PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Geico Insurance?

Otter
05-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Just for kicks I did a quote with them over the internet today. They cut in half what I'm paying a year now for the same exact coverage. Spoke to a customer service rep and all I have to do to change over is pay for the policy.

Anyone have any input in dealing with them? Claims especially.

Ari Chi3fs
05-17-2005, 02:26 PM
BOO!

Frankie
05-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Do they do cars or houses too?

BIG_DADDY
05-17-2005, 02:27 PM
2 claims. The first was just 2 days after I signed up. Some drunk slammed into the back of my pickup parked in front of my house. They were great.

tyton75
05-17-2005, 02:30 PM
I have always wondered about these internet type insurance places myself.. Like Geico and Progressive.. etc...

ROYC75
05-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Geico has saved me a bunch on car insurance, nobody has beat them in prices. I had my car broken into and sideswiped, both times they settled fast, within a month or less.

BTW, I did mine on line, then called them live after I got the insurance quote.

Skip Towne
05-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Never had a claim but they are much cheaper than any other company I tried. GEICO stands for Government Employees Insurance Company. They used to be only for the military but now can insure anyone.

DenverChief
05-17-2005, 02:50 PM
yeah they have cut my monthly payments in half.....haven't had a claim with them

Donger
05-17-2005, 02:52 PM
Haven't even gotten a quote from them. I've been with State Farm for 18 years, and have both cars, home and life policies with them. No way Geico (or anyone else) can match it.

Scaga
05-17-2005, 02:57 PM
I did that same on-line thing with them.
Had a service rep call me back, ask me a few questions...and then.....
they told me to stay where I was at, they couldn't touch it.

BTW...I've been with Progressive for about 10 years now.

Rain Man
05-17-2005, 03:03 PM
It sounds like people on this BB have had good experiences with them. My only knowledge of them is that someone plastered signs on telephone poles in my neighborhood a while back that were (ahem) uncomplimentary about their experience with Geico. Obviously, I don't know the story, though.

ROYC75
05-17-2005, 03:04 PM
That weird ......

Progressive and State farm couldn't come close to my Geico.

morphius
05-17-2005, 03:05 PM
My wife works for an insurance agent, most of their new business is people running away from progressive. She hasn't mentioned geiko much, so it might be better.

My take on having an agent is that you have someone who is fairly expierenced and wants to keep your business so that they will try to work with the mother company a bit more and fight for you a bit, the internet ones its basically you against the company. Just my opinion, and as with most of mine is completely worthless.

Garcia Bronco
05-17-2005, 03:28 PM
I work for an Insurance Agency...the 6th largest is the world.

Get an agent...they'll shop your business around and get you the company that suits you best....travelers...hartford...Progressive....

Otter
05-17-2005, 03:56 PM
Thank for the responses. I think I'm going to give them a try, at least for my truck, then see how it goes from there.

I drive a '95 Pathfinder and plan to keep doing so until my student loans are paid off or until it pukes on me. Whatever happens first. It's not pretty but it's paid off and runs super reliably.

Start with a low-risk assesment of them and take it from there.

Bwana
05-17-2005, 04:02 PM
I think it has a lot to do with "where" you live. I have yet to have any of those guys come close to what I am paying for State Farm. I wish they would because I would drop State Farm in a heartbeat.

ChiTown
05-17-2005, 04:04 PM
I think it has a lot to do with "where" you live. I have yet to have any of those guys come close to what I am paying for State Farm. I wish they would because I would drop State Farm in a heartbeat.

Yeah, that, and they don't give any discounts for recent DUI's..............

Otter
05-17-2005, 04:05 PM

Did I mention there was a Picasso in the back of the Pathfinder Sir?

Bwana
05-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Yeah, that, and they don't give any discounts for recent DUI's..............

Ouch! You got nailed?

Bwana
05-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Did I mention there was a Picasso in the back of the Pathfinder Sir?

The hell you say? ROFL

ChiTown
05-17-2005, 04:07 PM
Ouch! You got nailed?

Last Summer. Was coming home from an all-nighter doing 78 in a 45.......bad news.

Simplex3
05-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Thank for the responses. I think I'm going to give them a try, at least for my truck, then see how it goes from there.

I drive a '95 Pathfinder and plan to keep doing so until my student loans are paid off or until it pukes on me. Whatever happens first. It's not pretty but it's paid off and runs super reliably.

Start with a low-risk assesment of them and take it from there.
Typically you can get deep discounts if you'll buy all of your insurance from one company. State Farm treats us right but we have two cars, house, and life through them. I've had the same agent for 16 years and my parents used him for several before then. When I buy new cars I just call the guy up, he asks a few questions, and never even take the car to him or send him any paperwork. It's nice.

Bwana
05-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Last Summer. Was coming home from an all-nighter doing 78 in a 45.......bad news.

Sorry to hear that bud. I take it easy anymore if I'm driving, but there were times where I would have been up shit creek if I would have been pulled over.

Hoover
05-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Typically you can get deep discounts if you'll buy all of your insurance from one company. State Farm treats us right but we have two cars, house, and life through them. I've had the same agent for 16 years and my parents used him for several before then. When I buy new cars I just call the guy up, he asks a few questions, and never even take the car to him or send him any paperwork. It's nice.
I'm the same way with Farm Bureau. Health, Auto (2), Home the guy treats me right, I get great advice. And I think the rate is very good.

DanT
05-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Here's a message from the famed CEO of the company that GEICO is a part of. To many, the fact that Mr. Buffett speaks so highly of his company's companies would be endorsement enough:
http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/message.html

A Message From Warren E. Buffett, CEO of Berkshire Hathaway Inc.

Dear Reader,

You probably know that I don't make stock recommendations. However, I have three thoughts regarding your personal expenditures that can save you real money. I'm suggesting that you call on the services of three subsidiaries of Berkshire: GEICO, Borsheim's and Berkshire Hathaway Life Insurance Company of Nebraska (BHLN).

I estimate that about 40% of all auto drivers in the country can save money by insuring with GEICO. The figure is not 100% because insurers differ in their underwriting judgments, with some favoring drivers who live in certain geographical areas and work in certain occupations more than GEICO does. I believe, however, that GEICO more frequently offers the low price than does any other national carrier selling insurance to all comers. You can quickly find out whether you can save money by going to www.geico.com or by calling 800-555-2756.

Fine jewelry, watches and giftware will almost certainly cost you less at Borsheim's. I've looked at the figures for all publicly-owned jewelry companies and the contrast with Borsheim's is startling. Our one-store operation, with its huge volume, enables us to operate with costs that are fully 15-20 percentage points below those incurred by our competitors. We pass the benefits of this low-cost structure along to our customers.

Every year Borsheim's sends out thousands of selections to customers who want a long-distance opportunity to inspect what it offers and decide which, if any, item they'd like to purchase. We do a huge amount of business in this low-key way, which allows the shopper to conveniently see the exceptional values that we offer. Call Scot Caniglia or Susan Jacques at Borsheim's (800-642-4438) and save substantial money on your next purchase of jewelry.

Finally, BHLN sells annuity products directly over the internet at its website www.brkdirect.com. Like GEICO and Borsheim's, BHLN maintains a low cost structure and, thus, can offer savings to many customers. By visiting the web-site, you can evaluate the specific products, get quotes and actually make a purchase. Check to see whether one or more of the products meet your financial planning needs.

Sincerely,

Warren E. Buffett

KCChiefsMan
05-17-2005, 06:20 PM

yup, good relationships is great in any kind of business you wish to handle

PastorMikH
05-17-2005, 07:08 PM
I just did the free rate quote. They offered $544/6mo for my auto insurance. I am paying right at $510/6mo with Alstate.

I remember doing a rate quote with them a few years back on my motorcycle. It was going to be 4x what I got the same policy for elsewhere.

Skip Towne
05-17-2005, 07:17 PM
I just did the free rate quote. They offered $544/6mo for my auto insurance. I am paying right at $510/6mo with Alstate.

I remember doing a rate quote with them a few years back on my motorcycle. It was going to be 4x what I got the same policy for elsewhere.
They don't want Bwana either. They must not like rowdies.

cookster50
05-17-2005, 07:26 PM
My wife works for an insurance agent, most of their new business is people running away from progressive. She hasn't mentioned geiko much, so it might be better.

Stay away from Progressive!! They are trying to screw me on my claim against them right now. Looks like I'm going to have to lawyer up!

JazzzLovr
05-17-2005, 08:39 PM
I totalled my truck last year, only 2 or 3 months after switching to Geico. I couldn't drive anywhere at that point, so the local agent brought the check right to my door herself. The wreck happened on the way home from work on a Monday, and I had the check in my hand by the end of the week. No complaints here.

Frazod
05-17-2005, 08:41 PM
I have State Farm. To hell with the rest of them.

Skip Towne
05-17-2005, 08:48 PM
I have State Farm. To hell with the rest of them.
State Farm declined to quote when he heard I had GEICO. It appears though that some companies do better in some areas than in others.

Logical
05-17-2005, 09:03 PM
I am pretty sure that I do not get the lowest rates, but two things keep me with Allstate out here in Ca

Incredibly fast and friendly claims service (I have occasions to have two home claims and 2 car claims in the family)

They wrote me a house policy when no major insurance company in California was doing so (that has been fixed lately)

Earned my business even at higher rates.

ChiTown
05-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Sorry to hear that bud. I take it easy anymore if I'm driving, but there were times where I would have been up shit creek if I would have been pulled over.

Yeah, at the ripe old age of 39, I've finally learned my lesson :mad:

Logical
05-17-2005, 09:17 PM
Yeah, at the ripe old age of 39, I've finally learned my lesson :mad:

I take it you were able to avoid losing your license. Sure would not want to pay your insurance premiums though. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

ChiTown
05-17-2005, 09:22 PM
I take it you were able to avoid losing your license. Sure would not want to pay your insurance premiums though. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Yes. I kept the license because the officer did not show up at the court date. Actually, my insurance premiums only went up $200 for the present year. All in all, I came out of this rather well.

Logical
05-17-2005, 09:25 PM
Yes. I kept the license because the officer did not show up at the court date. Actually, my insurance premiums only went up $200 for the present year. All in all, I came out of this rather well.

You certainly did, seems fortune was smiling on you.

chief52
05-17-2005, 10:30 PM
I was paying my insurance when I saw this topic so I gave them a call. I am paying $481 for two vehicles and their quote was $816 for the same coverage. In fairness to Geico, I have been with Allied for a long time and they insure my house as well as the two cars. Glad I called to check it out...always wondered.

jspchief
05-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Companies like Geico and Progressive are going to be more competitive with certain demographics, while State Farm and All State will be better for others.

I personally use Progressive, and my wife has had several hit and run claims that they've handled well. I've also been in accidents where the other driver was a progressive customer, and I got paid because they were at fault. I've always been happy with their service.

Progressive easily beats anything my two insurance agents can do, even with multiple policy savings from Allied.

chief52
05-17-2005, 10:49 PM
I personally use Progressive, and my wife has had several hit and run claims that they've handled well.

:LOL: " That's her story and she's stickin' to it?? " ROFL

Demonpenz
05-17-2005, 11:53 PM
I am a licensed adjuster but i really have no comments other than make sure your limits are the same. Make sure you get umpd medical etc.