of their pajamas – I won’t say diapers – and go from there.”

ROFL

KCChiefsFan88
05-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Q&A with DICK VERMEIL
May 01, 2005, 1:16:28 PM

Q: Your impressions on your last chance to look at those two quarterbacks you brought in here?

DICK VERMEIL: “I’ll go back in and talk to my coaches about them, but they’re two competitive kids. One’s drafted and the other’s not. We’ll have to decide whether we want to bring an extra quarterback to training camp. I don’t know if we’ll do that or not right now. So, we’ll just wait and condense all our thoughts as we go back.”

Q: You still have Casey Clausen in Europe, too, right?

VERMEIL: “He’s over in NFLEL (European League) and we’ll have to make that decision too.

Q: What’s you assessment of the players now after the final workout?

VERMEIL: “It was fun for the coaches and, I think, the players had fun. I think they learned a lot of football in three days. They learned a lot about the Kansas City Chiefs on and off the field. A number of them we will bring back and some we won’t. And, some we’ll put on hold in case we need somebody at a later date that wants to take an opportunity at that time. We’ll go back and finalize those plans within the next hour.”

Q: Gunther’s been putting a lot of emphasis on defensive players getting their hands on the ball.

VERMEIL: “That’s nothing new. Coaches start out doing that real well and then it fades when you get into game plans and technical schemes. You get tired and then you forget those kinds of things. We’ll do a better job this year than we have.”

Q: Anyone stand out this weekend?

Q: Is the punter living up to the third round pick so far?

VERMEIL: “I’ve been impressed. Of course, it’s not live. But on both mornings he did a good job punting.”

Q: How did Craphonso Thorpe look?

VERMEIL: “The receivers have a hard time running like they like to run because they’re thinking about how to run a route a new way in a new system, how to make adjustments against coverages in a different way. He did OK. But he’s got a lot of work to do.

“It’s hard to go full speed when you’re not sure.”

Q: But he’s fast.

VERMEIL: “I hope so, that’s why we drafted him. But I told (the receivers) they ought to give the quarterbacks their per diem money because they never got the opportunity to really stretch the field. They’ll get plenty of time for that.”

Q: Kendall Gammon is not a rookie but he’s been re-signed. Why did you determine to keep him around another year?

VERMEIL: “First off, he’s very good at what he does. Secondly, he’s a great Chief. He’s a very important part of the chemistry of our football team. He makes a tremendous contribution at his position. He’s our security blanket and is also a great practice player because he works at all the offensive line positions during practice which allows us to have another player on the field. Not many long snappers can do that. So, he’s very valuable and a quality asset to our football team.”

KCChiefsFan88
05-01-2005, 07:46 PM
Oops forgot my reply, I don't understand why a reporter would ask why they re-signed Gammons. He's a Pro Bowl long snapper, why would they not re-sign him?

milkman
05-01-2005, 07:47 PM
Wow, that's thought provoking!

Chan93lx50
05-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Oops forgot my reply, I don't understand why a reporter would ask why they re-signed Gammons. He's a Pro Bowl long snapper, why would they not re-sign him?

Good point! I guess they are questioning whey we keep using one of our spots on the roster for a guy who just snaps his balls!

4th and Long
05-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Years Experience 14
Birthdate 10/23/1968

He's not exactly a young man.

Rain Man
05-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Years Experience 14
Birthdate 10/23/1968

He's not exactly a young man.

Hmmph.

Count Alex's Losses
05-01-2005, 08:17 PM
I should have gone out for the football team in junior high or something. I'd love to make a career out of being a long snapper.

4th and Long
05-01-2005, 08:22 PM
Hmmph.
Yeah me too. He's about the same age as my baby brother.

Dunit35
05-01-2005, 10:26 PM
they resigned Gammon because yes he is a pro bowler...but Allen can also snap..but since he did good on D last year, they didnt want him long snapping. If they hadnt resigned Gammon, and Allen got hurt on D...they would lose their long snapper also...

Rain Man
05-01-2005, 10:28 PM
I should have gone out for the football team in junior high or something. I'd love to make a career out of being a long snapper.

School career counselors really don't emphasize this field enough.

Count Alex's Losses
05-01-2005, 10:29 PM

Clipboard holder is great, too. Todd Collins will retire a rich man.

4th and Long
05-01-2005, 10:30 PM
I agree whole heartedly. My school councelor, Laverne, was a total joke. Always full of bad advice. I could never take Laverne seriously.

Did I mention that Laverne was a man?

True story.

HemiEd
05-01-2005, 10:36 PM
ROFL Damn that felt good to laugh! Thanks

Rain Man
05-02-2005, 10:34 AM
http://careers.unc.edu/images/photos/timandstudent.jpg

"Well, Tina, your vocational aptitude test came back. Have you ever considered a career as a long snapper?"

ChiefsCountry
05-02-2005, 10:36 AM

I figured you would want to play center.