PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here use Virtual PC's?

dirk digler
05-06-2005, 09:51 AM
Just curious of what your experience is with them. I am trying to convince my boss maybe we should use Virtual PC's for several PC's running legacy programs that are causing us fits in 2000/XP.

Also curious which is better MS Virtual PC 2004 or VM Ware Workstation.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Saulbadguy
05-06-2005, 11:34 AM
I've used VMWare quite a bit, and it works great.

dirk digler
05-06-2005, 12:34 PM
I've used VMWare quite a bit, and it works great.

I just downloaded a copy of it so I am going to try it but I am curious what you like about it.

Saulbadguy
05-06-2005, 01:31 PM
I just downloaded a copy of it so I am going to try it but I am curious what you like about it.
Well, the ability to run multiple OS's on the same machine without dual booting is nice. We are going to use it where I work to set up test network environments, consisting of Netware and Linux VM's.

dirk digler
05-06-2005, 03:18 PM
Well, the ability to run multiple OS's on the same machine without dual booting is nice. We are going to use it where I work to set up test network environments, consisting of Netware and Linux VM's.

Thanks Saul. I am really like VMWare much better than MS Virtual PC. I have them both running right now and it is working good.

I have grand ideas to use this software but I doubt we could afford it.

Simplex3
05-07-2005, 01:20 PM
I run VMWare and love it. I have no experience with the MS product because all of our computers run *nix or OSX.

We use VMs to test new builds, our support guys can load up dozens of versions of Winblows at various patch levels because it never seems to behave exactly the same way, especially IE.

I wouldn't plan on running more than 3 or 4 VMs on a single workstation at a time unless your machine is a real beast. RAM will be key if you plan to go over that.