PDA

View Full Version : No Boss, No Suit, No Commute! This simple system will astonish you

Donger
05-17-2005, 08:45 AM
Okay. The wife got a new email addy recently. Over the weekend, she started getting a bunch (hundreds per day) of returned email with the above as the subject heading, shown as being sent from her address. Obviously, she didn't send them.

WTF is this?

AVG virus updates and scans every night, Zone Alarm updated and functional, Spybot and AdAware all updated and run.

Can anyone provide some insight?

HC_Chief
05-17-2005, 09:17 AM
Spam w/ a spoofed header.

Donger
05-17-2005, 09:19 AM
Spam w/ a spoofed header.

Okay. How do I stop them coming in?

Donger
05-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Oh, and, is her email client (Outlook Express) really sending these emails out?

HC_Chief
05-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Oh, and, is her email client (Outlook Express) really sending these emails out?

Probably not.

The way to block it is to add an email filter... however I'm not aware of a way to do this in OE (been a long time since I used that email client).

The way this form of spam works is the spammer alters the header of the email message so that the FROM value is your wife's email address. The email then appears to originate from her, when it is actually coming from somewhere else (probably SE Asia).

Open one of the emails in OE, then cut & paste the header (FILE | Properties) here... we'll see if we can trace the true origin. You can then report them to your ISP... see if they can put a block on the source.

Simplex3
05-17-2005, 10:07 AM
Somebody is sending with a forged header. Give me your email address and I'll send you an email from mickeymouse@disney.com in the next 2 minutes. It's not hard at all. Those bounces will keep cominig for as long as they are sending those emails. However, there should be headers in those emails that can let you know where they are coming from originally. If they guy is smart, though, he's probably using some trojan infected PC(s) to send his crap.

Best bet is to drop the account and get a new one.