PDA

View Full Version : ESPN May Power Rankings

KingPriest2
05-17-2005, 11:38 AM
Tuesday, May 17

Power Rankings: New England is No. 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com

With the draft and the main portion of free agency behind us, it's time to check in with our offseason Power Rankings.

ESPN.com's Power Rankings
This week's rankings were determined by a poll of ESPN.com's NFL staff -- writers John Clayton, Len Pasquarelli, Michael Smith, the Insiders from Scouts Inc., and ESPN.com NFL editors Peter Lawrence-Riddell and James C. Black.
The Patriots open on top following their second straight Super Bowl championship. While they've lost some key parts of their championship teams, they still have to be considered the favorites heading into 2005.

A number of teams moved from the last time we ranked them (following Week 17). Despite losing Randy Moss, the Vikings jumped from No. 16 in our final rankings all the way to No. 4. With a number of solid additions on defense (Pat Williams, Fred Smoot, Sam Cowart, Darren Sharper), the Vikings have to be considered the favorites in the NFC North. Staying in the NFC North, the Packers dropped from No. 7 to No. 18, following an offseason that saw them lose starting guards Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle and starting safety Sharper.

Another team that made a big jump is the Cowboys, who leaped from No. 26 to No. 12. Dallas had a solid offseason, adding starters on defense (CB Anthony Henry and DT Jason Ferguson) and offense (OG Rivera and QB Drew Bledsoe) through free agency.

Anyway, on to the rankings. Also, stop by the Power Rankings Show on SportsNation at noon ET to chat with the NFL Power Ranker.

2005 Power Rankings: Offseason
Team Rec. Comment
1 (2) Patriots 14-2-0 The Patriots took some hits this offseason, but with Belichick, Brady, Dillon, Seymour, etc., they're still the team to beat.
2 (3) Eagles 13-3-0 The Terrell Owens saga will obviously continue to be the big story in Philly. Owens can certainly be a headache, but there's also no doubting his talent and that the Eagles are a better team with him on the field.
3 (4) Colts 12-4-0 Offense will obviously be there, but did the Colts do enough in the offseason to help the defense?
4 (16) Vikings 8-8-0 Loss of Randy Moss will impact the offense, but the additions on defense (Pat Williams, Fred Smoot, etc.) should make the Vikings an improved team in 2005 and the favorites in the NFC North.
5 (1) Steelers 15-1-0 We're not trying to preach, but riding a motorcycle without a helmet (as Ben Roethlisberger has said he'll continue to do) is about as smart as playing football without a helmet.
6 (6) Falcons 11-5-0 With Michael Vick's new big contract and some offseason issues, he'll find a decent amount of pressure on him to take his game up to another level.
7 (13) Ravens 9-7-0 The Ravens got Kyle Boller some weapons this offseason, now he has to prove he knows how to use them.
8 (5) Chargers 12-4-0 The Chargers have come a long way since our offseason Power Rankings a year ago, when they were No. 32.
9 (8) Jets 10-6-0 The Jets seem like a good spot for Ty Law. The Jets need another CB and you know Law would be excited to get to play twice a year against the Patriots.
10 (17) Panthers 7-9-0 It's been a tough offseason for the Panthers, but with their talent, they should be back among the NFC's best teams this season.
11 (18) Chiefs 7-9-0 K.C. was all about defense this offseason (signing Kendrell Bell, trading for Patrick Surtain, drafting Derrick Johnson). But will it be enough to make the Chiefs a contender again?
12 (26) Cowboys 6-10-0 With some solid offseason additions, and a weak NFC, the Cowboys should be back in contention for a playoff spot in 2005.
13 (10) Seahawks 9-7-0 They might not have wanted him back, but the Seahawks are a better team with Shaun Alexander running the ball.
14 (11) Jaguars 9-7-0 The Jaguars improved from 5-11 to 9-7 last season. Don't expect another four-win jump, but a playoff spot is a reasonable expectation.
15 (9) Broncos 10-6-0 The Broncos made waves by picking Maurice Clarett in the third round. But would you bet against Mike Shanahan turning him into a solid NFL back?
16 (19) Bengals 8-8-0 The offense, which was No. 10 in the NFL in scoring last year (23.4 points per game), should be even better in 2005 with a more experienced Carson Palmer.
17 (21) Lions 6-10-0 With Roy Williams, Mike Williams and Charles Rogers to throw to, it's an understatement to say the pressure is on Joey Harrington.
18 (7) Packers 10-6-0 The Packers had a tough offseason. But with Favre, Walker and Green back on offense, it's too early to write them off in the NFC North.
19 (12) Bills 9-7-0 The Bills were headed in the right direction at the end of 2004. But can they maintain that momentum with J.P. Losman, essentially a rookie, taking over at QB?
20 (14) Saints 8-8-0 The Saints are such an up-and-down team, trying to predict what they'll do is almost useless.
21 (15) Rams 8-8-0 The Rams might not be much better than they were in 2004. But in the NFC West, that might not matter.
22 (23) Cardinals 6-10-0 In a weak NFC West, the Cardinals have to be considered legitimate playoff contenders heading into the season.
23 (28) Raiders 5-11-0 Offense (Randy Moss and Lamont Jordan) dominated the offseason. But if the defense isn't any better, the Raiders won't be either.
24 (20) Texans 7-9-0 Is this the year David Carr finally takes the next step to be among the NFL's elite QBs?
25 (24) Giants 6-10-0 Eli Manning doesn't need to lead the Giants to the playoffs this year, but he does need to show considerable improvement or he's going to start to feel the heat.
26 (29) Bears 5-11-0 We're actually Thomas Jones fans, but Cedric Benson gives the offense more of an every-down back and more stability.
27 (25) Buccaneers 5-11-0 The Bucs defense isn't good enough anymore to overcome an offense that has averaged just 18.8 points per game each of the last two seasons.
28 (30) Dolphins 4-12-0 The Dolphins didn't have much of a choice when it came to trading Patrick Surtain. But they'll miss him on the field. He's still one of the NFL's best corners.
29 (22) Redskins 6-10-0 If the Redskins finish this low, they'll be sending the No. 4 overall pick in next year's draft to the Broncos.
30 (27) Titans 5-11-0 With a healthy Steve McNair, the Titans can be competitive. But with all the losses this offseason, Tennessee is going to take some lumps this year.
31 (31) Browns 4-12-0 The Browns needed Kellen Winslow to be an impact player for them this year and right now that doesn't look very likely.
32 (32) 49ers 2-14-0 Personally, we would have liked to have seen Mike Nolan in a coat and tie on the sideline.

penguinz
05-17-2005, 11:43 AM
This is ignorant.

cdcox
05-17-2005, 11:48 AM
The #7 team has Kyle Boller at QB. ROFL

Mr. Laz
05-17-2005, 11:52 AM
it's meaningless, but we are right where we probably should be

if our defense actually shows up we will jump up fast

Otter
05-17-2005, 11:56 AM
The #7 team has Kyle Boller at QB. ROFL
Yeah, he's been un-impressive to say the least. I can't see him making it through the whole next season as starter.

That was a reach.

Rain Man
05-17-2005, 11:58 AM
The Falcons have to be the most overrated team in the entire universe.

TRR
05-17-2005, 11:59 AM
Yeah, he's been un-impressive to say the least. I can't see him making it through the whole next season as starter.

That was a reach to say the least.

The Ravens were the only team to not have a WR catch 40 passes. As long as Boller stays a starter at QB, the Ravens don't worry me a bit.

Brock
05-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Insight like this really tempts me to sign up for the insider package.

StcChief
05-17-2005, 12:59 PM
I've never read anything from 'Insider' posted on CP worth a $hit.

Rain Man
05-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Losing Randy Moss really seems to have helped the Vikings.

jarjar
05-17-2005, 01:19 PM
It's pointless to post something like this other than as a fun conversation piece.
That said, if I were going to make power rankings today I figure that's about where KC should be.
Once the season starts and we start winning games that changes of course. :)

Mr. Laz
05-17-2005, 01:22 PM

it MAY have

better chemistry without that @sshat around and it looks like they used the resources dedicated for moss to really improve their defense.

i think Nate Burleson is under rated ... if he can continue to be productive without Moss on the field the vikes won't be as hurt on offense as some people think they will.

will be interesting to see what happens.

milkman
05-17-2005, 08:04 PM

It may have, and the reality of this power ranking thing is that it doesn't matter in the least.
But having said that, how the hell can these buttholes jump the Vikings up 12 spots and the Chiefs only 7 spots when the defensive additions that the Chiefs have made are equal or greater than the ones that the Vikings have made, while, unlike the Vikings, who lost their most feared offensive weapon, the Chiefs haven't lost any significant player on the top rated offense?

|Zach|
05-17-2005, 08:07 PM
This is ignorant.

How so?

It is just a power poll. I thought it shook out pretty fair.

Logical
05-17-2005, 08:15 PM
Big jump, not that it matters. Still the recognition of our offseason moves is reassuring.

Nzoner
05-17-2005, 08:16 PM
How so?

It is just a power poll. I thought it shook out pretty fair.

Sure can't argue with their take on the Raiders

Logical
05-17-2005, 08:18 PM
The Falcons have to be the most overrated team in the entire universe.

Just don't say that Vick is the most overrated QB in the entire universe. They will go all Limbaugh on your ass.

Count Alex's Losses
05-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Just don't say that Vick is the most overrated QB in the entire universe. They will go all Limbaugh on your ass.

My stance on Vick is that he has transcended the position of QB.

Logical
05-17-2005, 08:21 PM
32 (32) 49ers 2-14-0 Personally, we would have liked to have seen Mike Nolan in a coat and tie on the sideline.

What the hell? Does this make any sense?

Logical
05-17-2005, 08:22 PM

That is a different way of looking at it. If you want to say he has essentially created a new position and there is no one else playing it. That seems true.

Nzoner
05-17-2005, 08:23 PM
What the hell? Does this make any sense?

Nolan wanted to wear a coat and tie and the NFL said no.

Logical
05-17-2005, 08:26 PM
Nolan wanted to wear a coat and tie and the NFL said no.

Thanks. May I just say how stupid I sometimes find the NFL executive committee. Why the hell should they find a HC in a coat and tie objectionable. Is classy bad for their reputation. I guess the likes of Hank Stram, Tom Landry and other coaching legends would be unacceptable.

Count Alex's Losses
05-17-2005, 08:28 PM
Thanks. May I just say how stupid I sometimes find the NFL executive committee. Why the hell should they find a HC in a coat and tie objectionable. Is classy bad for their reputation. I guess the likes of Hank Stram, Tom Landry and other coaching legends would be unacceptable.

Coaches are required to wear licensed merchandise.

Nzoner
05-17-2005, 08:33 PM

Here's a thread on it if you're interested. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=116041&highlight=mike+nolan)

whoman69
05-17-2005, 09:18 PM
Tell me you're serious about this statement when he throws for more than 20 TDs in a season and 3000 yards and can come even close to 60% completions. His QB numbers would be just passable in the late 60s or early 70s when they used to throw the ball downfield more than they do now.

Logical
05-17-2005, 09:23 PM
Here's a thread on it if you're interested. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=116041&highlight=mike+nolan)

Thanks, another misguided policy IMO. I wonder if they can really prove that there are enough flea brained dolts who buy NFL gear based on what Head Coaches wear to justify this policy. Oh well they have the most successful league, they make the right calls most of the time.

ChiefsCountry
05-17-2005, 09:43 PM
I agree Ron Mexico is the most overrated player in the league.

Count Alex's Losses
05-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Tell me you're serious about this statement when he throws for more than 20 TDs in a season and 3000 yards and can come even close to 60% completions. His QB numbers would be just passable in the late 60s or early 70s when they used to throw the ball downfield more than they do now.

He's a unique player. The Falcons wouldn't be half the team they are without him.

Amnorix
05-17-2005, 09:56 PM
Thanks, another misguided policy IMO. I wonder if they can really prove that there are enough flea brained dolts who buy NFL gear based on what Head Coaches wear to justify this policy. Oh well they have the most successful league, they make the right calls most of the time.

Money talks, and Reebok pays the NFL mucho dinero to be able to say that everyone on an NFL sideline is wearing Reebok merchandise. Honestly, what do you expect the NFL to do here? Break a contract and give up all that easy dough?

Amnorix
05-17-2005, 09:57 PM
He's a unique player. The Falcons wouldn't be half the team they are without him.

Uniquely overrated.

Seriously -- he MAY grow into the most awesome weapon ever seen at QB, but IMHO he's going to get hurt too often for that to happen. This ain't basketball, and you just can't freelance from the position as much as he tries to do.

Logical
05-17-2005, 10:02 PM
Money talks, and Reebok pays the NFL mucho dinero to be able to say that everyone on an NFL sideline is wearing Reebok merchandise. Honestly, what do you expect the NFL to do here? Break a contract and give up all that easy dough?

Well I had no idea it was in the contract with Reebok. So no I do not expect them to break it.

Now get the hell out of this thread. We are all jealous of you.:p

FringeNC
05-17-2005, 10:34 PM
Falcons #6?

By the way, if MV is damn good, why did the Falcons attempt to run CONSTANTLY against 8-10 man fronts against Philly? The coaching staff had zero confidence in Vick being able to throw the ball.

KingPriest2
05-18-2005, 08:15 AM
Uniquely overrated.

Seriously -- he MAY grow into the most awesome weapon ever seen at QB, but IMHO he's going to get hurt too often for that to happen. This ain't basketball, and you just can't freelance from the position as much as he tries to do.

He has a chance but I doubt it.