PDA

View Full Version : Opera Browser?

Nightfyre
05-11-2005, 06:38 AM
Anyone know anything about this? I just heard about it....

Pants
05-11-2005, 06:42 AM
Anyone know anything about this? I just heard about it....

Wow, nub. Don't they have the internet back there, in the country? Opera is amazingly fast. I know my dad uses it / used at some point and like/liked it. I stick to IE and Firefox.

Nightfyre
05-11-2005, 06:43 AM
Wow, nub. Don't they have the internet back there, in the country? Opera is amazingly fast. I know my dad uses it / used at some point and like/liked it. I stick to IE and Firefox.
Yeah, well I dunno.

Gaz
05-11-2005, 07:22 AM
First of all, ignore the "nub" comment. If you do not ask, you will never find out.

Opera has [2] versions:

FREE: Loaded with advertising. Very irritating, IMO.

PAY: $39 download. No ads.

You can get a lot of the features Opera touts by using Firefox, Mozilla, K-Meleon or even IE [with free add-ins]. As far as speed is concerned, the free version I test-drove was not noticeably faster than Firefox or K-Meleon.

Personally, I would go with Firefox or Mozilla [if you also want an email program] or K-Meleon [if you want lots of handís on control over the program] and save the $39.

YMMV.

xoxo~
Gaz
Does not think Opera is $39 better than Firefox.

dirk digler
05-11-2005, 07:35 AM
First of all, ignore the "nub" comment. If you do not ask, you will never find out.

Opera has [2] versions:

FREE: Loaded with advertising. Very irritating, IMO.

PAY: $39 download. No ads.

You can get a lot of the features Opera touts by using Firefox, Mozilla, K-Meleon or even IE [with free add-ins]. As far as speed is concerned, the free version I test-drove was not noticeably faster than Firefox or K-Meleon.

Personally, I would go with Firefox or Mozilla [if you also want an email program] or K-Meleon [if you want lots of handís on control over the program] and save the $39.

YMMV.

xoxo~
Gaz
Does not think Opera is $39 better than Firefox.

Totally agree. Firefox has all of the features and more that Opera has. I can't believe anyone would pay for a browser but that is just me. I would use IE again instead of forking over $39 to Opera and I think it is shitty of them to place ads in their product.

Simplex3
05-11-2005, 07:39 AM
Opera's claim to fame used to be their standards support. Pretty much the minute something came out it was in the browser. In all reality, however, only IE truly lags in this department (still no png transparancy, no CSS 2, etc). I'm not sure what their schtick is now.

Pants
05-11-2005, 08:19 AM
Whoa, when did they started asking money? And Gaz, I was just shooting the shit with that comment.

Gaz
05-11-2005, 08:29 AM
Opera was a 2-tier offering when I took it for a drive. I tried it eons ago, but the ads were way too annoying.

K-Meleon is a Gekko-based browser that does not eat up a lot of hard drive space. It does not have all the buttons and whistles of Firefox, but it is light and seems fast to me. You can get tabbed browsing. However, the charm appears to be that you can actually rummage around in the preferences code, rather than interfacing with a PREFERENCES or OPTIONS menu. Since I do not appreciate rummaging in the settings [okay, I am afraid of messing things up], I stick with Firefox. Said fear also explains why I have [3] Linux distributions on CD, but am still running Windows XP.

If I did not already have Outlook, I would seriously consider the Mozilla suite with the Thunderbird email application.

xoxo~
Gaz
Has been quite content with Firefox.

Gaz
05-11-2005, 08:32 AM
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

xoxo~
Gaz
Throwing more mud in the waters.

Nightfyre
05-11-2005, 08:49 AM
eh, opera 8 only has a couple text ads at the top of the browser, no popups or anything TOO unsightley. no graphics either. Im enjoying it for now.

Pants
05-11-2005, 08:54 AM
eh, opera 8 only has a couple text ads at the top of the browser, no popups or anything TOO unsightley. no graphics either. Im enjoying it for now.

Is it fast? I remember it being extremely fast. Oh, and there are all kinds of tricks you can do with your mouse using opera, I suggest you look them up in a readme or something. For example, one is if you hold the left mouse button and slide the mouse left, it'll go "Back" and if you slide the mouse to the right, it'll go "Forward".

BCD
05-11-2005, 09:00 AM
I use Opera. Love it! I just use the free version. For me, the ad banner is so insignificant, I hardly notice it most of the time...

Nightfyre
05-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Is it fast? I remember it being extremely fast. Oh, and there are all kinds of tricks you can do with your mouse using opera, I suggest you look them up in a readme or something. For example, one is if you hold the left mouse button and slide the mouse left, it'll go "Back" and if you slide the mouse to the right, it'll go "Forward".
Its pretty quick, seems less resource demanding than IE. I dont know about all these shortcuts yet though. I have to acclamate yet.

Manila-Chief
05-17-2005, 10:07 PM
I use Opera. I don't have as much problems with adds on it as with Firefox ... each time I open Firefox there is always a pop-up add ... I simply delete and it is not big deal for me. But, I never notice the adds on Opera.

I like the way Opera's windows open and have an icon in the tool bar at the top of the page ... and I can bring to the front by simply clicking on each. I can open several theads at one time and switch between them. I have not been able to get Firefox to do that. Am I not doing something right on Firefox???

I also like the "Wand" on Opera for doing user name/passwords...

It may be just a tad slower than Firefox. But, I keep using Opera because of the features. Both are far superior to IE....