PDA

View Full Version : Computer CRASHED?!?!?!?!

JOhn
05-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Crap, I went to check the computer again, to make sure there was no dust in the CPU Heatsink. I found a bunch more up under the corners of the fan and carefully cleaned it out.

When I went to hook the computer back up, I get nothing! :banghead:

I turn the power switch on, Beeeeeeeep, then a long pause, Beeeeeeeep and repeat untill I turn the power back off!!!

What did I do???????? :deevee:

KCWolfman
05-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Did you remove the heat sink from the chip? If so, did you replace the thermal lube between the two?

JOhn
05-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Did you remove the heat sink from the chip? If so, did you replace the thermal lube between the two?

Nope I didn't remove the heat sink, only the fan attached to the top of it. Not really even sure how to remove it, the heaksink. :shrug:

KCWolfman
05-09-2005, 11:21 PM
Use the reset jumper and try again.

JOhn
05-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Reset jumper?

KCWolfman
05-10-2005, 12:13 AM
Reset jumper?
Go to your Motherboard's website and check where your reset CMOS jumper is.

It is typically a piece of plastic that covers two out of three pins on the MOBO. Make sure the power is off and you move the jumper from one side to the other. Count to five and move it back. It resets your MOBO.

Simplex3
05-10-2005, 12:53 AM
Those beeps actually mean something. Check the length and cadence, then consult your mobo's user manual. It should tell you what is wrong.

alanm
05-10-2005, 07:53 AM

It is typically a piece of plastic that covers two out of three pins on the MOBO. Make sure the power is off and you move the jumper from one side to the other. Count to five and move it back. It resets your MOBO.
You realize of course Russ that he can't go online if his computer is down. :)

alanm
05-10-2005, 07:55 AM
Of couse then I noticed that JOhn was posting about the problem so he must be online somewhere. :banghead:

Simplex3
05-10-2005, 11:34 AM
Of couse then I noticed that JOhn was posting about the problem so he must be online somewhere. :banghead:
Logic's a bitch sometimes, huh? ROFL

If only I had a nickle for every time I'd done something like that. Then I'd be able to make a call from a payphone.

:D

JOhn
05-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Posting from the wifes computer :)

JOhn
05-10-2005, 04:58 PM
No luck finding any info on MOB, so I broke down and am chating on-line with tech support.

Man these people are DENSE. :shake:

Mr. Laz
05-10-2005, 05:59 PM
when you removed your cpu fan did you plug it back in?

did you plug it back into the correct mobo spot ... some motherboards check for cpu fan and won't start without one.

JOhn
05-10-2005, 06:17 PM
when you removed your cpu fan did you plug it back in?

did you plug it back into the correct mobo spot ... some motherboards check for cpu fan and won't start without one.
Nope didn't unplug it, only unscrewed it from heatsink to clean it, and dust from heatsink.

Nightfyre
05-11-2005, 04:19 AM
A fine bit of advice. :clap: This should solve your problem.

Nightfyre
05-11-2005, 05:05 AM
If KCWM's advice does not work, you fried your mobo...

JOhn
05-11-2005, 08:48 AM
If KCWM's advice does not work, you fried your mobo...
I have yet to find the jumper to reset it. :shrug:

JOhn
05-11-2005, 09:00 AM

FOund this listing for the MotherBoard in it, trying to track down the jumper

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=c00021854&lc=en

Tech support said The Motherboard present in your computer is either salsa-GLA or crossfire-GLA.

OldTownChief
05-11-2005, 03:00 PM
FOund this listing for the MotherBoard in it, trying to track down the jumper

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=c00021854&lc=en

Tech support said The Motherboard present in your computer is either salsa-GLA or crossfire-GLA.

Normally the CMOS jumper is located close to the battery.

Saulbadguy
05-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Were you properly grounded when you did this?

JOhn
05-11-2005, 06:25 PM
FOund the info, reset the Cmos.......NOTHING!!

guess I fried the Motherboard. :banghead: :banghead: :cuss: :deevee:

"Bob" Dobbs
05-11-2005, 11:50 PM
i dont think you mentioned... when you power the machine up, does the fan in fact spin?

Try reseating the CPU and the RAM.

Also found the following on another forum:

Basic Beep Codes for ABIT AWARD BIOS Motherboards

No beep at all - this means your motherboard is dead, either due to a defective or underpowered power supply, poorly seated CPU or RAM, or a dead-on-arrival board

One beep - board is working fine

One long beep then machine shuts down - faulty, improperly installed or missing CPU

1 short(Beep) System booting is normally

2 short(Beep) CMOS setting error

1 long - 1 short(Beep) DRAM ERROR

1 long - 2 short(Beep) Display card or monitor connected error

1 long - 3 short(Beep) Keyboard Error

1 long - 9 short(Beep) ROM Error

Long(Beep) continuous DRAM isn't inserted correctly

Short(Beep) continuous POWER supply has a problem

A two-tone siren, generally caused by overheating or out of specification voltages

yunghungwell
05-13-2005, 10:13 AM
FOund the info, reset the Cmos.......NOTHING!!

guess I fried the Motherboard. :banghead: :banghead: :cuss: :deevee:

Do you have a cat? One of the web sites that I referenced for building a PC calls cats "walking static death bombs". ROFL

JOhn
05-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Do you have a cat? One of the web sites that I referenced for building a PC calls cats "walking static death bombs". ROFL
Had cats ever since I've had a computer, never had any trouble because of that. :shake:

JOhn
05-13-2005, 07:26 PM
I've tested all the componants on my wifes computer, everything works great, CPU, Memory Mother Board, Power supply. But when I put her CPU on my Motherboard....Nothing.

So new MOB it is. :banghead:

JOhn
05-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Well I lucked out, best friend had a new MOB he had ordered for his Athlon bet never used, so gave it to me in trade for some auto work. :thumb:

Installed and working fantastic.