PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Guard Dwight Lewis Commits to KU

royr17
05-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Lewis commits to KU
(Web posted Wednesday at 5:02 p.m.) Dwight Lews, a 6-foot-5 guard from Louisiana, has committed to Kansas. Lewis, who chose KU over LSU, said he was blown away by his visit to campus and loved the atmosphere in Lawrence surrounding basketball. He said his decision was final and he would make no other visits.

royr17
05-04-2005, 07:33 PM
ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK.

BILL SELF IS DA MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Laz
05-04-2005, 07:35 PM
ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK.

BILL SELF IS DA MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great recruiter, but can the man actually coach them

Skip Towne
05-04-2005, 07:37 PM
great recruiter, but can the man actually coach them
Yes, yes he can.

Mr. Laz
05-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Yes, yes he can.

good

royr17
05-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Bill Self will be a better ball coach then Roy, he recruits better players, and plays a different style of ball, this year its bills team, not roys anymore, and that was a problem cause i imagine wayne, keith, aaron, and michael wanted to run roys style of ball.

chappy
05-04-2005, 08:34 PM
we will be shooting lights out gurella radio turn that sh!t up

Mr. Kotter
05-04-2005, 09:54 PM
PBJ PBJ PBJ....

Galindo Who? PBJ

Anyong Bluth
05-04-2005, 10:14 PM
i'm so excited for KU Bball - whats even sweeter is i'm even excited for KU football - can't wait to tailgate in the fall for both the hawks and chiefs!

wildcat09
05-04-2005, 10:18 PM
i'm so excited for KU Bball - whats even sweeter is i'm even excited for KU football - can't wait to tailgate in the fall for both the hawks and chiefs!

me either. The summer kills me. The time between the end of march madness and the first week of football sucks :banghead:

dtrain
05-04-2005, 10:36 PM
Bill Self will be a better ball coach then Roy, he recruits better players, and plays a different style of ball, this year its bills team, not roys anymore, and that was a problem cause i imagine wayne, keith, aaron, and michael wanted to run roys style of ball.

The Hawks will be really good in two years. Self had to get rid of Roys player's who don't know a thing about tough hard nosed in your face "D" he kept saying they we soft and not physical. That is the the kind of players he wants. The freshmen didn't play much this year but next year they will get their shot and learn. Two years from now it is on!!!

royr17
05-04-2005, 11:22 PM
The Hawks will be really good in two years. Self had to get rid of Roys player's who don't know a thing about tough hard nosed in your face "D" he kept saying they we soft and not physical. That is the the kind of players he wants. The freshmen didn't play much this year but next year they will get their shot and learn. Two years from now it is on!!!

I totally agree with you.

Here's how I see the lineup set for this year.

PG Mario Chalmers
SG J.R. Giddens
SF Micah Downs
PF Julian Wright (he can play power forward)
C C.J. Giles (weighs 245 wants to bulk up to 260)

royr17
05-05-2005, 07:55 AM
http://www.kusports.com/news/mens_hoop_recruiting/story/114388

Prep Lewis picks KU (and this time he means it)
By Gary Bedore, Assistant Sports Editor

Thursday, May 5, 2005

This time, Dwight Lewis insists his decision is final.

Lewis, a 6-foot-5 junior basketball shooting guard from Archbishop Rummel High in Metairie, La., who orally committed to Kansas University on April 19, then reneged on April 20, Wednesday recommitted to KU over finalist Louisiana State.

This commitment -- unlike the first -- follows an official campus visit to KU.

Last weekend's two-day trip to Lawrence with his parents cemented in Lewis' mind his desire to be a Jayhawk.

"It's the first time I've been to Kansas, but it won't be the last. I plan on coming back," Lewis quipped Wednesday. "I loved the atmosphere. It's a powerhouse.

"It's their pro team in Lawrence," added Lewis, who averaged 27.5 points and 9.7 rebounds a game his junior season for 26-12 Rummel High. "It's Kansas basketball. It's what they live for. I like that, playing before a packed house every night. Who wouldn't want it?"

Lewis never seriously entertained being part of KU basketball until the Jayhawk coaches started watching him play last summer and all through the school year.

"I mean, if you like basketball as a kid, you have to like Kansas. When I was young, I never thought I'd go to Kansas, but knew about Kansas. It's an honor to be able to go there," he said.

A good student with a 3.4 grade-point average, Lewis said last week's change of heart was "kind of a misunderstanding with my dad. I wanted to make sure to visit, to check out the campus. Now I know I want to go to Kansas."

Lewis said he spent the most time on his visit with J.R. Giddens and Jeremy Case. He has played point guard, shooting guard and forward at his high school.

He's ticketed to play shooting guard at KU.

"He definitely will be a contributor early on. He's a scorer," said Rummel coach Steve Alfonso, who compares Lewis to former Villanova player Kerry Kittles, who also hails from Louisiana. "His best asset is he has a great mid-range game. He can handle the ball and pull up quick."

Lewis says his style of play will fit in well at KU.

"They will be more a run-and-gun team," Lewis said. "They had Wayne Simien. They had to go to the post. With Wayne Simien, who wouldn't go to the post? Now they will be learning to run."

And what will Lewis contribute?

"Shooting and getting to the rack, scoring the ball," he said.

Lewis is looking forward to doing all those things on the court this summer. He has been weakened by mono for several weeks. He says he was bed-ridden for a week and lost 20 pounds.

Now, however, he's on the mend and looking forward to a productive offseason.

" I want to have a good season and good summer. I want to go out on top," said Lewis, who was also recruited heavily by USC, Oklahoma and Florida.

He plans to stay four years at Kansas.

"I mean, if the NBA comes, it comes. Right now, I'm looking forward to my next goal, winning a championship," said Lewis, a fourth-team Parade All-American who currently is ranked 84th by rivals.com. "With Julian (Wright), Micah (Downs) and Mario (Chalmers) coming in and other guys that are there, we can be top-five in the country."

Oral commitments are not binding. Lewis will sign his letter-of-intent in November. KU has two scholarships remaining in the Class of 2006, one of which could go to a big guy like 6-9 Darrell Arthur of Dallas.

One recruit in the Class of 2007 will be in Lawrence for this weekend's Sport2Sport Jayhawk Invitational.

Cole Aldrich, 6-10 from Bloomington, Minn., who has made an unofficial visit to KU, will play for the Minnesota Magic 17-and-under team that plays three games Saturday -- 8 a.m. at Allen Fieldhouse and 1:50 p.m. and 4:10 p.m. at Horejsi Center.

royr17
05-08-2005, 05:11 PM
bump

royr17
05-08-2005, 05:15 PM
http://www.kusports.com/news/mens_hoop_recruiting/story/114412

Recruit enjoys attention
KU pursuing Aldrich, who feels like ‘star' at Jayhawk Invite

Sunday, May 8, 2005

Cole Aldrich, a 16-year-old high school sophomore from Bloomington, Minn., couldn't help but feel like a member of Kansas University's basketball team Saturday at Allen Fieldhouse and Horejsi Center.

"I get the star treatment," the 6-foot-11, 240-pound Minnesota Magic power forward said after scoring 17 points in a 69-67 morning loss to Houston's Roundballers and 18 in an 88-66 afternoon victory over Kansas Diaper Dans at the Sport2Sport/Jayhawk Invitational.

"After our first game, two guys came up to me. I didn't even know who they were. They were like, ‘Hey Cole, how's it going?' Some of 'em walk by and they say, ‘Oh, that's Cole.' It's pretty cool walking around and people knowing my name. It's kind of weird, but kind of cool."

Aldrich is the hottest KU hoops recruit playing in this weekend's youth tournament. His presence attracted a couple hundred fans, including many members of the current Jayhawk team, who hope the Jefferson High all-stater chooses KU over Minnesota, Kentucky, Michigan State, North Carolina and others.

Aldrich indicated KU was the leader at this early stage of his recruitment. He's been in Lawrence four times -- last year for Late Night in the Phog and the Texas game -- as well as the KU-Chattanooga game two seasons ago.

"I think I know most of the main streets already. I've got to learn the back streets now," said Aldrich, who cell-phones current KU sophomore J.R. Giddens from time to time.

"When I was here for the Texas game ... ESPN Game Day was here. We sat in the second row. I'm like, ‘Do you know how much money this seat would cost?' I was like, ‘Wow, real cool,''' he said.

Though just now old enough to drive a car -- "I turned 16 on Halloween, I'm one of the scary kids" -- Aldrich on the court seems years older and wiser.

He hit nine of 13 shots in the afternoon game -- most off dunks -- and grabbed 10 boards.

"A lot. I can go on for days," Aldrich said, asked what he needed to improve on. "I'd like to score a little more, get my jump hook down, get it dominant."

After playing in about 70 AAU games this summer, Aldrich will take five official campus visits and choose a college. He's still wide-eyed about the process right now, receiving his most recent scholarship offer from North Carolina coach Roy Williams on Thursday. KU offered long ago.

"He said, ‘You've got a scholarship here waiting for you.' I said, ‘Dang,''' Aldrich said of Williams. "Things (in recruiting) are definitely starting to get more hectic now."

Shattered backboard: Defending champion H-Squad of Southern California, which advances to today's final round, beat K.C. Keys and Randolph Boys Club on Saturday.

H-Squad also was winning a practice game against Colorado Chaos when chaos broke loose at Horejsi Center.

Davon Jefferson (6-7 senior, Lynwood, Calif.), who combined for more than 70 points in both games, and sophomore sensation Tyrone Shelley (6-7, San Diego Crawford) put home a violent tip dunk, shattering a backboard.

Shelley, who has KU on his early list of schools, suffered a gash on his arm, making his second trip to the hospital in two days. He suffered a severely sprained wrist Friday night.

"If ever there's been a tough, hard-nosed kid, it's Tyrone," H-Squad coach Rick Isaacs said. "I'd say he'll play (today). Nothing stops that kid. If there's a better sophomore on the West coast, I haven't seen him."

Of the shattered rim, Isaacs said: "I saw something like that 25 years ago. The force of the tip jam from two players like that just shattered the backboard. We were going to finish the game with another goal, but there was too much glass around. It was too dangerous for an exhibition game."

Today's 17-and-under finals are set for 1:30 p.m. at Allen Fieldhouse. Finals in the 15 and 16 age groups will tip at 12:15 with preliminary games starting at 8:30 a.m.

Magic shot: Aldrich wasn't the only standout on his Minnesota Magic team. Blake Hoffarber, a 6-3 sophomore from Hopkins High, in March tossed in an 18-footer from the seat of his pants, sending his Hopkins High team into a second overtime in a state-title victory over Eastview.

"That's the shot they show on ESPN. He's a national star," Aldrich said. "We've been playing together four years now. He's a great player."

Giles beefier: KU freshman C.J. Giles has started to bulk up. The Seattle native, who was listed at 220 this past season, said he now weighed 240.

Good grub: Playing two to three AAU games in a day can make the 400 or so players in town mighty hungry. "We went to Cici's ... all-you-can-eat pizza, what more can a kid ask for?" Aldrich said with a big grin.

royr17
05-08-2005, 05:17 PM
http://www.kusports.com/news/mens_basketball/story/114403

Defending champs start fast
H-Squad wins opener in Jayhawk Invitational

Saturday, May 7, 2005

An alley-oop dunk at the buzzer by one of the top high-school small forwards in the country put an exclamation mark on defending champion Southern California H-Squad's opening victory at the Sport2Sport/Jayhawk Invitational.

"It was all right," said a modest Davon Jefferson, a smooth-shooting, high-flying 6-foot-7 small forward from Lynwood, Calif., who topped the 20-point scoring mark in a resounding 94-77 victory over the Jackson (Miss.) Panthers at Allen Fieldhouse.

"We've got athleticism. We've got shooting. If we play hard and play better than we did today, we can win the whole thing again," Jefferson said.

The 190-pounder signed with Lon Kruger's Nevada-Las Vegas program in November, but is headed next season to a prep school.

Jefferson was MVP of last year's Jayhawk Invitational, scoring 35 points in H-Squad's title-game victory over Texas' Top Prospects.

"I think he has a chance to be a starting-level three-man in the NBA," H-Squad coach Rich Isaacs said of Jefferson, who will re-open his recruiting to all major colleges this year at prep school. "He still has some work to do. He's an unbelievable kid off the court, very competitive on the court."

Jefferson glided into the lane and was hacked hard, swishing two free throws to up 69-63 lead to eight points with about four minutes left. Jeremy Hazell, who hails from L.A.'s Fremont High, then had a steal, basket and foul shot to give the defending champs some breathing room.

Jefferson quieted the Panthers' final comeback -- sinking a 15-footer to give the defending champs a 76-67 lead with two minutes left.

"It's an expensive trip for us, but we never thought twice about not coming back here," Isaacs said. "They (players) really like it. It's relaxing for them. It's a little different than Vegas or L.A.

"They are all aware of the history of this building," he added of Allen Fieldhouse.

Indeed.

"Personally I like the atmosphere here, getting to come and play in the Kansas gym," Jefferson noted.

One of H-Squad's players has KU on his long list of prospective schools. Smooth San Diego Crawford High sophomore forward Tyrone Shelley, who averaged 27.8 points and 11.2 rebounds last past season, scored at will around the basket as well as flipping in outside jumper after outside jumper.

The 6-7 player was en route to a monster game until he fell hard on a layup try, injuring his left wrist upon landing on the floor. He iced the wrist most of the second half.

"I went up to finger roll over the guy. When I came down he stepped on my wrist," Shelley said. "We got away with a victory. That's all that matters."

Shelley's high school teammate, Tyler Tucker, dished a whopping 16 assists for the winners over a strong Mississippi team led by Oklahoma State power forward signee Kenneth Cooper, who had double digit points and rebounds.

"That was a good team we beat," Tucker said. "I heard they have one of the best teams here. We can play better than that, but it was a good start for us."

H-Squad will play games at 8 a.m. and 10:20 a.m. today at Horejsi Center. The 17 and under finals are set for 1:30 p.m. Sunday at Allen Fieldhouse.

KU recruit Cole Aldrich, a 6-10 sophomore from Bloomington, Minn., will play three games today for the Minnesota Magic: 8 a.m. at Allen Fieldhouse and 1:50 and 4:10 p.m. at Horejsi.

DJay23
05-08-2005, 05:28 PM
PF Julian Wright (he can play power forward)

This is wishful. I think Moody will start the year in this spot. Julian should play the small with Downs off the bench as instant offense. Julian is way too skinny to play the post in college. Give him a year in that shiny new weight room and then maybe. His style seems more suited take guys off the dribble, not post them. Then again, I only saw him in the two games.

I also expect J-Hawk to get significant minutes off the bench. Robinson needs to show some desire.

Kaun may also start at center. He got the most PT of any of the freshmen last year, and started to show some promise toward the end of the year.

Mastashake
05-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Poor guy must have not gotten the invite from UNC...

If he's excited about KU, I'd hate to see what would happen if he visited Duke, UNC, or UK. At least there he wouldn't lose to Bucknell...lol.

Mastashake

Boozer
05-08-2005, 05:53 PM
This is wishful. I think Moody will start the year in this spot. Julian should play the small with Downs off the bench as instant offense. Julian is way too skinny to play the post in college. Give him a year in that shiny new weight room and then maybe. His style seems more suited take guys off the dribble, not post them. Then again, I only saw him in the two games.

I also expect J-Hawk to get significant minutes off the bench. Robinson needs to show some desire.

Kaun may also start at center. He got the most PT of any of the freshmen last year, and started to show some promise toward the end of the year.

How many minutes do you see "Junkyard Dog" Jackson getting?

Pants
05-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Poor guy must have not gotten the invite from UNC...

If he's excited about KU, I'd hate to see what would happen if he visited Duke, UNC, or UK. At least there he wouldn't lose to Bucknell...lol.

Mastashake

I'm happy he didn't visit that powerhouse program in Columbia.

Mastashake
05-08-2005, 06:08 PM
I'm happy he didn't visit that powerhouse program in Columbia.

Okay...

Pants
05-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Okay...

It's just funny how MU fans keep talking shit. It's kind of like Uganda talking shit on the US.

Mastashake
05-08-2005, 06:22 PM
I'm a Mizzou fan, but only when it comes to Football. It seems very obvious the Snyder doesn't value each game equally. He can come on and beat KU, and then lose to some podunk team. If he would prepare for the easy games as well as he does for the hard ones, he may be worth a crap.

But KU isn't near as good as they think they are, either.

Mastashake

Boozer
05-08-2005, 08:00 PM
I'm a Mizzou fan, but only when it comes to Football. It seems very obvious the Snyder doesn't value each game equally. He can come on and beat KU, and then lose to some podunk team. If he would prepare for the easy games as well as he does for the hard ones, he may be worth a crap.

But KU isn't near as good as they think they are, either.

Mastashake

Pinkle and Snyder: Two distinct ways to go about sucking.

Mastashake
05-09-2005, 07:46 AM
Pinkle and Snyder: Two distinct ways to go about sucking.

I don't see Pinkle sucking. Pinkle works well with what he has. I'm seeing Mizzou get better than they were 3 years ago, so I can't complain about progress.

The only thing that boters me is how they lose to KU the last 2 years when they've had the better team. Kinda like losing to the Raiders, it's never okay to do.

Mastashake

Lzen
05-09-2005, 08:01 AM
I'm a Mizzou fan, but only when it comes to Football.

Bandwagon fans are the worst.
:shake: