PDA

View Full Version : Hugging Ban Sparks Dispute at Ore. School

Hammock Parties
05-16-2005, 07:21 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050516/ap_on_fe_st/hugging_ban

BEND, Ore. - A 14-year-old girl received detention over a lingering hug she gave her boyfriend at school, infuriating her mother and putting school officials on the defensive.
ADVERTISEMENT

School officials said they had warned Cazz Altomare that lingering hugging was unacceptable, but she continued to disobey the rule when she received the detention earlier this year.

Rules at Sky View Middle School in Bend permit "quick hello and goodbye hugs," but administrators said some students have been taking advantage of it.

"It's not like we are the hug Nazis," Laurie Gould, spokeswoman for the Bend-La Pine School District, said Monday. "Kids hug, they hug hello and they hug goodbye, but if you take it farther, you make people uncomfortable."

Cazz got detention after giving her boyfriend a protracted hug in the hallway at Sky View Middle School in Bend.

Her mother, Leslee Swanson, was infuriated by the punishment. When she went to pick her daughter up from detention, she gave her a good, hard hug.

"I'm trying to understand what's wrong with a hug," Swanson, 42, said in a story Sunday in The Bulletin of Bend. People should not "blindly accept these fundamental rights being taken away from them," she said.

Gould said "usually kids don't get detention just for hugging."

All middle schools in the Bend-La Pine district restrict hugging to some degree, as well as hand-holding and some other forms of physical affection.

"Really, all we're trying to do is create an environment that's focused on learning, and learning proper manners is part of that," said Dave Haack, the principal of Cascade Middle School, also in Bend.

Students only end up with detention after repeated warnings earlier this year, he said.

Outside Pilot Butte Middle School on a recent lunch break, two seventh-grade girls said they disagreed with the policies.

"I think we should be able to hold hands or hug at least," said Annie Wilson, 12. "Because it's not doing anything bad."

Thig Lyfe
05-16-2005, 07:22 PM
finally, a rule gochiefs doesn't have to worry about breaking.

Hammock Parties
05-16-2005, 07:30 PM
finally, a rule gochiefs doesn't have to worry about breaking.

:cuss:

C-Mac
05-16-2005, 07:33 PM
"I think we should be able to hold hands or hug at least," said Annie Wilson, 12. "Because it's not doing anything bad."

Some how I feel that when this girl get's to High School, she will be taking full advantage of the new on site "Daycare Center".
:shake:

BIG_DADDY
05-16-2005, 07:40 PM
"It's not like we are the hug Nazis," Laurie Gould, spokeswoman for the Bend-La Pine School District, said Monday. ."

It's not?

"I'm trying to understand what's wrong with a hug," Swanson, 42, said in a story Sunday in The Bulletin of Bend. People should not "blindly accept these fundamental rights being taken away from them," she said.

Sure they should, rules are rules and they need to followed or least that's what I've been told.

C-Mac
05-16-2005, 07:47 PM
"Infuriated" translation substitute for "I'm gett'in me a damn lawyer, and were gett'in some of that money"

tk13
05-16-2005, 07:54 PM
When I was in high school we weren't really supposed to hug, stuff like that. Some teachers would let it slide, others would enforce it to the letter. I always thought it was kind of silly...

Hammock Parties
05-16-2005, 07:55 PM
Yes, it is true. I never hugged a girl in high school.

Skip Towne
05-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Yes, it is true. I never hugged a girl in high school.
Me either, I'm afraid of them too.

Hammock Parties
05-16-2005, 08:03 PM
Me either, I'm afraid of them too.

I'm not afraid of them, I just can't stop walking around and around them.

Jenson71
05-16-2005, 08:08 PM
You don't need to give passionate hugs in school, you damn brat.

BIG_DADDY
05-16-2005, 08:17 PM
When I was in high school we weren't really supposed to hug, stuff like that. Some teachers would let it slide, others would enforce it to the letter. I always thought it was kind of silly...

Really, wow that's just weird.

Hammock Parties
05-16-2005, 08:21 PM
We had some bullshit rules in high school but they were loosely enforced. I kept my gay ID tag in my bag the entire time and constantly skipped lunch, either to go to the library or a few times I really got rebellious and went home. The teachers monitoring lunch were real numbskulls. They wouldn't let you leave through one exit but the other exit (clearly in their view) was unguarded and no one said a word if you left that way. I even bitched about it in an essay for my creative writing class. Something about the lunch monitors guarding an "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade-esque" seal on the floor. "Don't cross the seal!"

Thig Lyfe
05-16-2005, 08:32 PM
I kept my gay ID tag in my bag the entire time

It just doesn't seem fair. How could the school just assume such a thing, and then give you an identification card for it? Awful...

Hammock Parties
05-16-2005, 08:35 PM
It just doesn't seem fair. How could the school just assume such a thing, and then give you an identification card for it? Awful...

ROFL