PDA

View Full Version : IE7 Has Tabs


penguinz
05-17-2005, 09:19 AM
Yes, IE7 has tabs.

In general, I think tabs are a great idea. I liked them a lot in Office dialogs and in Excel in the early 90's. (I used to work on Office, and I admit we almost added tabs to Word at one point.) I like them in Visual Studio. I think, as an industry, we have a ways to go in refining the experience, consistency, and value of tabs.

Source (http://www.bit-quest.com/index.php?id=45)

Simplex3
05-17-2005, 09:44 AM
Wow, MS is really breaking some new ground now. What next, actual support for any current web standard?

ArrowheadHawk
05-17-2005, 09:47 AM
hey microsoft, why don't you steal your competitors features.. oh wait you did

penguinz
05-17-2005, 09:57 AM
Wow, MS is really breaking some new ground now. What next, actual support for any current web standard?They have said that they will make it css compliant.

Saulbadguy
05-18-2005, 10:59 AM
Hopefully the rendering engine will be quicker as well.

Simplex3
05-18-2005, 01:00 PM
They have said that they will make it css compliant.
Real CSS compliant or Microsoft CSS compliant? You know, mostly compliant with a bunch of extra s**t, as is their tendency.

OldTownChief
05-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Now if they could just separate it from being integrated into your entire operating system like a cancer.

KCWolfman
05-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Wow, what a bunch of crabs.

I use IE now without any issues whatsoever.

Donger
05-18-2005, 04:18 PM
I use Firefox but I don't see the benefit of tabs. Why is it any better than just opening a new window?

KCWolfman
05-18-2005, 04:24 PM
I use Firefox but I don't see the benefit of tabs. Why is it any better than just opening a new window?
They prefer their clutter at the top of the screen instead of the bottom?

KCWolfman
05-18-2005, 04:24 PM
They prefer their clutter at the top of the screen instead of the bottom?
Of course, they could just move the task bar to the top of the screen and get the same effect.

Simplex3
05-18-2005, 04:45 PM
Wow, what a bunch of crabs.

I use IE now without any issues whatsoever.
I would guess you don't code to the web for a living. Basically you have to write everything twice. Once for IE and once for the rest of the world.

KCWolfman
05-18-2005, 05:02 PM
I would guess you don't code to the web for a living. Basically you have to write everything twice. Once for IE and once for the rest of the world.
I don't.

I just don't see it as that big a deal. I do medical billing for a living. And when we don't collect the funds, we have to re-research the account and approve it for collections - basically working the account at least two times and generally about 4 times. I just accept it as part of the job and enjoy the paycheck.

stanleychief
05-18-2005, 06:51 PM
I would guess you don't code to the web for a living. Basically you have to write everything twice. Once for IE and once for the rest of the world.

bwahahaha.. some of us are lucky enough to only have to support IE on intranets ROFL

Otter
05-19-2005, 01:14 PM
I don't.

I just don't see it as that big a deal. I do medical billing for a living. And when we don't collect the funds, we have to re-research the account and approve it for collections - basically working the account at least two times and generally about 4 times. I just accept it as part of the job and enjoy the paycheck.

:rolleyes:
Give me a break.

Saulbadguy
05-19-2005, 02:14 PM
I use Firefox but I don't see the benefit of tabs. Why is it any better than just opening a new window?
One window for multiple sites opened. This is quite handy. Instead of having multiple windows for multiple websites, applications, documents, etc...you have ONE window for all your websites, and the rest of your taskbar can have windows for whatever else you are using (application/document wise).

BigRedChief
05-19-2005, 03:27 PM
I would guess you don't code to the web for a living. Basically you have to write everything twice. Once for IE and once for the rest of the world.

No sympathy here sorry. IE is used by about 85% of the worlds browser traffic. The other 15% need to get on board.

signed,

Bill "Money Bags" Gates

Donger
05-19-2005, 03:51 PM
One window for multiple sites opened. This is quite handy. Instead of having multiple windows for multiple websites, applications, documents, etc...you have ONE window for all your websites, and the rest of your taskbar can have windows for whatever else you are using (application/document wise).

Peh. I typically only have email, a few Firefox windows and ACT! open. An occasional Excel, PP or Word window, too.

But, I suppose what you describe has its benefits to some users.

StcChief
05-20-2005, 12:32 PM
IE should worry about their security issues and speed. The tab dialog for web pages is very nice.

Thanks. I'll stick with Firefox. Mr. Bill

KCWolfman
05-21-2005, 07:01 PM
One window for multiple sites opened. This is quite handy. Instead of having multiple windows for multiple websites, applications, documents, etc...you have ONE window for all your websites, and the rest of your taskbar can have windows for whatever else you are using (application/document wise).
So it is a taskbar in a taskbar. I still don't see any huge benefit.

KCWolfman
05-21-2005, 07:02 PM
No sympathy here sorry. IE is used by about 85% of the worlds browser traffic. The other 15% need to get on board.

signed,

Bill "Money Bags" Gates
Yup, reminds me of a blacksmith complaining that them new fangled horseless carriages sure don't help his business none.