PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for starwars.

marsaray
05-04-2005, 09:43 AM
I hope that the new starwars movie isnt as lame as the other new ones. I like the old ones though, they were good.

Donger
05-04-2005, 09:50 AM
I'm so excited that I can hardly sleep.

Embrace teh geek.

marsaray
05-04-2005, 09:53 AM
Xactly. This is all uber like. U digg? I now dah tings that is goin down.

Saulbadguy
05-04-2005, 09:58 AM
I've got my ticket in my wallet.

trndobrd
05-04-2005, 10:14 AM
About damn time somebody started a Star Wars thread around here!

Chest Rockwell
05-04-2005, 10:16 AM
I've got my ticket in my wallet.

Right next to the condom that's been in there for the last 10 years?

Sorry dude, had to do it. You lobbed that one up there like a hanging curveball that just spins.

tomahawk kid
05-04-2005, 10:18 AM
I hope that the new starwars movie isnt as lame as the other new ones. I like the old ones though, they were good.

Just watch The Empire Strikes Back and save yourself the disappointment.

Lucas is never going to top that one.

beavis
05-04-2005, 10:19 AM
What day does it come out?

Brock
05-04-2005, 10:31 AM
I think this one will be the best of them all.

Saulbadguy
05-04-2005, 11:19 AM
What day does it come out?
Midnight 5/19

DeepSouth
05-04-2005, 11:39 AM
Right next to the condom that's been in there for the last 10 years?

ouch. that's going to leave a mark.

Ninjaman
05-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Do you know how much Lucas has made off those Star Wars films ?

Billions.

I HATE to remind myself i actually payed money to see a prequel .

Why didn't any reviewer spill the beans back then on how BAD those s***y films were.

This last one is supposed to be good. But i will wait for regular folks to review it and not lazy-donothing movie reviewers. Can you even believe there are people out there with jobs reviewing movies ?

Saulbadguy
05-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Do you know how much Lucas has made off those Star Wars films ?

Billions.

I HATE to remind myself i actually payed money to see a prequel .

Why didn't any reviewer spill the beans back then on how BAD those s***y films were.

This last one is supposed to be good. But i will wait for regular folks to review it and not lazy-donothing movie reviewers. Can you even believe there are people out there with jobs reviewing movies ?
Howdy, warpaint99. I see you are back. Have you made it back to kstatefans.com yet?

Deberg_1990
05-04-2005, 11:48 AM
About damn time somebody started a Star Wars thread around here!

where have you been? GoChiefs starts one about every 15 minutes.

Wrasse
05-04-2005, 11:50 AM
I can't wait to read all the bitch posts about it on 5/20.

:)

penguinz
05-04-2005, 11:51 AM
It is just a movie.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-04-2005, 12:36 PM
:rolleyes:

Of course, I may be biased -- I am one of those "people out there with jobs reviewing movies." But I take offense at that "lazy-donothing" comment. Do you know how difficult it is to write a review in 30 minutes less than an hour after you've seen it? I can guarantee it's more difficult than you think.

I also know for a fact "lazy" is not a word to associate with a film critic... besides requiring yourself to NOT turn your brain off during movies like "XXX" and "Sahara," we have to stay focused, critically analyzing the film when everybody else gets to check their brains at the door and hang on for the ride. Believe me, it's not an easy job. Now, again, perhaps I'm a little biased about the lazy comment since I for one hold three jobs and work a minimum of 70 hours a week. Do you do that? I work full-time as a critic and a graphic artist, and part time as a musical director for a church... besides that time, which is all during the day, I work OVERNIGHT on weekends at a television station.

As far as your "regular folks" review... well, I can't really argue with you. Most critics seem to be self-indulgent and movie snobs. While I can't argue that I'm not a movie snob, I am without a doubt one of the most forgiving critics writing today, simply because I review a film based on what I believe its goal to be. For instance, "Sahara" was supposed to be a summer-type Indian Jones wannabe, check your brain at the door and watch shit explode film... mindless entertainment. Did it succeed in my mind? Yes -- it was entertaining. Was it a good film? No.

Jenson71
05-04-2005, 01:38 PM
:rolleyes:

Of course, I may be biased -- I am one of those "people out there with jobs reviewing movies." But I take offense at that "lazy-donothing" comment. Do you know how difficult it is to write a review in 30 minutes less than an hour after you've seen it?

Is there a website that has your reviews?

Wrasse
05-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Yea, so we can call you other names other than lazy? :)

Fried Meat Ball!
05-04-2005, 01:44 PM
Unfortunately, not yet... the publisher of the newspaper is anti-technology (let's just say she's pretty darn old) and wants NOTHING to do with the Internet except for allowing us access to it. But, I'm about to give up and just start posting my reviews on my own website.

Kclee
05-04-2005, 01:44 PM

He's probably too lazy to respond.

Edit: Heh. Guess not.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Yea, so we can call you other names other than lazy? :)
Well, really... I answer to just about anything. I take offense to broad stereotypes like saying all reviewers are lazy donothings... I work my ass off and people think being a critic is easy. Fun? Yes. I love it. Easy? In the immortal words of John Wayne in "Big Jake": Not hardly.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-04-2005, 01:48 PM
He's probably too lazy to respond.

Edit: Heh. Guess not.
See... that's funny.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-04-2005, 01:49 PM
I just realized how I'm discrediting myself here for laziness... I'm talking about how much I work and what am I doing right now? Arguing on a f***in' Internet chat board. I'm a walking contradiction.

And I'm sitting.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-04-2005, 01:55 PM
Besides... make fun all you want. This time tomorrow I'll be watching the climax of Star Wars Ep. 3 (my screener's at 1 p.m.).

Chan93lx50
05-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Besides... make fun all you want. This time tomorrow I'll be watching the climax of Star Wars Ep. 3 (my screener's at 1 p.m.).

You are a dick!

Wrasse
05-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Well, really... I answer to just about anything. I take offense to broad stereotypes like saying all reviewers are lazy donothings... I work my ass off and people think being a critic is easy. Fun? Yes. I love it. Easy? In the immortal words of John Wayne in "Big Jake": Not hardly.
I was just playing...and actually really wanted to see your reviews.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-04-2005, 02:05 PM
I was just playing...and actually really wanted to see your reviews.
I figured your tone was playful, so I didn't take your comment seriously. I'll put out a short review (basically saying whether or not it was good, better or worse than the other prequels, etc.), but I'm not allowed to publish a full review until opening day.

And yes... I am a dick.

Count Zarth
05-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Star Wars? What's that?

Jenson71
05-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Unfortunately, not yet... the publisher of the newspaper is anti-technology (let's just say she's pretty darn old) and wants NOTHING to do with the Internet except for allowing us access to it. But, I'm about to give up and just start posting my reviews on my own website.

Now, did you take classes on film and journalism in college? Do you have certain aspects of a film that you tend to point out more in your reviews? Do you follow any film theories or anything?

Fried Meat Ball!
05-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Now, did you take classes on film and journalism in college? Do you have certain aspects of a film that you tend to point out more in your reviews? Do you follow any film theories or anything?
My bachelor's degree is in film production and I am trying to be a working filmmaker. When I was originally empoyed at the newspaper I was a staff writer and kind of took over entertainment critique as something that interested me. I don't think there's anything I tend to point out more, but I know it always bothers me when something's poorly crafted...

Jenson71
05-04-2005, 05:05 PM
My bachelor's degree is in film production and I am trying to be a working filmmaker. When I was originally empoyed at the newspaper I was a staff writer and kind of took over entertainment critique as something that interested me. I don't think there's anything I tend to point out more, but I know it always bothers me when something's poorly crafted...

What's the biggest thing that sticks out to you in a poorly crafted film? Is it acting, or plot or photography or...?

Have you seen Tuesdays with Morrie? What did you think of that one?

Jenson71
05-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Do you have a favorite critic?

Also, do you think a lot of good critics could make good movies? Obviously, there's the French New Wavers but what about Kael or Ebert?

Fairplay
05-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Hey Jenson, Citizen Kane was on yesterday, did you catch it?

I can't believe this movie has been remade.
I would like to see a remake of it done.

With actor J Depp.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-04-2005, 05:10 PM
I'll tell you, most films can withstand poor photography and editing if the acting is great... but bad acting can destroy an otherwise flawless film.

Never saw Tuesdays with Morrie... but I did watch Kingdom of Heaven last night. It's alright. It's the best sword and sandal epic to come out since Gladiator and kicks the crap out of Troy and Alexander, but if you put it up against Ben Hur or Spartacus it falls flat. It's enjoyable, but seemed a little unfocused, like Ridley Scott didn't know where to go with the story.

Jenson71
05-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Hey Jenson, Citizen Kane was on yesterday, did you catch it?

I can't believe this movie has been remade.
I would like to see a remake of it done.

With actor J Depp.

No, but it is on tonight. TCM. Then the Magnificent Ambersons afterwards, which I haven't seen.

Yeah, a remake of Kane...don't even go there. :D Who'd play Jedediah? Affleck maybe? Cast Jennifer Garner as Susan.

Fairplay
05-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Im not that impressed with Orlando Bloom as an actor, how did he do in The film Kingdom of Heaven, fire me boy?

Fried Meat Ball!
05-04-2005, 05:16 PM
Do you have a favorite critic?

Also, do you think a lot of good critics could make good movies? Obviously, there's the French New Wavers but what about Kael or Ebert?
No, I really don't have a favorite critic... I find most to be too harsh, saying films that aren't meant to be anything more than entertaining are garbage basically because they aren't socially significant. Who cares? First and foremost, going to the movies is about having a good time -- I think most critics have forgotten that.

As for critics making good movies... No. It's not a matter of incapable, it's the problem I mentioned in the first part. Most critics I think would tend to make artsy-fartsy incomprehensible trash that "said something"... the problem is NO ONE WOULD LIKE IT!

I think as a critic I have a fairly unique voice, simply because I look at it for what it's worth. XXX: State of the Union was not meant to be anything other than mindless shit-blowing-up entertainment. Did it succeed? Well... it was mindless with lots of shit blowing up, but it was NOT entertaining. It failed.

Fairplay
05-04-2005, 05:16 PM
No, but it is on tonight. TCM. Then the Magnificent Ambersons afterwards, which I haven't seen.

Yeah, a remake of Kane...don't even go there. :D

I know what you mean about the reamke part. But i would like to see it done by a great film maker. And very good actors.

Perhaps like the film The Great Gatsby with Tom Hanks. :( (Just kidding).

Fried Meat Ball!
05-04-2005, 05:17 PM
I gotta run... third job calling.

Lazy, my ass. :shake:

KCChiefsMan
05-04-2005, 05:18 PM
I plan to see it when the theatres are less crowded

Fairplay
05-04-2005, 05:18 PM
Affleck, LOL.

Bowser
05-04-2005, 05:19 PM

Got nothing going on in August, huh?

Sure-Oz
05-04-2005, 06:42 PM
The new TIME mag has darth on the cover, they seemd to like it!

Count Zarth
05-04-2005, 06:53 PM

That's no fun. I gotta be with my people on opening night. 2 weeks!

DJay23
05-04-2005, 06:59 PM
All I know is that tomorrow night at this time I will be in a Playstation coma as I slash through various enemies in my Episode III video game.

KCWolfman
05-04-2005, 07:10 PM
Got nothing going on in August, huh?
More like late June if it is anything like the last two.

And honestly, it wouldn't bother me to wait that long just to have a silent theater while I watched.

Deberg_1990
05-04-2005, 07:18 PM
And honestly, it wouldn't bother me to wait that long just to have a silent theater while I watched.

I hear ya. Dont even get me started on how rude people are in the theater these days. I half think this is the reason that DVD's and home theaters are so popular these days. I will be there to watch Episode III on opening weekend though. Wouldnt miss it for the world. Ill admit, like most of us guys aged 27-40 who grew up in the 1970's, Lucas has us by the balls.

Over-Head
05-04-2005, 07:39 PM
I hear ya. Dont even get me started on how rude people are in the theater these days. I half think this is the reason that DVD's and home theaters are so popular these days. I will be there to watch Episode III on opening weekend though. Wouldnt miss it for the world. Ill admit, like most of us guys aged 27-40 who grew up in the 1970's, Lucas has us by the balls.

The better half and I went to see Sahara a few weeks back.
This idiot behind me answered his cell phone TWICE and started a 5-10 min conversation.
first time it rang - I turned aound in my seast and gave him a dirty look.

Second time it rang - I turned around and plainly told him, "turn that thing off, shut the fu@k up or get the fu@k out. I didn't pay $28 to hear you tell your buddie about getting laid last night"

Third time it rang I turned around, grabbed his phone out of his hand threw it down the isle where it bounced a few times before bounding down the stairs , sat back down and enjoyed the movie.

**After the show
Azzwipe makes the mistake of punching my shoulder and saying "yo dude, like you owe me a new phone, and if I don't get it i'lll kick your azz"
I stood up grinned, and said "show me the way to the parking lot son."
I thought he was gonna chit his pants.
I'm 6'1, bordering on 6'2", he was all of 5' nutten and "might weigh" 99lbs soaking wet on his over sized pants, and backwards ball cap.

keg in kc
05-04-2005, 09:42 PM
I'm getting sick of Star Wars.

That's right, I just said "I'm getting sick of Star Wars".

Oh, I want to see the movie, I'll probably be there at midnight, trying not to laugh at the idiots in costume (like I have any right to laugh at anybody...) but the goddamn Chewbacca and Yoda commercials are driving me f*cking nuts.

Miles
05-04-2005, 11:21 PM

Did you catch Magnificent Ambersons? I have been wanting to see that one for a while but its hardly on.

Also do you have IFC? They showed The Double Life of Veronique earlier. I havent watched it yet but its by Krzysztof Kieslowski who is a damn fine director.

Jenson71
05-05-2005, 05:15 AM
Did you catch Magnificent Ambersons? I have been wanting to see that one for a while but its hardly on.

Also do you have IFC? They showed The Double Life of Veronique earlier. I havent watched it yet but its by Krzysztof Kieslowski who is a damn fine director.

I taped Magnificent Ambersons. Had to do some studying last night. Will watch it after school today. I'll post my thoughts here afterwards.

I don't have IFC. My friend does though, so sometimes when I'm over there I'll watch it.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-05-2005, 07:30 AM
4.5 hours baby! I'm friggin' stoked!

the Talking Can
05-05-2005, 07:48 AM
I'm too lazy to find it, but the video clip of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog visiting a line of Star Wars nerds waiting for the opening is well worth watching...laughed my ass off (to a pregnant woman dressed up like princess Lea, I think, "tell your son after he's born 'that is that last time you'll ever see a woman's private parts"...I'm paraphrasing, but you get the drift)

google Triumph and Star Wars, look for the 10 minute version...and oh yeah,

This movie will be every bit as terrible as the last two, unfortunetly. You can't pull an interesting movie out of those two steaming piles of crap.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-05-2005, 07:50 AM
"He doesn't like you."

"I don't like you either!"

Wrasse
05-05-2005, 09:17 AM
This has probably been posted somewhere on this board but it was new to me:

http://www.transbuddha.com/index.php/buddha/comments/3902/

It's the l33t version of the trailer. :p

Jenson71
05-05-2005, 05:51 PM
I'll post my thoughts here afterwards.

I'd say it's lesser than his other works I've seen (Kane, Touch of Evil), but not by too far. A few unique photography tricks included, coming mostly at the beginning. For the early scenes, Welles put vaseline on the sides of the camera for an old fashioned look. Aunt Fannie seems to stage act in places, and do perfect in other places. Same as George. All in all it is one of Welles' most regarded works, and it does deserve its praise.

Deberg_1990
05-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Where are your thoughts about RoTS Episode III Fire me?? Didnt you see it this afternoon?? Where are you??

Fried Meat Ball!
05-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Where are your thoughts about RoTS Episode III Fire me?? Didnt you see it this afternoon?? Where are you??
F'in amazing! Still on kind of a high right now, saw EP3 this afternoon, followed by Cinderella Man.

EP3 is the best of the new trilogy, and third overall, IMO. Not as good as Eps 4-5, better that ROTJ.

Still some stilted dialogue, but Christensen is MUCH better thsi time around. A little disappointed with Portman. It's late and my mind is fried. I'll talk more tomorrow.

Frazod
05-05-2005, 10:51 PM
F'in amazing! Still on kind of a high right now, saw EP3 this afternoon, followed by Cinderella Man.

EP3 is the best of the new trilogy, and third overall, IMO. Not as good as Eps 4-5, better that ROTJ.

Still some stilted dialogue, but Christensen is MUCH better thsi time around. A little disappointed with Portman. It's late and my mind is fried. I'll talk more tomorrow.

Thank God I'm going on vacation tomorrow - that'll take some of the sting out of having to wait another two weeks to see this.

As far as the old movies go, I always thought RotJ had the best overall scenes (Luke, Vader and the Emperor) that were unfortunately intermixed with those goddamned teddy bear things. Thank God for the new DVDs - Ewoks go away with the touch of a button. :thumb:

KCWolfman
05-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Thank God I'm going on vacation tomorrow - that'll take some of the sting out of having to wait another two weeks to see this.

As far as the old movies go, I always thought RotJ had the best overall scenes (Luke, Vader and the Emperor) that were unfortunately intermixed with those goddamned teddy bear things. Thank God for the new DVDs - Ewoks go away with the touch of a button. :thumb:
Don't forget the cheesy ghost homage at the end as well.

Most visually stunning of the original three, but definitely the most disappointing film for me of the originals.

Count Zarth
05-05-2005, 11:06 PM
Don't forget the cheesy ghost homage at the end as well.

Most visually stunning of the original three, but definitely the most disappointing film for me of the originals.

Don't forget Harrison Ford gaining 20 lbs. ROFL

KCWolfman
05-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Don't forget Harrison Ford gaining 20 lbs. ROFL
Obviously you have never been frozen in carbonite.

Count Zarth
05-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Obviously you have never been frozen in carbonite.

Wow, I think I just gained a whole new respect for KCWolfman. :D

Taco John
05-05-2005, 11:17 PM
It plays hell with your metabolism, I hear...

Taco John
05-05-2005, 11:19 PM
I'm getting sick of Star Wars.

That's right, I just said "I'm getting sick of Star Wars".

Oh, I want to see the movie, I'll probably be there at midnight, trying not to laugh at the idiots in costume (like I have any right to laugh at anybody...) but the goddamn Chewbacca and Yoda commercials are driving me f*cking nuts.

Commercials? What are these... com...mer...shals of which you speak?

/TIvo snob

Pants
05-05-2005, 11:29 PM
I don't see why people love those movies. Acting/story/direction are average at best. :shrug:

Count Zarth
05-05-2005, 11:31 PM
I don't see why people love those movies. Acting/story/direction are average at best. :shrug:

The story is certainly not average. And the acting and direction in the OT was good stuff.

Anyway, 500 million people can't be wrong. :D

Taco John
05-06-2005, 12:19 AM

Acting and direction, you're onto something...

But only a completely ignorant tool would say that the story is average.

KCWolfman
05-06-2005, 12:26 AM
No, the story was developed a full 30 years ago and has finally come to fruition today. Like the literary Dune, the circle is completed and deserves acknowledgement. Also note the entire genre has changed for the better thanks to Lucas. While it is not Oscar material, it should never be dismissed as something trivial.

Taco John
05-06-2005, 12:51 AM
That's a nicer way of saying "what a moron."

Kudos!

Pants
05-06-2005, 01:08 AM
No, the story was developed a full 30 years ago and has finally come to fruition today. Like the literary Dune, the circle is completed and deserves acknowledgement. Also note the entire genre has changed for the better thanks to Lucas. While it is not Oscar material, it should never be dismissed as something trivial.

Dune > Star Wars in terms of story, IMO. And Taco, I guess I'm a moron for not liking the story as much as you. I guess you're not as fair and balanced when it comes to an issue you care so much about. I agree Star Wars was a huge milestone in the movie industry but so was Citizen Kane and I don't like that movie either (even though the direction is perfect and acting is excellent).

Count Zarth
05-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Dune > Star Wars in terms of story

Dune was a shitty movie, though. They butchered it all to hell.

The sci-fi miniseries was much better.

Also, it's no secret that Lucas drew on parts of the Dune story for Star Wars.

Pants
05-06-2005, 01:13 AM
Dune was a shitty movie, though. They butchered it all to hell.

The sci-fi miniseries was much better.

Also, it's no secret that Lucas drew on parts of the Dune story for Star Wars.

I'm talking about the book.

Taco John
05-06-2005, 01:13 AM
I can understand saying you don't like Star Wars. But to say that the story is anything less than epic is sketchy in my book. The way that story has been weaved together over the last 30 years is nothing short of incredible.

Pants
05-06-2005, 01:16 AM
I can understand saying you don't like Star Wars. But to say that the story is anything less than epic is sketchy in my book. The way that story has been weaved together over the last 30 years is nothing short of incredible.

Heh, I liked KOTOR's story more. One of the best twists in history EVAR!

And yeah, Lucas does have a good imagination.

Oh and it's not that I don't like the story, I just don't think it's so great as to have such a huge following. But, clearly, I'm the minority, maybe I'm just missing something.

KCWolfman
05-06-2005, 01:17 AM
Dune > Star Wars in terms of story, IMO. And Taco, I guess I'm a moron for not liking the story as much as you. I guess you're not as fair and balanced when it comes to an issue you care so much about. I agree Star Wars was a huge milestone in the movie industry but so was Citizen Kane and I don't like that movie either (even though the direction is perfect and acting is excellent).
Of course Dune was greater, it was a novel.

That still does not diminish my point. Without Star Wars, we would still be considering Flash Gordon as the Hautre Coutre of the SCI Fi Industry.

Pants
05-06-2005, 01:18 AM

That still does not diminish my point. Without Star Wars, we would still be considering Flash Gordon as the Hautre Coutre of the SCI Fi Industry.

I completely agree with that, though.

keg in kc
05-06-2005, 02:01 AM
The thing that really separates Star Wars from the rest of the genre for me is the soundtrack.

Taco John
05-06-2005, 02:14 AM

There isn't another movie that could be translated 30 years later and keep connected to the original like this one. At least I can't think of one.

tk13
05-06-2005, 02:15 AM
Please. Get real folks. We all know the real master sci-fi trilogy is Back to the Future. :D

Taco John
05-06-2005, 04:14 AM
I have always thought that "I liked the movie because of the music" was a cop out to the truth that everybody wants to command The Force. The music is just a connection to that urge, IMO.

You will rep me for this post.
These aren't the droids you're looking for.
Fall off your bike Kellen Winslow.

Taco John
05-06-2005, 04:15 AM
He fell off!

CAN YOU FEEL THE POWER SURGE!?

Deberg_1990
05-06-2005, 05:46 AM

Awesume! I cant wait. SO how was Cinderella Man? I love Ron Howard's flicks.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-06-2005, 06:59 AM
Awesume! I cant wait. SO how was Cinderella Man? I love Ron Howard's flicks.
I'm really busy at work this morning (I was off pretty much all day yesterday with the screenings), so most of my posts of any content will be tonight.

In short, Cinderella Man is one of the best boxing movies I've ever seen.

sd4chiefs
05-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Here are some early reviews. :drool:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_3/

alnorth
05-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Here are some early reviews. :drool:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_3/

Wow... those reviews are pretty damned good.

The guy who said that the critics gave the first 2 movies a good review was flat-out wrong. I still remember being shocked while reading a review titled "Star Wars: The Phantom Movie". The critics fuggin hated the first 2 films, but so far the early reviews are freaking universally favorable. I'm sure someone will eventually pan it, but thus far RotS is batting 1.000

Fried Meat Ball!
05-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Star Wars: Episode III: The Revenge of the Sith...

This doesn't have spoilers... if you want to know something, send me a private message.

Ep.3 is the best of the new trilogy, hands down. The first of the new trilogy that vaguely looks like the original, this takes place well into the Clone Wars and the wear and tear on all the things that are pretty and shiny is beginning to show.

Acting is 10 times better than in the previous films. Christensen is back to form and that's a good thing (if all you've ever seen the kid in is Ep.2, check out Shattered Glass). Portman is kind of a disappointment in this one... her role is small, and after kicking ass and taking names in Ep.2, she all but disappears in Ep.3.

There are still plenty of moments, primarily in the first half, of bad scripting... times where you REALLY wish Lucas would hire someone else to write his scripts (HEY, LAWRENCE KASDAN! GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE!). And a few plot holes, but the film nicely ties this trilogy to the next in several scenes. Well done.

Overall, this would be 3rd in the whole franchise for me. Not as good as Empire (what is, right?) or ANH, but better than teddy bears.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Cinderella Man... short version, review not yet written

Maybe a few spoilers. Anyway, I'll make the text here the background color, so if you want to read this, highlight it with your mouse.

Probably the best boxing movie I've seen to date... and I've seen a few. Better than Rocky? Yes. Better than Raging Bull? Different, but yes.

Russell Crowe, despite the fact he's an enormous prick, is a phenomenal actor. His co-stars in this are Renee Zellweger (boy, I'd like to zell her weger) and Paul Giamatti (boy, I'd like to gia his matti... wait... nevermind).

May contain spoilers from here on out...
The story is a based on real life of James Braddock, a man who was on track to become the light heavyweight champion of the world in the late 1920s. Due to a car accident and some bad luck, he broke his hand three times and got to where he couldn't fight anymore... the boxing commission revoked his license and wouldn't let him fight anymore.

That's when The Great Depression struck, and Braddock, his wife (Zellweger) and their three kids, become victims. And the next hour is absolutely heartbreaking.

On a struck of luck in 1933 (if I remember correctly), his manager (Giamatti) finds a fight. The leading contender for the heavyweight championship is without an opponent for a fight the next night, so Giamatti convinced the boxing commission to give Braddock a one-fight commission, along with $250 (which would completely clear Braddock's family's debt and get their electricity and gas turned back on).

Thing happen and Braddock's luck begins to change. Anyway, he becomes litterally a man starving in the breadlines to feed his family in New Jersey during the great depression to, if you're familiar with 1930s boxing, the heavyweight champion of the world.

Calcountry
05-06-2005, 10:20 AM

That still does not diminish my point. Without Star Wars, we would still be considering Flash Gordon as the Hautre Coutre of the SCI Fi Industry.Heck, Star Wars even made it o.k. to be a Trekkie.

Calcountry
05-06-2005, 10:22 AM
I can understand saying you don't like Star Wars. But to say that the story is anything less than epic is sketchy in my book. The way that story has been weaved together over the last 30 years is nothing short of incredible.Dude, Lucas had the outlines for 9 stories all at the beginning, why he chose to run with #4 as his first installment, only he knows.

Jenson71
05-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Cinderella Man... short version, review not yet written
Better than Raging Bull? Different, but yes.

Good lord. Better than Raging Bull? Um...

Fried Meat Ball!
05-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Good lord. Better than Raging Bull? Um...
I know... I'm a HUGE Scorsese fan. But, first off it's different. Cinderella Man is more of a straight up boxing movie. Definitely drama, but more to do with the boxing aspect. Raging Bull doesn't really have much to do with boxing.

Jenson71
05-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Raging Bull is the masterpiece of one of America's greatest directors. Of course, it will be compared to Raging Bull. It's a period boxing film. But if it's 3/4 the film Raging Bull is (which I don't think it will be, or maybe can be) I'd be impressed.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Raging Bull is the masterpiece of one of America's greatest directors. Of course, it will be compared to Raging Bull. It's a period boxing film. But if it's 3/4 the film Raging Bull is (which I don't think it will be, or maybe can be) I'd be impressed.
You've got to recognize Ron Howard as being one of our greatest directors, too. But I do really want to stress that this movie is more like Rocky in the "boxing movie" sense. Besides, I don't really consider Ragin Bull to be Scorsese's masterpiece. But that's just my opinion, and I know I'm in the minority there.

Jenson71
05-06-2005, 02:31 PM
You've got to recognize Ron Howard as being one of our greatest directors, too. But I do really want to stress that this movie is more like Rocky in the "boxing movie" sense. Besides, I don't really consider Ragin Bull to be Scorsese's masterpiece. But that's just my opinion, and I know I'm in the minority there.

I really liked A Beautiful Mind, but that and Apollo 13 does not make him one of the greatest American directors.

Rocky is overrated. How it won Best Picture is one of the most often asked questions about the Oscars. It's arguably the worst BP winner ever.

What do you consider Scorsese's masterpiece to be?

Count Zarth
05-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Dude, Lucas had the outlines for 9 stories all at the beginning, why he chose to run with #4 as his first installment, only he knows.

Something about the technology at the time not being able to bring his vision to the screen.

I still think it's all BS. They didn't add the "Episode IV" to the opening crawl until it started rolling in money...then they realized "Oh shit! Film dynasty!"

Fried Meat Ball!
05-06-2005, 02:48 PM
I really liked A Beautiful Mind, but that and Apollo 13 does not make him one of the greatest American directors.

Rocky is overrated. How it won Best Picture is one of the most often asked questions about the Oscars. It's arguably the worst BP winner ever.

I would argue that Rocky is overrated.... I think it's an outstanding film.

I may have overstepped my bounds saying Howard is one of the greatest. Maybe great American icons is more appropriate? He is in the very least a solid director with the two you mentioned, plus Grinch, Willow, The Paper, The Missing, Far and Away, and Backdraft.

And I would say Titanic is EASILY a worse BP winner than Rocky. EASILY.

As much as I like Raging Bull, I'd put Gangs of New York over it, but his masterpiece, IMO, is The Last Temptation of Christ.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-06-2005, 02:51 PM
I gotta run... I'll see you guys around tonight once I'm at my other job.

Deberg_1990
05-06-2005, 03:56 PM

My favorite Scorcese films are Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, King of Comedy, Goodfellows, Casino, in no particular order. I love Ron Howard flicks as well. I really think hes underrated because he doesnt really have a particular style and he switches film genres with every film. The guys resume is pretty darn impressive though and he can make any type of flick:

Comedy: Night Shift, Parenthood, Splash

Sci-Fi: Cocoon, Willow

Western: The Missing, Far and Away

Drama: Backdraft, Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind

Suspense: Ransom