PDA

View Full Version : Pastabelly: team's rookie money -link

Wile_E_Coyote
05-03-2005, 05:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2052412

KC 9 picks $3,695,300

The Bad Guy
05-03-2005, 05:13 PM
That means the Chiefs need to clear roughly 2.6 million to sign their draft picks.

See ya Johnnie, Shawn...

nascher
05-03-2005, 05:36 PM
doubt it Barber won't be cut. Morton maybe if he dosen't
restructure his deal.

Maslowski
Burntree
Stills
Woods are possible

eazyb81
05-03-2005, 05:38 PM
restructure his deal.

Maslowski
Burntree
Stills
Woods are possible

I would try and trade Woods if at all possible, rather then release him. I think we would take a slight cap hit if we cut him after giving him that big contract a year ago. He was a Pro Bowler in 2003, I think we could get at least a 4th rounder for him.

The Bad Guy
05-03-2005, 05:50 PM
restructure his deal.

Maslowski
Burntree
Stills
Woods are possible

If they are playing Bell at WLB, he will be cut. What are they going to pay him starter money for when he's hurt and a backup?

Morton wouldn't restructure last year.

We wouldn't save anything cutting Stills, who becomes our best special teams player with the departure of Beisel.

I bet it would cost more to cut woods than to keep him.

Tuckdaddy
05-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Morton would be nuts not to restructure if he's asked. Why leave a team that has clearly loaded up for a run at the Bowl.?

Coach
05-03-2005, 06:59 PM
Morton would be nuts not to restructure if he's asked. Why leave a team that has clearly loaded up for a run at the Bowl.?

IIRC, the Chiefs has asked Morton to restructure, but Morton refused to do it.

Not sure if I am 100% correct here, but that's what I remember.

Dave Lane
05-03-2005, 07:03 PM
That means the Chiefs need to clear roughly 2.6 million to sign their draft picks.

See ya Johnnie, Shawn...

No the rookie cap is already figured in for estimate purposes.

Dave

The Bad Guy
05-03-2005, 07:08 PM
No the rookie cap is already figured in for estimate purposes.

Dave

No, it's not.

Phobia
05-03-2005, 07:23 PM
No, it's not.

Since when? That was my understanding as well - not that anybody can thoroughly understand the cap, but I thought I had as good an understanding as any other rank amateur.

the Talking Can
05-03-2005, 07:32 PM
I, too, was under the assumption that the rookie salary cap was already accounted for....

The Bad Guy
05-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Since when? That was my understanding as well - not that anybody can thoroughly understand the cap, but I thought I had as good an understanding as any other rank amateur.

I'm 99.9% sure it's not.

The Dolphins traded Surtain because they needed cap space in order to sign draft picks.

It's impossible to factor in the rookie pool at the start of FA because it hasn't been figured out yet by the league. After the draft, based on the amount of draft picks a team has, that's when they distribute the numbers.

Chiefnj
05-03-2005, 08:28 PM
I'm 99.9% sure it's not.

The Dolphins traded Surtain because they needed cap space in order to sign draft picks.

It's impossible to factor in the rookie pool at the start of FA because it hasn't been figured out yet by the league. After the draft, based on the amount of draft picks a team has, that's when they distribute the numbers.

They have last years figures and the year before and before, etc. They might not know the exact number but they can get a good estimate of what it is going to cost.

The Bad Guy
05-03-2005, 08:31 PM
They have last years figures and the year before and before, etc. They might not know the exact number but they can get a good estimate of what it is going to cost.

What about teams that trade into the 1st round during the draft or teams that get extra picks from trades prior?

I just remember reading that the primary reason that Surtain was shown the door was because they needed money to sign draft picks.

Coach
05-03-2005, 08:34 PM
http://www.nflpa.org/Media/main.asp?subPage=CBA+Extension+Features

Not sure if it will help any.

Entering Player Pool
We are no longer increasing the rookie pool each year by the percentage increase in DGR to a maximum of 10%. Instead, we are keeping it the same for 2002 and 2003, and increasing it by the DGR percentage to a maximum of 5% in 2004 through 2007 as follows:

2002 - flat
2003 - flat
2004 - 5% maximum
2005 - 5% maximum
2006 - 5% maximum
2007 - 5% maximum

As with minimum salaries, we are putting the projected savings from this into a league-wide incentive pool to be divided among rookies on a downs played basis (see paragraph 6 below).

6. Performance-Based Pay Pools
Beginning in the 2002 League Year and continuing through 2007, a fund will be created with a) the difference in newly negotiated Minimum Salaries vs. Minimum Salaries calculated under the method previously in place (which was based upon the % growth in Projected DGR vs. prior year DGR, subject to 10% maximum increase) and b) the difference in the Entering Player Pool vs. Entering Player Pool calculated under the method previously in place (which was based upon the % growth in Projected DGR vs. prior year DGR, subject to 10% maximum increase).
Administration of Pool:

Prior to each League Year, the Pool will be projected on a League-wide basis and deducted from the calculation of the Salary Cap in the same manner as any other player benefit.
Mandatory distribution to players of the entire fund each year.
Players who qualify - to be agreed upon by NFLPA and NFLMC.
Method of determining payments: calculate total downs played, and award the players money based upon each individual's downs played in relation to the team's total downs (%) or such other rules as agreed.