PDA

View Full Version : Archiving in Outlook - what am I doing wrong?

Rain Man
05-06-2005, 01:05 PM
Okay, my outlook folder is massive and I need to pare it down, but I need to save all of the old e-mails. The archive function seems pretty straightforward, but whenever I try to do it, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

KCWolfman
05-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Not sure. It is pretty straightforward stuff:

For newer files
1. Create a new folder in Outlook
2. Move all the files to be archived to the new folder
3. Click on the Go Menu
4. Click on the files to be archived
5. Click on Archive this folder and all subfolders
6. Put in today's date in the "Archive Items older than" field
7. Either accept the location provided at the bottom of the box or click on browse and select where you want the files archived.
8. Click on OK

For continuing Archiving:
1.Click on Tools
2. Click on Options
3. Click on Other
4. Enter all options you would like including how often to archive and how old to archive

But honestly, I don't archive anything. Hard drive space should not be an issue today. Just create folders in Outlook and move them to the appropriate folder. Hell, you can even automatically move them with the wizard according to topic, sender, or date.

Rain Man
05-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Hmm. I finally got it to archive, but the size of the original file only decreased by about 1 percent. This isn't good, because I'm bumping up against the maximum file size.

Baby Lee
05-11-2005, 08:38 AM
Hmm. I finally got it to archive, but the size of the original file only decreased by about 1 percent. This isn't good, because I'm bumping up against the maximum file size.
What is maxfilesize. Cuz I'm pushing 55 MB for my backup.pst.

BigRedChief
05-11-2005, 01:34 PM
If you are having an issue with the pst size then just create a new pst and move "stuff: in it. No need to reinvent the wheel here. As a general rule you should be able to go to 1.5gb on a pst without an issue. Microsoft says 2.0gb. Who you gonna trust me or Bill?