PDA

View Full Version : Can Ketchup Preasurize?

cadmonkey
05-05-2005, 11:35 AM
I was eatting lunch downstairs and I opened a thing of Heinz Ketchup. The damn thing shot ketchup out at me like a shaken up bottle of coke. I didn't think this was possible, I guess I am wrong.

keg in kc
05-05-2005, 11:36 AM
Preasurize?

I had a bottle explode in a restaurant once, actually. Unscrewed the cap and BOOM! All over the table and the guy across the aisle.

I don't remember what the waitress said, but apparently you can add something to the bottle to make it do that.

eazyb81
05-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Ha, a couple of my friends in college knew how to make the bottle do that. Of course they would do it at every restaurant we went to back then, so old people would have the same reaction that you're having now.

Nightfyre
05-05-2005, 11:39 AM
Ha, a couple of my friends in college knew how to make the bottle do that. Of course they would do it at every restaurant we went to back then, so old people would have the same reaction that you're having now.
Now thats useful, drop a hint.

PastorMikH
05-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Did you by chance take the bottle of ketchup out of the fridge, open it while it is cold, then let it sit until it reached room temp before opening it again? A bottle that is half full has a lot of air space that would expand (pressurize) as it warmed up to room temp.

Amnorix
05-05-2005, 11:42 AM
Off a random Google-found website:

this prank will probably have to be prepared beforehand and only works if you get school dinners. try and get hold of some baking soda, empty it into a bottle of ketchup, close the lid and shake it. next time someone opens it, it does actually EXPLODE. so much fun...

Nightfyre
05-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Do you live at a high altitude? It could have been bottled at a lower altitude, creating more pressure within the bottle...

Phobia
05-05-2005, 11:45 AM
It's that damned Al Quaida cell in Boston again. You should report it immediately.

ptlyon
05-05-2005, 11:49 AM
Did you happen to rub it a lot? I've got an appendage that tends to do that when it is rubbed a lot.

keg in kc
05-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Did you happen to rub it a lot? I've got an appendage that tends to do that when it is rubbed a lot.You have an appendage that shoots ketchup? Wow.

Rain Man
05-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Did you by chance take the bottle of ketchup out of the fridge, open it while it is cold, then let it sit until it reached room temp before opening it again? A bottle that is half full has a lot of air space that would expand (pressurize) as it warmed up to room temp.

Back in my high school steak house days, ketchup explosions were not uncommon. I think this was why.

As a dishwasher/cook, I found them quite humorous.

Mike in SW-MO
05-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Created a "Tang" geyser when my family traveled to Colorado for a ski trip. The paper seal from the jar bought in Missouri was bulged up like a dome. I punched a spoon through it at a orange geyser shot out making a citric mushroom cloud in the kitchen.

ptlyon
05-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Now that's some 'Tang!

cadmonkey
05-05-2005, 12:26 PM

I have no idea the bartender handed it to me.

Rain Man
05-05-2005, 12:27 PM
Here in Denver you have to be careful when opening yogurt. It's apparently all made down low, because if you open it up fast it'll throw yogurt at you.

The lesson: always point the yogurt container at someone you don't like.

ptlyon
05-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Here in Denver you have to be careful when opening yogurt. It's apparently all made down low, because if you open it up fast it'll throw yogurt at you.

Bet the chicks dig that...

"Hey Margret - did you just eat some yogurt or did you have "lunch" with Sam?"

ptlyon
05-05-2005, 12:33 PM
"Hey Missy - you've got yogurt in your hair."

"That ain't yogurt."

chiefs4me
05-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Well now think about it...who did you vote for? it was a Heinz bottle right........

jcl-kcfan2
05-05-2005, 12:36 PM
I was eatting lunch downstairs and I opened a thing of Heinz Ketchup. The damn thing shot ketchup out at me like a shaken up bottle of coke. I didn't think this was possible, I guess I am wrong.

I don't know, we stopped buying heinz products...