View Full Version : Teicher: Chiefs to begin looking for answers

Coogs
05-17-2005, 07:50 AM
Posted on Tue, May. 17, 2005

Chiefs to begin looking for answers

Team has plenty to resolve during preseason practice

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs still have four months until their season opener, but to them, it must look more like four days.
That's because of their lengthy list of unresolved issues. They will begin working on those issues with the first of their offseason practice sessions scheduled for today, Wednesday and Thursday.

“We've got to establish some things we've never gotten established on defense,” coach Dick Vermeil said. “It's hard to do it in the (offseason practices) because you're not allowed intense tempo. But we've got to get some things ingrained. We've got to do a better job in determining who's going to be reliable on game day.

“Management stepped up better than they ever have since I've been here and gotten some things done. We've got to put those pieces together properly. It's going to take some time.”

Predictably, most of the Chiefs' issues are on defense.

The first order of business for coordinator Gunther Cunningham is to change the defeatist mind-set of a defense among the league's worst the last three seasons. He began that process with his decision to call the signals from the sideline this season instead of the press box in hopes of injecting some of his intense personality into his players.

“We're trying to change the defensive culture,” Cunningham said. “Changing the culture is a lot harder than adding a few players. The culture is ingrained. It's easy to say you're going to come in and play a certain way, but it's a lot harder to do.

“A lot of people last year thought I was going to walk through the door and it was going to change. But this is a thing we have to do together. Just because we get a few players like Patrick Surtain or any of these guys coming in here, that doesn't mean it's going to change. We all have to buy in. We all have to feel it.”

The Chiefs acquired as many as five new starters for Cunningham but need to figure out where they best fit. Cunningham wants to know how the Chiefs will line up at linebacker, a position fortified by the free-agent signing of Kendrell Bell and the drafting of Derrick Johnson.

The Chiefs probably will begin today with Bell and Johnson outside and Kawika Mitchell in the middle, but it may not be that way when they open the regular season Sept. 11 against the Jets at Arrowhead Stadium.

Much will depend on what the Chiefs believe to be Bell's best position. They have other linebacking concerns involving Johnson (will he be ready to start the opener?), Mitchell (has he finally developed into a reliable player?) and Shawn Barber and Scott Fujita (what to do with them when and if they return from injuries).

“(Bell) has never played in the middle before,” Cunningham said. “I don't think a lot of people realize that he was the right inside linebacker at Pittsburgh. That's the equivalent of where Anthony Davis used to play (for the Chiefs).

“When I got enamored with Kendrell Bell was when I was in Tennessee and he single-handedly took apart our offense. That's what he is. He's a powerful, explosive blitz guy. He played really as a right linebacker in Pittsburgh. What I don't want to do is to get anybody to trap me into saying, ‘He's going to be this.'

“We've got to see all these things. Through the (offseason practices) we're going to have a floating depth chart and position chart. We need to put these players into positions to do what they do best.”

Surtain and Eric Warfield will be the starting cornerbacks. But Warfield is facing a possible suspension for violation of the NFL's substance-abuse policy, so the Chiefs must identify an interim starter.

At safety, the Chiefs are pitting two longtime starters, Greg Wesley and Jerome Woods, against one another for one position. The Chiefs signed veteran Sammy Knight to start at strong safety.

“People are getting what I call a healthy degree of anxiety,” Vermeil said. “Greg Wesley's work ethic in our offseason program is better than it's ever been. So he's benefiting from the challenge. We haven't seen much of Jerome Woods, but I understand he's working hard, and if I know Jerome Woods like I think I know him, he's not going to surrender.”

On offense, the Chiefs have no such bugs to work out. The biggest issue there is the status of wide receiver Johnnie Morton, who could be released in June if he doesn't agree to a pay cut.

The Chiefs invited Morton to participate this week, and he indicated to them that he would. But a good showing by a younger receiver like Samie Parker or Craphonso Thorpe could make the decision easier for the Chiefs.

Halfback Priest Holmes has also told the Chiefs he would participate. Injuries will prevent Barber, Fujita, tight end Tony Gonzalez, wide receiver Marc Boerigter and linebacker Mike Maslowski from participating this week.

Ghost
05-17-2005, 07:58 AM
The best thing Morton could do right now for himself is take the huge paycut and continue his career. If he doesn't his time in football could be over. He hasn't done much in KC to warrant any real noise in FA, as he has had trouble catching the football. It would be nice, considering our young receivers, to have Morton for mere Wideout depth which is what he has become.

morphius
05-17-2005, 08:05 AM
Boerigter is hurt again?

Otter
05-17-2005, 08:11 AM
Halfback Priest Holmes has also told the Chiefs he would participate. Injuries will prevent Barber, Fujita, tight end Tony Gonzalez, wide receiver Marc Boerigter and linebacker Mike Maslowski from participating this week.

What the hell is up with Bo already? He's 26 years old and heals at the speed of an old lady.

chop
05-17-2005, 08:44 AM
What the hell is up with Bo already? He's 26 years old and heals at the speed of an old lady.

I'm sure it's just precautionary. I don't think they want to get him hurt at this point becasue he tried to do too much too soon.

Idahored
05-17-2005, 11:14 AM
The good news is that Holmes is going to practice. I expected that he would sit out the first few OTAs.

Deberg_1990
05-17-2005, 11:17 AM

I dont know, but if he doesnt perform this year, its his last shot. This is it for him.

Mr. Laz
05-17-2005, 11:19 AM
if they really want bo to step up as a receiver they need to pull him off of special teams.

Iowanian
05-17-2005, 11:25 AM
The Problem is, Bo earned his money on special teams and was a pretty good gunner.

go bowe
05-17-2005, 12:00 PM
with the kind of serious knee injury that he had, i'm not surprised that bo's not up to full speed yet...

he'll be ready by training camp...

i'm hoping he'll return to his rookie form (of course)...

i'm looking for good things from samie...

and then there's crap and that kid smith...

if they look good enough, we might actually dump morton, but i'd be surprised to see dv let him go...

dv just doesn't like rookies very much... :(

Frankie
05-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Surtain and Eric Warfield will be the starting cornerbacks. But Warfield is facing a possible suspension for violation of the NFL's substance-abuse policy, so the Chiefs must identify an interim starter.

Is Warfield's fate Tag's decision? If it is then what's keeping him from making it NOW and inform the Chiefs whether he is suspended or not? Sounds like he hates the Chiefs and always makes things most difficult for us.
:banghead:

Frankie
05-17-2005, 12:58 PM
i'm looking for good things from samie...

and then there's crap and that kid smith...

if they look good enough, we might actually dump morton...:(

How about this other WR we signed. (Bell?). Seems like I read a pretty good write up about him a coupla months ago.

Mr. Laz
05-17-2005, 12:59 PM
The Problem is, Bo earned his money on special teams and was a pretty good gunner.
true ...

but he struggles to stay healthy and special teams is really tiring and hard on the body. Tired players tend to get hurt more/easier.

if they really think he can be a great receiver then they need to pull him off of teams until they find out for sure.

Frankie
05-17-2005, 01:14 PM
How about this other WR we signed. (Bell?). Seems like I read a pretty good write up about him a coupla months ago.

OK, not Bell. I meant Darrell Hill. I knew I kept that write up somewhere.

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/articles/2005/05/01/sports/sports02.txt

"He runs a 4.4 40. He can boast of a 42-inch vertical jump.

He's tall (6-foot-3) and has ideal size (212 pounds)."

KCChiefsFan88
05-17-2005, 02:23 PM
Posted on Tue, May. 17, 2005
Injuries will prevent Barber, Fujita, tight end Tony Gonzalez, wide receiver Marc Boerigter and linebacker Mike Maslowski from participating this week.

What injury is Gonzalez recovering from?

Frankie
05-17-2005, 02:30 PM

Oh the same old same old. When you are Gonzo you don't need to attend off-season stuff.

buddha
05-17-2005, 02:35 PM
Boy, it sure looks like Wesley has the inside track with Woods being the likely man out at FS. Bad offseason to miss, Jerome!

Coogs
05-17-2005, 02:36 PM

I think he had foot surgery this spring.

Mr. Kotter
05-17-2005, 02:38 PM
Boy, it sure looks like Wesley has the inside track with Woods being the likely man out at FS. Bad offseason to miss, Jerome!

Not necessarily. There was a story awhile back, that Woods had hired some hardcore trainer, was working out hard and on acceleration....that he intended to atone for last year. There was a thread about it...

Edubs
05-17-2005, 02:39 PM
OK, not Bell. I meant Darrell Hill. I knew I kept that write up somewhere.

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/articles/2005/05/01/sports/sports02.txt

"He runs a 4.4 40. He can boast of a 42-inch vertical jump.

He's tall (6-foot-3) and has ideal size (212 pounds)."

I hope he can develop into a good receiver. He has great szie and speed. At worst he can be a good special teamer. Sounds like he really wants to make things happen at WR.

HemiEd
05-17-2005, 02:50 PM
I think he had foot surgery this spring.

After the Pro Bowl.

Hydrae
05-17-2005, 02:51 PM
“Management stepped up better than they ever have since I've been here and gotten some things done.”

Damn it Car....

Oh wait.

:clap: Good job Carl!

Pitt Gorilla
05-17-2005, 02:56 PM
I really hope Morton comes back after a pay cut. There were games where he seemed to step up and make big catches. Of course, I'd like to see that on a more consistent basis...

unlurking
05-17-2005, 02:58 PM
Yeah, been hobbling on that thing for a couple years now. Glad he's finally got it taken care of. Amazing the production he had last year on that gimpy wheel.

sparkky
05-17-2005, 04:14 PM
I hope he can develop into a good receiver. He has great szie and speed. At worst he can be a good special teamer. Sounds like he really wants to make things happen at WR.

He was nothing more than a special teams guy, a pretty good one, in Tenn. and was most likely signed to be just that. Maybe to get Bo off special teams so he can concentrate on WR.
EDIT TO SAY:
just checked and Hill NEVER caught a pass in 3 years at Tenn. NADA, ZIP, Zilch.

Frankie
05-17-2005, 04:55 PM
just checked and Hill NEVER caught a pass in 3 years at Tenn. NADA, ZIP, Zilch.

Of course Tennesee has a different 'O' than us. Who knows? Maybe he will suit our 'O' better. He seems to be talented.

Count Zarth
05-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Hill was buried on the depth chart in tennessee.

Logical
05-17-2005, 05:43 PM
“We've got to see all these things. Through the (offseason practices) we're going to have a floating depth chart and position chart. We need to put these players into positions to do what they do best.”

Well Bartee will be serving the team French Fries and Mitchell will be cleaning the locker room.

FRCDFED
05-17-2005, 05:48 PM
It seemed that there was a lot of hype regarding Darrell Hill coming out of college. He just never made it onto the field in Tenn.

whoman69
05-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Hill was buried on the depth chart in tennessee.
Behind who? They had a ton of injuries there and no real stars anyway. This guy is being brought for his ST abilities only.

whoman69
05-17-2005, 05:52 PM
I really hope Morton comes back after a pay cut. There were games where he seemed to step up and make big catches. Of course, I'd like to see that on a more consistent basis...
Why should anyone expect him to be good on a consistent basis. The only thing that has been consistent about his game is that its inconsistent. We have enough young receivers that I wouldn't even offer him a paycut. The guy dogged it last year until it became clear that his job was in jeopardy, then he came back not ready to play at the beginning of the season. He then quit late in the season. Create the cap room, cut the inconistent older veteran who is losing his speed and never really had good hands. Its win-win.

Count Zarth
05-17-2005, 05:56 PM
Behind who? They had a ton of injuries there and no real stars anyway. This guy is being brought for his ST abilities only.

Derrick Mason, Drew Bennett, Tyrone Calico and before last year, Justin McCareins, the guy that was traded to the Jets.

FloridaChief
05-17-2005, 06:10 PM
Derrick Mason, Drew Bennett, Tyrone Calico and before last year, Justin McCareins, the guy that was traded to the Jets.

Yeah--those guys were hysterical-good. Pity poor Darrell Hill, being held down by the man....

milkman
05-17-2005, 07:42 PM
Well Bartee will be serving the team French Fries and Mitchell will be cleaning the locker room.

I sure hope to hell the team isn't going to McDonalds for team meals.
Of course, that might be the downside of Lamar opening his checkbook up for free agency. :banghead: :)

Count Zarth
05-17-2005, 07:46 PM
Yeah--those guys were hysterical-good. Pity poor Darrell Hill, being held down by the man....

Actually all those guys are pretty talented, especially Mason, Bennett and McCareins.

I'm not saying Hill is the next Randy Moss but it's quite clear he was in a situation in Tennessee where he wasn't going to get much playing time.

whoman69
05-17-2005, 08:28 PM
Calico was injured last year and Hill still didn't get a single catch. He's not good enough to be a #4 receiver on a team. What makes you think he will suddenly blossom here?

Count Zarth
05-17-2005, 08:29 PM
Calico was injured last year and Hill still didn't get a single catch. He's not good enough to be a #4 receiver on a team. What makes you think he will suddenly blossom here?

We have Eddie Kennison and....shit.

I don't think he will blossom suddenly....but 20-25 catches would be nice. With potential for more in the future.

Inspector
05-17-2005, 08:38 PM

We'll see Hill become the real deal this year.

Maaaaybe.....

Frankie
05-18-2005, 07:17 AM

Different 'O?' :shrug: Different setting? LJ-ish career?