PDA

View Full Version : NFL starts investigation about viking's RB fiasco

Mr. Laz
05-13-2005, 10:08 AM
Last update: May 12, 2005 at 7:17 AM
Vikings: Smith may face yearlong suspension
Mark Craig, Star Tribune
May 12, 2005 VIKE0512

Vikings running back Onterrio Smith faces a possible yearlong suspension pending the outcome of an NFL investigation launched Wednesday after a Star Tribune report that Smith was detained last month at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport with a kit used to circumvent drug tests.

Smith, a two-time offender of the league's substance abuse policy, has turned to his longtime attorney, David Cornwell. Cornwell is better known as the lawyer representing retired running back Ricky Williams in his attempt to re-enter the NFL following multiple positive tests for marijuana.

The Vikings, meanwhile, are powerless. They can neither punish Smith, per the league's interpretation of the collective bargaining agreement with the players' association, nor hide from the humiliation of being the butt of jokes about Smith and the device he was caught with, called "The Original Whizzinator."

Onterrio SmithAnn HeisenfeltAssociated Press"Onterrio has embarrassed the team, but, first and foremost, he embarrassed himself," Vikings center Matt Birk said. "He's a member of a team, and he represents that team. He hasn't represented us in a positive way. But I think he did more damage to himself."

Several other Vikings players declined to comment at Winter Park. Smith, who issued a statement through Cornwell, was among those who declined to comment through the team's public relations staff.

"Yeah, guys are talking about it," tight end Sean Berton said. "But I don't think we have enough details to comment."

Coach Mike Tice was brief, saying, "We will monitor the situation and see how and if the league deals with the situation." Owner Red McCombs didn't return a call.

The league isn't sure what, if any, punishment will be given.

"Under the terms of our [drug] policy, a deliberate attempt to substitute or alter a specimen during collection is a violation," league spokesman Greg Aiello said in a statement. "But the possession of paraphernalia outside of a testing situation will be investigated and action taken if appropriate."

Smith was suspended for four games last season for a second positive test for marijuana. A third positive test results in a yearlong ban. Aiello said it's possible but too early to tell whether this incident will be viewed as the equivalent of a third positive test.

Whether the Vikings can take action after the investigation is complete is uncertain. They positioned themselves to move on without Smith when they traded up in the fourth round of last month's draft to select Florida running back Ciatrick Fason.

"There are areas that are uncharted, and this certainly is one of them," said Stacy Robinson, co-administrator of the drug and steroids policy for the players' association. "Normally, anything drug-related is covered under the drug policy, and teams can't [discipline a player]. But I don't know where this would fall. Our legal department would have to look at it."

Aiello said the NFL is aware of devices such as The Original Whizzinator. This particular device includes a prosthetic penis attached to a jockstrap and a plastic bag. Dried urine is mixed with water and inserted into the bag. Smith also was caught with six or seven vials of dried urine.

"Our [testing] program requires that players be visually observed from the front giving the sample with their shirts off and pants down to their knees, making the effectiveness of such an effort remote," Aiello said.

Cornwell used that logic to release a statement defending Smith.

Said Cornwell in part: "The kit was given to Onterrio, and it was obvious that it would be useless given the collection procedures under the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse. He placed the kit in his bag and simply forgot about it."

When told that his statement wasn't believable, particularly the part that Smith forgot that The Original Whizzinator in his carry-on bag, Cornwell said: "Well, that's what happened. I'll live or die with that statement, whether or not you believe it."

Smith told police at the time of the incident that he was delivering the kit to his cousin. Cornwell wouldn't say who gave the device to Smith.

"I don't think it's appropriate to say anything more," Cornwell said. "The NFL will look into it. We have no fear of Onterrio being suspended."

Mark Craig is at mcraig@startribune.com.

ELSEWHERE:

• Drug test foilers have built a cottage industry A1

jspchief
05-13-2005, 10:15 AM
I believe him. I always forget that I have fake penises in my luggage when I travel.

errr...I think I may have said too much

Iowanian
05-13-2005, 10:17 AM
mike tice "you really dicked things up this time, ontario"

Nightfyre
05-13-2005, 10:36 AM
mike tice "you really dicked things up this time, ontario"
Ontario: "Yeah, like you scalped em up!"

Dartgod
05-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Airport Security: One Original Whizzinator™ fake penis drug test circumvation device.
Onterrio Smith : (to Paul Tagliabue) That's not mine.
Airport Security: One credit card receipt for Original Whizzinator™ fake penis drug test circumvation device signed by Onterrio Smith .
Onterrio Smith : I'm telling ya baby, that's not mine.
Airport Security: One warranty card for Original Whizzinator™ fake penis drug test circumvation device, filled out by Onterrio Smith .
Onterrio Smith : I don't even know what this is! This sort of thing ain't my bag, baby.
Airport Security: One book, "The Original Whizzinator™ Fake Penis Drug Test Circumvation Device And Me: This Sort of Thing Is My Bag Baby", by Onterrio Smith .

el borracho
05-13-2005, 10:52 AM
Tell me again why the NFL tests for marijuana. As far as It is not a performance-enhancing drug. Why do they even care?

stevieray
05-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Airport Security: One Original Whizzinator™ fake penis drug test circumvation device.
Onterrio Smith : (to Paul Tagliabue) That's not mine.
Airport Security: One credit card receipt for Original Whizzinator™ fake penis drug test circumvation device signed by Onterrio Smith .
Onterrio Smith : I'm telling ya baby, that's not mine.
Airport Security: One warranty card for Original Whizzinator™ fake penis drug test circumvation device, filled out by Onterrio Smith .
Onterrio Smith : I don't even know what this is! This sort of thing ain't my bag, baby.
Airport Security: One book, "The Original Whizzinator™ Fake Penis Drug Test Circumvation Device And Me: This Sort of Thing Is My Bag Baby", by Onterrio Smith .

Tags:"Yo!, Onterrio! Make a commerical with a nude Terri Hatcher and we'll call it even."

Iowanian
05-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Because its illegal. Because NFL players are role models for millions of Kids. Because these are athletes, whom teams have invested Millions of dollars in, that health and their bodies are the biggest factor in production.

KCTitus
05-13-2005, 10:55 AM
Tell me again why the NFL tests for marijuana. As far as It is not a performance-enhancing drug. Why do they even care?

Leauge image...see NBA.

HemiEd
05-13-2005, 10:58 AM
So if he used "The Original Whizzinator", does that mean that there are upgraded versions? Copies?

Demonpenz
05-13-2005, 11:36 AM
my new use for marijana is to smoke right after i do alot of heavy lifting. It helps me attain a deeply relaxed state that helps my muscles grow. And one look at my guns should tell you it works

jspchief
05-13-2005, 11:40 AM
Onterrio doesn't hold a candle to Psicosis in the extra penis department.

C-Mac
05-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Last update: May 12, 2005 at 7:17 AM
[SIZE=4][B]"Our [testing] program requires that players be visually observed from the front giving the sample with their shirts off and pants down to their knees, making the effectiveness of such an effort remote," Aiello said.

Wonder what type of educational training one must go through to become a professional.......Optical Urine Technician?
ROFL
I'm sure its a stressful job having to wear special urine viewing glasses, making sure the pants clear the kneecap and shirts are completely removed. Then clearing any obstructions and coaxing grown men like a cheerleader to pee in a cup on command.

Rain Man
05-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Wonder what type of educational training one must go through to become a professional.......Optical Urine Technician?
ROFL
I'm sure its a stressful job having to wear special urine viewing glasses, making sure the pants clear the kneecap and shirts are completely removed. Then clearing any obstructions and coaxing grown men like a cheerleader to pee in a cup on command.

You'd probably have to eliminate anyone who's prone to depression. Looking at the genitals of giant men all day can't be good for the ego.

C-Mac
05-13-2005, 12:59 PM
You'd probably have to eliminate anyone who's prone to depression. Looking at the genitals of giant men all day can't be good for the ego.

Wonder if they take their work home with them?

"Honey, its was brutal today! Had to work on one guy for hour and a half because of FTSF(first timer stage fright), another had swollen urinary infection that just dribbled and then top it off I found out later that my glove had a hole in it.....just brutal"

Phobia
05-13-2005, 01:07 PM
I really gotta know how much the Original Whizzinator is paying him in endorsement fees. Really.

Phobia
05-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Hell, I'm ordering 2 of them right now.