PDA

View Full Version : Should Priest go to TC?

Skip Towne
05-02-2005, 09:57 AM
With the injury problems he's had, should Priest be required to attend Training camp? I don't see much benefit for anyone there. Just let him get ready on his own.

|Zach|
05-02-2005, 09:59 AM
When it comes to actual camp I think he needs to be there. I am sure our offense is still evolving and you need to be on the same page with your team even if you have been doin it for a few years. Timing is so important in our system.

nascher
05-02-2005, 10:00 AM
Yes and if priest gets hurt again this season it has nothing to do with the TC. + We have LJ

JimNasium
05-02-2005, 10:30 AM
He should go but should be given very light duty. He should also play no more than a series in all but one pre-season game. The same holds true for Roaf and Shields.

Skip Towne
05-02-2005, 10:30 AM
I wouldn't worry about the timing issue. A week should take care of that and any new wrinkles in the offense. He's only got so much left and I don't want to waste it on the practice field. John Riggins took off an entire season during his career and came back stronger than ever.

ChiefsCountry
05-02-2005, 10:31 AM
He should go, just be careful with him.

|Zach|
05-02-2005, 10:31 AM
I just don't think a running back can prepare for a season the right way without some good camp time and a little hitting.

Saulbadguy
05-02-2005, 10:34 AM
Yes...if anything, for his leadership abilities, and to get the young'ins ready.

ChiefsCountry
05-02-2005, 10:34 AM
Hey Zach what did you think of the new Family Guy last night.

JimNasium
05-02-2005, 10:35 AM
I just don't think a running back can prepare for a season the right way without some good camp time and a little hitting.
I would argue that Priest is the exception. The guy always seems to be prepared.

|Zach|
05-02-2005, 10:36 AM
Hey Zach what did you think of the new Family Guy last night.
I actually fell asleep for the exact duration of the show, I was all primed to watch it and then the next thing I know the credits are rolling.

I hate myself for it. ROFL

TRR
05-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Priest has had limited duty during TC the last couple of seasons. He barely carried the ball against the Vikes for two TC's in a row.

Vermeil is very careful with his stars. Holmes getting injured is nothing more than bad luck.

PastorMikH
05-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Yes.

First, him not going sends a message that if you are a star, you don't have to worry about camp. Which is the wrong message to send.

Secondly, the offense is centered around Priest - he's the one guy you can count on in a clutch situation and he is the threat that DCs put the most time into shutting down and then fail. Without him, THE main cog in our offense won't be there which would affect the chemistry of the offense.

Third, Priest may not want the role, but he's a leader and he needs to be there to motivate the other players.

And, I feet that for his conditioning, he needs to be there. No training actually compares to putting on the pads and knocking each other around.

Besides, if he skips, those around here that wanted to see him benched so LJ could start will be crowing all the more. And regardless of what people think, LJ does not yet = Priest.

Baby Lee
05-02-2005, 10:49 AM
I actually fell asleep for the exact duration of the show, I was all primed to watch it and then the next thing I know the credits are rolling.

I hate myself for it. ROFL
So, you'll be on the lookout for the replay on Cartoon Network? Let me know if you find it.

chagrin
05-02-2005, 10:50 AM
Everyone needs to be in camp, unless there is an emergency keeping them away. I know you didn't ask me and, sorry for answering, Family Guy was sick as usual. I enjoyed it totally!

|Zach|
05-02-2005, 10:51 AM
So, you'll be on the lookout for the replay on Cartoon Network? Let me know if you find it.
I didn't think they would be able to show the new ones for a while...thats an assumption on my part. I am all over the Adult Swim stuff though. I will give a shout if i run across it.

http://www.alliednetservices.com/clipart/venture_bros.jpg

Skip Towne
05-02-2005, 10:53 AM
It's the coaches job to get the youngsters ready, not Priests. And you can't teach someone to be a RB anyhow. A lot of the stars skip it under the guise of "holding out". I've never noticed their play suffering from it.

Mr. Laz
05-02-2005, 10:58 AM
yes, he can help the other backs learn etc and be a team leader.

but he should just be very limited in his plays.

i don't think Vermeil even had contact drills IIRC, so it's not a big issue

Gravedigger
05-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Vermeil said that Priest is eight pounds over his ideal weight but all of it is muscle. He says priest is training himself and conditioning and he aint fookin around with it either.

JimNasium
05-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Vermeil said that Priest is eight pounds over his ideal weight but all of it is muscle. He says priest is training himself and conditioning and he aint fookin around with it either.
I can't imagine where he has room for eight more pounds of muscle. He must have muscles on his muscles.

Skip Towne
05-02-2005, 01:08 PM
So Priest is at 220 now? Let's move him to Fullback.

NJ Chief Fan
05-02-2005, 01:10 PM
i say let the man rest...our offense is gonna be on the field ALOT this upcoming season...with us now having something resembeling a defense...im more worried on who we have penciled in at the 3 spot JUST IN CASE SHIT HAPPENS

Wallcrawler
05-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Priest goes to camp, no question. Especially with the possibility of a new Right Tackle in the starting lineup.

If you start worrying that your running back wont make it through training camp, then thats bad. If he cant get through camp, how will he get through the regular season?

Priest has had some injuries in the past, but those injuries happened during some pretty nasty tackles. The Hip injury was a nasty tackle where he got ripped down from behind running full speed, and the knee injury was like a 3 guy pileup.

We havent seen Priest just try to make a cut and go down injured. Priest is a tough runningback, and he will be fine in training camp.

When you start treating your players as if they are made of glass, thats not a good situation.

DeepSouth
05-02-2005, 01:19 PM
I envision Saunders instilling some new wrinkles in the offense this year. Playing Wilson at H-Back and FB will force players to learn new plays. Also, I expect to see some two back sets that contain both Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson.

Priest needs to be there so he knows/understands any change to the offense.

Mr. Kotter
05-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Priest should be there, for the "team" if nothing else. Let him fly out early on Thursday night; back late on Tuesday....limit the "live" stuff...but he should be there.

DTLB58
05-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Did Jerry Rice ever skip a training camp over fears of injury??? :shake:

There's your answer.

Count Alex's Losses
05-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Jeez.

If Priest can't make it through a training camp, how is he going to make it through a season?

Priest should go to training camp.

bogie
05-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Yes he should attend. The attitude this year needs to be one for all and all for one, balls to the wall, leave no survivors. OTOH full contact should be limited.

Bowser
05-02-2005, 07:41 PM
The last thing we need is to have Gonzalez pissed because he couldn't skip out on TC, too.

Besides, who do you think Priest is? Johnny Morton?