PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs taking May Seriously

UTChief
05-16-2005, 10:00 PM
sorry if it's a re post

Vermeil and his coaches ready for workouts. Chiefs Taking May Seriously
By Scout.com
Date: May 16, 2005

When the Chiefs begin the first of their on-field organized team activities this Tuesday (May 17), they should do so with urgency not usually associated with established teams and coaching staffs.

That's the message coach Dick Vermeil will convey as he begins his fifth and what he says will likely be his final -- season of spring drills in Kansas City.
Vermeil knows his team has to start preparing now for the rugged first month of the 2005 schedule. It's a forced-march campaign that opens with a home game against the Jets, an '04 playoff team. It continues with a Sunday night game in Oakland followed by a Monday night game in Denver. The opening month concludes with a Week Four home game against NFC champ Philadelphia.

If the Chiefs are running at anything but full speed in the first month, they could easily again fall into the kind of 1-3 hole from which they were unable to escape last year.

"I'm really concerned about the start," Vermeil said. "You open against a playoff team here, then go on the road for a Sunday night game in Oakland, whom we've beaten four times by what, maybe four points?

"Then we play in Denver on Monday night, and (Mike) Shanahan is something like 8-3 in Monday games at home. And then we play the NFC champ at home. "What a way to start! We better be a better football team."

If the Chiefs can get through that opening month at even .500, they'll be in decent shape after a Week 5 bye to make a run at Washington and Miami before meeting the division champion Chargers in San Diego.

Vermeil, however, is having a hard time seeing past September. "Those first four rounds," he said, "will be a difficult fight."

Thig Lyfe
05-16-2005, 10:01 PM
Good to know that they're serious this time.

jspchief
05-16-2005, 10:06 PM
Good to know that they're serious this time.Kind of what I thought.

I also see DV is already laying the groundwork for blaming the schedule again.

C-Mac
05-16-2005, 10:31 PM
Kind of what I thought.

I dont have many, if any, real gripes against Vermeil, but his "schedule" talk is a bit quirky. I dont think I've ever heard someone like Parcells, or Belichick making much of an issue about the schedule other than basically respecting the game or team. Perhaps thats what Vermeil is trying to say but when Marty was a coach I always hoped to play the "best of the best" because he is in my opinion, the greatest underdog coach of my era and he could motivate his players to overachive against the best.(with the exception of Elway)

jspchief
05-16-2005, 10:49 PM
I dont have many, if any, real gripes against Vermeil, but his "schedule" talk is a bit quirky. I dont think I've ever heard someone like Parcells, or Belichick making much of an issue about the schedule other than basically respecting the game or team. Perhaps thats what Vermeil is trying to say but when Marty was a coach I always hoped to play the "best of the best" because he is in my opinion, the greatest underdog coach of my era and he could motivate his players to overachive against the best.(with the exception of Elway)To me it just feels like he's building an excuse to lose those games, not only for himself, but more importantly for the team. How many times do they hear about how tough those first four games are, before they begin to believe they have no shot at winning all four of them? It will always bother me.

KCJake
05-16-2005, 11:20 PM
IM READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL :clap: :clap:

Spicy McHaggis
05-16-2005, 11:33 PM
Kind of what I thought.

I'm sick of it. I've never had a coach or been around a coach that sat and "whined" about the schedule as much as DV does. Those are the games we play, get over it and go win. I guess he wants to play cupcakes???

philfree
05-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Looks like to me he's trying to motivate his team and get them to start the season hitting on all cylinders. :shrug:

PhilFree:arrow:

stevieray
05-16-2005, 11:44 PM
Those first four games ARE tough. when is the last time the Invescos played on the road against two divvision rivals, an AFC palyoff team and defending NFC champs in the first qtr of the season?

Spicy McHaggis
05-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Those first four games ARE tough. when is the last time the Invescos played on the road against two divvision rivals, an AFC palyoff team and defending NFC champs in the first qtr of the season?

I know they're tough. I know b/c DV has said so about 8 times now.

stevieray
05-16-2005, 11:48 PM
I know they're tough. I know b/c DV has said so about 8 times now.

That's good, never underestimate your opponent.

jspchief
05-16-2005, 11:49 PM
Looks like to me he's trying to motivate his team and get them to start the season hitting on all cylinders. :shrug:

PhilFree:arrow:I'm sure that's what he's doing. It's just that after hearing about the tough schedule in every post game press conference after a loss last year, It starts sounding like making excuses IMO.

The fact that he never calls out a player for their sh*tty play (unless you're a kicker or punter), but instead just gives the credit to the opponent, has a lot to do with me feeling the way I do.

Nzoner
05-17-2005, 12:01 AM
That's good, never underestimate your opponet.

I'm not underestimating anyone,however,the addition of Surtain and Knight coming to us from the AFC East has me fairly confident that can be a deciding factor not only against the Jets but the other AFC East teams the Chiefs will face also.I fully expect the Chiefs to win one of the first two road games to then come back to Arrowhead to face a Philly team that will be in disarray after the T.O. fallout.

Sure it's all speculation and may be the homer in me shining through but if Gun can shape up this new defense I'm liking the chances of starting this season 3-1.

That said I'd be happy with 2-2.

stevieray
05-17-2005, 12:03 AM

That said I'd be happy with 2-2.

I agree, we have to accomplish this, at least. going 3-1 with those gmaes could really springboard this team. In reality, it is the hardest part of the schedule, other than the four of six on the road.

SNR
05-17-2005, 12:04 AM
For a second I thought Darrel May was getting sick of losing, so the Chiefs are giving him a shot at QB.

Tuckdaddy
05-17-2005, 12:48 AM
I think we will beat all those teams. Just a feeling.

Straight, No Chaser
05-17-2005, 01:50 AM
...The fact that he never calls out a player for their sh*tty play ...

The additions of Bell, Surtain, and Knight is subtle hint, don't ya think?

--->

Rausch
05-17-2005, 01:52 AM
**** May. **** it with a crooked stick.

I want december, january, and feb. taken seriously...

Logical
05-17-2005, 02:01 AM
**** May. **** it with a crooked stick.

I want december, january, and feb. taken seriously...

Me I will just take January and February, all the other months of games won't matter if that happens.

philfree
05-17-2005, 08:18 AM
I'm sure that's what he's doing. It's just that after hearing about the tough schedule in every post game press conference after a loss last year, It starts sounding like making excuses IMO.

The fact that he never calls out a player for their sh*tty play (unless you're a kicker or punter), but instead just gives the credit to the opponent, has a lot to do with me feeling the way I do.

The whole schedule thing is based on what has happened in the past. It's not something DV just ceated so he'd have an excuse if things didn't work out the way he/we wanted. His take on punters is easy.
They have one thing to do and that's kick the ball. They catch it and they kick it. If they can't do that one thing he get's pissed. Why a few people seem so distraught by this baffles me.

jspchief
05-17-2005, 10:15 AM
His take on punters is easy.
They have one thing to do and that's kick the ball. They catch it and they kick it. If they can't do that one thing he get's pissed. Why a few people seem so distraught by this baffles me.

The reason people are so "distraught" by it is there are hell of a lot of other players that are f*cking up at their jobs, that get a free pass from Vermeil. Why does he refuse to call out the horrible play of our safeties and LBs? At the least the punters had an occasional good game. Our safeties were horrible 16 weeks in a row last year. It's absurd that he treats our D with kid gloves, while he crucifies our punter.

I just don't like the fact that he won't call these guys to the carpet. It's always "we need to do a better job coaching". How about some accountability for the players?

nmt1
05-17-2005, 10:32 AM
The reason people are so "distraught" by it is there are hell of a lot of other players that are f*cking up at their jobs, that get a free pass from Vermeil. Why does he refuse to call out the horrible play of our safeties and LBs? At the least the punters had an occasional good game. Our safeties were horrible 16 weeks in a row last year. It's absurd that he treats our D with kid gloves, while he crucifies our punter.

I just don't like the fact that he won't call these guys to the carpet. It's always "we need to do a better job coaching". How about some accountability for the players?

If you expect Vermiel to come out and publicly berate his players, you're gonna be waiting a long time. He doesn't do it because it's not a good practice. Besides, as mentioned before in this thread, bringing in several free agents seems like the message you're looking for.

TEX
05-17-2005, 10:48 AM
This schedule is very difficult after the start as well. The CHIEFS have to play every road game in a back-to-back situation and 6 out of our first 10 games are on the road. If the CHIEFS get off to a slow start, we'll be done again before Halloween.

Calcountry
05-17-2005, 11:51 AM
I dont have many, if any, real gripes against Vermeil, but his "schedule" talk is a bit quirky. I dont think I've ever heard someone like Parcells, or Belichick making much of an issue about the schedule other than basically respecting the game or team. Perhaps thats what Vermeil is trying to say but when Marty was a coach I always hoped to play the "best of the best" because he is in my opinion, the greatest underdog coach of my era and he could motivate his players to overachive against the best.(with the exception of Elway)And he would always make sure they woke up and realized who they REALLY were in the playoffs.

Screw Marty.

Calcountry
05-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Those first four games ARE tough. when is the last time the Invescos played on the road against two divvision rivals, an AFC palyoff team and defending NFC champs in the first qtr of the season?Fug it, lets see what we are made of right out the gate.

We go 2-2, and we might just make the playoffs. 1-3, the window is slamming shut. 3-1 and we just might be the team to beat.

4-0, elite team that the rest of the league will now have to take very seriously.

AirForceChief
05-17-2005, 12:16 PM
Fug it, lets see what we are made of right out the gate.

We go 2-2, and we might just make the playoffs. 1-3, the window is slamming shut. 3-1 and we just might be the team to beat.

4-0, elite team that the rest of the league will now have to take very seriously.

If the one win in a 1-3 start is against Oakland or Denver, the window would not slam shut. We'd still be 1-1 in the Div.

StcChief
05-17-2005, 12:45 PM
DV stop whining about the schedule. Get your team ready to play.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-17-2005, 01:07 PM
With the teams we'll be facing the first month of the season, we can't afford to be rusty or have injuries like we did last year. We'll be 0-4 instead of 1-3, if that happens this year. The first month of this year's schedule is MUCH harder than last year's. Although, just like everyone says, and it's true...simply if are better, we won't be 1-3 or 0-4 again. We have to start playing our best ball when that first game is kicked off against the Jets or it could be another long season.

go bowe
05-17-2005, 01:12 PM
well, it's always seemed that the chiefs do better against the better opponents and lose to the teams they're supposed to beat (texans come to mind)...

milkman
05-17-2005, 09:21 PM
Am I the only one here who thinks that the Jets aren't all that special, and think that both the Jets game and Raider game are very winnable.

A win over Philly, or better yet, the Donks to get us to 3-1 would be outstanding, but 2-2 is a realistic goal, IMO.

Logical
05-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Am I the only one here who thinks that the Jets aren't all that special, and think that both the Jets game and Raider game are very winnable.

A win over Philly, or better yet, the Donks to get us to 3-1 would be outstanding, but 2-2 is a realistic goal, IMO.

Jets and Raiders are indeed imminently winnable games. Donks in Denver seems to be an achilles heel. Philly would require some good fortune IMO that early in the season. If it were later after the defense had more time together even that would be possible. That early I view a victory as improbable.