PDA

View Full Version : I freakin' LOVE Sunflower Broadband

Braincase
05-08-2005, 12:11 PM
I'm a Sunflower Broadband customer (Lawrence) and it's a privately owned network. Twice this week I've taken a look at the "Video On Demand" titles here at the house. Earlier this week, it was Superbowl I from NFL Films. Yesterday it was the '86 Matchup between the Raiders & the Chiefs at Arrowhead. All free, part of my cable package (HiDef, all the movie channels, phone service, cable modem, yada yada).

Byootiful!

C-Mac
05-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Was that a Monday nighter?

Braincase
05-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Was that a Monday nighter?

My mistake - this was the '86 game at the LA Colliseum. Revenge game for a loss at Arrowhead, but this is the game where the Chiefs pretty much eliminated the Raiders from the playoffs while we were still hunting down a wild card spot. CHiefs ended a 14-year playoff drought that year behind the defensive play of Derron Cherry, Kevin Ross, Lloyd Burruss and Albert Lewis.

That was fun... gave me an excuse to watch it again.

PhogPhanTim
05-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Do you have Sunflower Broadband internet service? It's...great...My internet connection briefly cuts out at least three times per hour.

Phobia
05-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Do you have Sunflower Broadband internet service? It's...great...My internet connection briefly cuts out at least three times per hour.

I hope you're not paying for that kind of service. You should demand a credit until they get that fixed. I've had the problem for 4 months with Earthlink DSL. I think they finally got it fixed on Friday. But I've not been paying a DSL bill.

KCChiefsMan
05-08-2005, 03:25 PM
are you kidding me? it's the worst service I've ever had with cable TV. I don't have the HiDef box yet though....I should get it since I have an HDTV, I don't really watch much TV but their little digital box sucks ace and you have to change the batteries on their remote once a week.

Braincase
05-08-2005, 03:58 PM

Mine very rarely cuts out, and then for brief periods of time. I'm in the newer part of town, SW Lawrence, so it could very well be wired in a more modern fashion that other parts of the city. Also, if you live in a more densely populated area, you're broadband service is going to be adversely effected by the shear number of boxes and users.

I've got the Moxi/HDTV package with the Moxi mate unit.

KCChiefsMan
05-19-2005, 12:27 AM
ok, I retract my statement earlier in this thread. I just got hooked up myself with the HD Tier with Sunflower and it ROCKS!!!!!!

I have one problem tho, on a few of the local channels on HD and ESPN HD, the size of the picture does not fit the screen all the way. I think its because when you use HD then it has to automatically figure out the size it wants to use and you cannot change it. Do you have this problem?
another question Braincase, how did you get all of the movie channels for free? I'm paying now about $100 per month on Cable Internet/Basic Cable/Expanded Basic/HDTV Tier with no HBO or anything like that since she told me it would be $15 more just for HBO, but I'll probably still order HBO anyways.

But it does rock! the picture quality is AWESOME!! I can't help going back and forth to the HD channel and the regular channel with the same thing on to compare

Fat Elvis
05-19-2005, 12:37 AM
ok, I retract my statement earlier in this thread. I just got hooked up myself with the HD Tier with Sunflower and it ROCKS!!!!!!

I have one problem tho, on a few of the local channels on HD and ESPN HD, the size of the picture does not fit the screen all the way. I think its because when you use HD then it has to automatically figure out the size it wants to use and you cannot change it. Do you have this problem?
another question Braincase, how did you get all of the movie channels for free? I'm paying now about $100 per month on Cable Internet/Basic Cable/Expanded Basic/HDTV Tier with no HBO or anything like that since she told me it would be $15 more just for HBO, but I'll probably still order HBO anyways.

But it does rock! the picture quality is AWESOME!! I can't help going back and forth to the HD channel and the regular channel with the same thing on to compare

On Demand comes with the subscription to pay channels. There are a few On Demand things that are free, but most are not.

Get HBO if for no other reason than they have the best shows on tv anymore; I'm not talking about movies, but rather thier own series.

I have to agree with Braincase in that my internet rarely goes out, but then again, I'm in a newer part of town. (heck, my place isn't even quite finished yet...)

As soon as I get the theater room finished, I'll have some of the Larryville folks over for some football. I just hope I get it done in time for the season.

Miles
05-19-2005, 12:41 AM

Not everything on the HD channels will actually be in HD which will fill up your entire screen. Only certain programs are. The ones in standard defninition that are broadcast on those cannels will have the black bars as part of the signal. You can screw with your zoom/stretch settings but it will distort the picture.

KCChiefsMan
05-19-2005, 12:52 AM
Not everything on the HD channels will actually be in HD which will fill up your entire screen. Only certain programs are. The ones in standard defninition that are broadcast on those cannels will have the black bars as part of the signal. You can screw with your zoom/stretch settings but it will distort the picture.

huh, ya I see what you are saying, the channels with the black bars clearly aren't HD. That kind of sucks since Sunflower advertises it as HD and there are only like 8-10 offered channels in HD right now. But the TV will not let me adjust the picture screen on this mode for some reason

Manila-Chief
05-19-2005, 12:56 AM
What TV do you have?

KCChiefsMan
05-19-2005, 12:57 AM
What TV do you have?

its a 51" Toshiba projection HDTV

Manila-Chief
05-19-2005, 01:09 AM
I should have read Miles post before I asked coz it seems it is not the TV but the service.

I'm sure you like your TV, but can you give your evaluation of it?

Braincase
05-19-2005, 06:20 AM
huh, ya I see what you are saying, the channels with the black bars clearly aren't HD. That kind of sucks since Sunflower advertises it as HD and there are only like 8-10 offered channels in HD right now. But the TV will not let me adjust the picture screen on this mode for some reason

Mines a 51" Sony, and I don't have any problems at all going from HDTV to regular and back.

KCChiefsMan
05-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Mines a 51" Sony, and I don't have any problems at all going from HDTV to regular and back.

it's only 3 of the channels that are supposed to be in HD that does that. Like 2 of the local HD channels and the ESPN HD that does that, all of the regular basic appear just fine on the screen