PDA

View Full Version : I just woke up

cheeeefs
05-05-2005, 07:39 AM
Just want to know what you guys think

I just woke up and the power went out overnight, I'm an hour and a half late for work. However, they will never know if I am supposed to be gone or not or probably notice that I am gone at all with the way that the command structure is organized. However, if I do show up they will for sure notice that I'm late. Should I skip the entire day on the 95% chance that they will be completely clueless? Or should I go in and just give them the lame but true power outage excuse.

munkey
05-05-2005, 07:52 AM
Just want to know what you guys think

I just woke up and the power went out overnight, I'm an hour and a half late for work. However, they will never know if I am supposed to be gone or not or probably notice that I am gone at all with the way that the command structure is organized. However, if I do show up they will for sure notice that I'm late. Should I skip the entire day on the 95% chance that they will be completely clueless? Or should I go in and just give them the lame but true power outage excuse.

Tell them you got gas....really, really bad gas and won't be able to make it in today...

~Actually had an employee (female) do that one time~ :shake:

jspchief
05-05-2005, 07:53 AM
If it were me I'd go in and fess up.

If they do find out you are gone, it's a lot easier to exlain sleeping in than skipping the entire day. You may feel silly, but it's something that could happen to anyone.

If you're dead set on skipping the day, call them and say you were up all night sick, finally got to sleep at 4am and then slept in.

Mr. Kotter
05-05-2005, 07:54 AM
Get a clock with a battery backup.

Go in, and fess up. As long as it hasn't happened before...

cheeeefs
05-05-2005, 07:56 AM
yeah, I'm going to start using my cell phone from now on. Nope it hasn't happened before, but this is my sixth day on the job so it really sucks. Especially since this boss is a psycho that is enamoured with firing people. I'll just cross my fingers and go in.

Coach
05-05-2005, 07:59 AM
Especially since this boss is a psycho that is enamoured with firing people. I'll just cross my fingers and go in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/SwedeCarlson/Funnies/Trump.jpg

YOU'RE FIRED!!!

:p

bkkcoh
05-05-2005, 08:02 AM
Isn't that one reason to set your cell phone alarm, you do have a cell phone, correct?

Saulbadguy
05-05-2005, 08:03 AM
Live a little. Skip the day, and see if they notice.

If they do, claim that you called in. Or something like that.

chagrin
05-05-2005, 08:04 AM
Well, if the power actually went out, there is proof. What kind of job/field of work?

chiefs4me
05-05-2005, 08:05 AM
Only 6 days on the job...I would go in to work late and tell the truth. If the power really went out, then they will know it also.

chagrin
05-05-2005, 08:06 AM
Yuo could always tell them that you had your first "date" I mean, appointment with Dr Jellyfingers and you felt like being alone for a while...

Saulbadguy
05-05-2005, 08:11 AM
Only 6 days on the job...I would go in to work late and tell the truth. If the power really went out, then they will know it also.
Haha..I missed that part. If I were your boss and found out, i'd fire ya. Nothing personal, but when you are late in your 6th freaking day on the job, that usually is the beginning of a trend.

jspchief
05-05-2005, 08:14 AM
Haha..I missed that part. If I were your boss and found out, i'd fire ya. Nothing personal, but when you are late in your 6th freaking day on the job, that usually is the beginning of a trend.I was thinking the same thing. Of course, the fact that you're actually considering skipping the entire day on your sixth day on the job pretty much says it all.

chiefs4me
05-05-2005, 08:16 AM
Haha..I missed that part. If I were your boss and found out, i'd fire ya. Nothing personal, but when you are late in your 6th freaking day on the job, that usually is the beginning of a trend.

I didn't want to say anything, but only being there 6 days...I would think they would really notice him being gone.

cookster50
05-05-2005, 08:18 AM
I think they would miss you when they notice no burgers were being flipped on the grill. McDonald's is like that.

Phobia
05-05-2005, 08:19 AM
You should skip the whole day. I mean, can you actually buy anything with Canadian currency anyway?

kc-nd
05-05-2005, 08:21 AM
Pretend you are Ferris Bueller - or however you spell his name.

And create your own version of Ferris Beuller's day off.

Rain Man
05-05-2005, 08:33 AM
This really hurts your job application with my firm.

Oh, hey. That's an idea. Tell them that you were at an interview for another job, which is your right in this era where employer loyalty is low. Then let them know that you failed the psychological testing, so you plan to keep showing up until something better comes along.

CosmicPal
05-05-2005, 08:44 AM
Just tell them you were doing research on a message board. I'm sure they'll forgive you....

Rain Man
05-05-2005, 08:46 AM
Just tell them you were doing research on a message board. I'm sure they'll forgive you....

Speaking of jobs....(inquiring look)...????

Iowanian
05-05-2005, 09:17 AM
This really hurts your job application with my firm.

This would be a good time to add a * to my application.

*worked 1.5hrs later than scheduled yesterday
**5 minutes early today

cheeeefs
05-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Its not the beginning of a trend, I'm only 22 but I've been working since I was 14 and have only been late to work 3 times. I don't think that's horrible. I'm generally very punctual. I went about two and a half years straight being at least 15 minutes early every day. I have no idea why the power went out today, I just woke up to flashing alarm clock numbers.

The boss wasn't very happy that I was late, but as expected he didn't know that I wasn't there. He can't really fire me because right now is a transition period for the building and he needs all the manpower he has, on top of that I'm willing to bet I'm turning out to be one of his best workers aside from this mornings debauchery. I'm also willing to bet if I had just went to one of the job sites and started working nothing would have happened. I'm part of a maintenance team for 8 buildings and 2000+ rooms for campus residence, there are 40 of us and we split up into 8 different teams. I'm a floater and not dedicated to one team in particular, I just go wherever and I just kind of decide who seems to be short a man or two in the beginning. That's why no one would notice that I didn't show up, because no one expects me to be on their team on any given day.

Oh well, thanks for the early advice. I'm glad I didn't hang around long enough to listen to Phobia as I regard his advice above all others, asside from Kevin's* of course

*as long as I'm still in the hunt for the job

ENDelt260
05-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Heh... I used to stay at home randomly w/out notice. Then one day I did show up to work, and they fired me. Some reward for showing up. As long as I stayed in bed all day they just kept direct depositing money in my checking account. I really blew it.

Count Zarth
05-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Heh... I used to stay at home randomly w/out notice. Then one day I did show up to work, and they fired me. Some reward for showing up. As long as I stayed in bed all day they just kept direct depositing money in my checking account. I really blew it.

So they fired you for not showing up or something else?

Either way...funny story, in an office space sort of way. "I did nothing...and it was everything I thought it could be!"

ENDelt260
05-05-2005, 04:24 PM
So they fired you for not showing up

No, they fired me for showing up. You didn't read the story, did you? (Seriously, though, yes I was fired for excessive absenteeism.)

I was most definitely Peter Gibbons... except, I didn't start dating Jennifer Anniston. Damnit.

Skip Towne
05-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Its not the beginning of a trend, I'm only 22 but I've been working since I was 14 and have only been late to work 3 times. I don't think that's horrible. I'm generally very punctual. I went about two and a half years straight being at least 15 minutes early every day. I have no idea why the power went out today, I just woke up to flashing alarm clock numbers.

The boss wasn't very happy that I was late, but as expected he didn't know that I wasn't there. He can't really fire me because right now is a transition period for the building and he needs all the manpower he has, on top of that I'm willing to bet I'm turning out to be one of his best workers aside from this mornings debauchery. I'm also willing to bet if I had just went to one of the job sites and started working nothing would have happened. I'm part of a maintenance team for 8 buildings and 2000+ rooms for campus residence, there are 40 of us and we split up into 8 different teams. I'm a floater and not dedicated to one team in particular, I just go wherever and I just kind of decide who seems to be short a man or two in the beginning. That's why no one would notice that I didn't show up, because no one expects me to be on their team on any given day.

Oh well, thanks for the early advice. I'm glad I didn't hang around long enough to listen to Phobia as I regard his advice above all others, asside from Kevin's* of course

*as long as I'm still in the hunt for the job
You're a floater all right.

munkey
05-05-2005, 04:32 PM

I've done so much with so little for so long I'm now qualified to do everything with nothing...

Calcountry
05-05-2005, 04:35 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/SwedeCarlson/Funnies/Trump.jpg

YOU'RE FIRED!!!

:pYeah , you minute hording clock watcher.

cheeeefs
05-05-2005, 04:36 PM
You're a floater all right.

"never argue with a fool, he'll take you down to his level and beat you with experience"