PDA

View Full Version : Any guitar players out there?

CanadianChief
05-05-2005, 01:35 PM
I've only been playing my acoustic guitar for about one and a half years now and would like to buy an electric. I'm looking at the $200-$350 price range and want something that will last me a few years. Anybody have any ideas on what's the best available?

To top it off I'm a lefty and choices in stores are limited so I can't really walk in and try a guitar out for feel and sound because they don't usually have anything.

chagrin
05-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Lefty here too. I always have to have them ordered for me. If you string it upside down the result is not very good. Look to the 500 dollar range and you should find a nifty geeter for yourself

MOhillbilly
05-05-2005, 01:40 PM
i can wicked keytar.

ptlyon
05-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Sorry I can't help here, but I'll post anyway. Have a question for a righty that might know.

I am right handed and tried to pick up playing right handed, but it doesn't feel right. I have always wanted to play left handed. In fact, I play a killer left handed air that will knock your socks off...

But anyway, any right handers that play left handed because it just felt natural?

Thanks.

Lzen
05-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Start here:

www.musiciansfriend.com

phisherman
05-05-2005, 01:44 PM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=81/g=guitar/s=electric/search?c=6248

try that....lots of left handed guitars, les pauls, strats, teles

bp

Lzen
05-05-2005, 01:44 PM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=81/g=clearance/search/detail/base_pid/518099/

Fezzic
05-05-2005, 01:45 PM
I bought 2 acoustics from www.guitarloft.net last year, and I was VERY satisfied. Give the guy a call and chat with him, since most of what he has and can get aren't on the site. I saved an absolute fortune with him on my Ibanez AW1050ECERLG and got my wife a less expensive starter acoustic. Very, VERY satisfied with both, and I highly recommend the place.

Lzen
05-05-2005, 01:47 PM
I bought 2 acoustics from www.guitarloft.net last year, and I was VERY satisfied. Give the guy a call and chat with him, since most of what he has and can get aren't on the site. I saved an absolute fortune with him on my Ibanez AW1050ECERLG and got my wife a less expensive starter acoustic. Very, VERY satisfied with both, and I highly recommend the place.

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for that Ibanez AW 1050?

chagrin
05-05-2005, 01:50 PM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=81/g=clearance/search/detail/base_pid/518099/

Octavarium June 7th - yeah baby!
:toast:

Lzen
05-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Octavarium June 7th - yeah baby!
:toast:

A fellow Dream Theater fan, eh? Welcome aboard. :thumb: I will have my copy pre-ordered so that I have it on that day (hopefully). :)

Fezzic
05-05-2005, 01:53 PM
including shipping it was $525 with a case and a few extras (couple different strings, a decent electric tuner, etc...)

In perfect condition, and quite a bit less than I had seen them for on ebay/ads (when you can even find one)

Lzen
05-05-2005, 01:55 PM
including shipping it was $525 with a case and a few extras (couple different strings, a decent electric tuner, etc...)

In perfect condition, and quite a bit less than I had seen them for on ebay/ads (when you can even find one)

Holy cow!!! So it was used but in perfect condition with a case and extras? Sweet deal.

Fezzic
05-05-2005, 01:58 PM
yep, and I did get a little better deal than his list price because I bought my wife's AW300 at the same time. Good stuff, and give him a call :)

MOhillbilly
05-05-2005, 01:59 PM
this is me in 87' pre skinhead.

my mom sowed the batman patches onto my jeans so as not to hurt my moneymakers.

Phobia
05-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Vegas Dave owns/operates several Vegas area music stores and has a web presence as well.

Mcan works for a guitar store, IIRC.

Braincase is a hobbyist guitar maker.

There are countless players on ChiefsPlanet.

Lzen
05-05-2005, 02:05 PM
yep, and I did get a little better deal than his list price because I bought my wife's AW300 at the same time. Good stuff, and give him a call :)

I may check him out sometime down the road. I've already gotten most everything I want as far as guitars and equipment. Yeah, I know we guitar players are always wanting more. :D I guess the next axe I buy will be a 7 stringer with the low B. Can't afford it right now, though. :(

Brock
05-05-2005, 02:07 PM
this is me in 87' pre skinhead.

my mom sowed the batman patches onto my jeans so as not to hurt my moneymakers.

OMG. You're David Lee Roth.

chagrin
05-05-2005, 02:11 PM
A fellow Dream Theater fan, eh? Welcome aboard. :thumb: I will have my copy pre-ordered so that I have it on that day (hopefully). :)

Cheers friend, I'll refrain from starting a whole DT thread here on the CHIEFS board...but I'm tempted :hmmm:

Phobia
05-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Cheers friend, I'll refrain from starting a whole DT thread here on the CHIEFS board...but I'm tempted :hmmm:

Don't worry, there are a dozen of them started by Lzen. Heh.

Lzen
05-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Don't worry, there are a dozen of them started by Lzen. Heh.

Hey
:cuss: That would be a baker's dozen. :p

Marcellus
05-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Schecter makes a great guitar at a great price. You can't really beat what you get for the money. IMHO.

4th and Long
05-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Being a guitar player myself for 30 years, I have the following advice to add.

1. You get what you pay for. Buy a cheap guitar, get a cheap sound.

2. Save your money and buy something good.

3. Practice, practice, practice.

4. The only time I would buy a cheap guitar is when you can pry my Strat from my cold, dead hands. Come to think of it, I'd be dead and probably would have a difficult time making a purchase. Nevermind.

Bob Dole
06-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Bob Dole is just starting an attempt to learn, but the 6 experienced players who have played Bob Dole's Ibanez SZ520QM in the past week have had nothing but good things to say. Bob Dole picked it and the nice Ibanez backpack gig bag up from a drummer who decided he didn't have the time or energy to mess with it. It's got less than 5 hours on it.

Added an original Pignose and an old Zoom 505 and Bob Dole now has a completely portable electric rig he can drag around for free lessons, and it sounds seriously sweet when someone else plays it. The total invested in it right now (cables, picks and all) is $342.

Look around for musicians who have a well-paying day job (doctors, lawyers, car dealership owners) and you can find some bargains on quality equipment you might not otherwise be able to fit in your budget.

Dayze
06-09-2005, 08:52 PM
yours truly; 15 years of playing; 7 guitars, everything from an American Telecaster, an birlliant 1982 Yamaha Acoustic, to a French classical guitar.

The price range you listed is a good one; very competitive. It's not the $100 range everyone seems to start out with - as most of those instruments are merely there for academics.

My biggest advice would be to get the one that feels the best, and sounds the best to YOU. Catch 22 for you, however, since youre a lefty - and as you've discovered there aren't many left handed display selections out there.

Most of the 'low end' name brands will fit in your category. For instance, a Fender Strat/Telecaster made in Mexico is about $1K cheaper than the American made ones; and the difference is immdiately apparent. But, for someone of your skill (unless you're a prodigy) and the time you've invested, you'll find good guitars in this range. And eventually, as you are doing now, you'll move up again.

I, personally, would stay away from those guitars with Floyd Rose (floating bridge) tremelos. They are fun, stay right in tune with deep whammy bends/pulls, but when you pop a string, it's a nightmare to replace them if you don't have the skill. I'm sure you'll hear arguments either way on this. Popping a string on those requires proper re-tensioning of the springs, etc. Too much to screw with. That is, unless you play like Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Vai, etc.

check out www.musicyo.com. I've purchased a Kramer off the site, and have had no problems with it. However, when you get something you haven't played before, you'll probably need it set up to how you like. And, if you usually play on a dirty channel (not to be confused with late nite Spice channel), then you can get away with getting one you like and having it set up as you're not going to be going for a clean tone, etc. For instance, my Kramer blows pipe when played clean; but kicks on the dirty side. My Telecaster is beautiful clean; unreal even.

For once, this is a thread I know something about (as opposed to Manual Transmission Fluid changes) - so feel free to shoot the questions. :thumb:

Dayze
06-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Being a guitar player myself for 30 years, I have the following advice to add.

1. You get what you pay for. Buy a cheap guitar, get a cheap sound.

2. Save your money and buy something good.

3. Practice, practice, practice.

4. The only time I would buy a cheap guitar is when you can pry my Strat from my cold, dead hands. Come to think of it, I'd be dead and probably would have a difficult time making a purchase. Nevermind.
:clap:

Yup. I've never once regretted shelling out $1600 on my Telecaster.

ChiefFripp
06-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Ibanez probably make the best guitars for that price range.

Dayze
06-09-2005, 09:31 PM
another note; once you're playing at a level that doesn't require intense concentration on the basics, etc;; you'll begin to 'hear' what your playing and how it sounds.
I'll never forget; I'd been playing about 7 years or so on a 'good' guitar, and had a chance to play a Taylor.....OMG. It was at that point where I realized there is a huge difference in sound from brand-to-brand, and guitar-to-guitar. The Taylor was unreal.

My dad bought a Huss & Dalton hand-made guitar.....wow. Unreal as well. Better be for $3K.

$.02

4th and Long
06-09-2005, 09:51 PM
another note; once you're playing at a level that doesn't require intense concentration on the basics, etc;; you'll begin to 'hear' what your playing and how it sounds.
I'll never forget; I'd been playing about 7 years or so on a 'good' guitar, and had a chance to play a Taylor.....OMG. It was at that point where I realized there is a huge difference in sound from brand-to-brand, and guitar-to-guitar. The Taylor was unreal.
Yup. You'll also begin to notice after years of playing that strings DO make a difference in the quality of the sound as well. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Dayze
06-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Yup. You'll also begin to notice after years of playing that strings DO make a difference in the quality of the sound as well. Don't let anyone tell you different.
Yep.
And if you play an acoustic...please for the love of god, change your strings often.
Nothing worse than having a guy/hearing a guy play a guitar with oxidized strings that are 5 months old that can't even tune to the correct note/pitch.

note - Black strings are bad.
I try to change mine once a month or so, depending on the amount of I've played them, or if I've kept it out of the case for exented periods.

My preference is the Elixr brand, and the Martin Phosphorous Bronze.

digi2fish
06-09-2005, 09:57 PM
it doesn't really matter about being lefty, uh?

digi2fish
06-09-2005, 09:59 PM
Vegas Dave owns/operates several Vegas area music stores and has a web presence as well.

Mcan works for a guitar store, IIRC.

Braincase is a hobbyist guitar maker.

There are countless players on ChiefsPlanet.

anybody on the planet running a guitar store in LA ?

Dayze
06-09-2005, 10:02 PM
it doesn't really matter about being lefty, uh?
amen.

wasn't there a blues guitarist out there who played lefty but didn't restring his guitar as such (ala Hendrix)?
I saw him once on Austin City Limits....its was cool to watch. Allthe cords, riffs, etc....looked so bizarre.

Can't remember his name.

Then there's the guy that was in that 80's movie "Blind Date" when Willis takes his date to the studio....
I think that guy played primiarly using a tapping technique but on full chords. Saw a clip on him too......amazing.

digi2fish
06-09-2005, 10:10 PM
wasn't there a blues guitarist out there who played lefty but didn't restring his guitar as such (ala Hendrix)?
I saw him once on Austin City Limits....its was cool to watch. Allthe cords, riffs, etc....looked so bizarre.

....hard to image that, the figers most be twisted...

Then there's the guy that was in that 80's movie "Blind Date" when Willis takes his date to the studio....
I think that guy played primiarly using a tapping technique but on full chords. Saw a clip on him too......amazing.

Stanley Jordan?

ZepSinger
06-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Have played lead guitar for 36 years. Current guitars are a 1976 Gibson Flying V and a 1991 Jackson Dinky reverse w/ Floyd Rose Tremelo, outfitted with a MIDI pickup. Fav players are Hendrix, Schenker, Malmsteen, SRV, etc.

Fav volume- 11

Z

htismaqe
06-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Stanley Jordan?

Yep.

Earthling
06-09-2005, 10:47 PM
G&L Bass, Ibanez custom electric, Martin 12 string and Washburn 6 string acoustic. I miss my Gibson Hummingbird that I had for a few years. And I use to have a Les Paul Jr. that a friend of mine broke the head piece off of accidently.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-09-2005, 11:14 PM
Sorry I can't help here, but I'll post anyway. Have a question for a righty that might know.

I am right handed and tried to pick up playing right handed, but it doesn't feel right. I have always wanted to play left handed. In fact, I play a killer left handed air that will knock your socks off...

But anyway, any right handers that play left handed because it just felt natural?

Thanks.

Just the opposite actually. I am a southpaw that just felt natural playing right handed. Lefty guitars are pretty tough to come across in stores. I much prefer them that way, because before I buy a guitar I want to play it and see how it feels. Check out a Jackson, or an Ibanez both solid brands that are pretty nice for the beginning player. You should be able to find a decent one brand new for under $400. Good luck, and enjoy :)

Demonpenz
06-09-2005, 11:22 PM
i am looking to buy a new acustic. I have a washborn right now that was awesome to learn on because the action sucks and it built my strength up so much that when i play good guitars it's like silk. I have been playing alot lately and i want to play bass, i have a bass guitar it's just no fun playing 5 notes with no one to jam too. I am trying to learn some blues shuffle type shit so i can write about my ex lovers and stuff

digi2fish
06-09-2005, 11:37 PM
....should have a ChiefsPlanet guitar jamming gig sometime...

Demonpenz
06-10-2005, 12:42 AM
....should have a ChiefsPlanet guitar jamming gig sometime...

I think there will be some axe playing when the 37 forever shindig goes down. I would like to just be around people who play more to maybe learn some easy scales to solo

Bob Dole
06-10-2005, 09:01 AM
I think there will be some axe playing when the 37 forever shindig goes down. I would like to just be around people who play more to maybe learn some easy scales to solo

Bob Dole will probably toss his gear in the car and drag it along.

htismaqe
06-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Good Lord there's alot of Ibanez shredderheads here...

Lzen
06-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Bob Dole is just starting an attempt to learn, but the 6 experienced players who have played Bob Dole's Ibanez SZ520QM in the past week have had nothing but good things to say. Bob Dole picked it and the nice Ibanez backpack gig bag up from a drummer who decided he didn't have the time or energy to mess with it. It's got less than 5 hours on it.

Added an original Pignose and an old Zoom 505 and Bob Dole now has a completely portable electric rig he can drag around for free lessons, and it sounds seriously sweet when someone else plays it. The total invested in it right now (cables, picks and all) is $342.

Look around for musicians who have a well-paying day job (doctors, lawyers, car dealership owners) and you can find some bargains on quality equipment you might not otherwise be able to fit in your budget.

Sounds like you got a good deal. Customers at Musician's Friend who bought that guitar have lots of good things to say. It's rated very high.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/product/reviews/base_pid=519987/rpp=10/

Ibanez are good guitars. :thumb:

ChiefFripp
06-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Nice Ibanez.String through design with a tunamatic like bridge,I bet it sounds nice. That would probably be a good guitar, especially for that price.

After playing a Parker Fly for the last few years I want to go vintage and get a Jazz Master or Jaguar. Ofcourse a PRS artist series would be nice but they are way out of my price range ATM.

Lzen
06-10-2005, 09:26 AM
Yep.
And if you play an acoustic...please for the love of god, change your strings often.
Nothing worse than having a guy/hearing a guy play a guitar with oxidized strings that are 5 months old that can't even tune to the correct note/pitch.

note - Black strings are bad.
I try to change mine once a month or so, depending on the amount of I've played them, or if I've kept it out of the case for exented periods.

My preference is the Elixr brand, and the Martin Phosphorous Bronze.

Yes, yes, yes. I have a good friend that started playing about 6 months after I did. He's got a bad hand sweating problem. Sometimes the strings on his guitars are rough feeling (corroded). That drives me crazy. I don't see how anyone can stand it.

And the guitar player in my last band didn't like to change his strings. I was pretty much changing mine every 2 weeks or so. He would change them maybe every 6 months. Damn good guitarist but the man didn't know squat about how much better his ax sounded with new strings. Either that or he was just too cheap.

I like GHS Boomers for the electrics and Martin bronze for the acoustics.

BTW new guitar players, dayze touched on it a little in this post. I would recommend placing your guitar in the case when you're not playing it. It is a much more controlled environment for it as far as temp and humidity. And those things make a huge difference on how your guitar feels, sounds, and stays in tune.

Bob Dole
06-10-2005, 11:25 AM
BTW new guitar players, dayze touched on it a little in this post. I would recommend placing your guitar in the case when you're not playing it. It is a much more controlled environment for it as far as temp and humidity. And those things make a huge difference on how your guitar feels, sounds, and stays in tune.

But it looks so pretty hanging on the custom wall hanger.

CanadianChief
06-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Just to give you all an update on the guitar search...I ended up buying a Yamaha for around $300 and a Peavey Amp for just over $200. The Yamaha has two humbuckers with a single coil pickup in the middle and the Amp puts out 25W along with 9 digital effects such as flanger, echo, chorus, etc. I've had them both for a couple weeks now and they seem to be okay.

Next step is to take some lessons.

Dayze
06-12-2005, 10:08 PM
Just to give you all an update on the guitar search...I ended up buying a Yamaha for around $300 and a Peavey Amp for just over $200. The Yamaha has two humbuckers with a single coil pickup in the middle and the Amp puts out 25W along with 9 digital effects such as flanger, echo, chorus, etc. I've had them both for a couple weeks now and they seem to be okay.

Congrats on the new axe. :clap:

Dayze
06-12-2005, 10:12 PM

Just remember - try not to become 'too' dependent on those effects, etc - specifically any type of delay. I've known many a guitarist who, by playing through a flanger/delay, etc, sounded like they knew what they were doing. Then when they played 'straight up' - they left a lot to be desired.

Keep on playing man - all you've got is time. :thumb:

Sparhawk
06-12-2005, 11:43 PM
I was fortunate enough to have inherited a Gretsch Super Chet. What a nice guitar for old b;ues & country tunes. For rock I much prefer the Strat.

CanadianChief
06-13-2005, 12:14 AM
Just remember - try not to become 'too' dependent on those effects, etc - specifically any type of delay. I've known many a guitarist who, by playing through a flanger/delay, etc, sounded like they knew what they were doing. Then when they played 'straight up' - they left a lot to be desired.

Keep on playing man - all you've got is time. :thumb:

I try not to depend on the effects too much but I must admit that I tend to crank the distortion up once in awhile to mask my sloppy fingering.

UKMike
06-13-2005, 04:59 AM

Thanks.

If it feels right then it is right I guess. I'd avoid it if you can though, as like everyone says left handed stuff is more to get and its normally more expensive.

Gravedigger
06-13-2005, 06:07 AM
I've played the upright bass for twelve years now. I got into electric bass about five years ago started two bands which one almost made it except for lead singers ego and stupid arse girlfriend who thought he should find a softer tone to accomodate his voice... bitch and then I bought an acoustic guitar and trying to learn chords and write my own stuff on that cause it's difficult to write your own music on bass.

Braincase
06-13-2005, 06:35 AM
OK, here's my $ .02.

I love guitars. Ironically, I'm left handed, but I play right handed - the additional dexterity I have in my left hand is best utilized for fretting.

I participate in a bulletin board for guitar players called "Jam Session", and a bunch of these guys have a hard-on for a little guitar manufacturer called "Agile". They make copies of a lot of guitars, and apparently their LP copies are superior to Epiphone Pauls. If I were loking for a decent axe for $200-$300 bucks, I'd give 'em a try.

Only place to buy Agiles on the 'net - Rondo Music (http://www.rondomusic.net/).

Check this out... (http://www.rondomusic.net/ad2500ambleft.html)

Dinny Blues
06-13-2005, 09:02 AM
Guitar is one of the instruments I played on my sojourn to the back of the stage.
I have some guitars, but don't play them when anyone is looking.

1959 Gibson LG-1

1936 Slingerland Songster

2001 Epiphone 335 dot

A guitar player that I work with alot, who has been a staunch Gibson guy for over 30 years played it a few times so I could hear what it really sounds like. I was very impressed for a sub-$500 guitar, and so was he.
His opinion was if it had $100 Gibson pickups installed, it would be a very close match.

I think that PRS soapbar for 500 bucks looks like a great deal.

Dinny