PDA

View Full Version : Two Teenagers Rescued After Being Lost at Sea for Six Days

C-Mac
05-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Two Teenagers Rescued After Being Lost at Sea for Six Days
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: May 2, 2005

OUTHPORT, N.C., May 1 (AP) - Two teenagers lost at sea in a small sailboat for six days without food or fresh water were rescued on Saturday more than 100 miles from where they started.

The boys quenched their thirst with seawater and slipped into the ocean to cool off, but sharks chased them back onto the boat. At night, they used a single wet suit to keep warm.

"I asked God to take me," said one of the boys, Troy Driscoll, 15, as he lay in a hospital emergency room. "You're out there fighting for your life. We didn't want to fight anymore."

Troy and his best friend, 17-year-old Josh Long, were spotted by fishermen about seven miles off Cape Fear - six days and more than 100 miles from where they put in off Sullivans Island, S.C., on April 24. The boys were sunburned, dehydrated and exhausted, but otherwise in good shape.

"We were praying for a miracle and we got one," said Cmdr. June Ryan of the United States Coast Guard in Charleston. "Everybody on the East Coast has been looking for these boys."

Shane Coker, Troy's brother, said he would first hug Troy, "then I'm going to hit him and let him know how much he made us worry."

The teenagers set out on a 14-foot Sunfish on a blustery day when the National Weather Service warned small boats to stay off the water. They realized they were in trouble almost immediately and tried to swim back to shore, pulling the boat along with them.

Within hours, they were out to sea. "We lost our tackle the second day," Troy told one of his relatives on the phone. "So we couldn't catch any fish."

The boys' hope waned as the week wore on.

They stood on their Sunfish every time they saw a boat, waving their paddles and yelling. One night they were awakened by water splashing in their faces and found a large container ship bearing down on them.

At one point, they thought they had drifted across the Atlantic Ocean and were close to Africa. Instead, they were about 111 miles north - outside the Coast Guard's search grid - but close enough to spot one more fishing boat.

They got up and made some noise. This time, they were heard.

Count Zarth
05-01-2005, 08:57 PM
DRY LAND IS NOT A MYTH! I'VE SEEEEEN IT!

C-Mac
05-01-2005, 08:58 PM
6 days at sea with no food or water, 2 boys rescued

Last Updated Sun, 01 May 2005 22:03:29 EDT
CBC News
SOUTHPORT, N.C. - Two teenage boys, who were lost at sea for six days in a small open sailboat without food or fresh water, were rescued on Saturday off Cape Fear, 180 kilometres from where they started.

A U.S. coast guard spokesperson called it a miracle after fishermen discovered Josh Long, 18, and Troy Driscoll, 15, exhausted and suffering from sunburn and dehydration, but otherwise in good condition.

A family snapshot shows Troy Driscoll (left) and Josh Long after a less memorable fishing trip. (AP photo)
During almost a week at sea, the boys had nothing to eat and quenched their thirst with seawater. They tried to cool off in the ocean, but sharks chased them back onto their 4.5 metre Sunfish.

Long and Driscoll knew they were in trouble almost as soon as they set off on a fishing trip from Sullivans Island, S.C., on April 24.

When high winds and a rip tide caught their dinghy, the boys jumped in the water and tried to swim to shore, dragging their boat behind them.

That didn't work, and within hours they were far out to sea.

The boys had lifejackets, but no signalling devices. They shared one wetsuit at night to try to stay warm.

On Sunday, family members gathered at a hospital in Charleston, S.C., to celebrate the teens' safe return.

"I was OK for the first night and second night, but after the second night I thought that we were not going to make it," Driscoll said.

"We lost our tackle the second day, so we couldn't catch any fish."

"I think it was a test from God, this whole experience was," Long said. "And that was to test my faith and my best friend's faith and the faith in my family."

Every time they saw a boat, the boys stood up, yelled and waved their paddles. One night they woke up to find a container ship bearing down, but the ship's crew didn't see them.

"What we have is an absolutely miraculous story of survival that's going to be studied for years to come," said Long's uncle, Richard Goerling. "Those two boys have a book to write."

Spicy McHaggis
05-01-2005, 09:06 PM
"Those two boys have a book to write."

Yeah that'll be a thriller. "Noon Day 2 - Still at sea. Nothings happening. Afternoon Day 3 - Yep still on the ocean. Morning Day 4 - I've made a new friend by painting a face on my sneaker with sea gull feces. I call him K Swisslson."

Count Zarth
05-01-2005, 09:08 PM
HODGES: We can't go on much longer, sir. We haven't eaten since the fifth day.

MORLEY: We're done for, we're done for!

LIEUTENANT: Shut up, Morley.

HODGES: We've got to keep hoping. Someone may find us.

LEWIS: How we feeling, Captain?

CAPTAIN: Not too good. I...I feel so weak.

MORLEY: We can't hold out much longer.

CAPTAIN: Listen...chaps...there's still a chance. I'm...done for, I've...got a gamey leg and I'm going fast; I'll never get through. But...some of you might. So...you'd better eat me.

HODGES: Eat you, sir?
CAPTAIN: Yes. Eat me.

HODGES: Ewwww! With a gamey leg?

CAPTAIN: You don't eat the leg, HODGES. There's still plenty of good meat. Look at that arm.

MORLEY: It's not just the leg, sir.

CAPTAIN: What do you mean?

MORLEY: Well, sir...it's just that �

CAPTAIN: Why don't you want to eat me?

MORLEY: I'd� I�d� I�d rather eat Johnson, sir!

HODGES: So would I, sir.

LEWIS: Definitely.

CAPTAIN: I see.

JOHNSON: I'm not an hors doeuvre, everyone's gonna eat me!

LIEUTENANT: Uh, well.

MORLEY: What, sir?

LIEUTENANT: Go ahead, please, but I won't �

MORLEY: Oh nonsense, sir, you're starving.

LIEUTENANT: No, no, it's not that.

MORLEY: What's the matter with Johnson, sir?

LIEUTENANT: Well,�. he's not kosher.

MORLEY: That depends how we kill him, sir.

LIEUTENANT: Yes, that's true. But to be perfectly frank I...I like my meat a little more lean. I'd rather eat Hodges.

HODGES: Blimey! Oh well, all right.

MORLEY (sulking): I still prefer Johnson.

CAPTAIN: I wish you'd all stop bickering and eat me!

LEWIS: Look. I tell you what. Those who want to can eat Johnson. And you, sir (to Lieutenant), can have my leg. And we make some stock from the Captain, and then we'll have Johnson cold for supper.

CREW: (cacophonous, all at once)
CAPT: Hmm, yes, good idea.
MORL: Excellent thinking, very good.
LIEUT: I don't suppose we could have Hodges in the morning?
HODGES: Good idea, yes.
JOHN: Wonderful menu. Yes.

C-Mac
05-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Yeah that'll be a thriller. "Noon Day 2 - Still at sea. Nothings happening. Afternoon Day 3 - Yep still on the ocean. Morning Day 4 - I've made a new friend by painting a face on my sneaker with sea gull feces. I call him K Swisslson."

ROFL