PDA

View Full Version : Ethics and Honor - A Rain Man Rant

Pages : 1 [2]

ENDelt260
05-04-2005, 01:55 AM
I did miss your point, but I would say outside architecture, engineering and construction there are very few people that ever have to know how to calculate sides of triangles and angles no matter what it is called. Maybe I am missing something.
Well, I'm drunk now. So, I'll do a shitty job of explaining it. But, my point was that many folks in the construction industry are unwittingly using the pythagoreaom theorom for their job, after having bitched about having to learn it in school.

Being a nerd myself, I found mild humor in this fact.

Logical
05-04-2005, 01:57 AM
Well, I'm drunk now. So, I'll do a shitty job of explaining it. But, my point was that many folks in the construction industry are unwittingly using the pythagoreaom theorom for their job, after having bitched about having to learn it in school.

Being a nerd myself, I found mild humor in this fact.

Doh I did not read your post accurately. You said right in it (in the construction industry) exactly what you meant.

My error and I am not even drunk.

patteeu
05-04-2005, 07:39 AM
A mildly interesting musing (to me, anway)... I wonder how many folks in the construction field sat in their eighth grade geometry class when learning about the Pythagoream theoreom bitched, "When am I ever gonna use this?"

I wonder if kcnut or TK ever bitched in the same way about having to sit through English class.

jspchief
05-04-2005, 07:57 AM
A mildly interesting musing (to me, anway)... I wonder how many folks in the construction field sat in their eighth grade geometry class when learning about the Pythagoream theoreom bitched, "When am I ever gonna use this?"Funny you should say that. Geometry was hands down my worst subject in school. It's the only class that I ever came close to failing. A large reason for my poor grade in that classs was my stance that it was all useless crap anyway (kind of a teenage civil disobedience thing).

Now I sit back and wish I had retained half of what they taught me. There's probably no subject more important to what I do than geometry. I still think at least a small portion of the blame lies in a curriculum that fails to put those theories into real world scenarios though.

Iowanian
05-04-2005, 08:16 AM
I failed an entire year of Geometry in HS. I think most of it had to do with a biatch teacher, and a stubborn Sophomore.

I use Geometry every day in my job. I still don't know most of the big words, but am using alot of it.

Nightfyre
05-04-2005, 08:53 AM
Rainman,
I am a freshman in college. If youre looking fora future hire, my major is business, but hey, im flexible. Ive got my basic calc down. I doubt you are dabbling in otherwise more complex math and stats are a huge part of business. Eh. I am a quick learner, and I wont shit on you, if youre as loyal as you expect me to be. I'm pretty good at math (720 on the SAT) and if you offer me a job with pay increase and job-potential based on work performance, Id be more than happy to live in Denver.

Rain Man
05-04-2005, 09:51 AM
You're on, nightfyre. Send me a resume in a few years.

On a serious note, if you like market research, we do have interns on occasion. You'd probably have to be a junior or higher to apply, though.

Nightfyre
05-04-2005, 09:53 AM
You're on, nightfyre. Send me a resume in a few years.

On a serious note, if you like market research, we do have interns on occasion. You'd probably have to be a junior or higher to apply, though.
Do you do summer internships?

Rain Man
05-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Do you do summer internships?

Hey, we just did a spring internship and didn't even know it.

Internships are not a normal part of our operations, but we've had probably three or four on an opportunistic basis. I think we're bringing a guy on this summer for an internship, but it's only because he came to us and was interested and tested well. If you're interested once you get a couple more years under your belt, let me know. We have a Chief fan affirmative action program here.

On another note, thanks, everyone, for the discussion. I'm still ticked off about this, but venting here and hearing everyone else's take on the situation helped me in figuring out how to deal with it.

Nightfyre
05-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Hey, we just did a spring internship and didn't even know it.

Internships are not a normal part of our operations, but we've had probably three or four on an opportunistic basis. I think we're bringing a guy on this summer for an internship, but it's only because he came to us and was interested and tested well. If you're interested once you get a couple more years under your belt, let me know. We have a Chief fan affirmative action program here.

as much as I hate affirmative action, im ok with it for Chiefs fans :thumb: I'll look you up in a couple years ;)

Rain Man
05-04-2005, 10:05 AM
as much as I hate affirmative action, im ok with it for Chiefs fans :thumb: I'll look you up in a couple years ;)

Sound good. But I'm warning you, if you accept our internship offer, don't keep looking for other internships.

Nightfyre
05-04-2005, 10:08 AM
Sound good. But I'm warning you, if you accept our internship offer, don't keep looking for other internships.
:banghead: Got... to get... that.... into... my... skull... [/BANGHEAD]

patteeu
05-04-2005, 01:36 PM
...Id be more than happy to live in Denver.

Blasphemy! Maybe Stevieray is right about Rain Man and the debil.

Rain Man
05-04-2005, 01:50 PM
Blasphemy! Maybe Stevieray is right about Rain Man and the debil.

Denver has everything a man could want. Naked women wander the streets. It rains pizza here. The streets are paved with episodes of the Simpsons. And our football team is the Broncos...(resonant evil laugh). So come join me in Denver, innocent people, come join me in Denver.

patteeu
05-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Denver has everything a man could want. Naked women wander the streets. It rains pizza here. The streets are paved with episodes of the Simpsons. And our football team is the Broncos...(resonant evil laugh). So come join me in Denver, innocent people, come join me in Denver.

ROFL

Over-Head
05-04-2005, 08:13 PM
I'd rather eat worms 3 nights a week for supper than live in Denver :shake:

Rain Man
05-04-2005, 09:26 PM
I'd rather eat worms 3 nights a week for supper than live in Denver :shake:

Did I mention that the naked women who wander the streets in Denver start making out with each other whenever they hear drums? Come to Denver, innocent people, come to Denver (resonant evil laugh).

Rain Man
05-04-2005, 09:59 PM
I was able to add a poll! I was able to add a poll!

milkman
05-04-2005, 10:10 PM
I was able to add a poll! I was able to add a poll!

I think we just witnessed a Poll climax. :whackit:

Nightfyre
05-05-2005, 04:55 PM
I demand an update on what she said during the exit interview.

Hydrae
05-05-2005, 07:01 PM
270 responses and noone pointed out a potentially innocent scenario. She interviewed for a job she really wanted but it was filled by someone else. She continued to look for work and landed the job with Rainman. The first place called her back after their hire didn't work out and offered her the job she wanted to begin with. Would you blame her for taking that job? :shrug:

FallingAlice
05-05-2005, 08:52 PM
270 responses and noone pointed out a potentially innocent scenario. She interviewed for a job she really wanted but it was filled by someone else. She continued to look for work and landed the job with Rainman. The first place called her back after their hire didn't work out and offered her the job she wanted to begin with. Would you blame her for taking that job? :shrug:

Yes, I would.

Sometimes marketplace timing s*cks. Tough luck.

If your wife came to you one day and said, "Honey, I'm sorry, but the guy who I was really in love with has now become available. Bye." would you think this acceptable behavior?

Hey, I earn my keep as a fundraising consultant. There are gigs I'd like and clients take their good sweet time making a decision.

Then they call and I'm otherwise engaged. Unless it's the kind of work that I can squeeze in, I can't dump my existing clients who I've made a commitment to.

cheeeefs
05-05-2005, 09:02 PM
Yes, I would.

Sometimes marketplace timing s*cks. Tough luck.

If your wife came to you one day and said, "Honey, I'm sorry, but the guy who I was really in love with has now become available. Bye." would you think this acceptable behavior?

Hey, I earn my keep as a fundraising consultant. There are gigs I'd like and clients take their good sweet time making a decision.

Then they call and I'm otherwise engaged. Unless it's the kind of work that I can squeeze in, I can't dump my existing clients who I've made a commitment to.

man, its a hard knock life when you're that old and not retired yet.

that moisture cream must be mighty expensive.

:D

FallingAlice
05-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Uh, if you say so. If career services from my alma mater called me tomorrow I wouldn't have the slightest f*cking interest in what they had to say.

I'm assuming the girl is still at school.

Get a call from the Dean's office just before graduation and most people would be a tad bit nervous and uncomfortable. Even if, practically speaking, there's nothing the Dean can do to you.

FallingAlice
05-05-2005, 09:06 PM
man, its a hard knock life when you're that old and not retired yet.

that moisture cream must be mighty expensive.

:D

Tell me about it. And they're planning on raising the retirement age.

Rain Man
05-05-2005, 09:59 PM
I demand an update on what she said during the exit interview.

A week from tomorrow.

keg in kc
05-05-2005, 10:02 PM
Ethics? Honor?

What are these strange, unfamiliar words?

chappy
05-06-2005, 12:50 AM
while yes i believe it was alittle wrong on her part imo anyone should be able to look for a new job at any time as long as there isn't a written binding contract where money has traded hands in advance. but really this girl was just handling her future the american way. money talks and if she found more money she would be a fool not to walk. Employees should always be able to strive for the best pay and conditions avaliable to them. sorry about your luck but i think you are wrong to be angry with her.

patteeu
05-06-2005, 07:43 AM
I may have to rethink my position on this and on Carl Peterson since the guy with the hammer and sickle in his sig agrees with me. ;)