PDA

View Full Version : So I was watching ESPN a min. ago......

CoMoChief
05-08-2005, 09:55 AM
And the theme of the segment was "Raiders For Life". I guess there was this former Raiders player that was very ill or had some type of disease that made him less fortunate somehow. Anyways, it showed Marcus Allen in that group of people. He was making gestures into the camera that he was a Raider for life and stuff to that nature.

Anway after seeing that it kind of mad eme wonder a little bit. I thought he hated the Raiders. I understand that we didnt get him until his later part of his career and that he played most of his career in the black and silver. But what I don't get is why he chose to be a Kansas City Chief in his induction into the Hall of Fame. That's where people are mostly going to remember him by let's say within the next 30 years or so. I understand that they were teammates for a long time, but don't be making gestures in the camera that you're a "Raider for Life" whenever YOU decided to take your NFL time capsul and put it with a Chiefs uniform.

Phobia
05-08-2005, 09:57 AM
A significant portion of a player's post career income will be for autographs and personal appearances. Marcus is playing both sides of the fence. Can you blame him? I don't, but then I won't get all weepy and drop $1000 on one of his Chiefs jerseys either.

CoMoChief
05-08-2005, 09:59 AM
A significant portion of a player's post career income will be for autographs and personal appearances. Marcus is playing both sides of the fence. Can you blame him? I don't, but then I won't get all weepy and drop $1000 on one of his Chiefs jerseys either.

Or the income could come from Car Dealerships! :p

RNR
05-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Marcus had a problem with Davis not the Raid-ers. The two road together in the Hall of Fame parade. I didn't see the show but would guess the former player is Steve Smith who has Lou Gehrig's disease. He played fullback with Allen in L.A. Steve is a great guy who I was lucky enough to eat dinner with and give a ride to the airport. I was stunned when I heard he was ill.

DJay23
05-08-2005, 10:20 AM
But what I don't get is why he chose to be a Kansas City Chief in his induction into the Hall of Fame. That's where people are mostly going to remember him by let's say within the next 30 years or so.

I disagree. In 30 years Marcus will be remembered for that run in the Super Bowl, not anything he did in KC or as a "Chief."

KChiefs1
05-08-2005, 10:21 AM
On a side note here:

Patrick Surtain is going to be on the NFL Network this week according to a promo I just saw. :)

chief52
05-08-2005, 10:33 AM
But what I don't get is why he chose to be a Kansas City Chief in his induction into the Hall of Fame.

I did not think you chose which team you went in as in the NFL HOF. They just have your bust and your stats. I thought only baseball had that. Maybe I am wrong.

4th and Long
05-08-2005, 10:41 AM
I disagree. In 30 years Marcus will be remembered for that run in the Super Bowl, not anything he did in KC or as a "Chief."
Don't take this peronal but, the above statement is idiotic.

Allen signed with the Chiefs at age 33, where he made a remarkable turnaround to become his team's featured back. He retired in 1997 as the all-time leader with 123 rushing touchdowns and his 587 catches are the most receptions by a running back.

Marcus came to Kansas City and not only revived his career, but flourished. He was a big part of the Chiefs' success, leading the team to the playoffs four of the five seasons he played for us.

Marcus scored more touchdowns rushing during his tenure with the Chiefs than any back in Kansas City had before him. He was incredibly consistent when it came to gaining first downs or touchdowns in short yardage situations, and his blocking skills, unselfish play and leadership qualities were a big reason why the Chiefs won 55 games with him on the field.

J Diddy
05-08-2005, 12:01 PM
I did not think you chose which team you went in as in the NFL HOF. They just have your bust and your stats. I thought only baseball had that. Maybe I am wrong.

you're not

Phobia
05-08-2005, 12:21 PM

Allen signed with the Chiefs at age 33, where he made a remarkable turnaround to become his team's featured back. He retired in 1997 as the all-time leader with 123 rushing touchdowns and his 587 catches are the most receptions by a running back.

Marcus came to Kansas City and not only revived his career, but flourished. He was a big part of the Chiefs' success, leading the team to the playoffs four of the five seasons he played for us.

Marcus scored more touchdowns rushing during his tenure with the Chiefs than any back in Kansas City had before him. He was incredibly consistent when it came to gaining first downs or touchdowns in short yardage situations, and his blocking skills, unselfish play and leadership qualities were a big reason why the Chiefs won 55 games with him on the field.

That's all very interesting. What do you remember about James Lofton?

PastorMikH
05-08-2005, 12:50 PM

Lofton, played for the Packers for 8-9 years, then I think he took 2 years off (Or was it prison or something similar to that) before going to the Bills and helping to lose a couple of Superbowls, then he finished up with the eagles.

Now he's a WR coach for Marty - there's a guy that doesn't get to do much. "C'mon Marty, let's run a pass play to one of my guys."

PastorMikH
05-08-2005, 12:51 PM
I hate it when I hit quote instead of edit

:banghead:

Valiant
05-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Im sorry Its only 2005 now, and I remember him as a Raider...

Frankie
05-08-2005, 01:25 PM
And the theme of the segment was "Raiders For Life"...

I think you misunderstood. The theme was: "RAIDERS- four to life."
:p

Gav Daddy
05-08-2005, 01:53 PM
r aiders
leaguewide accolades
s.b. mvp
won a s.b.
league mvp
league rushing leader

chiefs
team accolades

his best highlights are not being shown in a red and yellow uni.....

every time they replay s.b. 18, they show one of the most remarkable runs ever.

he was in s and b.

you will remember him as a chief. the rest of the world will think he did his damage in the nfl while he was a raider.

ChiefsCountry
05-09-2005, 11:59 AM
I just saw that segment on ESPN, I hate the Raiders with a passion but that was a pretty touching story. Also really shows what a class act Marcus Allen is.

Monty
05-09-2005, 12:42 PM

That he's a fairly tall guy and cares a great deal about his childrens' shoes, or so he did at the time. Well, at least that's what it looked like when he was behind me in line at Just For Feet awhile back. ;)

For some reason, he wasn't very impressed with my Chiefs hat, but we did have a nice chat while we waited for the nice Oriental lady in frount of us to find a credit card that would work. :)

vailpass
05-09-2005, 01:00 PM

To the entire football world outside of a few Chiefs fans Marcus Allen is, was, and always will be a Raider. Marcus' career was made with the Raiders, he played out his declining years with KC.
Do you think Joe Montana is a Chief or a 49'er?

DaWolf
05-09-2005, 01:28 PM
I never really warmed up to Marcus like a lot of Chiefs fans did. Once a Faider always a Faider. I'm still pissed off at Albert Lewis for that reason...

milkman
05-09-2005, 06:52 PM
I never really warmed up to Marcus like a lot of Chiefs fans did. Once a Faider always a Faider. I'm still pissed off at Albert Lewis for that reason...

Same here.

And I think Gay Daddy and Vailpass are right.

Marcus best years were as a Raider, and most fans will remember him as a Raider.

Ultra Peanut
05-09-2005, 08:46 PM
For some reason, he wasn't very impressed with my Chiefs hat, but we did have a nice chat while we waited for the nice Oriental lady in frount of us to find a credit card that would work. :)And now it's time for Do You Care? with your host, Psicosis!

Do you care that, while "Asian" is the preferred term to describe people of Asian descent (and "Oriental" has become frowned upon here in the States), across the pond in the UK they generally refer only to Indians (dot-dot, not woo-woo) as "Asians?" They still prefer the term "Oriental" to describe those from the area they tend to call the "Far East," while the only wide usage of "Oriental" in the US is when the word is describing a rug.

This has been Do You Care, with your host, Psicosis!

dtebbe
05-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Lofton, played for the Packers for 8-9 years, then I think he took 2 years off (Or was it prison or something similar to that) before going to the Bills and helping to lose a couple of Superbowls, then he finished up with the eagles.

Now he's a WR coach for Marty - there's a guy that doesn't get to do much. "C'mon Marty, let's run a pass play to one of my guys."

I worked with James a few times when he was a analyst for CNNSI. He was always a real nice guy to work with, unlike most sportscasters (which in the case of CNNSI are now unemployed!)

DT

dtebbe
05-09-2005, 10:19 PM
And now it's time for Do You Care? with your host, Psicosis!

Do you care that, while "Asian" is the preferred term to describe people of Asian descent (and "Oriental" has become frowned upon here in the States), across the pond in the UK they generally refer only to Indians (dot-dot, not woo-woo) as "Asians?" They still prefer the term "Oriental" to describe those from the area they tend to call the "Far East," while the only wide usage of "Oriental" in the US is when the word is describing a rug.

Hey, at least he didn't say gook beyotch.... :shrug:

DT

Monty
05-09-2005, 10:24 PM
And now it's time for Do You Care? with your host, Psicosis!

No......Asian, Oriental....WTF? :whackit:

Manila-Chief
05-09-2005, 10:44 PM
"And now it's time for Do You Care? with your host, Psicosis!"

And now Dr. Psicosis ... your next assignment is to expound upon ..... "Occidental"

Ultra Peanut
05-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Go expound yourself. I'm off the clock.

Ultra Peanut
05-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Actually, I just wanted to say, "go expound yourself."

Manila-Chief
05-09-2005, 11:21 PM
So, Dr. Psicosis doesn't really care??? I'm so disappointed!!! Just when I was learning so much from his "Do You Care"....

Ultra Peanut
05-10-2005, 12:29 AM
The answer is, I don't.

Manila-Chief
05-10-2005, 04:11 AM
"The answer is, I don't."

But, you were doing so good. I mean, man, that was good stuff!! I am impressed.

Why don't you just keep going with it. Make stuff up as you go along. Keep fluff flowing ... or is Dr. Psicosis' "Do You Care?" program too far above the ebb and flow of ordinary life to do that sort of thing???