PDA

View Full Version : Lightbulb Issues

bgguitarman
05-02-2005, 02:18 PM
My bathroom takes four flame tipped lightbulbs...when the ones that were already in there when I moved in to my apartment burned out, I went to the store and bought the same wattage (60) and volts (120) and shape. I put them in and turned on the light and they worked fine. Within days all of them had burned out, usually what happens is when I turn on the light...I hear a poof sound and the bulb goes black. What is happening and how can I prevent it? I'm an idiot when it comes to stuff like this.

Thanks in advance.

Pants
05-02-2005, 02:38 PM
Get Firefox.

bgguitarman
05-02-2005, 02:47 PM
Get Firefox.

Tried that...although a decent browser, it didn't fix my lightbulb issues.

KCWolfman
05-02-2005, 04:10 PM
#1. Are you buying cheap bulbs?

#2. Is the fixture rated for 60 watts?

If the answer to #1 is "Yes", then try a better bulb. If the answer to #2 is "No" or "I don't know", try a lower wattage.

Pants
05-02-2005, 04:37 PM
Tried that...although a decent browser, it didn't fix my lightbulb issues.

Firefox fixes EVERYTHING, you just need to know how to use it. :rolleyes:

Lzen
05-03-2005, 08:25 AM

If the answer to #1 is "Yes", then try a better bulb. If the answer to #2 is "No" or "I don't know", try a lower wattage.

I was going to suggest something like that. :thumb: Also, perhaps there could be a short in the fixture. In which case I would reccommend a certified electrician. Of course, if it were my own, I would just fix it myself. ;)

bgguitarman
05-03-2005, 09:01 AM

Since I don't know the answer to number 2...I went with a combination of number 1 and a lower wattage. So far so good. Or it could be that I downloaded firefox since it fixes EVERYTHING.

Dartgod
05-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Firefox fixes EVERYTHING, you just need to know how to use it. :rolleyes:
Bah. A bowl of antifreeze should do the trick.

Lzen
05-03-2005, 03:22 PM
Hey, I have an idea.

Rain Man
05-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Sounds to me like they're getting too much juice. If that's true, then it probably means the breaker's bad, too. I'd call an electrician if I was you, just to make sure you don't die in a bathroom-caused inferno.

bgguitarman
05-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Sounds to me like they're getting too much juice. If that's true, then it probably means the breaker's bad, too. I'd call an electrician if I was you, just to make sure you don't die in a bathroom-caused inferno.

Gee...I haven't been this scared to take (leave) a dump since my run in with the morels last weekend.

C-Mac
05-07-2005, 09:21 AM
-If the fixture is rated for less that the wattage of the bulbs, it should just damage the fixture, which could be potentially dangerous.
-If there was a short in the fixture there should be smoke and sparks or the breaker would blow(or both)
-If too much voltage is coming thru, it should damage any bulb you put in it.
-a bad breaker could allow more current or no current, but shouldnt allow more voltage.
-cheap bulbs or a defective batch may not last long and is probably the culprit.